Follow

Black Widow

Character » Black Widow appears in 3722 issues.

A former KGB agent, Natasha Alianovna Romanova, better known as Natasha Romanoff or Black Widow, was trained by the top-secret Soviet brainwashing and training program, the Red Room, to become the ultimate "Super-Spy". She defected from the Soviet Union to the US to join S.H.I.E.L.D. Subsequently, Black Widow proceeded to become a member of the Avengers and has been on the team on numerous occasions. She's a woman with an enigmatic past which very few are acquainted with.

Black Widow Movie Won't Get in the Way of Avengers

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
      Wait your turn, Natalie. It's coming...
     Wait your turn, Natalie. It's coming...

“We've already started discussions with Scarlett about the idea of a solo movie and have begun putting together concepts, but "The Avengers" comes first.”

So spoke Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige at a recent press conference marking the release of IRON MAN 2 on Blu-Ray (transcribed at SHH.) As you Comic Vine maniacs likely know, Marvel has been talking about bringing Scarlett Johansson back for an entire movie about Natasha Romanova sometime down the line. Seeing as how absurdly ambitious it is to do a mega-crossover AVENGERS movie already, I’m glad that the studio isn’t putting the cart before the horse when it comes to all the subsequent spin-offs.

Ironically, talks of a BLACK WIDOW have been around for long time already - - longer than talk of this AVENGERS movie, actually. You might recall that David “Solid Snake” Hayter wrote a script a while back for a solo movie that never materialized (although he did name his daughter after the super-spy!) Out of Marvel’s heroes and heroines, I’d imagine that this character would be an easiest to make a movie for. It’d be just a step up a regular spy movie, without the copious CG and creature effects that these superhero movies usually entail. == TEASER ==

Another question is whether a superheroine movie could even work on its own. People weren’t feeling CATWOMAN or ELEKTRA, and we know how long it’s taken the WONDER WOMAN movie to take off from Paradise Island. Do you figure Natasha (or Natalie, as she’s known) would be facing an uphill battle hereor could she be the first, so to speak, to crack the code?

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS! &   UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon   here  &   here.

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Geezus, why bother with the background. It's just so slapped together. Just take a shot of Scarlett's head lights which is what any kid 12+ cares about.

ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ckal

Better not get in the way of 

Doctor Strange (live action)
    Iron Fist
    Nova (no plans for it that I've heard I just want one)
    Black Panther 

either.

ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ckal

I don't know how good a Black Widow movie would be on her own, but throw in Hawkeye and probably some S.H.I.E.L.D. too and it could probably be a cool/good movie.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Magian

Never heard of that before. I guess it could work if done right.

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mumbles

Really? this movie will follow the great elektra spin off.

SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SupremoMaximo

SO basically "Covert Ops" or "Nikita"??? 

On paper it could work if it's made Jason Bourne style.. But dudes want to see dudes blow things up and kick butt..

Remixxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Remixxx

Really??? Black Widow?  Not a bad idea all they gotta do is improve on Salt's (Angelina Joile Movie) shortcomings and they got themselves a hit.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Gylan Thomas

"Another question is whether a superheroine movie could even work on its own. People weren’t feeling CATWOMAN or ELEKTRA, and we know how long it’s taken the WONDER WOMAN movie to take off from Paradise Island. Do you figure Natasha (or Natalie, as she’s known) would be facing an uphill battle hereor could she be the first, so to speak, to crack the code?"

It's not about cracking a code or weather or not people want to see superheroines go solo.
    Catwoman was a complete travesty with no relation at all to the source material. Elektra wasn't much better. The character was completely off.

Both movies were terrible. It's a simple question of making a decent movie. These days the creators seem to have a better handle on things than when Catwoman or Elektra were made.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By shanana

I'd be sold on the idea, if  Scarlett uses Russian...

conformist21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By conformist21
    @ckal said:
    " I don't know how good a Black Widow movie would be on her own, but throw in Hawkeye and probably some S.H.I.E.L.D. too and it could probably be a cool/good movie. "
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Green ankh

CATWOMAN or ELEKTRA were judt bad films. It had nothing to do with anything else.
    ArachKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ArachKnight
    @ckal said:
    "Better not get in the way of  Doctor Strange (live action) Iron Fist Nova (no plans for it that I've heard I just want one)Black Panther   either. "

I am pacing back and forth - "please don't suck, please don't suck"  

I am nervous though because the public will see it as an Iron Man 2 Spin off. Which could put it at a disadvantage - and the powerful female super spy is nothing new to movie goers.  

