Follow

Blackest Night

Story arc »

The Blackest Night is the third part of Geoff Johns's trilogy in the Green Lantern universe. This storyline will follow the events of Sinestro Corps War and the fallout of the War of Light.

Blackest Night Aftermath: Should the dead come back?

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Chaos Agent
    Avatar image for deactivated-60204c6c569bf
    deactivated-60204c6c569bf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

Death is death...and that's that. :P

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Legacy_

If you died please stay down ^_^

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But seriously, why should these characters come back?  Wouldn't it have greater affect if they stayed dead?  Death shouldn't be a gimmick.  Otherwise, you might as well write everyone as a Mary Sue because they can't die or won't stay dead, anyway.  I want something permanent.  You want to know why 2nd and 3rd tier characters don't evolve past those levels and layers?  Cause there's no room for them to do so.  For the past few years, everyone's been talking about Trinity this and Trinity that.  Well, let's see how DC can handle the so-called Trinity when one-third of it is wormfood.  Let the dead rest...It's why I dropped Marvel's X-titles, no one stays dead over there. ;)

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By ~The Wanderer~

B.
    I don't mind resurrections as long as the writing is okay.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay... 

1) What signifies a good idea to bring a character back? 

2) What signifies a character as being important/popular enough to bring back?

ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwh

Most of the characters that were killed off died because they weren't that interesting to begin with or in a rare case their character was fully used and had nothing else to really offer. So bringing them back? Not necessary. I liked Martian Manhunter alright, mostly from the TV series, but other than that I'm fine with the dead staying dead. If they really super feel the need to bring the characters back, well, I suspect a major comicwide retcon is bound to happen within the next 5 years anyway so just wait for that.

Now, my suspicion is they won't stay dead. They'll turn into some ephemeral passive beings that are 'around' but can't tangibly help or hurt anyone in the universe, or they'll be sent to some other dimension or something and from there the crowd favorites will find a way back. 
    Actually yeah, if I had to put money down, the black (and white, later on I assume) lanterns (including Superman as the first WL, just my assumption here because he's out of the league) are trapped in some other dimensional rift because they're all essentially immortal. And from there, good and bad guys will "find a way back" based on reader feedback ie "bring back Batman or else", etc.

bmbmustdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By bmbmustdie

I fell some of them should come back like anyone who got a crappy death that would be for example tempest, the hawks, pantha, baby wildebeast, ralph, sue, and the trickster. 
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By burr787

Some should come back. Such as; Aqua Man, Hawk, Blue Beetle, and Hawkman(even though he's a given).

mrjoshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By mrjoshua

I don't think they should have killed off any character. It's a comic book. The one advantage it has over any other medium is that the characters don't have to die. It's not like on TV show where an actor might leave the show or ask for more money so you kill them off. I haven't seen a good reason to kill anyone off in a comic nor a good story as a result of their death. Maybe a few good moments but that's about it. The only time a character should die is when their purpose is to die or it has an affect on the main character however an affect that is needed. Most times it seems like they kill off characters cause they don't know what to do with them. But why kill off a main character in comicbooks. Comicbook deaths don't eman aything. They hold no weight. They turn the stories into soap operas. Cause if they want to they will bring the character back in some way shape or form.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.