Follow

Black Widow

Character » Black Widow appears in 3722 issues.

A former KGB agent, Natasha Alianovna Romanova, better known as Natasha Romanoff or Black Widow, was trained by the top-secret Soviet brainwashing and training program, the Red Room, to become the ultimate "Super-Spy". She defected from the Soviet Union to the US to join S.H.I.E.L.D. Subsequently, Black Widow proceeded to become a member of the Avengers and has been on the team on numerous occasions. She's a woman with an enigmatic past which very few are acquainted with.

Mark Waid and Chris Samnee Announced as New BLACK WIDOW Creative Team

• 59 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Cover by Chris Samnee/Matthew Wilson
    Cover by Chris Samnee/Matthew Wilson

A new creative team is coming to BLACK WIDOW in early 2016. Writer Mark Waid, artist Chris Samnee, colorist Matthew Wilson, and letterer Joe Caramagna will be the driving force behind this book, after coming off a stellar run of DAREDEVIL, as revealed by EW. Wait and Samnee discussed the upcoming book and revealed what fans can expect from the new series.

Waid says they'll be using Nathan Edmondson and Phil Noto's volume as a jumping-off point for the book. You don't have to read their run, but it wouldn't hurt. This volume will take place 8 months after the last volume. They will be utilizing previous events to help push their new stories. There will also be a new villain in Widow's life that will be her biggest threat yet.

Samnee has already been working on the new series and discussed the volume and first issue.

I started work on Widow a week after I finished Daredevil. It’s my love letter to Gerry Conway and Gene Colan in a way, but also we’re doing the absolute worst things possible to Widow. But I think that’s kind of what you have to do — kill your darlings. If I didn’t love her so much, I wouldn’t give her such a hard time. She gets beat down, but the great thing about Widow is that she always gets back up. And I think we’re going to see that for at least a year: getting beat down and getting back up on top. I’m looking forward to dragging Widow through the dirt.

BLACK WIDOW hits local comic shops in early 2016.

By Chris Samnee
    By Chris Samnee

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#1  Edited By Teerack

I REALLY like that webbing on the chest looks so cool. This creative team is one of the best there is so I'm super happy to see where this takes Nat. Her new hair also owns.

Ran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Tell me no more, I'm sold!

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Jeez. And here I thought there was no way I'd be reading this title again if Edmonson and Noto weren't coming back.

GG, Marvel.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh yes!! After Noto's superb run on Widow ended I really hoped we would get another Black Widow series soon, will definetely be getting this!

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By superhoodie

I like that kept the Waid and Samnee together.

Janjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope it doesn't get confused with cinematic version.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Don't like the art so it's a no-buy for me. At least I won't feel bad just getting X-Men titles! :)

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that whole excerpt of what Samnee says comes off as...just so creepy...Jesus...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 vance_astro  Moderator

Countdown to cancellation.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By DrellAssassin

Wow, that's a hell of a way to follow up Edmonson/Noto's run. I like that this character is receiving a creative push.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MarvelYou! Where everyone gets a story. And we mean everyone.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_stegman  Moderator
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

People are hyped on Waid and Samnee due to their vastly overrated run on Daredevil.When Natasha starts cracking non stop witty jokes,and Waid has her turn her guns in for a magical pony,I'm gonna laugh at all of you.He can't seem to leave his past behind,with Daredevil he turned back to the clock to Stan Lee and Gen Colan ,now with Widow it''s gonna be Conway lol.Hopefully I'm wrong cause I love the character but I feel that this is the wrong creative team for her.Hopefully we don't see her running around in a tuxedo fighting crime.

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By BetaRaybdw

Art sucks. We'll have to see on the story. And though Natasha is on the good guys side, she is a ruthless stone-cold killer portraying her as anything else is a disservice

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was surprised how long she lasted under Edmondson,but since Marvel loves I'll they'll be patient with him.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Really sad to see Edmonson and Noto leaving the book. It was consistently my favorite book that Marvel during it's run. Not a huge fan of Samnee's art and Waid is often hit or miss with me. I'm probably going to wait on this for an arc or two to come out and make a decision to buy then after seeing some reviews or a Comixology sale.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarjo is bae

omarthmainman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Marvel what happened to the whole lets diversify? How come a woman isn't writing this??

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really sad to see Edmonson and Noto leaving the book. It was consistently my favorite book that Marvel during it's run. Not a huge fan of Samnee's art and Waid is often hit or miss with me. I'm probably going to wait on this for an arc or two to come out and make a decision to buy then after seeing some reviews or a Comixology sale.

I read a few issues of Edmondson and thought he wrote the Black series that defined everything she is.I wish I had the money to keep up with it.The story and art was amazing.I have a feeling Waid will do a full 180 on the series despite what he says.He seems to like to focus a great deal on the positivity in superhero comics,and that's completely fine,but imo that doesn't work too well with the characters that's he's written in Marvel such as Daredevil,Hulk and now Black Widow,but we'll see what happens.Fanboys of Waid will always support him.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate said:

I read a few issues of Edmondson and thought he wrote the Black series that defined everything she is.I wish I had the money to keep up with it.The story and art was amazing.I have a feeling Waid will do a full 180 on the series despite what he says.He seems to like to focus a great deal on the positivity in superhero comics,and that's completely fine,but imo that doesn't work too well with the characters that's he's written in Marvel such as Daredevil,Hulk and now Black Widow,but we'll see what happens.Fanboys of Waid will always support him.

