Follow

Black Widow

Character » Black Widow appears in 3718 issues.

A former KGB agent, Natasha Alianovna Romanova, better known as Natasha Romanoff or Black Widow, was trained by the top-secret Soviet brainwashing and training program, the Red Room, to become the ultimate "Super-Spy". She defected from the Soviet Union to the US to join S.H.I.E.L.D. Subsequently, Black Widow proceeded to become a member of the Avengers and has been on the team on numerous occasions. She's a woman with an enigmatic past which very few are acquainted with.

Review: Black Widow #2

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman

No Caption Provided
    As the Black Widow escapes the hospital, her fellow Avengers discover that she may have been selling their secrets. 

The Good

Natasha's back to her roots and it's a lot more interesting than her being the "long-reformed villain" we've seen for so long. You really can't tell which side of the line she falls on, now. She's dangerous. A lot of more of an anti-heroine and I'm eager to see how she interacts with the fellow anti-heroine who shows up the end of this issue. Liu does a great job of making the sparse dialogue and captions match the tone of this story, giving you the feel of a lean, mean espionage thriller. The script also plays a lot better to Acuna's strengths this time around, avoiding the acrobatics that he seemed to have trouble with in the first issue. His art's really striking - - at time's its cinematic, almost photographic, and then it just as easily switches to a more painterly style. Actually, style is what should be harped on because his art has a suave, sophisticated air that I appreciated. Oh! And his rendering of Pepper Potts is cute as a button.

The Bad

There's nothing much to fault here. Acuna's rendering of Tony Stark wasn't immediately recognizable?  

The Verdict - 4.5/5

This corrected a lot of problems I had with the first issue. I almost wish they'd skipped to this sooner. I know that you don't want to put all your cards on the table right away, but still. If you enjoyed the more dangerous, unpredictable side to Black Widow in the movie, you're going to love this, which captures that while still staying true to the comics' history. And, now, I'm definitely intrigued to see where this "Xavier Files"-style storyline goes. Is this Natasha's return to her wicked ways? Or is she being framed?
    malovane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By malovane

Sounds like this line may be worth grabbing.
    BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

Have to buy it when it comes out in Germany !

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By doordoor123

I didnt really like the first issue. Is it pretty much the same?

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By WW-Fan

oh sounds good :)
    starz007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By starz007

Great issue. 

thefable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thefable

I usually read Marvel via Trade paperbacks - does this spoil future storylines if I am only at the Dark Reign stage of the Marvel Universe timeline? 

BlackWidowBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlackWidowBoy

Having Read it, I'd say issue number two was better than one, Nat is demonstrating why she is to never be underestimated. The pacing is better, the art flows with the tone, and we see her less of guess appearence. Issue One i found to be clumsy and while i understood the need to draw the reader in to the mystery and set up the story there was nothing that imediatly griped me the way Guardians did without even trying.  Nat can sell a book and there are many many stories that can be told for the fact that she does go more periods of time in between appearence and spots on teams before the past few years, and She has been a agent of SHIELD, throughout, a genre and factor not really touched on too much by other characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.