Follow

Blade

Character » Blade appears in 745 issues.

A human-vampire hybrid with all the strengths but none of the weaknesses of a traditional vampire, Blade has dedicated his life to destroying the occult world of vampires and all who associate with them.

How Marvel should reintroduce Blade into Movies

• 56 results
    phantom1527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By phantom1527

How Marvel should reintroduce Blade into its Cinematic Universe

No Caption Provided

1. Cast Mahershala Ali

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

He is not exactly a household name, but he showed some legitimate acting chops in both House of Cards (particularly in Season 2) and in the Movie “Predators” as the Sierre Leone Death Squad Soldier. Although Wesley Snipes portrayal as Blade probably cannot be topped (After the success of the movie, Marvel changed the character within the comics to be more like Snipes’s portrayal in the 616 universe and especially in the Ultimate Universe), but his combination of a superhero’s build (he’s 6’2” and pretty built) and onscreen presence (although his time in “Predators” was short, his character’s imposing presence amongst other killers was definitely felt) should produce a quality anti-hero or dark protagonist. Also, the quiet/understated confidence, intelligence, sense of realness and passion he brings to the role, as Remy Danton in “House of Cards” would bode well to a somewhat isolated character like Blade. Throw in a few one-liners the way Snipes did and I think you’d have a successful Eric Brooks.

2. Make Draconis the first Antagonist.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Although Deacon Frost and Dracula are Blade’s main enemies, I think a Deacon Frost centered movie would be too similar to the first Blade movie and I think Dracula should be saved as a villain. Most Blade movies feature him slicing through hundreds of vampires, so it would be cool to see him fight a vampire that is immensely powerful (even more so than Blade) by feeding on other vampires, and whose sole mission is to kill Blade. All of Snipes movies center on Blade being the hunter so it might be refreshing to see him as the hunted. I would love to see James Purefoy (Joe Carroll in “The Following”) portray this role.

3. Make Blade about 100 years old.

In both Marvel comics and most vampire lore, vampires become more powerful as they age. Blade often appears to be at least 10 times more powerful than the average vampire even though technically he isn’t any stronger than them. He’s just immune to silver, garlic, sunlight and holy water. This would make it clear as to why Blade is so deadly and would further explain why Blade runs through 99% of vampires and is so skilled in martial arts and with various weapons. Also, since vampires don’t age, Ali could still fit the cast. It also makes sense to amp up Blade’s power levels somewhat to make him more comparable to Marvel’s other cinematic characters.

4. Make the sequel a Blade and Werewolf by Night team up against Dracula.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

In the comics, Dracula has defeated the whole X-Men team and has been a nemesis to powerful beings like Apocalypse. It would make sense for Blade to need major help to defeat him. I think this team up movie could be the precursor to a Midnight Sons movie.

5. Make a Midnight Sons Movie

No Caption Provided

It seems pretty clear that Marvel really wants to make a Dr. Strange movie in Phase 3, so it would make sense to incorporate the Midnight Sons. This could allow Dr. Strange to be the star of his own team and it would also allow Marvel to make darker-toned movies, which they probably wouldn’t want to do with their Avengers characters. They might want to add other characters (not Morbius though because he probably belongs to Sony/Spiderman) to make a more complete team, but I think the two most important characters would be Dr. Strange due to his popularity and impending movie and Blade because he’s already produced a successful franchise. If Dormamu isn’t used in a Dr. Strange film, I think he could be a good villain. I also think they could use the Switchblade storyline and have a possessed Blade be the villain.

6. Make a Midnight Sons and Avengers Team up

No Caption Provided

This probably wouldn’t happen, but it would be pretty cool to see a movie where the two teams had to fight Loki and Mephisto or something along those lines

Your Thoughts?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Make him English like he is in the comics

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I loved this...

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

me too

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the Defenders netflix shows would be the perfect place to introduce Blade into the MCU

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jonny_anonymous: You seem to have a serious obsession with Blade being English.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I already know that. But you seem to mention it a lot.

I'm not against Blade acknowledging it or anything myself. But it isn't a huge part of him.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I'm not against Blade acknowledging it or anything myself. But it isn't a huge part of him.

Because I'm sick of writers making him American like the films, not every character needs to be American.

