Follow

Black Widow

Character » Black Widow appears in 3717 issues.

A former KGB agent, Natasha Alianovna Romanova, better known as Natasha Romanoff or Black Widow, was trained by the top-secret Soviet brainwashing and training program, the Red Room, to become the ultimate "Super-Spy". She defected from the Soviet Union to the US to join S.H.I.E.L.D. Subsequently, Black Widow proceeded to become a member of the Avengers and has been on the team on numerous occasions. She's a woman with an enigmatic past which very few are acquainted with.

Black Widow's Boobs

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey

If you haven't seen it yet, new character posters for Black Widow, Nick Fury and Thor have been released to promote Avengers: Age of Ultron. In case you didn't notice after looking at the blant Blog title, I want to focus on Widow's for a bit:

No Caption Provided

I know a lot of people are focusing on the glowing addition to the Black Widow costume (some complain and some blindly let Whedon do anything because he is a comic book movie god), but I'm focusing more on her costume's chest area.

Hear me out: I just noticed this is her first costume that seams the fabric around ScarJo's boobs!

When I see female comic book costumes it always bothers me that the fabric molds into the perfect female body. Especially to show where the boobs are. Wether we are male or female, we all know where the perfectly round, and totally inaccurate, boobs are!

I've taken a few art clases and I know clothes don't mold themselves to the body that way. I know; I made this mistake before in my art. Especially because you learn anotamy first...

Now this movie is doing exactly the same thing... I know it's late to be complaining about female super hero costumes since everybody else on the Internet does it but... c'mon:

I couldn't find a screenshot from The Winter Soilder, but this still gets my point across.
    I couldn't find a screenshot from The Winter Soilder, but this still gets my point across.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Accentuate her sexy body all you want. I mean it is Scarlet Johanson we are talking about here. My question is, why is there a need for the costume department to mold the costume to her body, or more specifically, her boobs? They are literally inventing clothes in order to show off her boobs.

Excuse the rant. Sayonara!

-- Geo (sora_thekey) 24/7 geek! -- Follow me on Twitter: @Geo_sorathekey

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Does it really matter. They obviously already play off her hawtness.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why aren't you a mod anymore?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By amazing_webhead

They never even looked that big to me

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: even that seen from avengers when she's in the chair? They looked big then.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Finally, a blog for me :)

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

it doesn't matter

~MiB

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
    rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Emma and Psylocke's are waay better. I really didn't like Scarlett Johansonn as Black Widow. BW is supposed to be hotter.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

heck I'm just happy it's zipped to a half decent degree.

GLEmerald924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I totally see your point but, as silly as it may be, the costume designers for comic book movies aren't the first to eccentuate a certain part of the female body. A lot of the outfits designed for celebrities are flat out ridiculous, often leaving little to the imagination. Heck, the whole concept of high heels are to accentuate - we should be used to it by now.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By terry2012
    Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well, I could argue for the design simply as being pragmatic. The way it's being shown here is not so much accentuating the boobs, but supporting them. Much like a brassiere worn by many women for rigidity's sake. Think Marilyn Munroe and the corset type bras worn way back before Wonder Bra and tighter than tight lycra.

Just a few initial thoughts on my part. I can see where the OP is coming from but from a uniform point of view, this appears more practical in negating the need for undergarment support.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman It's been a while since I became mod powerless... Did people not notice?! <_>'

@battle_forum_junkie I get that and I am totally used to it, the thing is that (for the most part) they were very good in keeping BW's outfit realistic and funcional.

@ms-lola You just made it sound as if you were describing Superman's underwear being worn on the outside of the outfit. I wouldn't really know about the practicality since I'm a dude, but I'll take your word for it. It still looks silly to me... Bra worn on the outside.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ms-lola You just made it sound as if you were describing Superman's underwear being worn on the outside of the outfit. I wouldn't really know about the practicality since I'm a dude, but I'll take your word for it. It still looks silly to me... Bra worn on the outside.

Very true. I failed to say that the support I was referring to in my first post is usually found underneath clothing as well; attached but still hidden. Like a bathing suit tailored to support bigger boobs. Your point about this new BW outfit looking like a bra being worn on the outside is fair. That is how it looks like.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you talking about the design on the suit or the suit itself "fitting" her? I always got the impression the suits are tailor made for her and essentially is suppose to act as a second skin allowing her to be as flexible and acrobatic as she could without anything getting in the way nor anything of hers flopping about.

As for the the design as in the patterns it looks exactly like that a pattern. Honestly I never got the impression they were trying to show off her boobs in the movies (aside from the chair scene where she's not wearing her costume) and if anything it was her ass.

But hell maybe that's just me.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman Yeah! That's true..

@ms-lola See, I didn't even know such a garment existed. I'm sorry but it looks silly to me. Why does this hidden piece of support appears so blantly

@feartheliving The thing is not on who it's tailored for, it's how it's tailorerd to show every single appealing curve on her body. Especially the boobs.

Oh and I agree, before her boobs were not being shown off... I mean, in IM2 she was shown changing in the back of a limo. In Avengers there was this one scene when she's talking to Loki where the shot just focused on her ass. I understand that sometimes that's going to happen, but why shape the clothes to help along those "show-offs"?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sora_thekey: Well Black Widow is kind of the choice to make sexual that is kind of her job to seduce people and gain information. If Captain Marvel comes out and she is wearing something similar then I'd question it but for the character it makes sense. I mean we don't really see Sif with that sort of costume.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, the difference is so subtle I don't really notice, just be glad they didn't try to enlarge them digitally.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.