I'm still holding out hope that Marvel will release a Winter Soldier book with Edmonson on as the writer as he really seems to get that type of character and he had some very good guest appearances in the Black Widow series. Plus, Noto's work was phenomenal the whole way through the run. Hope they can collaborate again at some point in the future.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason that webbing on the chest makes this costume SO much better than her previous. not sure why

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fully support this decision.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: If that team gets put on Winter Soldier I will buy it.Edmondson was also good on Deathlok.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 owie  Moderator

Excellent. I didn't quite get into the writing of her character in the last arc, she seemed a bit too soft to me, if that makes sense, and dropped it early on. But this should be great.

I was kind of hoping for a combined Black Widow/Elektra series, I think that would be very interesting.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

This series will be caught in a web.

WAM-Hope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I really want to see is the rol/fate of the Red Widow

Skyhawk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, I was hoping for a Netflix Black Widow. This is almost as good.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: If that team gets put on Winter Soldier I will buy it. Edmondson was also good on Deathlok.

I heard that. I will probably pick that series up at some point if it goes on sale on Comixology.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omarthmainman: lol what a dumb ass way of thinking. Why MUST a girl write a book with a girl lead?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vance_astro  Moderator

@vance_astro said:

I was surprised how long she lasted under Edmondson,but since Marvel loves I'll they'll be patient with him.

I actually like Black Widow I just don't think she deserves a solo series.

RedHood1047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: She totally does. Her series that just ended was amazing and one of the books I was always looking forward to the most

RedHood1047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only need a Scarlet Spider series now!!! To complete my wish list

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Awesome! They did wonderful on Daredevil, I'm excited.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I havent read a ton of Black Widow because they never have a team i care about doing her stories. This I will have to check out.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna miss the old creative team but this is a really good one as well so I really can't complain.

CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: Her recent series got 20 issues and that only ended due to Secret Wars, I'd say she can hold a solo for quite a while.

CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: She totally does. Her series that just ended was amazing and one of the books I was always looking forward to the most

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 vance_astro  Moderator

To each his own but I just think Black Widow is a character that belongs on a team. I don't think she holds much significance by herself.

@vance_astro: Her recent series got 20 issues and that only ended due to Secret Wars, I'd say she can hold a solo for quite a while.

Meh...

Antigonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I think Natasha is often really undersold in team books. Her skillset/power level is really easy to drown out in the giant bloat of Avengers books. She could be an interesting team character, because she's not a natural team player, but it's rare that writers play with that. There have been some exceptions, like Ellis's Secret Avengers, and more focused books like Marvel Knights, but as a Natasha fan I almost always like her better when she's in her own book, even when that book is terrible.

Then again, "team character" vs "solo character" is an increasingly meaningless designation at Marvel.

I'm excited about this announcement and creative team :) I actually think a change in tone after the Edmondson/Noto volume would be good, and would fit with the choices she made at the end of that run.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 vance_astro  Moderator

Personally, I think Natasha is often really undersold in team books. Her skillset/power level is really easy to drown out in the giant bloat of Avengers books. She could be an interesting team character, because she's not a natural team player, but it's rare that writers play with that. There have been some exceptions, like Ellis's Secret Avengers, and more focused books like Marvel Knights, but as a Natasha fan I almost always like her better when she's in her own book, even when that book is terrible.

Then again, "team character" vs "solo character" is an increasingly meaningless designation at Marvel.

I'm excited about this announcement and creative team :) I actually think a change in tone after the Edmondson/Noto volume would be good, and would fit with the choices she made at the end of that run.

Natasha is undersold in teams books because they cancelled books like "The Champions" where she was the leader and made EVERYTHING about the Avengers. Secret Avengers was supposed to be a more covert team so she fits better with them but I don't think she should have EVER been an Avenger. Their purpose is bigger than what she brings to the table.

Champion99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't bring myself to get hype over a BW book

ligier86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ligier86

That's a pretty strong creative team. I wonder if this run will last as long as the Daredevil one.

Champion99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't bring myself to get hype over a BW book

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Marvel what happened to the whole lets diversify? How come a woman isn't writing this??

Yeah, let's completely ignore the actual quality of the creators of this book but judge them from the way they were born instead because men writing women is sexist and oppressive.

Feminists these days........

omarthmainman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omarthmainman: Alright, though it didn't seem like one at first glance though.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't get excited for a Black Widow book especially with this team

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman@knightsofdarkness2 It's a joke and nothing more.

Funny you said that because some sites like Mary sue even though they praised the team but really did took an issue for having all male team for Black Widow & connecting it to how hard is for women to get projects like these in Marvel.

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadgod said:
    @omarthmainman said:

@allstarsuperman@knightsofdarkness2 It's a joke and nothing more.

Funny you said that because some sites like Mary sue even though they praised the team but really did took an issue for having all male team for Black Widow & connecting it to how hard is for women to get projects like these in Marvel.

Mary Sue is just a sexist, man-hating, disgusting and a laughably idiotic site. The writers over there are just.....wow. They're the idiots complaining about the Killing Joke getting an adaption. Screw those guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.