Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    The Black Widow finally gets to take the fight to Imus Champion, the man who's been ruining her life this whole time, and the experience certainly isn't eye-opening for him.

The Good    

I've always had a special spot for Imus Champion ever since his appearance during the Squadron Supreme arc of the Busiek/Perez run on the Avengers. So I was glad to see him in full form as a formidable foe here, maintaining some dignity even as he was getting his butt royally handed to him by Natasha. The issues I had about Acuna's rendering of action and heroic poses have been soundly redressed. I can't remember the last time I "felt" a fight scene as viscerally as the one he puts Imus and Natasha through here. Liu also gives her a wonderful slew of snappy lines that are both acerbicly-witty and emotionally cathartic. The part where she gouges Imus' eyes out, only to realize that killing would actually give him what he wants? That part was strong stuff.

The Bad   

Natasha waxes philosophic just a wee too much at the end, but I suppose I really shouldn't expect anything less of a fan of Leo Tolstoy, right? 

The Verdict - 4.5/5  

I haven't gotten to read the intervening issues, unfortunately, but this has addressed all the problems I had with the more deliberate pacing of first two installments. Liu and Acuna work amazingly well together, crafting a sleek spy-superhero comic that's got real drama and emotion to go with its awesomely-brutal thrills.   The trade collection for this ought to be out soon, and you'd do well to pick it up.
    BuddyBulson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BuddyBulson

love the cover art

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I love this series, Liu honestly knows how to write an epic female character like Black Widow, my only problem and fear is that the current creative team is leaving after this issue, Liu will be moving on to write X-23's new series which I know will be amazing, but I fear that this series won't be the same now since I really love how Natalie is written in this series, and how Liu portrays the character.

thehood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thehood

Just so you know, this is issue 5, not 6.

Good review though!

Eggimann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Eggimann

I liked this issue. Hope the series will continue being good, too bad the creative team will leave. The arc has been pretty good.

Senor Salsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Senor Salsa

This book is awesome.  Great writing.  Gets me excited for Marjorie's run on X-23

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By DH69

im sorry but when was she pregnant? even since this series started thats been bugging me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.