How would you sell Blade?

• 171 results
#1 Posted by Trackz (999 posts) - - Show Bio

Many writers seem to have a problem getting behind this character despite the strong base he has, how would you sell this character to the masses?

#2 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a good character, but i don't think he's worth too much effort.

#3 Posted by Trackz (999 posts) - - Show Bio
@Larkin1388 said:
" He's a good character, but i don't think he's worth too much effort. "
any character that can potentially hold an on-going is worth effort, I feel like marvel should be trying hared with shang-chi and elektra too
#4 Posted by joshmightbe (25009 posts) - - Show Bio
@Trackz: Currently Marvel isn't trying hard with anything they cant tie to wolverine, spider man or the avengers
#5 Posted by Trackz (999 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @Trackz: Currently Marvel isn't trying hard with anything they cant tie to wolverine, spider man or the avengers "
deadpool, moon knight, punisher, etc. are getting pushed. Anyway, this is a topic for another thread, main idea is how would you push this character to make him appeal?
#6 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

while other then a total reboot, he should be helping the xmen cure Jublie. he would have to go on a big quest for the thing that can cure her. something like that. 
#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91357 posts) - - Show Bio
@Trackz said:
deadpool, moon knight, punisher, etc. are getting pushed. 
They also aren't black.
#8 Posted by Trackz (999 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Trackz said:
They also aren't black. "
warmachine
#9 Posted by Vance Astro (91357 posts) - - Show Bio
@Trackz said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @Trackz said:
warmachine "
What about him? 
#10 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

If Marvel needs someone who could write a good Blade story... im the guy.

#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91357 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" If Marvel needs someone who could write a good Blade story... im the guy. "
I'm sure half the people on comic forums could write a better story than the people who are SUPPOSED to know the characters best.
#12 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Caligula said:
" If Marvel needs someone who could write a good Blade story... im the guy. "
I'm sure half the people on comic forums could write a better story than the people who are SUPPOSED to know the characters best. "
very true.
#13 Edited by Vance Astro (91357 posts) - - Show Bio

If Marvel was going to try and sell Blade he should have been a larger part of Curse of the Mutants.That should been a pivotal arc for him.However characters like Jubilee got more spotlight out of the outcome.Storm is proof that a little push from a series as popular as X-men can make a minority character very popular.Blade doesn't have a book and he wasn't a part of pretty much any Marvel events accept Civil War and Secret Invasion.His role was extremely minimal in both.You don't really have to SELL Blade.Gimmicks work for Marvel..they could always apply the same gimmicks to him that they do for other characters.Cameos,attachments to other big name characters etc. etc.Since he's not a joke character he should have no problem staying afloat after a push from gimmicks.Vampires are a popular medium.Sadly comics never seemed to be able to capitalize accept with in Buffy's case.Blade just needs more attachment to mainstream Marvel.If you keep a C-list character around a bunch of other C-list characters...that's where he will stay.He doesn't really have any milestone moments either.You can probably remember hundreds for characters like Wolverine,Hulk,Spider-Man,The F4 etc. But Blade technically doesn't have to exist.Marvel could kill him off now or retcon their history so that he never existed and pretty much nothing would be different.That's what sets him apart from big names.His importance to Marvel itself.

#14 Posted by daredevil21134 (12352 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"If Marvel was going to try and sell Blade he should have been a larger part of Curse of the Mutants.That should been a pivotal arc for him.However characters like Jubilee got more spotlight out of the outcome.Storm is proof that a little push from a series as popular as X-men can make a minority character very popular.Blade doesn't have a book and he wasn't a part of pretty much any Marvel events accept Civil War and Secret Invasion.His role was extremely minimal in both.You don't really have to SELL Blade.Gimmicks work for Marvel..they could always apply the same gimmicks to him that they do for other characters.Cameos,attachments to other big name characters etc. etc.Since he's not a joke character he should have no problem staying afloat after a push from gimmicks.Vampires are a popular medium.Sadly comics never seemed to be able to capitalize accept with in Buffy's case.Blade just needs more attachment to mainstream Marvel.If you keep a C-list character around a bunch of other C-list characters...that's where he will stay.He doesn't really have any milestone moments either.You can probably remember hundreds for characters like Wolverine,Hulk,Spider-Man,The F4 etc. But Blade technically doesn't have to exist.Marvel could kill him off now or retcon their history so that he never existed and pretty much nothing would be different.That's what sets him apart from big names.His importance to Marvel itself. "

