Follow

Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps

Volume »

Witness Saint Walker's pilgrimage of hope, Carol Ferris' sacrifice for love, the first appearance of the Indigo Tribe and much more!

Spectrum Reviews "Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps #2"

Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

Edited By Spectrum

"Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps #2" Reviewed 

The comic features three short stories all centered on different members of the different Corps of light. This issue features the story of Bleez, a once beautiful princess who becomes a member of the Red Lanterns; Carol Ferris' encounter with a rather persistent Star Sapphire Ring; and finally it details how Blume the Godhead, came to be collected by Larfleeze, Agent Orange, and how that led to his induction into the Orange Lantern Corps. The stories are amusing and they do help to explain the origins of these particular Lanterns, however, they do nothing further. The issue fails to elaborate how these Lanterns make any impact on the current goings on of the DC Universe, each tale being self contained and wholly completed in itself. Reading over the issue it I felt as if I was looking back over The Rage of the Red Lanterns and Agent Orange story arcs, being given extra information about the characters which were involved. There is no sense of immediacy here as each story has no real significance to the greater story of the Blackest Night (with the small exception of the Star Sapphire segment). This really disappointed me. I felt that here was an opportunity to see how the different Corps interact with one another yet we are given  a series of origin stories. While I like the fact that these characters are being fleshed out; its the format that bothers me. I would have liked to see a story set in the current time line, over the spa of three issues which could

show all these lanterns interacting in the war of light. Unfortunately all we get is a small and superficial glimpse into the origins of each lantern.

Mini series such as this can be found coming out of many major story arcs. All you have to do is look at Final Crisis or Batman RIP and and you can see the multitude of tie ins, spin offs and one shots. Blackest Night begins such a large event I never expected for it to be any different. However, with Geoff Johns at the helm, I expected things to be different from the other spin offs we had seen in the past. One-shots done by Johns before, like those from the  Sinestro Corps War were absolutely brilliant. The Superboy Prime one shot is my all time favorite comic, so I was really expecting a lot from this miniseries and this issue. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it just doesn't deliver. The short length and multitude of different stories crammed into the issue hampers any attempt made at trying to develop the characters; so that all we get is a superficial history with little to no depth. Still an enjoyable read, I expected much, much more and would not, unless you are a hardcore fan of the war of light with cash to burn, recommend you buy this issue. 

1.5 stars out of 5.
    Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Nahero

well im sure the stories i seen in tales of the corps have a connection to the blackest night story i just didn't figure it out

Skies327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Skies327

In one of the recent interviews with Geoff Johns he mentioned that Tales of the Corps was just to give people a look into the characters you see in the background. It has no bearing on Blackest Night overall, which in some ways kind of sucks but in others is nice. You don't have to but Tales of the Corps to keep up with Blackest Night, it's just that little extra flare of story that some people may want to read, and others won't.

I haven't picked this one up yet but I personally liked the first issue. The story of Saint Walker was kind of compelling.

Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spectrum

@Skies327
    I really disliked Saint Walkers story, it was too much story over too little space! The only story i actually liked was the Indigo Tribe one from the first issue and thats probably just because it was first Iv seen of the Indigo Tribe!

I see why some would like it, but i just didnt!

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By burr787

I loved Saint Walker's story actually. I agree that it was too short. They should have written what happened after he found God and more on the ring than it just flew from space and chose him.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Uh, who's the Girl with Wings?

Skies327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Skies327
    @War Killer

I think the lady with wings is the Red Lantern Bleez, who has a story in this issue.

Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spectrum

Bleez, shes a red lantern

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Thanks

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NightFang3

I hope the next one's better.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Media_Master

Art looks sharp, too bad the story isn't

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#11  Edited By harleyquinn12

I think this was an average issue. The Star Sapphire tale was enjoyable,but I dind't really understand the Orange Lantern story. Bleez's tale was intresting,just not compelling enough.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.