Blade, where are all his powers?

#1 Posted by BlackPanther (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I guess its not only me who can tell that marvel has cheated us. They say that blade has all the vampire powers and none of there weaknesses? Well where are they then?

Ok-ok-ok. Dracula has all the vampire powers and he can shape shift, fly and do more than blade.

Sure blade has an extensive power range, but that’s nothing considering he’s a demon with no soul and shouldn’t have any weaknesses. He’s immortal unlike wolverine (marvel said this, don’t bite my head off objecting).

But I’m thinking maybe he hasn’t realized them or just doesn’t use his other powers because he wants to be as human as possible… But then I think that maybe he just doesn’t have then. it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to consider that this may be one of the major reasons why his comics never really sell. Ok he can travel into the supernatural realm and smell demons. Well how is this gonna help when he’s fighting Hulk, who is hell-bent on going down fighting and taking the world and all its inhabitants with him. I like the idea of blade, and the first two movies kicked butt (the last one left much to be desired). But I thing marvel lied about him have all their strengths.

Maybe I’m missing something… if so, do me a favour and tell me.

#2 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Legitimate argument.

#3 Posted by Hellshot (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, honestly I've thought about the same thing, and honestly I just don't think the comics and movies do him justice. I saw the whole pole about Buffy vs. Blade and the result is Buffy is better, please don't think for one second I didn't think that was a load of melarchy (I have a swearing problem so I'm trying to cut back). Anyway, I was wondering why no one has just tried to petition there to be a new generation of Blade, just have him re-done with all the powers. I mean Marvel has started doing new things with other characters why not do that with him. Honestly, I've been wanting to do a story with Blade having a daughter and in last act to keep her alive he taps into vampiric side (which like what you said may be the reason he doesn't use all of his vampiric powers) and unleashes his powers ten fold doing all of this without the use of blood. Ultimately, that lands him dead... In respect to her father she caries his trademark sunglasses, trench coat, and you best believe his sword with a few modifications. Right now it's just an idea, but if people actually like the thought of it I may put some work into it.

(not sure who'd make a good mother to her, I thought maybe Elektra, Echo, or maybe some random person... like I said it's just an idea for now)

#4 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Dracula's powers aren't Vampire powers, but rather powers that come from somewhere else, like a magic tome or something. Personally, I like having Blade low-level. Low level means more interesting fights. Goku versus Broly? Boring. Deathstroke versus Green Arrow? Immensely fun. But, yeah, I would like to see Blade have a real series, that doesn't crash and burn after the first issue.

#5 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

i think blade's boring because he's boring, not because of his powers. how many vampire hunter stories do we need? how many vampire hunters do we need?

#6 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition writes:

"i think blade's boring because he's boring, not because of his powers. how many vampire hunter stories do we need? how many vampire hunters do we need?"

We need ninety hundred thousand more. You don't want those dirty, human mosquitos running around unchallenged, do you?!

#7 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Gottheit says:

"Apparition writes: "i think blade's boring because he's boring, not because of his powers. how many vampire hunter stories do we need? how many vampire hunters do we need?" We need ninety hundred thousand more. You don't want those dirty, human mosquitos running around unchallenged, do you?!"

i guess not, but then the better the vampire hunter, he less of them we need. so how good could blade be when he has ninety hundred thousand friends helping out?

#8 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh? Dude, I'm saying that no matter how good one vampire hunter is, one or even twenty isn't enough. Them bloodsuckers spring up like lice, and it would be impossible for a small team to actually keep them to a reasonable number, much less kill them forever.

#9 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

if they were good enough that small team could do it or even one really really good one could wipe them off the face of the planet. but i guess we'll never have really good vampire hunters. just these cheap losers... oh well :(

#10 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

App, why do you keep disrespecting vampire hunters? You know what a thankless job that is? They don't have a union, they don't even get hazard pay! The least you could do is show a little respect to those brave men and women in the graveyards, doing the job none of us are willing to do.