True
#15 Posted by Trackz (999 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Trackz said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @Trackz said:
warmachine "
What about him?  "
black character getting a push
#16 Posted by daredevil21134 (12352 posts) - - Show Bio

Blade deserves a monthly book
#17 Posted by tensor (4926 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't think it would go far at all the would have to market him more, an make a really good story for him ,  an if that does not work after the first 4-5 issues that is the end

#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91357 posts) - - Show Bio
@Trackz said:
black character getting a push "
You call what Marvel is doing with War Machine a push? 

@daredevil21134 said:
" Blade deserves a monthly book "
Disagreed.He's not interesting enough.Nobody will read it and it will get cancelled.
#19 Posted by daredevil21134 (12352 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Trackz said:
black character getting a push "
You call what Marvel is doing with War Machine a push? 

@daredevil21134 said:
" Blade deserves a monthly book "
Disagreed.He's not interesting enough.Nobody will read it and it will get cancelled. "

I'm a fan of him so I would love it
#20 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

same here i would read it the movie versions of blade is what made me like the character.

#21 Posted by daredevil21134 (12352 posts) - - Show Bio
@darkcloakx said:
"same here i would read it the movie versions of blade is what made me like the character. "

me too

#22 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

i think what it is that he's  an underdeveloped character who only fight vampire and that it nothing more if they made him more complex and interesting along with some good villians to define him  and a love interest his book might sell well in a ongoing book.

#23 Edited by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio
@darkcloakx: 

Exactly. 

To make a good starting serie about ANY character, you need those basics things : 

1) A long perspective writing, metaplot and all that kind of stuff. 

2) Developpement character,  

3) A love interest or relationship, preferably with his own dynamics. Not necesserally an endless masochist tango or anything, but a real thing that take reader in the guts. 

4) An ennemy that REALLY last more than a story arc. (Superman is really a kind of a flat character, but I think many reader in truth are rooting for Lex Luthor or General Zodd...) 

5) A good story with a good concept to back it up. 

6) Eventually, a good art and a sense of drama. 

The problem with Blade, is that they even't a good long lasting remembering villain, or a really interesting story. Vampire hunt human, kill human, Blade come, kill vampire, Blade go and that is all. Nothing really compelling in the long term. 

The movie were good, ecause not only it gave Blade a sense or unbeliveably badass attitude, it fleshed well the world of Vampire : The magra, he Vampire Society, the conspiracy. The nature of vampirism... there was more than a good few action scene, it had theme and depth. 

Those things are cruelly lacking in the Blade's comics. 

But to be honest to god, those things are cruelly lacking in many comics today. They throw at us half finished story by Fraction or Bendis, with an overall good art, and think they can go with it : that was almost the politics of Image Comics in the nineties...

#24 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

Blade is way to attached to vampires to have a successful monthly.  Vampires get boring fast and Blade would need to have a wider array of villains to be more successful.  I'd have him face  a much wider variety of occult/ supernatural  foes and also heavily involve the rest of Marvel's occult characters in the book in either guest spots, or supporting roles.  A book with just Blade fighting just vampires is very lame.

#25 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

or they could turn blade into a kid and make him go to high school lol like twlight. those movies really sell to the audiences but not me.

#26 Posted by daredevil21134 (12352 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:
"Blade is way to attached to vampires to have a successful monthly.  Vampires get boring fast and Blade would need to have a wider array of villains to be more successful.  I'd have him face  a much wider variety of occult/ supernatural  foes and also heavily involve the rest of Marvel's occult characters in the book in either guest spots, or supporting roles.  A book with just Blade fighting just vampires is very lame. "

agreed
#27 Edited by Vance Astro (91357 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:

" Blade is way to attached to vampires to have a successful monthly.  Vampires get boring fast and Blade would need to have a wider array of villains to be more successful.  I'd have him face  a much wider variety of occult/ supernatural  foes and also heavily involve the rest of Marvel's occult characters in the book in either guest spots, or supporting roles.  A book with just Blade fighting just vampires is very lame. "

