New Black Widow Ongoing

#1 Posted by Chane (539 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
 Black Widow #1 Cover By Series Artist Daniel Acuna

This April, the sexy spider weaves her web in brand new territory when she stars in her very own self-titled ongoing series written by Marjorie Liu.

"I'm intrigued that she has no powers beyond her own natural, human abilities and yet, she manages to hold her own against immensely powerful individuals, who are intimated by her, and who respect her," says Liu of her series' star. "She's incredibly confident, totally in control-ruthless, pragmatic, fiercely intelligent. And she can kill you with her pinky. What's not to like?"

Black Widow #1 Variant By Jelena Kevic Djurdjevic     

Liu plans on immediately putting Natasha's countless skills to the test beginning with the very first issue, which sets the dark and gritty tone of the series. However, no matter how long and dangerous the road, Liu says Natasha always treks it through to the end due to her unbeatable will and relentless attitude.

"The measure of a dangerous character isn't the strength of the body but the mind," says the writer. "And she's one of the most dangerous women in the world." 

"I want to establish Black Widow as her own character, not as someone's girlfriend or the member of a team," she says.  "Which isn't to say that the Black Widow's relationships won't be explored, but she's a cunning, ruthless woman whose physical prowess would be nothing without her staggering intelligence.  She's a force to be reckoned with, in every possible way." 

Taken from Marvel.Com

Written by Marjorie Liu 
Art by Daniel Acu ña 
Variant by Jelena Kevic Djurdjevic 

Personally, I don't want another title to add to my regular comic shopping... but this does look like it should be a good series.
#3 Posted by Victorian era Nighthunter (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad that Black Widow is finally getting an ongoing but damn I don't want to add yet another title to my pull list, yet the creative team seems to good to pass. I'll wait for reviews

It would have been awesome if Brubaker was the writer, Marjorie Liu is still good though

#4 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just curious as to why? Black Widow, really? There are so many more Marvel characters without ongoings and they chose Black Widow?

#5 Posted by Victorian era Nighthunter (37 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" I'm just curious as to why? Black Widow, really? There are so many more Marvel characters without ongoings and they chose Black Widow? "
  1. Iron man movie
  2. Marvel has been pushing Black Widow for awhile
  3. Marvel needs a female hero with an ongoing. With Ms. Marvel finishing they don't have any other
  4. The month it is launching has also been promoted as the campaign of "Women of Marvel"
  5. Black Widow has had a long career both on the Avengers and as the co-feature in the Avengers
#6 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" I'm just curious as to why? Black Widow, really? There are so many more Marvel characters without ongoings and they chose Black Widow? "
She's had two recent minis (Deadly Origins & Black Widow and the Girls).  So it isn't much of a step-up from those to an on-going.  And it really does make sense to publish as much material with her in before the movie.  
#7 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Victorian era Nighthunter: @xerox-kitty: I forgot that she is going to be in Iron Man 2.
#8 Posted by BoOMbOoMpOw (1711 posts) - - Show Bio

Wuhhuuuu can`t wait !!!

#9 Posted by brc2000 (1679 posts) - - Show Bio
@Victorian era Nighthunter said:
" @Nobody said:
  1. Marvel needs a female hero with an ongoing. With Ms. Marvel finishing they don't have any other
"
Spider-Woman has her own ongoing. 

Anyway Black Widow is a cool character and the series looks interesting. Lamer characters have gotten their own series.
#10 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

you are right, I did forget about Jessica

#11 Posted by War Killer (19965 posts) - - Show Bio
@brc2000 said:
" @Victorian era Nighthunter said:
" @Nobody said:
  1. Marvel needs a female hero with an ongoing. With Ms. Marvel finishing they don't have any other
"
Spider-Woman has her own ongoing.   Anyway Black Widow is a cool character and the series looks interesting. Lamer characters have gotten their own series. "

True, but I think fans will like Black Widow more then Spider-Woman anyways. 

But I do agree with Nighthunter, I do think this may be better if Brubaker was writing it, I've loved Widow in Captain America, her and Bucky make the best team together, I am also wondering if Bucky may make a guest appereance every now and then.
#12 Posted by DMC (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

good luck  ^_^
#13 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5416 posts) - - Show Bio
 @Nobody said:
"I'm just curious as to why? Black Widow, really? There are so many more Marvel characters without ongoings and they chose Black Widow? "

@Victorian era Nighthunter said:
" @Nobody said:
  1. Iron man movie
  2. Marvel has been pushing Black Widow for awhile
  3. Marvel needs a female hero with an ongoing. With Ms. Marvel finishing they don't have any other
  4. The month it is launching has also been promoted as the campaign of "Women of Marvel"
  5. Black Widow has had a long career both on the Avengers and as the co-feature in the Avengers
"

Black Widow also has her web weaved throut the Marvel universe, with ties not only to the Avengers as stated, but also to Daredevil and the "Marvel Knights", Wolverine (wich brings in the X-Men).  I'm sure we can tie her into the cosmics in some way as well, as well as the mystical realm of Marvel wi Dr. Strange.   

SO there is a whole universe of story possibilities from this one little red headed spy from Mother Russia that can go back many years. 

I picked up the first issue and cannot wait to see how this turns out.
#14 Posted by Erik (31623 posts) - - Show Bio

It came out already?! My comic guy sucks! He never told me.

#15 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5416 posts) - - Show Bio
@erik:
Pretty sure it was just this week, but , yea, get on your comic guy.  Tell him you need your Widow fix on time, DMMIT!.   lol.
#16 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

i read it. it was pretty good. can't wait till the next issue

#17 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@moviegeek17:   no it wasnt
#18 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5416 posts) - - Show Bio

I just read Marvel Previews......is this making it past #5?  I didin't see a listing for her :(  (besides the mini with Hawkeye, Mokingbird and Ronin)
#19 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

i just love the series! :D
#20 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5416 posts) - - Show Bio
@erik:
Ya know what really sucks?  I have yet to see #3    >:6 

All ready got on my guy to catch me up.
#21 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

Iit's weird.  Although the 'ongoing' seems to have disappeared without any confirmation of cancellation... there's been various other mini series, and she's still stealing the cover spotlight on other titles...

#22 Posted by THALASTDRAGON (387 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked tha first arc, i like liu and acuna.  but i was a lil worried when duane s. took over, cuz i didnt like what he did when he got on immortal iron fist.  but he surprised me and im likin tha current arc so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.