#11 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

i'd do it!!!! but then i tend to sleep at night.... and i never really liked graveyards.... and all that blood.... and the fangs.... and not just blood but sucking blood....

#12 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Well then, there you go, white devil! So, you gonna be a little nicer to all the Blades and Buffys and Ds out there?

#13 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

well i'm a little more of a light brown devil but.... i'll be nicer to vampire hunter d but that's where i draw the line!!!

#14 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, that's a start...careful he doesn't goose you though, he certainly is prone to roaming hands...

#15 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah and its got a little face and everything! i'll be very careful around that freak, who i respect for his immense vampire hunting prowess!

#16 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Very good, then.

#17 Posted by lionel hunter (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

blade doesn't have the vampire powers because of the antidote he takes

#18 Posted by hell-spawn (121 posts) - - Show Bio

lionel hunter says:

"blade doesn't have the vampire powers because of the antidote he takes "

I'm not sure I can take that as a legitimate reason, sure in the films this was why but in the comics blade should be stronger. can anybody think of a good storyline that would sound interesting?

#19 Posted by BlackPanther (511 posts) - - Show Bio

i would have it set in a world where vampires have won and blade has to fight other monsters not just vampires.

#20 Posted by ulitmateninjagaidenx (2064 posts) - - Show Bio

how the hell is buffy better?  blade is way better and more badass then buffy let alone  beat her.

#21 Posted by Tracks (144 posts) - - Show Bio

question another thing it states (in his over view) is that he has mastery of all martial arts, when was this stated?

#22 Posted by speedlgt (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

well I think what marvel means is that most of the things that hurt  a vampire dont hurt him. Remember that regular vampire methos is that the older a vamp is the more powerful he is. I dont know how old blade is but hes not like an elder of master.

Buffy is better because of the methos between a vamp and a woman.  there is something very sexual about vamps in general and being able to prey on women has aways been what a vamp does. buffy is the contrast to that a cool chick that kills vamps that makes for a great story. Blade has about zero personality. hes boring end of story. I dont hink it matters who writes it its not the story its him. D and alucard are way cooler vamp hunters, bood is too.  And the whole underworld thing is way better and with that there you go more vamp stories than you need and blade whos mister roboto gets lost in the mix.

#23 Posted by BlackPanther (511 posts) - - Show Bio
speedlgt said:
"well I think what marvel means is that most of the things that hurt  a vampire dont hurt him. Remember that regular vampire methos is that the older a vamp is the more powerful he is. I dont know how old blade is but hes not like an elder of master.

Buffy is better because of the methos between a vamp and a woman.  there is something very sexual about vamps in general and being able to prey on women has aways been what a vamp does. buffy is the contrast to that a cool chick that kills vamps that makes for a great story. Blade has about zero personality. hes boring end of story. I dont hink it matters who writes it its not the story its him. D and alucard are way cooler vamp hunters, bood is too.  And the whole underworld thing is way better and with that there you go more vamp stories than you need and blade whos mister roboto gets lost in the mix."
OK I agree with a few of your points but saying Blade is boring simply on his personality is pointless. D is just as boring as Blade when it comes down to their personalities but its their story that sells it. Unfortunately there has not been a writer capable of portraying his story in the right fashion. We need to see a darker and gritty comic, rather than a superhero party. Atleast the writers of MI:13 seem to understand this.
#24 Posted by Trackz (983 posts) - - Show Bio

he seems to be getting all his vampire powers in MI:13 in the preview he explains how his healing works, and its a lot more impressive than I thought

#25 Edited by hell-spawn (121 posts) - - Show Bio

I finally have an answer!!!