It's not the Vampires that are bringing him down.It's the fact that Vampires have no actual significance in the Marvel Universe.If you replace the word Vampires with Mutants (Homo Superior) his role then becomes much more worthwhile, doesn't it? Because Mutants are a huge part of the Marvel Universe so in order for Blade to have any significance..his enemies have to have some also.I think they screwed Blade by not starting him with an epic enemy from the get go.Once he killed Dracula..that kind of made his existence pointless.Dracula is the one Vampire that EVERYONE knows by name because is a license free character.Marvel does have a huge Occult range of characters.Sadly, just like Vampires...Marvel doesn't use them either.The only ones that ever get any exposure are sorcerers.(Strange,Doc Voodoo,Nico,Druid) etc. 

Blade's MAX series was just what you described in your last sentence.A book with Vampires.That's why it was lame.They didn't make it seem like Blade would actually have to struggle to get the job done.It would be like if in Daredevil he only fought Hand Ninjas (although the Hand is more significant that Vampires in the MU).That would get boring quick.It's like Marvel wants you to know they still own Blade but they don't want to make any effort to get you to care about him.
#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34303 posts) - - Show Bio

sell him to Vertigo, they could handle him a lot better

#29 Edited by Vance Astro (91357 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:

" sell him to Vertigo, they could handle him a lot better "

Marvel wouldn't do it because that would technically make him a DC character.
#30 Posted by daredevil21134 (12352 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"@Green Skin said:

" Blade is way to attached to vampires to have a successful monthly.  Vampires get boring fast and Blade would need to have a wider array of villains to be more successful.  I'd have him face  a much wider variety of occult/ supernatural  foes and also heavily involve the rest of Marvel's occult characters in the book in either guest spots, or supporting roles.  A book with just Blade fighting just vampires is very lame. "

It's not the Vampires that are bringing him down.It's the fact that Vampires have no actual significance in the Marvel Universe.If you replace the word Vampires with Mutants (Homo Superior) his role then becomes much more worthwhile, doesn't it? Because Mutants are a huge part of the Marvel Universe so in order for Blade to have any significance..his enemies have to have some also.I think they screwed Blade by not starting him with an epic enemy from the get go.Once he killed Dracula..that kind of made his existence pointless.Dracula is the one Vampire that EVERYONE knows by name because is a license free character.Marvel does have a huge Occult range of characters.Sadly, just like Vampires...Marvel doesn't use them either.The only ones that ever get any exposure are sorcerers.(Strange,Doc Voodoo,Nico,Druid) etc.  Blade's MAX series was just what you described in your last sentence.A book with Vampires.That's why it was lame.They didn't make it seem like Blade would actually have to struggle to get the job done.It would be like if in Daredevil he only fought Hand Ninjas (although the Hand is more significant that Vampires in the MU).That would get boring quick.It's like Marvel wants you to know they still own Blade but they don't want to make any effort to get you to care about him. "

I don't understand why they woudln't care, if he's done right he can make them money it makes no sense to me
#31 Posted by Vance Astro (91357 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
" @Vance Astro said:
"@Green Skin said:

It's not the Vampires that are bringing him down.It's the fact that Vampires have no actual significance in the Marvel Universe.If you replace the word Vampires with Mutants (Homo Superior) his role then becomes much more worthwhile, doesn't it? Because Mutants are a huge part of the Marvel Universe so in order for Blade to have any significance..his enemies have to have some also.I think they screwed Blade by not starting him with an epic enemy from the get go.Once he killed Dracula..that kind of made his existence pointless.Dracula is the one Vampire that EVERYONE knows by name because is a license free character.Marvel does have a huge Occult range of characters.Sadly, just like Vampires...Marvel doesn't use them either.The only ones that ever get any exposure are sorcerers.(Strange,Doc Voodoo,Nico,Druid) etc.  Blade's MAX series was just what you described in your last sentence.A book with Vampires.That's why it was lame.They didn't make it seem like Blade would actually have to struggle to get the job done.It would be like if in Daredevil he only fought Hand Ninjas (although the Hand is more significant that Vampires in the MU).That would get boring quick.It's like Marvel wants you to know they still own Blade but they don't want to make any effort to get you to care about him. "
I don't understand why they woudln't care, if he's done right he can make them money it makes no sense to me "
Marvel owns a crap load of popular characters.They don't actually need Blade.
#32 Edited by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

okay well make him like daredevil give him a day job and a weakness and it will probably sell. the movies sell well people love vampires just look at twlight & underworld. although i think underworld has better stories than crappy twilght. 

also i wish marvel would bring back toxin & hybrid cause their awesome  and the potenial is there.

