Follow

Blackest Night

Story arc »

The Blackest Night is the third part of Geoff Johns's trilogy in the Green Lantern universe. This storyline will follow the events of Sinestro Corps War and the fallout of the War of Light.

ANTI MONITOR RETURN IN BLACKEST NIGHT!!!!!!!!

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEGRAAF

Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010

By Alex Segura

First the Black Lantern Corps rose from the Crypt on Oa decimating the planet and many Lanterns in their horrific path.

Then Kyle Rayner’s brush with death and a Black Lantern ring resulted in Guy Gardner being blinded by great rage as he transformed into a Red Lantern killing machine.

All this tragedy and devastation led to the collapse of the Green Lantern Central Power Battery.

How could writer Peter J. Tomasi and artist Patrick Gleason make things any worse for our Emerald Warriors?

How about the return of one of the greatest threats the DC Universe has ever known: THE ANTI-MONITOR?

Thanks, Adam. Now, let’s sit back and stare at that amazing Greg Horn cover, shall we?     

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Nice

MichaeltheFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#3  Edited By MichaeltheFly

Wou, nice very nice, but I would prefer him as he was before (in Crisis on Infinite Earth) that way he would crush that Nekron guy.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By dane

damn

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Michael the Fly said:
    "Wou, nice very nice, but I would prefer him as he was before (in Crisis on Infinite Earth) that way he would crush that Nekron guy. "

im curious if he will come back and be to powerful to control. But what does that mean for Superboy prime since he is in the mix. He just wants to be a hero. He tried destroying the multiverse, will he be the onw to come back and save it? I would say the original monitor would be the one ot take him down but antimonitor was stronger than the monitor. maybe all the monitors will bond together to recreate a new monitor
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AtPhantom

Noooo, not Tomasi. Why couldn't Johns handle this?

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AtPhantom
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " @Michael the Fly said:
    "Wou, nice very nice, but I would prefer him as he was before (in Crisis on Infinite Earth) that way he would crush that Nekron guy. "
    im curious if he will come back and be to powerful to control. But what does that mean for Superboy prime since he is in the mix. He just wants to be a hero. He tried destroying the multiverse, will he be the onw to come back and save it? I would say the original monitor would be the one ot take him down but antimonitor was stronger than the monitor. maybe all the monitors will bond together to recreate a new monitor "
    Why would Superboy Prime have anything to do with it? He's in a completely different universe.

Also, the Monitors are dead.
    MichaeltheFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#8  Edited By MichaeltheFly
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " @Michael the Fly said:
    im curious if he will come back and be to powerful to control. But what does that mean for Superboy prime since he is in the mix. He just wants to be a hero. He tried destroying the multiverse, will he be the onw to come back and save it? I would say the original monitor would be the one ot take him down but antimonitor was stronger than the monitor. maybe all the monitors will bond together to recreate a new monitor "
    I wish, ever since I saw who was the main villain in BN, I've been waiting for the the Anti-onitor to return and kick his a$$.
    But like you said Prime, was hard to control so a full power Anti-monitor could break free of Nekron's control. 
    It will be interesting, but I don't think they will bring him back just to finish Nekron, that would be the end of BN, not to mention the zombies in it.
    But who knows.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @AtPhantom said:
    " @DEGRAAF said:
    " @Michael the Fly said:
    Why would Superboy Prime have anything to do with it? He's in a completely different universe.  Also, the Monitors are dead. "

The monitors arent dead. Actually i believe Donna Troy, Jason Todd, and the Atom are all monitors of the monitors is where we saw them last. Superboy Prime is in our current universe if i remember right. He was brought back by the black lanterns.
    reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By reactor

Man, as if having Nekron and the Spectre on their side wasn't enough...

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AtPhantom
    @DEGRAAF said:
    "The monitors arent dead. Actually i believe Donna Troy, Jason Todd, and the Atom are all monitors of the monitors is where we saw them last. Superboy Prime is in our current universe if i remember right. He was brought back by the black lanterns. "
    That was in countdown, and like everything else in countdown it was completely forgotten and DC is acting like it never happened. Final Crisis, however, isn't forgotten, and at the end of Final Crisis all the Monitors gave their lives to let the universe live. Nix Uotan is the only Monitor remaining.

