New Black Widow series/book announced at NYCC 2013

#1 Edited by animehunter (1751 posts) - - Show Bio

NYCC LIVE: Marvel Brings The Avengers into All-New Marvel NOW!

"The second thing we do is lie to you." The "Atonement" teaser refers to a new ongoing "Black Widow" series written by Nathan Edmondson and Phil Noto. More will be revealed at the Women of Marvel panel.

Phil Noto's cover for "Black Widow" #1

UPDATE

NYCC 2013: Black Widow Atones For Evil Past In New Series

Black Widow is one of the big stars of Marvel’s Avengers franchise, and this January she’s going solo.

Who Is Jake Ellis’ Nathan Edmondson and Uncanny X-Force’s Phil Noto are taking the deadly S.H.I.E.L.D. agent out on her own in a new ongoing series titled Black Widow. Teased earlier this month with an image of the word “Atonement,” this new Black Widow series follows the former KGB assassin as she looks to even the scales against all the evil deeds she’s done earlier in her life. Edmondson describes Natasha Romanoff as “haunted,” taking the initiative to track down threats across the world – while doing all outside the auspices of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Avengers. Mirroring the statement made by the character recently in the Avengers movie, Black Widow is looking to wipe out the red from her ledger.

Newsarama: So Nathan, what can you tell us about this new Black Widow series?

Nathan Edmondson: It's not your momma's Black Widow! We've really approached the Black Widow series in a fresh and vibrant way. It's cutthroat, sexy and full of secrets.

Nrama: Marvel teased this title earlier this month with the word “Atonement;” What does that word mean for this series?

Edmondson: Black Widow is an Avenger, but that's really her side job. She's the Black Widow, a mercenary spy and assassin. But because of her past as a KGB agent, a killer, a villain, she is haunted and will spend her entire life trying to make up for what she's done. We'll learn quickly exactly how she's doing that, bit by bit, every day.

Nrama: Black Widow’s faced everyone from her ex-KGB colleagues to aliens and extra-dimensional beings – but what kind of threats will she face in this series?

Edmondson: You'll find Black Widow is a very pro-active character in this series. She's often on the hunt. She goes up against jungle militia, ninja assassins, arms dealers, secret organizations and a mysterious villain in the first six issues…and then some.

Nrama: Black Widow has a deep past with her days as a KGB assassin and how she turned to join the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. Will you be delving much into her early days for this series?

Edmondson: Not all that much, certainly not at first. We're diving right in and moving full steam ahead.

Nrama: When you got the chance to do this series, how’d you go about appraising Natasha as a character?

Edmondson: We spent a while mentally getting to know her, understanding her balance. She is attractive, fun, and engaging while still being the complex mystery that she is; she can't be too dark or morose. We found the balance, but honestly at the end of the day we just point at Phil he draws a Black Widow you can't tear your eyes from.

Nrama: And after that research, what would you say she boils down to be?

Edmondson: She's a ruthless and capable spy with a past to atone for.

Nrama: What are the most interesting aspects of Black Widow that you aim to focus on in this series?

Edmondson: She's a businesswoman, we'll learn. And while she's a loner, she manages certain relationships carefully, and keeps a handful of key people close to her. She's decisive and driven but psychologically tortured. And she's very hard on herself. This is not a one-dimensional character; she's a true pleasure to write, a real challenge to bring to life.

Nrama: When I spoke with Kelly Sue DeConnick about Black Widow in Avengers Assemble, she described Natasha as someone who keeps everyone at arm’s length. Will anyone be appearing with Black Widow on a regular basis in this series?

Edmondson: As I mention above, she has a few relationships that she must maintain, but the inestimable Kelly Sue is right on the money, of course. On one hand Natasha can't afford to keep too many people close. Her iPhone contact list is pretty sad, and she doesn't throw cocktail parties or even date, really. And on the other hand, she's so focused on her own issues, her own missions--to a fault--that she has no room to let anyone else in.

Nrama: You and Phil Noto -- sounds like a great pairing. What are you hoping for with Phil on the art side here, given his abilities?

Edmondson: Phil was part of the pitch when Marvel approached me. Working with him is a bit like winning the lottery. He's unbelievably talented and he was born to illustrate Black Widow. I'm partial, of course, but I think this is some of the--if not the--best work he's ever done.

Nrama: Lastly, how do her colleagues at Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. feel about her outside actions on her own? Or do they even know?