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By cascadeking09

*applauds* I can tell this was very well thought out.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the popularity of the movies I think the closest thing you'll get to an English Blade is a mention here or there. I could see most casual fans not liking him with an english accent since movie Blade is pretty much viewed as the definite version of Blade now.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Its not like he ran around with a flag shooting insurgents and saying go team America

PaypayTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

screw avengers team up

Blade

Moon Knight

Black Panther

Ghost Rider

Punisher

do movie call Knights of Marvel

shit will sell tickets like gangbusters !

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I'd be down for a Blade movie.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Spideysense44

Marvel won't make a Midnights Son movie but it would be cool if they ever do

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Yea so? That's still doesn't make him not American. Shall we make Ant Man norwegian in his movie?

@blackwind said:

With the popularity of the movies I think the closest thing you'll get to an English Blade is a mention here or there. I could see most casual fans not liking him with an english accent since movie Blade is pretty much viewed as the definite version of Blade now.

I don't see how it would be that big of a turn off

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Yea so? That's still doesn't make him not American. Shall we make Ant Man norwegian in his movie?

@daredevil21134 said:

@blackwind said:

Cause people are too used to the movies,cartoons and video games all in which he has an American accent. Even before the movies he never had an English accent and they never really akknowleged him being English.Personally I don't have a problem with him being English at all but in every form of media he's really not shown to be, so you can see how that may through some fans off.Just trying to show you how it may through people off lol

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm up for a new blade film. Truly looking forward to it. The first one was spendid. I hope they keep it dark and serious.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@blackwind said:

Cause people are too used to the movies,cartoons and video games all in which he has an American accent. Even before the movies he never had an English accent and they never really akknowleged him being English.Personally I don't have a problem with him being English at all but in every form of media he's really not shown to be, so you can see how that may through some fans off.Just trying to show you how it may through people off lol

He's not American and I will never accept as one.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Erik

My fan-cast for the leading role of Blade:

Dane DeHaan
    Dane DeHaan
    DJ Qualls
    DJ Qualls

They can pull off English accents, I'm sure.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@blackwind said:

He's not American and I will never accept as one.

You don't have to and I understand why you won't.The point I was making is I don't see Marvel caring to much about his English background because of the movies and the movies pretty much run the comics now. Hey as long as he is English who cares if they don't talk about it , at least you know he is lol

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Its not like it really matters if Ant-Man was shot by Norwegians I would expect him to be Norwegian in their films not bending to imaginary rules and what not. What would be the big difference between a British Blade or an American one besides the accent ?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

My fan-cast for the leading role of Blade:

Dane DeHaan
    Dane DeHaan
    DJ Qualls
    DJ Qualls

They can pull off English accents, I'm sure.

No thanks lol

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@kgb725: By that logic we shouldn't be aloud any minority characters because most of the creators are straight white males.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: By that logic we shouldn't be aloud any minority characters because most if the creators are straight white males.

Interesting debate going on here

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: By your logic they would have to be just like their comic interpretations. I just dont think its bad to branch out from the comics sometimes. Especially when his American version is actually successful

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik: You could have at least chosen someone more manly.

No Caption Provided

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: So shall we just make every character American to make them more successful?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Did it piss you off when Banshee was made American in the X-Men FC film? I was like "come on, how can it be that difficult to give him an accent when both Magneto and Xavier have one?"

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Why would they change Blade closer to his comic interpretation when he couldn't sustain his own books and it wouldn't be the same character that worked in the film which could potentially lead to a disaster for him. On top of that many people would think its typical Disney making him just like the other characters in the phase 1&2 films by cracking jokes a lot

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: You think Blade will fail just by changing his nationality? Seriously?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

@jonny_anonymous: Why would they change Blade closer to his comic interpretation when he couldn't sustain his own books and it wouldn't be the same character that worked in the film which could potentially lead to a disaster for him. On top of that many people would think its typical Disney making him just like the other characters in the phase 1&2 films by cracking jokes a lot

I'm talking about making him British like he is in the comics and you said making him like that would be a disaster

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@farkam: @daredevil21134: Just wait until you see them in a leather long coat and dark, moody lighting. You'll change your tune for sure!

