Follow

Black Widow

Character » Black Widow appears in 3721 issues.

A former KGB agent, Natasha Alianovna Romanova, better known as Natasha Romanoff or Black Widow, was trained by the top-secret Soviet brainwashing and training program, the Red Room, to become the ultimate "Super-Spy". She defected from the Soviet Union to the US to join S.H.I.E.L.D. Subsequently, Black Widow proceeded to become a member of the Avengers and has been on the team on numerous occasions. She's a woman with an enigmatic past which very few are acquainted with.

Should Black Widow Get Her Own Movie?

• 129 results
    tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By tg1982

If they do a Balck Widow movie of course they would have her speaking in russian the only reason she doesn't in the movies so far is, as others have stated, because she was undercover as an american to fool Tony, complete with a fake name "Rushman". In A BW movie she would at the very least have flashbacks of her training in russia speaking russian (or english with an accent learning to mask it.) In which case Scarlett could get a voice coach to help her.

I mean if Jolie can do it in Salt then anyone can.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#102  Edited By TheCannon

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By TAneT62

yea i think so ....

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#104  Edited By Mercy_

@fodigg: We don't speak of the Elektra and Daredevil movies as being comic book/Marvel movies. It hurts too much (but I agree with your point)

@tg1982 said:

I mean if Jolie can do it in Salt then anyone can.

lol

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By tg1982

@Mercy_: glad you liked it :)

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#106  Edited By x_29

I'd watch it. I casually like Widow.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#107  Edited By PowerHerc

It sounds good but considering how "Elektra" and "Catwoman" did; maybe not.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By ThexX

I would say yes. Then in Captain America 2 they hopefully introduce Winter Soldier (Bucky). And then they could do a Winter Soldier and Black Widow Movie

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By TheCannon

Black Widow does not deserve to get a movie. A SHIELD movie with her one of the main characters, maybe. But her own solo movie, no.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Mercy_

@TheCannon: Why do you say that?

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By TheCannon

@Mercy_ said:

Because she is and always has been nothing more than a supporting character. What are you suppose to put in a solo movie with her? The eating, talking, reading. It would basically be Elektra all over again.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Mercy_

@TheCannon said:

@Mercy_ said:

Because she is and always has been nothing more than a supporting character. What are you suppose to put in a solo movie with her? The eating, talking, reading. It would basically be Elektra all over again.

Are you talking from a movie standpoint or a comic book standpoint? Movie, I can see your point, I just don't fully agree w/ it. From a comic perspective, I disagree wholeheartedly.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By TheCannon

@Mercy_ said:

@TheCannon said:

@Mercy_ said:

Are you talking from a movie standpoint or a comic book standpoint? Movie, I can see your point, I just don't fully agree w/ it. From a comic perspective, I disagree wholeheartedly.

From both. Why do you disagree with me from a comic perspective?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Mercy_

@TheCannon said:

@Mercy_ said:

@TheCannon said:

@Mercy_ said:

To people who actually know and love the character and are aware of what she's done, her accolades stand for herself. She's had several ongoings, numerous minis, she lead the Avengers for a good time and has shown herself more than capable in times of need. She's the only person with Level 10 clearance on Earth other than Nick Fury himself.

Widow is completely capable of standing on her own. The biggest part of the problem is that Marvel simply sucks at pushing their females. If they were as adept as say, DC, she'd have a much more prominent position in the MU by this point.

As it is, she's completely capable of standing with the big boys and doing so without powers.

IMO, a solo movie with Widow would be awesome, but that's coming from a comic book reader and a lover of the character. To all the general audience who haven't read a damn comic in their life, there's a big misconception that she was put in as the eye candy, which is kind of totally BS. Natasha's been an Avenger pretty much since her inception and has one of the longest tenures on the team (not to mention leading it, as well). She does everything the big boys do and she does it without powers. A Black Widow movie would not be as successful (IMO) as any of the other movies.