#33 Posted by daredevil21134 (12352 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
" @Vance Astro said:
"@Green Skin said:

I don't understand why they woudln't care, if he's done right he can make them money it makes no sense to me "
Marvel owns a crap load of popular characters.They don't actually need Blade. "

I'm sure they don't but why not add another money maker to the group
#34 Posted by atom895 (71 posts) - - Show Bio
i would give him a monthly but their is one thing that keeps blade from being a major character in  marvel. hes always been considered a character who deals with supernatural "threats". mainstream appeals to a wide variety of "threats". if blade cant appeal to a larger audience he will never rise to the popularity or success of spiderman, wolverine. hulk, thor etc. i actually like blade because of his attitude and method of heroics. hes never given the recognition or attention deserved.
#35 Posted by Trackz (999 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
" @Vance Astro said:
"@Green Skin said:

Marvel owns a crap load of popular characters.They don't actually need Blade. "

Not a very good argument to make, vampires are as diverse as mutants, and we're only seeing that recently, while the x-men do branch out, no one ever argues how boring mutants are. Moreover, Blade can branch out and tackle other threats, just see how he's being used under Millar. He just took out a hulk. The notion that since marvel has other popular characters (whih isn't really true,there are only a select few who can hold a series)is erronius as well. If you wereable to make money off another one of your properties (and have made money) why woldn't you push that character. Marvel knows Blade is popular. I mean they put him in two videogames and gave him an anime this year, they just don't now wht todo with him in comics.  
#36 Posted by daredevil21134 (12352 posts) - - Show Bio

And that a damn shame
#37 Posted by cody1984 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Trackz said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @Trackz said:
warmachine "
What about him?  "

Can you explain Black Panther and Storm then?
#38 Posted by BilltheButcher502 (5 posts) - - Show Bio
@cody1984:   Don't know anything about Black Panther unless because he married Storm in some recent issue. That probably helps explain his "popularity" plus the fact that he's the African version of the Phantom, I think. Storm is hot so I guess that helps explain why she's popular with readers, sex sells, no what I'm sayin? 
#39 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked him in the 90's Spider-Man show as well.

#40 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

Give him a catchphrase and a cool new haircut. "YOU'VE BEEN BLADED, MOTHERF&#KER!".

#41 Posted by BilltheButcher502 (5 posts) - - Show Bio
he does need a hairdo makeover and probably a wardrobe change as well, it just doesn't sit well if he kinda reminds you of a certain fighter in Tekken 
#42 Posted by MoonKnightFan123 (271 posts) - - Show Bio

If the threat isn't real, nobody's gonna take it seriously.

#43 Posted by daredevil21134 (12352 posts) - - Show Bio
@BilltheButcher502 said:
he does need a hairdo makeover and probably a wardrobe change as well, it just doesn't sit well if he kinda reminds you of a certain fighter in Tekken 
Well Blade had that look way before Raven stole it
#44 Posted by Vance Astro (91357 posts) - - Show Bio
@Trackz said:
Not a very good argument to make, vampires are as diverse as mutants, and we're only seeing that recently, while the x-men do branch out, no one ever argues how boring mutants are. Moreover, Blade can branch out and tackle other threats, just see how he's being used under Millar. He just took out a hulk. The notion that since marvel has other popular characters (whih isn't really true,there are only a select few who can hold a series)is erronius as well. If you wereable to make money off another one of your properties (and have made money) why woldn't you push that character. Marvel knows Blade is popular. I mean they put him in two videogames and gave him an anime this year, they just don't now wht todo with him in comics.  
Clearly you're saying this because you're a Blade fan.There is no logical basis for what you're saying.You can't compare Vampires to Mutants in the Marvel Universe.The diversity doesn't matter.The FACT is that Mutants make up a HUGE part of the superhero population and MOST Marvel comics are superhero based.Blade CAN branch out an tackle other threads but that's not the point of his character.How are you going to say that Marvel having other popular characters is erroneous (you spelled it wrong BTW) when it's not.Captain America,Daredevil,Black Panther,Wolverine,Hulk,Spider-Man,Thor,Deadpool,etc.have had their own books for years.Marvel is the top publisher of comics and pull in far more money than everyone else.Thus my point about Marvel having plenty of characters to make money off of was true.Blade is only popular to people to who don't read comics.Which is clearly why he doesn't have a comic.
#45 Posted by moviegeek17 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