Superboy Prime is in his own universe. BL Alexander Luthor followed him there because he can traverse universes.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Reactor said:
    " Man, as if having Nekron and the Spectre on their side wasn't enough... "
    Something tells me the Anti-Monitor won't be on anyone's side. He's probably pissed off that they made him into the power battery.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @AtPhantom said:
    " @DEGRAAF said:
    "The monitors arent dead. Actually i believe Donna Troy, Jason Todd, and the Atom are all monitors of the monitors is where we saw them last. Superboy Prime is in our current universe if i remember right. He was brought back by the black lanterns. "
    That was in countdown, and like everything else in countdown it was completely forgotten and DC is acting like it never happened. Final Crisis, however, isn't forgotten, and at the end of Final Crisis all the Monitors gave their lives to let the universe live. Nix Uotan is the only Monitor remaining.  Superboy Prime is in his own universe. BL Alexander Luthor followed him there because he can traverse universes. "

above is main cont. Supes showing all the colors of emotion at once, When Superboy prime put on the black lantern ring he became a lantern of every corps as well. You were right he is in his own universe but his abilities allowed him to travel between universes so he should be able to come back, he wants to be a hero and knows what is goin on in the main universe, he could very well come back to save the day. 

Also according to the websites below there are more than just Nix left, sounds like there are many monitors left, Hermus being the leader of them. 
    http://www.comicvine.com/the-monitors/65-48220/ 
    http://www.comicvine.com/nix-uotan/29-49070/ 
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AtPhantom

I'm sorry, I really don't see what the scan has to do with SBP.

As for the Monitors, the articles are faulty. We clearly see in FC 7 the Monitor world disintegrating, and Nix Uotan telling them to make peace with themselves and all.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By King_Saturn
    oh sh!t... the Boy is Back  !
    The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By The Sadhu

COOL!!!
    reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By reactor
    @JediXMan said:
    " @Reactor said:
    Something tells me the Anti-Monitor won't be on anyone's side. He's probably pissed off that they made him into the power battery. "
    Nah, I don't think so. Everyone that's been converted into Black Lanterns have so far become extensions of Nekron's will. (I'm thinkin' there's a "King of the Undead" deal going on)
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Reactor said:
    " @JediXMan said:
    " @Reactor said:
    Something tells me the Anti-Monitor won't be on anyone's side. He's probably pissed off that they made him into the power battery. "
    Nah, I don't think so. Everyone that's been converted into Black Lanterns have so far become extensions of Nekron's will. (I'm thinkin' there's a "King of the Undead" deal going on) "
    But is the Anti-Monitor dead? He hasn't died. And, as far as I can tell, he can't be killed)
    reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By reactor
    @JediXMan said:
    " @Reactor said:
    " @JediXMan said:
    " @Reactor said:
    Nah, I don't think so. Everyone that's been converted into Black Lanterns have so far become extensions of Nekron's will. (I'm thinkin' there's a "King of the Undead" deal going on) "
    But is the Anti-Monitor dead? He hasn't died. And, as far as I can tell, he can't be killed) "
    His outfit (not to mention the scene where Nekron apparently mutated him into the Black Lantern central battery) seems to strongly suggest the Anti-Monitor has died. Or at the very least, he is under Nekron's control. It doesn't make a real difference either way. The only factors of note is that the Black Lanterns now have three cosmic entities on their side.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

All who die become Nekron's bitch

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tensor

lets hope they don't drop the ball i love this story arc  who is going to stop him now that is the ??

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#22  Edited By lostlantern13

It would've been nice if they kept this under wraps, but *whistles* damn, I wonder how the Light Brigade will turn this around.  White light couldn't stop Nekron...now he's got the Spectre and Anti-Monitor as his back-up? AND Black Hand is still running around. This is gonna be one epic ending.

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#23  Edited By lostlantern13
    @DEGRAAF:
    Supes is only showing 5 plus he's got black on now.

Superboy-Prime may be the only one who's shown all at once, but he's on Earth-Prime, and his fate wasn't clearly defined. I don't think he'll play a role into anything.

It's a Green Lantern event, so if anyone's saving the day...it's probably the Lanterns.  
    Hal only needs interaction with 2 more lights to have them interacted with them all.
    The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The Sadhu

Could someone please answer a question I have... 

Since the Anti-Monitor was morphed/mutated into the Black Lantern Power Battery... if he has risen as a Black Lantern... then where does Black Lantern Power Battery draw its power from? 

Wasn't AM the source of power for the BLPB? or Has it become self sufficient with out him?

Just curious...
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @The Sadhu said:
    "Could someone please answer a question I have...  Since the Anti-Monitor was morphed/mutated into the Black Lantern Power Battery... if he has risen as a Black Lantern... then where does Black Lantern Power Battery draw its power from?  Wasn't AM the source of power for the BLPB? or Has it become self sufficient with out him? Just curious... "

I think he would become the entity of the black lanterns, like ION or Parallax 
    @lostlantern13 said:
    "

It would've been nice if they kept this under wraps, but *whistles* damn, I wonder how the Light Brigade will turn this around.  White light couldn't stop Nekron...now he's got the Spectre and Anti-Monitor as his back-up? AND Black Hand is still running around. This is gonna be one epic ending.