Well judging from the portrayal of vampires in both marvel and other literature, it appears that Blade HAS ALL the vampire powers, however they wont manifest until he grows older. Its pretty well known that the older a vampire the stronger it is and if Blade does have their powers, then his powers should technically work the same way. It has been shown that pure blood vampire (which were born vampires) tend to manifest and learn to control their powers slowly as they age and when the powers do develop they are very powerful (more powerful than any bitten vampire can ever hope to be). So from the fact that Blade was born a Dhampir (instead of being bitten) his powers should be similar.
Also it has been shown that Dracula is not the most ancient vampire in the marvel universe. He is the father of modern vampires, however there are much more ancient and powerful vampires than him. So this also supports the theory that with age a vampire develops more powers.
#26 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio
@Apparition said:
"

i think blade's boring because he's boring, not because of his powers. how many vampire hunter stories do we need? how many vampire hunters do we need?

"
well how many main stream vampire hunters are their I can only think of 5 to 7 off the top of my head
#27 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio
@SUNMAN said:
"@Apparition said:
"

"
well how many main stream vampire hunters are their I can only think of 5 to 7 off the top of my head
"

5-7???  that's waaaaaaayyyyyy too many!!
#28 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio
@SUNMAN said:
"@Apparition said:
"

"
"

5-7???  that's waaaaaaayyyyyy too many!!
#29 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio
@Apparition said:
" @SUNMAN said:
"@Apparition said:
"

"
"
5-7???  that's waaaaaaayyyyyy too many!! "
yeah but their all from different companies/worlds/universes etc. you get where I am going

off the Top of my head the Vampire hunters that come to mind are Blade, Van Hellsing, Saya, Vampire Hunter D, Angel, Buffy and their crews.

Out of this list only 4 of the hunters are vampires/Dhamphirers. It would be 5 if I added on Angels son.

So I do not feel its too much.

Marvel has theirs, there are a handful of manga/anime ones but Vampire Hunter D and Saya are the most Iconic. Van Hellsing is the old school generation. While Angel and Buffy are Joss Whedon verse.

And each one of these Vampire hunters is unique, so I think vampire hunters are interesting as long as you keep coming out with original stories and do not over saturate the market with them

#30 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio
@SUNMAN said:
"@Apparition said:
" @SUNMAN said:
"@Apparition said:
"

"
"
yeah but their all from different companies/worlds/universes etc. you get where I am going

off the Top of my head the Vampire hunters that come to mind are Blade, Van Hellsing, Saya, Vampire Hunter D, Angel, Buffy and their crews.

Out of this list only 4 of the hunters are vampires/Dhamphirers. It would be 5 if I added on Angels son.

Marvel has theirs, there are a handful of manga/anime ones but Vampire Hunter D and Saya are the most Iconic. Van Hellsing is the old school generation. While Angel and Buffy are Joss Whedon verse.

And each one of these Vampire hunters is unique, so I think vampire hunters are interesting as long as you keep coming out with original stories and do not over saturate the market with them

"
i see what youre saying but to me, it already feels like the market is over saturated.  even in marvel blade was part of a group, with van helsing and van helsing's daughter and then that one vampire detective who didnt die when they used the montesi formula because he had never taken a human's blood, there were more, but i cant remember.  i'm just soooo over vampire hunters.  but that's just me :)
#31 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio
@Apparition said:
" @SUNMAN said:
"@Apparition said:
" @SUNMAN said:
"@Apparition said:
"

"
"

"
i see what youre saying but to me, it already feels like the market is over saturated.  even in marvel blade was part of a group, with van helsing and van helsing's daughter and then that one vampire detective who didnt die when they used the montesi formula because he had never taken a human's blood, there were more, but i cant remember.  i'm just soooo over vampire hunters.  but that's just me :) "
Okay I understand what you are saying. You make a good point. I probably read comics at a different pace than you do so it does not bother me. And aside from Blade comics and a few anime's/tv shows/movies I do not really follow vampire media a great deal so it is still fresh to me.
#32 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio
@SUNMAN said:
"Okay I understand what you are saying. You make a good point. I probably read comics at a different pace than you do so it does not bother me. And aside from Blade comics and a few anime's/tv shows/movies I do not really follow vampire media a great deal so it is still fresh to me. "
yeah and its probably my fault cause i've read a lot of vampire stuff.  comics, manga, novels, then watched vampire movies, anime... so i'm super sensitive to it all :(
#33 Posted by Lantern Prime (13044 posts) - - Show Bio
@Apparition said:
"@SUNMAN said:
"Okay I understand what you are saying. You make a good point. I probably read comics at a different pace than you do so it does not bother me. And aside from Blade comics and a few anime's/tv shows/movies I do not really follow vampire media a great deal so it is still fresh to me. "
yeah and its probably my fault cause i've read a lot of vampire stuff.  comics, manga, novels, then watched vampire movies, anime... so i'm super sensitive to it all :("

