Follow

Blackfire

Character » Blackfire appears in 191 issues.

Blackfire is the older evil sister of Starfire and Darkfire.

Changes

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Outside_85

With SDCC now behind us, it's time to see what emerged from the pile of news, and there was something on Blackfire coming from Lobdell:

Apparently Blackfire is going to have some changes to her character when she appears. As most familiar with her will know that in the past many of Blackfire's actions could be traced back to her childhood where she was discarded as an hair to the throne of Tamaran due to her inability to fly in favor of the younger Starfire, the blow was enough to turn Balckfire so bitter that she sold out her entire world to the Citadel to get even and to have Starfire as her personal slave, one she would abuse mercilessly when she wasn't renting her out for others to do the same.

Now it appears that Lobdell intends to dial Blackfire's bitter and sadistic streak towards Starfire down a notch and instill some regret in her over selling her sister to the Citadel:

"Lobdell turned to the return of Starfire's sister Blackfire, noting as he did earlier in the weekend that he's changing the nature of the villain to a woman with an extreme amount of guilt over her role in selling Starfire off of their planet. "She's not the nihilistic, Machiavellian, evil role but a caring sister who betrayed Kory," he said, joking soon after that he didn't know why he was writing so many depressing stories these days". - Scott Lobdell

But apparently they are still going to fight, so who knows how the immediate RH&O future is going to turn out?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Maybe Lobdell will have her guilt conflict with pride. That may make the whole "they're still fighting" thing less confusing.

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sinestro2828

...Uh...Why? I mean really, we have a more violent Starfire and now a wishy washy Blackfire who REGRETS her actions? Lobdell, please stop messing with my favorite DC sisters and their sibling rivalry dynamic >_<

I mean, the new Blackfire looks more evil and wicked than ever, and he has to ruin it by making her into a remorseful character? I mean, if this ends up leading to a scene where Blackfire tries to extend the olive branch to Starfire and Kory zaps her like she did that Citadelian guard who tried to reach out to her in the past, it'll be the biggest slap in the face to the fans of these characters yet.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By papad1992

@Sinestro2828 said:

...Uh...Why? I mean really, we have a more violent Starfire and now a wishy washy Blackfire who REGRETS her actions? Lobdell, please stop messing with my favorite DC sisters and their sibling rivalry dynamic >_<

I mean, the new Blackfire looks more evil and wicked than ever, and he has to ruin it by making her into a remorseful character? I mean, if this ends up leading to a scene where Blackfire tries to extend the olive branch to Starfire and Kory zaps her like she did that Citadelian guard who tried to reach out to her in the past, it'll be the biggest slap in the face to the fans of these characters yet.

AGREED!

nj06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By nj06

I haven't read anything with the DCnU Blackfire, but I liked that she was very cold and calculating prior to Flashpoint. I want Blackfire to be a major cosmic threat, that can compete and at times outshine her male cosmic counterparts like Sinestro or Mongul. I loved her during the Rann-Thanagar War, especially the way she tricked everyone into thinking she was on their side and then when her opportunity came she killed Hawkwoman.

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sinestro2828

@nj06 said:

I haven't read anything with the DCnU Blackfire, but I liked that she was very cold and calculating prior to Flashpoint. I want Blackfire to be a major cosmic threat, that can compete and at times outshine her male cosmic counterparts like Sinestro or Mongul. I loved her during the Rann-Thanagar War, especially the way she tricked everyone into thinking she was on their side and then when her opportunity came she killed Hawkwoman.

Agreed! Blackfire could make an excellent cosmic threat to the heroes of the DC universe as a whole if they gave her a chance, make her an evil empress or space pirate queen with an army of alien minions at her command and you got yourself loads of story potential possibilities which could ultimately lead to an alien invasion of earth. I'm not a fan of the Outlaws title so far, but if they take this opportunity to make Blackfire a truly epic villain things could get interesting, especially if the Outlaws had to return to earth and convince the Justice League & Teen Titans that an alien invasion fleet was on the way (something that could be hard to do given their reps as anti-heroes) or went underground to undermine her plans for the Vega System or something...Come to think of it, is the Vega System still open to the Green Lanterns or did the reboot make it off limits to them again?

Heck, at the very least, Blackfire could become the main, recurring antagonist of the Outlaws, or a major foe they save for big events considering she's an evil princess as opposed to a street level, earthly baddie, i.e. not someone to take lightly, an "oh shit we're beyond screwed" kind of villain.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Hazlenaut

she really is sorry not going to do the old fashion backstab?

I would like to see her as a tragic character since her past needs to have more effect. She was deemed bad omen when planet was attacked there may be people would still deemed her a bad omen. They should use it to make her sympathetic. her starting description currently is "Starefire evil older sister". It is not not very good description. You guys want her to be destructive but the it starts to lost effect when there can be so much more for her. Sorry but I care little for destructive mayham when there were other villains that can do it better. We need better detail on Tamaraneans and see how this would effect the planet. the Citadel have experimented on her and massacred her planet. so she allied with them since she to fulfill the omen everyone thinks she would have done. It makes sense after having her planet infested with zombie during blackest night it is even possible that she saw her mother. I would like to see that she is truly sorry. she was Star Saphire so she had to have something she did love at that time. I have feeling that she will never be forgiven and would live with thengarins since they can relate.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.