Edmondson: It's been fun so far to explore her complicated relationship with both groups. She's Black Widow, mercenary first, though, and Avenger/ S.H.I.E.L.D. agent second. She loans her time to them. As Black Widow, she's able to do things that S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers cannot, she can get close and get intel and take out bad guys in ways that the full brute of the other heroes and operations couldn't, and she can do it with a level of secrecy they couldn't hope to. There's power in being alone, when you can slip in to a hotel or prison or embassy unnoticed, in disguise, and slip back out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NYCC: Edmondson Balances a Bloody Ledger in "Black Widow"

Marvel Comics' Black Widow is best known as a member of the Avengers and a top operative of the U.N. controlled espionage agency S.H.I.E.L.D., but she wasn't always a hero. In the early days of the Cold War, the woman who would come to be known as the Black Widow, Natasha Romanoff, was transformed into a genetically enhanced spy, saboteur and assassin by a secret arm of the Soviet Union's intelligence service.

After years of faithful service Natasha's Soviet masters tasked her with bringing down Tony Stark. It was her encounters with Iron Man and another future Avenger, Hawkeye, that led to her defection from the Soviet Union and a new heroic path. Though she's walked the righteous path for many years now, the death and destruction in the Black Widow's past still weigh heavily on her conscience -- and she's ready to do more than atone for them.

This January, writer Nathan Edmondson and artist Phil Noto kick off a new "Black Widow" ongoing series that will allow her to do exactly that. CBR News spoke with Edmondson about his plans for the All-New Marvel NOW! series, announced by Marvel during yesterday's "Avengers" panel at New York Comic Con, which chronicles Natasha time away from the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D.

CBR News: Nathan, as a writer of books like "The Activity," "Who is Jake Ellis?", and "Dancer" you regularly write espionage thrillers ranging from grounded to fantastic. As the writer of a new "Black Widow" series you're given a chance to bring those kinds of stories into the Marvel Universe. How does that feel? And in terms of balancing the realistic and fantastic, how will "Black Widow" compare to some of your other works? Or will that vary on a story by story basis?

Nathan Edmondson: It feels great! We are having a total blast with this book. The story is fast paced, character-driven, and action-packed. Phil's approach on art is fully fresh and thoroughly sexy. We couldn't have struck a better balance, I don't think, to tell an ongoing Natasha story.

Certainly, Marvel's favorite spy assassin warrants a more grounded book than many others in the NOW! canon. Her world is real; her apartment is small, her enemies are warlords or martial arts killers and the gun she aims at them fires very real hollow points; she dangles on steel wire outside of towering Dubai hotels, she doesn't have a jetpack.

That said, you're right -- it will vary story to story. We may not find Black Widow hunting an alien on the moon, but this is the Marvel Universe. Natasha will have to face super villains, and at times work alongside an Avenger or two. What makes her such a great character to write in the Marvel U, though, is that she has an advantage over Iron Man or Thor: they can't really go anywhere secret, and their foes are usually as famous (infamous) as they are. Natasha can slip into a country, a city, a hotel, a laboratory unseen, she can move in the shadows and strike in the dead of night. The Avengers need a secret agent, and S.H.I.E.L.D. needs a bad ass. She's the only girl for the job.

Let's move on from the tone of the series to its title character, Natasha Romanoff. What about her do you find most compelling? And which aspects of her personality you are you especially interested in exploring in this series? Can you talk about what her motivations are and what she's up to when the series begins?

Without giving too many of our plot turns away, Natasha is a character driven by atonement. She's a hero now, but she was a villain, and a dirty one. The kinds of things she's guilty of in her past, in Russia, do not go away with some vitamin B and a glass of water in the morning. She has a lifetime to make up for her past deeds, and we'll see that her "penance," if you will, is both interior and exterior: she's helping her own psyche as well as those she's injured, in a very particular way.

So she's broken, but she's also a lethal, professional killer. How to reconcile those two? What makes this side of her so great for storytelling is that her past gives her every choice in the present much more weight, much more significance. And it gives this Avenger, this instrument of espionage, great humility; which is not something you find a lot of in the superhero world. I mean, hey, if I could drop onto a train, separate the cars, kill the bad guys and steal the MacGuffin all in an afternoon -- and get paid a heckuva lot to do it, I'd go out on the town and celebrate in grand fashion. Natasha doesn't. She goes home. Alone.

Natasha doesn't look it thanks to the experiments the Red Room subjected her to, but she's very long lived. How important will exploring her past be in this series? Will we get flashback sequences showing us the person Natasha used to be? And are there any eras of her past you're especially interested in exploring?

Don't dwell on the past! Initially when structuring this series we decided to make it a fast book that's moving forward quickly in the present. So initially, you jump into the action and the missions and the big scary something that Natasha starts to uncover...

That said, her past is certainly relevant, and we will see some flashbacks both familiar and not as the story progresses. But it's not a book about Natasha's past. It's a book about her future -- and the future of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers and the safety of people at large, at least in some respects.

What can you tell us about the supporting cast of "Black Widow?" Will Natasha have any support on her missions? Will any of the Marvel heroes she has strong ties with like, say, Hawkeye or Iron Man play a roles in the series?

