Follow

Black Widow

Character » Black Widow appears in 3721 issues.

A former KGB agent, Natasha Alianovna Romanova, better known as Natasha Romanoff or Black Widow, was trained by the top-secret Soviet brainwashing and training program, the Red Room, to become the ultimate "Super-Spy". She defected from the Soviet Union to the US to join S.H.I.E.L.D. Subsequently, Black Widow proceeded to become a member of the Avengers and has been on the team on numerous occasions. She's a woman with an enigmatic past which very few are acquainted with.

Marjorie Liu Talks To Comic Vine About Black Widow

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

Marjorie Liu 
    Marjorie Liu 
    Black Widow has been having a great year so far. Not only has she found happiness with Bucky but she's also been enjoying a couple of mini-series (Black Widow: Deadly Origin and Black Widow & The Marvel Girls). Black Widow will also be appearing in a little movie called Iron Man 2 in May. What more could Black Widow ask for? How about an ongoing series written by Marjorie Liu (NYX: No Way Home, Dark Wolverine). 

When word of this came out, we decided to ask Marjorie a few questions to see what we can expect. 

Comic Vine: Congrats on writing the upcoming Black Widow series.  She's been getting a lot of attention lately with her two mini series and of course Iron Man 2.  First off, how did you come on board with this series?

Marjorie Liu: Thanks!  I came on board because I was invited to submit a proposal -- and I suppose it clicked with the folks in charge.  I appreciate the opportunity to write her character.  

No Caption Provided
    Comic Vine:
    You've mentioned that you plan on dealing with Black Widow's superhero themes over the espionage ones, why is that?  About how far do you have the series planned?

Marjorie Liu: Just the first arc, which will be 4-6 issues long.  As for the rest, there will be some espionage in the story, but I'm intrigued by Natasha's role and place within the superhero community.  She doesn't have powers -- the obvious kind, anyway, like flight and telepathy -- but her outstanding mental strength and skills as a spy have still made her a force to be reckoned with.  

CV: Does this mean you have all the secrets as far as what the atmosphere of the Marvel Universe will be after SIEGE?

ML: If only!  

CV:  Where do you plan on taking Natasha in your first story?

ML: Down some dark paths.  Something really terrible happens to her in the first issue, and it's not going to get better.  Many people are conspiring against her, and the betrayals will be huge, and life-changing.

No Caption Provided
    CV:
    I know you want to set up Natasha as her own character. Will there be any appearances or references to Bucky?

ML: Oh, yeah.  Definitely.  He plays a good solid role as a supporting character in the first issue.  

CV: Will writing Black Widow get you an early screening for Iron Man 2?

ML: Dude.  I wish.

CV: What's your opinion on Natasha's costume? Do you think it'd be easy to fight crime in a skin tight leather costume?

ML: I've always looked at super-hero costumes as the physical manifestation of a different personality.  Kind of like when I put on my sunglasses, tight jeans, and high-heeled boots -- I have a little more attitude.  It's a particular kind of armor.   Different than when I'm dragging around in sweats and reading glasses.  A skin tight leather costume?  If that's what she needs to be the Black Widow, then so be it.  That, and I bet she's got that leather worked in.  

CV: What are your thoughts on the "Women of Marvel" campaign?  There's been arguments for and against the promotion. Do you feel there needs to be an emphasis on female characters/creators/readers?

ML: The industry itself, I think, is pretty warm toward female creators -- at least at Marvel.  But we do seem to be a bit invisible, sometimes, as far as comic book readers go.  There's a misconception from the public that there are no women whatsoever in comics -- besides the busty ladies on the covers -- and there's a sense, too, that the female comic book reader doesn't exist. Oh, that elusive creature!   

I think the promotion, if nothing else, will be a way of highlighting these creators to those readers who might have assumed, erroneously, that this is a man's game.

No Caption Provided
    CV:
    Will you still be co-writing Dark Wolverine past issue #85?

ML: Yes.

CV:  What's it been like writing a character like Daken?

ML: Fantastic. You can do so much with him, because he has no boundaries.  

CV:  I believe his name is pronounced "DOCK-en." Do you get a lot of people asking about the pronunciation?

ML: Yes. But you've got it right.

No Caption Provided
    CV:
     It's (finally) been announced that you'll be writing an X-23 one-shot (we'll talk more about that later).  Who do you think would win in a three-way battle, Black Widow, Daken or X-23?

ML: Oh, wow.  I don't even know how to answer that.  I think that Black Widow is so experienced in dealing with fighters who are stronger and faster than her, that she might just be able to pull off a win.  Initially.  X-23 would probably walk away from that, but not Daken.  Daken's pride is immense and terrible, and if he lost a fight to Black Widow, you can bet that he'd find some way to get back at her. So, ultimately, in the long run -- I'd have to bet on him.      
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HaloKing343

This series looks stupid. I hope it does well, but I don't expect it to. Personally, I'm not gonna bother reading it.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By goldenkey

Im still gonna call him DAKE-IN  because DOCK-IN just sounds stupid. 
    gonzooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gonzooo

Yeah I think of him as DAKE-IN too and I think this looks pretty good

Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Archetype

I love espianage! Bourne, Bond, Romanoff, Weston, Fury I love them all.Wrist launchers, hellz yes! sexy martial arts in tight leather, Already! Skillful intelligent and dangerously cunning,Dyn-o-mite!

Joecorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Joecorp
    @HaloKing343: 
    If you want it to do well then you SHOULD read it. 

