Scar-Jo Talks 'Black Widow'

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

The actress discusses her role in the upcoming Iron Man 2 film!

When she isn't defining the art of espionage through her role as ' Black Widow' in the upcoming Iron Man film; Scarlett Johansson is out feeding hungry children in India. Talk about pulling double duty! In a recent interview with Children's Health, the actress discussed her recent charity work with Oxfam and her travels in Sri Lanka as well as India where she claimed she was overwhelmed by the poverty she had seen there, in addition to the recent work she completed in Iron Man 2.

"It's so difficult to see people who are struggling, but that's part of life. You can't just shut yourself off to things that are unpleasant or hard to talk about. You just have to jump into it with open arms and embrace the humanity of the condition that you're witnessing. It's also incredible to revisit places I've seen in times of devastation and see the money really working, the Lazarus effect. That's when you feel like, OK, I'm doing the right things, I'm involved with the right charities."

I guess you could say that the actress is also a real life super-hero! In addition to all of her charity work, Johasson also discussed her experience working in the Iron Man film, citing that is was starkly different from any other film she has ever worked on.

"It was a whole new world for me, but I built a lot of strength, that's for sure. Working on the wires and being suspended in the air, you throw one wrong kick or punch and, yeah, you're out of whack," she said. "But once you're working with the stunt crew and they're going through the craziest stuff, you feel bad about complaining that your knee has been blue for three months. The guys doing the stunts in those Iron Man suits, they can't move in it and can't take it off. I'd say, 'Have you peed today?' and they're like, 'No, we can't move, we can't take it off, we can't drink any water.'"

Johansson also hinted that she will be part of Favreau's next project, The Avengers movie.

she's busy enough with film projects already, having signed to play Black Widow again in Favreau's next Marvel film, The Avengers. "It's something that's as much work as writing and producing a film, so for me, it would be all-encompassing."

Hearing that the actress did so many of her own stunts in the upcoming film is somewhat refreshing to hear, and I think I am really looking forward to seeing her portray Natasha Romanova on the big screen. What do you guys think? Are you looking forward to the upcoming Iron Man film? Are you happy with having Scarlett as Black Widow? I wonder if she'll have a Russian accent...
#1 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
Can't wait for this movie
#2 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

I am excited for this.....sooooooo excited. Why can't May be now?

#3 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Scarlet fits as Black Widow but whatever.I'll reserve my judgement for when the movie comes out.

#4 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"I don't think Scarlet fits as Black Widow but whatever.I'll reserve my judgement for when the movie comes out. "

I agree 100%.  But i'll keep my fingers crossed.
#5 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats the only thing that scares me, will she be able to pull off the Russian accent? A bad accent can ruin a role pretty quickly.  I wasn't to happy when she was cast but I have confidence in jon Fav that he made a good choice, even though it was his second choice for the role ha ha.

Very very excited for Iron Man 2 I hope it lives up to the hype and surpasses it! As for Avengers, i know  jon favreau is not directing, so i hope they get JJ Abrams for directing duties! He has the talent and the experence with large casts that this film will need.

#6 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she'll do pretty good, and lets not forget if she is playing a Russian spy she wouldn't have a Russian accent.

Also I thought Favreau wasn't directing the Avengers?

#7 Posted by RafaGreyDanvers (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I think an Avengers movie witouth Ms Marvel isn't an Avengers movie completely.
#8 Posted by drawme (423 posts) - - Show Bio

I´m also looking forward to this movie, really exited.

#9 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

eeeeeeagerrrrrr!

#10 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO Scar-Jo? lol.

#11 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio
@Agent Buttons said:
"Can't wait for this movie "

Neither can I. Scarlett Johannson will make a cool Black Widow.
#12 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I still wish Emily Blunt got the part.
#13 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it will be good.  If Scarlett gets nekkid or at least shows some cleaveage and/or leg, well, I'm a happy camper, accent or not.   Yeah, I said it.
#14 Posted by Pez85 (205 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxana Meta said:
"Did anyone else catch this? ; )  "citing that is was STARKly different from any other film she has ever worked on. " "

lol Good eye.
#15 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3549 posts) - - Show Bio

It's really up in the air if she will have her accent. Remember what they did to the Baroness in G.I. Joe The Rise of Cobra. No accent at all, but they really altered the character.