This will definitely be her book and you'll feel that she's the loner that she is. So not a whole lot of teaming up. But there is her (only) confidant: Isaac, her attorney. The S.H.I.E.L.D. director and a few other key people are in her "social circle," and of course, some ruthless villains. But she's the female Bond: not a team player, except for those rare times when she picks up the phone for S.H.I.E.L.D. or the Avengers. And who knows, at some point she might make a call herself to get some support from one or the other. You never know when you need Iron Man to pull you out of something.

Keep your eyes peeled. You can't throw a stone into the Marvel pond and not see ripples hit all kinds of other familiar faces, good and bad.

What kinds of obstacles and adversaries are you interested in pitting Natasha against in "Black Widow?" Are there certain character types or organizations that especially lend themselves to the role of antagonists in the stories you're interested in telling?

Black Widow chooses her jobs carefully, and we'll find her up against or infiltrating or spying or extorting all kinds of do-no-gooders around the globe. Some are relatively small time thugs who need a beating. Some are political leaders, and some are super-power-endowed, grudge-holding villains. In the first six issues, we'll find her facing off against a variety, but we will also see that there is something going on behind the scenes, something sinister, something big, and she is coming up against it.

Phil Noto recently showed off his flair for action-espionage stories with fantastic Marvel Universe style twists in an arc on "Thunderbolts," but what do you feel he brings to this book and the character of Natasha specifically?

You're going to see something from Phil you've never seen before, in style and quality. We all know how great Phil is. His art needs no introduction. And yet, when you crack the pages of issue one I'm convinced you'll be very pleasantly awestruck by what he's cooked up. And then, in issue #2, and beyond, you'll see a variety of style suiting each mission so that the book is always fresh and alive and yet always, beautifully, Phil Noto. And under his pencil, Natasha is one very lovely, very mysterious woman you just won't get enough of.

Finally, what can you tell us about your initial "Black Widow" story? Is it a done-in-one story or the beginning of a longer arc?

The first few issues are fairly stand-alone. The reader will quickly learn, however, that something bigger is unfolding, something that will start to rear its head at the end of the first arc. But don't miss issue #1. It's special and we're damn proud of it.

This ain't your momma's Black Widow. And this ain't a book you'd expect to find in the halls of Marvel NOW!, in the same way that "Hawkeye" was such a surprise: so be ready for something unexpected!

"Black Widow" #1 by Nathan Edmondson and Phil Noto debuts in January from Marvel Comics.

Art from NYCC: The Women of Marvel Panel

Black Widow, with Phil Noto art, was featured in the slide-show for fans, including cover art for issue #2 and exclusive interior art.

TEASER

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/114/435/original/ATONEMENT2.jpg?1380637130

With today's teaser, Marvel is asking for ATONEMENT, though for what, we can't be sure. What we do know is that the color scheme brings to mind the Black Widow, a character who has recently been seen lamenting the destruction and pain left in her path over the course of her career as a spy, for both Russia and S.H.I.E.L.D. Writer Nathan Edmonson, who is known for his secret agent tales with "Dancer" and the Jake Ellis series, and artist Phil Noto are listed as the unnamed project's creative team.

Accompanied by the now-ubiquitous semi-hidden "1" in the background, the teaser promises answers during the Avengers panel -- another detail which points to Black Widow -- at New York Comic Con. CBR News will be there, reporting live from the panel, on October 11 at 4PM Eastern.

WILL BRING MORE INFO AS I GET THEM

#2 Edited by darthfury78 (760 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see Natasha up against some of Spider's rogue galleries.

#4 Edited by animehunter (1751 posts) - - Show Bio

Art from NYCC: The Women of Marvel Panel

Black Widow, with Phil Noto art, was featured in the slide-show for fans, including cover art for issue #2 and exclusive interior art.

#5 Edited by Mercy_ (92256 posts) - - Show Bio

IT'S GONNA BE SO AWESOME I CAN'T WAIT

#6 Posted by danhimself (22210 posts) - - Show Bio

Phil Noto is definitely going to draw me into this

I am kind of upset that Marvel didn't take my advice and give the book to Asmus and Mann

#7 Posted by Mercy_ (92256 posts) - - Show Bio

I am kind of upset that Marvel didn't take my advice and give the book to Asmus and Mann

I would have cried happy tears

Phil Noto is GREAT, though.

#8 Posted by danhimself (22210 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

I would have cried happy tears

Phil Noto is GREAT, though.

I think you and I have already had the conversation about how awesome it would be if Asmus and Mann did a Black Widow series lol

agreed having Noto doing the art is just about as awesome

#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92256 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I'm pretty sure we did, and it's because we both have great taste :D

He's also one of the few artists who draws her with the zipper up all or most of the way. So points for that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.