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

That's kind of why I can't see Marvel doing that.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kgb725

@jonny_anonymous: Sorry for the confusion but I dont mean his nationality wouldn't work. I mean the way he is portrayed in the comics may not work in live action now

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: He's pretty much the same in the comics, or he is now at least.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: @jonny_anonymous: @daredevil21134: If then writers acknowledged Blade as English and even gave us some insight on how Blade perceives himself as an British man, that would be more than enough for me. I thinknjt adds a bit more to his character that he does not share the origins of most black men in comics, even ignoring the vampire thing.

I mean, c'mon! He was taken care of by prostitutes for a while and that never messed with him as an adult. *coughsRorschachcoughs*

No accent is needed. And honestly it would feel wrong. Blade was using American jive when he first appeared. And even to this day his dialogue would not work with an English accent. His speech patterns would sound wrong as hell.

Regardless, I would even be accepting of him being able to fake a perfect accent when in his country. I think Blade is worldly enough to do so after nearly 100 years.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind: I don't see how an English accent would be wrong, there not all cockneys and James Bond he could speak like Idris Elba.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: It just would not fit in my opinion as a usual speaking voice. If he could imitate one, that would be more than fine.

It would also not make much sense since he travels so much. And again because he was using American jive when he first appeared. And I strongly don't believe he was calling vampires "You motherin' piece of scum." in any type of European tone.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: @jonny_anonymous: @daredevil21134: If then writers acknowledged Blade as English and even gave us some insight on how Blade perceives himself as an British man, that would be more than enough for me. I thinknjt adds a bit more to his character that he does not share the origins of most black men in comics, even ignoring the vampire thing.

I mean, c'mon! He was taken care of by prostitutes for a while and that never messed with him as an adult. *coughsRorschachcoughs*

No accent is needed. And honestly it would feel wrong. Blade was using American jive when he first appeared. And even to this day his dialogue would not work with an English accent. His speech patterns would sound wrong as hell.

Regardless, I would even be accepting of him being able to fake a perfect accent when in his country. I think Blade is worldly enough to do so after nearly 100 years.

All interesting points

phantom1527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By phantom1527

@blackwind said:

All interesting points

I feel like Snipes' Blade is so engrained in everybody's head, that a Blade that doesn't speak at least somewhat similarly to Snipes' Blade would seem odd. And considering Disney/Marvel gave Black Widow a completely American accent even though she's either Russian or some sort of Eastern European I doubt they make Blade English

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@daredevil21134 said:

@blackwind said:

All interesting points

I feel like Snipes' Blade is so engrained in everybody's head, that a Blade that doesn't speak at least somewhat similarly to Snipes' Blade would seem odd. And considering Disney/Marvel gave Black Widow a completely American accent even though she's either Russian or some sort of Eastern European I doubt they make Blade English

Russian spies don't have russian accents

phantom1527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Not even around people like Fury who know everything about her? And in some of the animated marvel movies she has an accent.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By daredevil21134

@jonny_anonymous: Not even around people like Fury who know everything about her? And in some of the animated marvel movies she has an accent.

I love when they make Widow have an accent.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By dernman

The shouldn't reintroduce him into the MCU.

Why? For the same reason you shouldn't bring any magic character there. Magic doesn't exist in the cinematic universe. Blad will be no different from Morbius if he's brought there.

Seriously people will disagree but I think Marvel should create a second universe for their magic characters.

Not every character has to be in the same universe. They can separate the universes by genre.

The typical Superhero stuff over here and the supernatural, horror, magic stuff over there.

phantom1527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

The shouldn't reintroduce him into the MCU.

Why? For the same reason you shouldn't bring any magic character there. Magic doesn't exist in the cinematic universe. Blad will be no different from Morbius if he's brought there.

Seriously people will disagree but I think Marvel should create a second universe for their magic characters.

Not every character has to be in the same universe. They can separate the universes by genre.

The typical Superhero stuff over here and the supernatural, horror, magic stuff over there.

I'd actually love that. Make a midnight sons universe and have Blade, Dr. Strange, Werewolf by Night, Dracula, Ghost Rider, Mephisto, Dormamu all those guys. That'd be fantastic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.