"

A SMALL amount of white light couldnt hurt him
    reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By reactor
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " @The Sadhu said:
    "Could someone please answer a question I have...  Since the Anti-Monitor was morphed/mutated into the Black Lantern Power Battery... if he has risen as a Black Lantern... then where does Black Lantern Power Battery draw its power from?  Wasn't AM the source of power for the BLPB? or Has it become self sufficient with out him? Just curious... "

@lostlantern13 said:
    No, if I understand correctly, Scar stated that Black Hand had become, and I paraphrase, what Ion was to the Green Lanterns, what Parallax was to the Sinestro Corps, and what Predator was to the Star Sapphires. In essence, Black Hand is the Black Lantern's manifested entity already.
    dustydawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dustydawg

AWESOME!

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @AtPhantom said:
    "I'm sorry, I really don't see what the scan has to do with SBP.  As for the Monitors, the articles are faulty. We clearly see in FC 7 the Monitor world disintegrating, and Nix Uotan telling them to make peace with themselves and all. "

Im just comparing supes to SBP and how they have both shown the potential of all or most of the colors. Supes has shown as many as Hal Jordan has i think. The only way Supes would show orange is if someone important gets taken from him and he wants them back, then the only other one not shown is compassion and i think they show him in another panel showing compassion so he might have shown more in the emotional spectrum than Hal has.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Reactor said:
    " @DEGRAAF said:
    " @The Sadhu said:

@lostlantern13 said:
    No, if I understand correctly, Scar stated that Black Hand had become, and I paraphrase, what Ion was to the Green Lanterns, what Parallax was to the Sinestro Corps, and what Predator was to the Star Sapphires. In essence, Black Hand is the Black Lantern's manifested entity already. "

interesting... 

I have no idead then. I thought Dove was only shown in Blackest night Titens but i just went back and she was shown in Blackest night #5 so the leads me to believe that she might have more of a hance of becoming a white lantern. It seems like every time she shines her white light she almost dies, maybe she will sacrifice her self to save others while not showing any emotion. When a human sacrifices his or her self for the lives of others the person sacrificed is clensed of their sin and becomes holy. Of course that is the biblical type reasoning of it but comics play alot off of religion, so maybe she will sacrifice her self willingly as Nekron believes he is consuming the white light she explodes with power destroying Nekron and the only think left in the picture is Dove in a white lantern uniform Shining like the sun
    Avatar image for emerald_general_jai
    Emerald_General_Jai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

This is gunna be sooo kick-ass. But i really have noo desire for SBP to become any more involved than he is. Unless it's to get spanked by Conner. 

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    It's always good to see the Anti-Monitor, but I strongly hope his appearance will not be a mere filler. The character's stature is far above such a thing.
    reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By reactor
    @Morpheus_ said:
    " It's always good to see the Anti-Monitor, but I strongly hope his appearance will not be a mere filler. The character's stature is far above such a thing. "
    Got the feeling you felt that way with Batman's reappearance.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Reactor said:
    " @Morpheus_ said:
    " It's always good to see the Anti-Monitor, but I strongly hope his appearance will not be a mere filler. The character's stature is far above such a thing. "
    Got the feeling you felt that way with Batman's reappearance. "
    You mean in Blackest Night, when he helped convert the majority of the heroes into Black Lanterns, or currently?
    reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By reactor
    @Morpheus_ said:
    " @Reactor said:
    " @Morpheus_ said:
    You mean in Blackest Night, when he helped convert the majority of the heroes into Black Lanterns, or currently? "
    I meant in Blackest Night.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Reactor said:
    " @Morpheus_ said:
    " @Reactor said:
    " @Morpheus_ said:
    You mean in Blackest Night, when he helped convert the majority of the heroes into Black Lanterns, or currently? "
    I meant in Blackest Night. "

I didn't really mind that. Anti-Monitor is a terror, the magnitude of which profoundly changed the DC Universe as a whole, which is why he has appeared in just two major story arcs (if we exclude Infinite Crisis, which was crucial for his return) over the course of 20 years. Batman, great as he is, hardly had such a selective list of appearances.
    Avatar image for thejuggernautpunch
    TheJuggernautpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope he will return more powerful than ever . And conquer the Multiverse .

CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CosmicSpiral

I do hope that Blackest Night signals the return of the Anti-Monitor as a multiversal threat, but not immediately. Frankly all these events from Marvel and DC are tiring me out. Let this be the setup for his return 5-6 years in the future. 

AndyKeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AndyKeel

anti-monitor is awesome in his black lantern suit

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @CosmicSpiral:
    lol i got in to comics during WWH as the first thing i read as well as Kingdom Come. I dont think there has been a down time since i started reading comics

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.