However, if they did it right (spy thriller or something of the sort) and they made it a Black Widow/Hawkeye movie and further explained their past history and such, then I think it would be a great success. Maybe not as big a seller as Iron Man or Thor, which were two incredibly high-grossing movies, but a good (even great) movie nonetheless.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By TheCannon

@Mercy_ said:

@TheCannon said:

@Mercy_ said:

@TheCannon said:

@Mercy_ said:

To people who actually know and love the character and are aware of what she's done, her accolades stand for herself. She's had several ongoings, numerous minis, she lead the Avengers for a good time and has shown herself more than capable in times of need. She's the only person with Level 10 clearance on Earth other than Nick Fury himself.

Widow is completely capable of standing on her own. The biggest part of the problem is that Marvel simply sucks at pushing their females. If they were as adept as say, DC, she'd have a much more prominent position in the MU by this point.

As it is, she's completely capable of standing with the big boys and doing so without powers.

IMO, a solo movie with Widow would be awesome, but that's coming from a comic book reader and a lover of the character. To all the general audience who haven't read a damn comic in their life, there's a big misconception that she was put in as the eye candy, which is kind of totally BS. Natasha's been an Avenger pretty much since her inception and has one of the longest tenures on the team (not to mention leading it, as well). She does everything the big boys do and she does it without powers. A Black Widow movie would not be as successful (IMO) as any of the other movies.

However, if they did it right (spy thriller or something of the sort) and they made it a Black Widow/Hawkeye movie and further explained their past history and such, then I think it would be a great success. Maybe not as big a seller as Iron Man or Thor, which were two incredibly high-grossing movies, but a good (even great) movie nonetheless.

Okay. Now, I like Black Widow. she's not my favorite, but I like her. My problem with a Black Widow movie would be:

1) Not big enough of a name

2) No good villains (it would be Elektra all over again)

3) Where are you suppose to go with a plot? At least someone like Ant-man you can doing something with.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#116  Edited By ReVamp

As long as Barnes is in there.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Mercy_

@ReVamp: I like you.

@TheCannon said:

Okay. Now, I like Black Widow. she's not my favorite, but I like her. My problem with a Black Widow movie would be:

I half agree with this. I'm saying right now that I adore the character so I have a blatant bias, but she's well-known in the comic community and she had prominent roles in Iron Man 2 and now Avengers as well. They're going to capitalize off of that as much as possible and if they believe that it would be profitable, it's going to happen.

Hell, they made the Elektra movie (I honestly can't be bothered to check if it was the same studio, so this may be entirely irrelevant). Putting aside the quality of the film (which I don't count as a comic book movie because it was so damn terrible), it still managed to not only break even, but bring in about 13 million dollars. Not the best profilt margin, but still one, nonetheless.

The Red Room could be adapted for a movie, and I don't think it would be that hard, especially if they went the spy thriller route. I will concede that Widow lacks notable enemies of her own.

3) Where are you suppose to go with a plot? At least someone like Ant-man you can doing something with.

I can think of a few off the top of my head. Red Room sending agents for her, espionage coming back to bite her in the ass. General spy movie stuff with a comic book twist.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By TheCannon

@Mercy_ said:

@ReVamp: I like you.

@TheCannon said:

I half agree with this. I'm saying right now that I adore the character so I have a blatant bias, but she's well-known in the comic community and she had prominent roles in Iron Man 2 and now Avengers as well. They're going to capitalize off of that as much as possible and if they believe that it would be profitable, it's going to happen.

Hell, they made the Elektra movie (I honestly can't be bothered to check if it was the same studio, so this may be entirely irrelevant). Putting aside the quality of the film (which I don't count as a comic book movie because it was so damn terrible), it still managed to not only break even, but bring in about 13 million dollars. Not the best profilt margin, but still one, nonetheless.