I knew u were a vampire......somenting was telin me u were....
#34 Posted by Hyperlight (5518 posts) - - Show Bio

@hell-spawn said:

I finally have an answer!!!

Well judging from the portrayal of vampires in both marvel and other literature, it appears that Blade HAS ALL the vampire powers, however they wont manifest until he grows older. Its pretty well known that the older a vampire the stronger it is and if Blade does have their powers, then his powers should technically work the same way. It has been shown that pure blood vampire (which were born vampires) tend to manifest and learn to control their powers slowly as they age and when the powers do develop they are very powerful (more powerful than any bitten vampire can ever hope to be). So from the fact that Blade was born a Dhampir (instead of being bitten) his powers should be similar.Also it has been shown that Dracula is not the most ancient vampire in the marvel universe. He is the father of modern vampires, however there are much more ancient and powerful vampires than him. So this also supports the theory that with age a vampire develops more powers.

i agree. Blade isnt very old by vamp standards, probably close to a century old so he still has time to dvelop. but i also believe that Blade has never tried to develop such ablities. his training should make abilities like that come easier than most vamps.

#35 Posted by Oscuro (735 posts) - - Show Bio
 Wow i can't believe how old some of these posts are. im glad to have stumbled across this though. I'm actually in the midst of writing Blade stories myself and i wondered why he couldn't do some of the things that "normal" vampires do. The whole developing powers as he ages is an interesting idea, but because he was born with his powers from a bite he may not develop these new powers. I'm not exactly sure how to feel either way because he is a bad bad man in his own right already. in my opinion he wouldn't want to use any of the other vampire abilities cuz it would only make him more like them. these guys saying Blade is boring need to look at most characters in fiction today. who isnt stoic nowadays? and for no real reason but because its "cool" or marketable. 
#36 Posted by Teerack (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

The real reason we don't see all his powers is because he's not in anything ever.

#37 Posted by Hyperlight (5518 posts) - - Show Bio

@Oscuro: i believe he was only born with certain abilities and the rest came from a bite from morbius..... or was that retconned?

#38 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hyperlight said:

@Oscuro: i believe he was only born with certain abilities and the rest came from a bite from morbius..... or was that retconned?

before the movies he didn't have any powers. He was just immune to vampire bites. Than the Blade movie came out and marvel wanted to retcon him, so they had Morbius bite him and change him into the Daywalker.

Blade has only ever had superhuman stats. The only powers we've seen in comics are hypnosis used by Ultimate Blade in the Ultimates against a Hulk.

Anime Blade has some crazy sword mystic sword techniques but thats it.

Blade's not interesting because of his powers. It's his origin and his mision and struggles that make him compelling. Not to mention that bad@$$ swag of his.

I think the reason Blade isn't used is because Marvel doesn't have faith in him, and the people they've assigned to write aren't as invested. Blade's 2006 comic series was written by Marc Guggenheim and he didn't even watch the Blade movie.

Writers have been interested in writing Blade. Mark Millar wanted to writer him years ago, but Joe Quesada said no and put him on Wolverine instead.

Warren Ellis wanted to write Blade in 2006, but Marc Guggenheim got the job instead. Than when the comic stopped selling well around issue 5 or 6 I think they reached out to Ellis but he said no. I'm sure you can find him talking about it online. I think he kind of regrets it but it seems like he was bitter he didn't get the job in the first place.

Warren Ellis did help plot the Blade anime series though, which was very well done

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.