I actually feel more for the stuntmen in the Iron Man suits. Not being able to eat, drink, or use the bathroom. Who knows how many hours they spend in that thing and get tossed around. I think that's something we will all need to remember and think about when we go see the next film and watch the previous one.
It reminds me of a story I saw on the extra content on the Lord of the Rings Special DVDs. They showed the guy who played the lead Uruk-hai. He couldn't sleep laying down. In costume he had to sleep sitting in a wheel barrel.

#16 Posted by DeadPool a.k.a Wade Wilson (979 posts) - - Show Bio

Really Happy with the Casting on this one, I'm sorry but Emily Blunt didn't cover it for me. Still don't understand while others still want her. Scar-Jo as so wonderfully put by G, is great for the role and i think she will do justice to the Sultry Spy. Can't Wait For May 7 ( =

#17 Posted by Dipic (128 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid_Zombie said:
" Thats the only thing that scares me, will she be able to pull off the Russian accent? A bad accent can ruin a role pretty quickly.  I wasn't to happy when she was cast but I have confidence in jon Fav that he made a good choice, even though it was his second choice for the role ha ha.  Very very excited for Iron Man 2 I hope it lives up to the hype and surpasses it! As for Avengers, i know  jon favreau is not directing, so i hope they get JJ Abrams for directing duties! He has the talent and the experence with large casts that this film will need. "
Assuming she even does an accent, which there's a possibility that she won't.
#18 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (262 posts) - - Show Bio

My first choice for the Black Widow had been Emily Blunt, but Johansson is talented and I trust she'll be good in this. I'm wondering about the accent too, though...

#19 Posted by vuki (61 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:
" I think it will be good.  If Scarlett gets nekkid or at least shows some cleaveage and/or leg, well, I'm a happy camper, accent or not.   Yeah, I said it. "
:D Same here. But I think she'll do just fine. Both the accent and cleavage ;)
#20 Posted by Illuminarch (244 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:
" I think she'll do pretty good, and lets not forget if she is playing a Russian spy she wouldn't have a Russian accent."

Ding ding. Winner right here.
#21 Posted by scott_smith65 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of Scar-Jo at all. Hope she doesn't screw up Black Widow. I'm with the Emily Blunt supporters.

#22 Posted by movieartman (995 posts) - - Show Bio

FOR GODS SAKE WHEN DOES THE IRON MAN 2 TRALIER COME OUT
#23 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
@movieartman said:
"FOR GODS SAKE WHEN DOES THE IRON MAN 2 TRALIER COME OUT "

You might be able to see it when RDJ's other movie, Sherlock Holmes, comes out on Christmas day.
#24 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems I'll have to face up to the fact that the extremely amazing Emily Blunt (who is perfect for the role btw ...) will not be playing one of my favourite female superheroes .... *sigh*.

Oh well, Let's see if ScarJo can do a good job. She looks good I guess. But I hope she doesn't speak, I hate her croaky voice! 

#25 Posted by Om1kron (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe the director is producing or is a co-producer on the new avengers project, because he specifically stated he doesn't want to direct it.

#26 Posted by Fuloqwam (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Give me a hot Russian accent and a zipper that's only half-functional, and there's no way I'll dislike this movie.

#27 Posted by rouju (159 posts) - - Show Bio
@AngelFrost: U're not talkin bout her album right? Anyway, she looks good on that costume (but no Russians feel whatsoever though, just look good)
#28 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on the portrayal.

#29 Posted by ~Mystery~ (303 posts) - - Show Bio

she looks good in the pic.. i hope this one is  good

#30 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio
@rouju:  No, I'm talking about how she speaks.   Have you not noticed that her voice is always croaky and scratchy?
#31 Posted by crazywolf (653 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw her in The Prestige on DVD a few days ago and she did ok with a British accent. Didn't notice anything croaky, froggy, scratchy or whatever about her voice. Sounded like a woman's voice. Have to wait and see how she does as the Black Widow. At least her hair doesn't look like dreadlocks anymore.

#32 Posted by grimreaper1980 (619 posts) - - Show Bio

i just think the woman from hitman would have been better

#33 Posted by BatDance (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime` said:

" I think she'll do pretty good, and lets not forget if she is playing a Russian spy she wouldn't have a Russian accent.   "

Yeah they don't need to over do some big accent, Spies are trained to be undetectable  

Anyway I'm looking forward to this one

@movieartman said:

" FOR GODS SAKE WHEN DOES THE IRON MAN 2 TRALIER COME OUT "

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.