Simple. Hey moviegoers remember those two kickass balde films? well he has a kickass comic now! and you should totally buy it!!!!!!!!!!

watching the films was how i got into him pretty much like everyone else lol

#46 Posted by D3athstroke (4088 posts) - - Show Bio

Blade vs Cain = Mind Blown = Sales Over 90000000000

#47 Posted by Joesoef95 (315 posts) - - Show Bio

I always wandered why Blade got 3 movies when his comics were never popular? Or was it popular the time the first Blade came out?

#48 Posted by Jake Fury (19153 posts) - - Show Bio

Blade, he hunts vampires, correct? Well there are plenty of other supernatural beings out there besides vampires. I'd expand his range to include any and all supernatural creatures. Vampires, werewolves, things that go bump in the night, who you gonna call? BLADE!  

Give him a couple of guest stars to get the series going and I think you might have something. Heck, let him work closely with Dr. Strange to track down these supernatural threats. Have Steve Rogers enlist him to deal with the kind of things that the Avengers aren't used to dealing with. I'm not saying the series would be a huge success but it'd be somewhat interesting.
#49 Edited by VprVnmSRT10 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: I agree with what you said. Blade is a gimmick character. The TV series, the movies, COTM etc. He garnered enough interest in those situation for Marvel to sell more comics. I loved the Blade TV Series, but alot of people didn't and it got canned after 1 really short season. Blade wont be succesful if he gets his own book.

@daredevil21134: I love Blade as a character, but 2 people wont help keep Blade sucessful enough as an ongoing series. I am not saying that we are the only 2 people that like him. Blade would have to match sales of the existing big books or even outsell the big books for anyone to take real notice of him.

#50 Posted by Trackz (999 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@Trackz said:
Clearly you're saying this because you're a Blade fan.There is no logical basis for what you're saying.You can't compare Vampires to Mutants in the Marvel Universe.The diversity doesn't matter.The FACT is that Mutants make up a HUGE part of the superhero population and MOST Marvel comics are superhero based.Blade CAN branch out an tackle other threads but that's not the point of his character.How are you going to say that Marvel having other popular characters is erroneous (you spelled it wrong BTW) when it's not.Captain America,Daredevil,Black Panther,Wolverine,Hulk,Spider-Man,Thor,Deadpool,etc.have had their own books for years.Marvel is the top publisher of comics and pull in far more money than everyone else.Thus my point about Marvel having plenty of characters to make money off of was true.Blade is only popular to people to who don't read comics.Which is clearly why he doesn't have a comic.
Vampires definitely outnumber Mutants in the current marvel universe. Blade is a just as much a super hero as any other marvel character when it comes to comics, he has been written to take out any number of super natural threats, the fact that Marvel hasn't really used him to that capacity is silly (and may soon be done away with since they're thinking of putting him on the Avengers). Tom Brevoort has stated that the most popular characters are those that have been around the longest, they're having a tough time selling ANY character who hasn't had their own book, the fact that Blade has had plenty of commercial success does separate him from many other b-list characters. I never stated that Marvel didn't have a lot of other popular characters was wrong, I refuted your belief that because marvel has plenty of successful characters already, they shouldn't try to push others. Especially one with clear potential. He doesn't have a comic because he doesn't matter in the 616 universe. In order to sell characters the stories they are in need to matter and have lasting effects, which is why Marvel has recently elevated the vampires to a higher threat level.  

Everything I'm saying I'm taking from direct statements from employees are marvel. Not sure what you're disagreeing with.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.