I can't wait for this series!
    Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tyler Starke

Marjorie Liu is Hot

Aerik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Aerik

Hubba hubba

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#8  Edited By HaloKing343
    @Joecorp said:
    "@HaloKing343: If you want it to do well then you SHOULD read it.   I can't wait for this series! "

Ur probably right
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#9  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Tyler Starke said:
    "Marjorie Liu is Hot "
    LMBO! I agree xD 

I'm looking forward to this series, Black Widow's a fun character to read, and now knowing that Bucky will be in it, well now I'm even my excited! :D Liu seems like a nice person, I haven't read much of her writing though (except for a few issues of Dark Wolverine in the comic book store), so I'm interested in seeing what she does with Natasha.
    pentagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By pentagram

i cant wait

Green Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Green Flash

pumped!

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive been pretty happy with both Black Widow mini's so far, to my surprise.
    NYX and Dark Wolverine have been solid. I think this is going to be a good series.

VenomMagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VenomMagus

Black Widow (like a lot of Marvel's female capes) always seemed like a support character at best to me.  She IS important to a lot of things, but not normally the things that are saving the world.  Having her own limited will totally open her character up a lot.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Also, I always thought it was pronounced da-KEN.  :(

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

It seems odd that Liu is going the "dark" and "tragic" route with Natasha, considering the supposedly upbeat Age of Heroes story arc is just around the corner. However, being that the Age Of Heroes is apparently what leads to an apocalypse according to the 2099 titles, I guess inevitably it's going to wind up dark, regardless.  

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty

She always seems nice in interviews. I had no idea that this new ongoing series was her idea; fair play!  Although I don't know much about the Black Widow, this new series looks interesting... 

@VenomMagus said:

"I always thought it was pronounced da-KEN.  :( "
    It is.  The Japanese don't change an 'a' into an 'o' sound.  However, this is an American comic.  So I guess it depends on personal regional accents.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By dane

awesome interview :)

Branagin77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Branagin77

Dudes I'm totally in this for Acuna's Art, I hope he's in it for the long run... I've recently been reading the Daredevil Black widow stuff from the 70's its pretty good stuff, a little cheesy, but that's what make that era what it is...

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AngelFrost

I love Black Widow. ^^
    <3

Hyperion322

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#19  Edited By Hyperion322

I'm willing to give it a shot, if only to show Marvel that fans support its female characters! ~ Hype

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#21  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @G-Man:  Yeah, I saw that video.  Although I'm very rusty now, I attended Japanese classes a few years ago.  I agree with the meanings & spellings, but not the pronunciation.  The 'a' sound is never slurred into an 'o' sound, just as it isn't drawn out into an 'ah' (that would be daaken).  Just a short 'a', as in 'daddy' or 'dapper'.

defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i can remember how to say " good evening " and " beer " in Japanese.
    thats about it.

Avatar image for the_human_stain
    The Human Stain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The Human Stain

All I can say is "Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto." 

defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

weird. she went to Lawrence U. thats a couple people
    now that worked with Marvel went to my hometown college. 
    i guess i shouldve taken that scholarship up.

BIackFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BIackFlash
    @War Killer said:

" LMBO! I agree xD  I'm looking forward to this series, Black Widow's a fun character to read, and now knowing that Bucky will be in it, well now I'm even my excited! :D Liu seems like a nice person, I haven't read much of her writing though (except for a few issues of Dark Wolverine in the comic book store), so I'm interested in seeing what she does with Natasha. "

Good to see Marjorie Liu get the stories out

I also hear things are looking up for the character Black Window, a possible role in the Avengers movie?

BlackestShite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BlackestShite
    @Archetype said:
    " I love espianage! Bourne, Bond, Romanoff, Weston, Fury I love them all.Wrist launchers, hellz yes! sexy martial arts in tight leather, Already! Skillful intelligent and dangerously cunning,Dyn-o-mite! "
    yeah I'm checking it out
    SilverIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SilverIce

I'm bored by Liu's writing. I think her romance writing style is seeping too much into her comics. Also I've seen her talk at several Comic-cons and didn't find her hot in the least. She is pretty, but in person she looks like a kewpie doll, and sort of speaks like a child too. Maybe with Perkins gone Marvel will soon do another sweep and we'll get back to a more raw and complex AXM.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Blood1991

@Hyperion322 said:

I'm willing to give it a shot, if only to show Marvel that fans support its female characters! ~ Hype

Likewise.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Mercy_

Liu's run on Black Widow was one of my favorite runs on a comic book.

@SilverIce said:

Also I've seen her talk at several Comic-cons and didn't find her hot in the least. She is pretty, but in person she looks like a kewpie doll, and sort of speaks like a child too.

Not denying your point about the romance seeping into her comic writing (I think that was evidenced somewhat clearly towards the end of her X-23 run), but what on Earth does this have to do with her quality of writing?

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By X35

What an odd bump.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By ReVamp

@Mercy_ said:

but what on Earth does this have to do with her quality of writing?

...C'mon Hunt, everyone that female writers' writing becomes proportionally better the hotter they are. Because it makes sense. Clearly.

SilverIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SilverIce

we're on earth? i thought we were on a planet full of lycra-ed hot people with superpowers! (thanks for the laugh ReVamp) i agree that Liu's relative lack of hotness has nothing to do with her writing, but was simply responding to other (irrelevant?) posts. I agree about Black Widow, but not AXM, and am looking for some change there.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.