The Red Room could be adapted for a movie, and I don't think it would be that hard, especially if they went the spy thriller route. I will concede that Widow lacks notable enemies of her own.

I can think of a few off the top of my head. Red Room sending agents for her, espionage coming back to bite her in the ass. General spy movie stuff with a comic book twist.

I never even heard of Red Room.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By ReVamp

@Mercy_: Of course you do. The only requirement for that is having good taste.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By ReVamp

She doesn't need Villains of her own though. Think about it, how many villains in the Marvel universe will never see the light of Movie? You can use them. Just because in the comics they're not known as Widow enemies, it doesn't mean anything.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Mercy_
    @TheCannon You've never heard of the Red Room? How familiar with Widow are you, considering its her origin?

It doesn't really matter if you've heard of them before or not. How many people had heard of Whiplash before the Iron Man movie? Or Obadiah Stane? You don't have to have heard of something in order for it to be interesting or make sense within the plot of a movie.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Mercy_
    @ReVamp Good point.
    TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By TheCannon

@Mercy_ said:

@TheCannon You've never heard of the Red Room? How familiar with Widow are you, considering its her origin? It doesn't really matter if you've heard of them before or not. How many people had heard of Whiplash before the Iron Man movie? Or Obadiah Stane? You don't have to have heard of something in order for it to be interesting or make sense within the plot of a movie.

Technically it was a combination of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo.

@ReVamp said:

She doesn't need Villains of her own though. Think about it, how many villains in the Marvel universe will never see the light of Movie? You can use them. Just because in the comics they're not known as Widow enemies, it doesn't mean anything.

How the heck do you have a superhero movie without a villain?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By ReVamp

@Mercy_ said:

@TheCannon You've never heard of the Red Room? How familiar with Widow are you, considering its her origin?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to be fair, the Red Room is from the retconned origin from '10, not the original.

@TheCannon said:

Not without a super-villain, just without a Black Widow specific Super-Villain.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Mercy_

@TheCannon said:

@Mercy_ said:

@TheCannon You've never heard of the Red Room? How familiar with Widow are you, considering its her origin? It doesn't really matter if you've heard of them before or not. How many people had heard of Whiplash before the Iron Man movie? Or Obadiah Stane? You don't have to have heard of something in order for it to be interesting or make sense within the plot of a movie.

Technically it was a combination of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo.

Fair point. However, my previous point still stands.

He's saying that you could take a comic book villain that belongs to somebody else (who will potentially never even be used in a movie - there are plenty of them) and adapt it for a Black Widow movie. It doesn't have to be somebody from her rogue's gallery (which is relatively non-existent) in the comics. It could be from somebody else's.

@ReVamp said:

@Mercy_ said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to be fair, the Red Room is from the retconned origin from '10, not the original.

There's a good chance you're right. I read her appearances completely out of order, so everything starts to skew together.

Avatar image for teamextrodinary15
    teamextrodinary15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked her in the Avengers

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By tg1982

@Vance Astro said:

She can't even hold her own comic..why would they bother giving her a movie? If they were to make it Scarlet better be nude because that's the only way she can make up for way off portrayal of Natasha.

Neither can Blade, but he has 3 movies, a live action series, and an anime, so why couldn't Black Widow get a movie, if it flops, then it flops, at least they tried.

@Mercy_ said:

He's saying that you could take a comic book villain that belongs to somebody else (who will potentially never even be used in a movie - there are plenty of them) and adapt it for a Black Widow movie. It doesn't have to be somebody from her rogue's gallery (which is relatively non-existent) in the comics. It could be from somebody else's.

What villian do you think could work, I think they could do a Black Widow vs Black Widow (Yelena Belova) or maybe even Baron Strucker or Madame Hydra, or they could make up a character like they did in Bade 2

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Mercy_
    @tg1982 I kind of think that Viper would be awesome, but admittedly haven't put too much thought into it.
    tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By tg1982

@Mercy_: Viper would be good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.