Why didn't black widow speak in a Russian accent in the movie?

#1 Posted by GiantsizeManThing (315 posts) - - Show Bio

The character is Russian. Why didn't she speak in the accent, you think Jon   Favreau would have known that. 

#2 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio

A: Because she's not Russian in the movie 
B: Comic Black Widow doesn't have any accent due to her spec-ops training. 

#3 Posted by GiantsizeManThing (315 posts) - - Show Bio
@katanalauncher: Despite the fact she speaks Russian in heroes for hire?
#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12703 posts) - - Show Bio

probably because Scarlett Johanssen couldn't pull one off, or they didn't want to confuse people since the main villain was also Russian in the 2nd Iron Man film

#5 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

Because a secret agent of her caliber should at least be able to speak English decently?

#6 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably for marketing reasons, they wanted the hot, super hero, chick, spy to be American

#7 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they didn't care about the character and just wanted some T&A, hence casting ScarJo.

#8 Posted by Risky (12629 posts) - - Show Bio

Widow in the comics did not have an accent either, that was one of the main differences between Romanova (Black Widow I) and Belova (Black Widow II). Belova was a second rate copy who could not even speak English correctly while Romanova was a real spec ops person who spoke several languages without any accent.

#9 Posted by The_Assassin_ (17437 posts) - - Show Bio

Spies, Commandos, etc have been trained to speak other languages without an accent for centuries, in world war two, SS commandos dressed as American soldiers, speaking perfect english without an accent.

#10 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hoping that they gave her more time to pull off a convincing russian accent for the avengers movie but thats me being hopeful. especially since mickey rourke was able to pull off an amazing russian accent in such a short amount of time

#11 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mikepool said:
Spies, Commandos, etc have been trained to speak other languages without an accent for centuries, in world war two, SS commandos dressed as American soldiers, speaking perfect english without an accent.
This
#12 Posted by The_Assassin_ (17437 posts) - - Show Bio

Although a part of me wishes she had a Russian accent... because a hot girl with a Russian/Eastern European accent is even hotter imo

#13 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mikepool said:
Makes sense lol
#14 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The KGB has classes for that, etc. 
I think the more likely reason is that it would have sounded silly.

#15 Posted by SC (12983 posts) - - Show Bio

Ves ves, I haz been raised in the America my ventire life, ves. Oh dis accent? No, no... vits from... ze Zouth... New Versy accent... I am not Vussian Spy, zo don't tell no one, vor else I break you neck vith my long black veather vlad vegs. 

Moderator Online
#16 Posted by daredevil21134 (11525 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the actor can't do it

#17 Posted by Vitality (1762 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is Perry White a black man in the new superman movie? 

The character is white...you would think the director would know that.
#18 Posted by War Killer (20147 posts) - - Show Bio

Well in IM2 when Tony is going through her background I believe he did mention that she knew Russian, along with Latin. And personally I wsas a bit annoyed that she didn't have the accent but I do agree with the fact that she is a spy and she was technically undercover at Stark Industries at the time so it would make sense for her to speak English instead of Russian to help make her cover more believable. And the fact that she didn't have it during the fight scene with Happy, being that her covers pretty much blown at that point, would be to not confuse the audience by having her speak English through most of the movie only to randomly start speaking with a Russian accent.

Hopefully though she'll have the accent in the Avengers.

#19 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio
@GiantsizeManThing
Read again 
@katanalauncher said:

A: Because she's not Russian in the movie B: Comic Black Widow doesn't have any accent due to her spec-ops training. 

#20 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:
@GiantsizeManThing
Read again 
@katanalauncher said:

A: Because she's not Russian in the movie B: Comic Black Widow doesn't have any accent due to her spec-ops training. 

I can read very well, doesn't mean everything I've read is valid.

Her nationality was never mention in the movie. 

#21 Posted by Antigonist (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, we don't know what nationality Black Widow was supposed to have in the movie.  That she knows Russian is a minor plot point, but her background is a mystery. 

But she doesn't have an accent in the comics.  I refer you to Amazing Adventures #5, or more recently, Diggle's run of Thunderbolts.  No matter the universe, she is a highly trained agent capable of speaking multiple languages as a native.   Her English has always been better than Hawkeye's.

Accents are probably things actors shouldn't do unless they happen to be very good at them, anyway.

#22 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

Only us die-hard fans would notice. John Q. Public is clueless when the movie director deviates from the comics.

#23 Posted by Alurvelve (3643 posts) - - Show Bio

Because she is a Spy.

#24 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yumulu said:

Because a secret agent of her caliber should at least be able to speak English decently?

Yes. This sound like a good reason to me.

#25 Posted by War Killer (20147 posts) - - Show Bio

It was understandable for her to not have the accent in IM2 as she was under cover at Stark Industries. But spy or not, it doesn't make sense for her to not have the accent in the Avengers movie. Just because she's a spy doesn't mean she's going to use a fake accent all the time, she would eventually go back to speaking in her normal Russian tongue.

Not to mention, without her accent how are none comic book readers supposed to know she's Russian? Sure Marvel could use the excuse that they don't want to confuse people by having her speak with an accent in one movie and then with a completely different one in another, but what happens when they decide to make a Black Widow movie? (Fingers crossed) They'll eventually have to explain to people that she's a former Russian Super-Spy sooner or later, plus it would make the Avengers more diverse instead of having a completely American super-team (minus Thor :P).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.