THOSE other projects would NOT be as good as a well done Ms.Marvel Movie. I am so sick of Hollywood's pickle party of super hero movies.
    ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ckal
    @ArachKnight said:
    " @ckal said:
    "Better not get in the way of  Doctor Strange (live action) Iron Fist Nova (no plans for it that I've heard I just want one)Black Panther   either. "
    I am pacing back and forth - "please don't suck, please don't suck"   I am nervous though because the public will see it as an Iron Man 2 Spin off. Which could put it at a disadvantage - and the powerful female super spy is nothing new to movie goers.    THOSE other projects would NOT be as good as a well done Ms.Marvel Movie. I am so sick of Hollywood's pickle party of super hero movies. "
    I don't think it will have that against it by the time it comes out (if it actually does). By then, Avengers will have already come out, and people will mostly associate Black Widow with that movie at that point I would think. Then, if you put in Hawkeye and some S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff, it doesn't have to be a BW solo movie, or even called BW. It would be some kind of small team up movie. I think Hawkeye and BW would be really cool on screen.

Haha well why do you say that? I get what you are saying about mostly male super hero movies, but that's sort of the way it is in comics. Most of the big name or most popular/well known heroes are male. I also think that for much of the general movie going audience, a male super hero is much more easy to believe than a female superhero. I'm not saying this, but this is how I think most people feel about it. Yes, there are definitely some good female super heroes, and some deserve their own movie.
    But, I
    1) think after movies like Catwoman and Elektra,  nobody really wanted to give them another chance. But hopefully now, Marvel will usher in what a good female superhero movie is supposed to be, and that will open the door for others.  
    2) Don't forget, Marvel is just starting out their run as their own studio. They are still getting their most popular characters (that they still own the rights to) out there first. It wouldn't make sense to make a Ms. Marvel would before Captain America for example.
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jordanstine

Black Widow had one of the best and most entertaining fight scenes in Iron Man 2

I approve of this thread! 

P.S. 
    A sort of Jason Bourne type movie would be jaw dropping!    
    GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By GraveSp

How about we don't over saturate the movie market with every person getting their own movie.  

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By WW-Fan

it will be awesome! i would so go to see it! and She was the Best Part in Iron Man 2 :D
    Avatar image for bloodstonefreak
    Bloodstonefreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Bloodstonefreak

How about we have Marvel bring back Hayter and we have an AMAZING film?!?!

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By DH69

why?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#19  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I love the character of Black Widow, even though her role wasn't as needed in IM2, I still loved her in the film. And since they didn't really tell anything about her, not even stating her as Black Widow, anywhere in Iron Man, I would like to see her charecter shine a little more on the big screen, I could see it being more of a 007 type film, but still having that superhero feel to it which would be awesome! ^_^

Lustwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lustwish

Who cares if they even make it, just gonna end up like Catwoman.  Lost.

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21  Edited By ComicCrazy

People really didn't like her performance as Black Widow but I thought it was fine and did well with she had and I think a Black Widow movie would be a fine thing to do. So I would really like it to happen but hey.
    wooodude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wooodude1
    @Sha: I'd be sold if there was a strip scene
    Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

I think it would be more successful than the other super heroine movies because it'll be riding the coattails of Iron Man 2 and the Avengers. Its only smart to release a Black Widow movie after she's appeared in two fairly big movies
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By bingbangboom

I think it would work because it is an easier concept to handle plus could really flesh out the character of where she came from, hopefully they stay close to her origin. I wonder if they would even work the Winter Solider into it, maybe? Also there have been some recent action movies lead by females that have made their money back like Salt and Resident Evil: Afterlife. Before it was pretty much doomed if it had a female lead in an action movie. People enjoyed the character so we shall see but given that she doesn't have any sort of powers, that will also keep the budget down. If it is cheap to make, they will do it.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Eyz

I haven't checked a Black Widow solo comic either...so a solo movie..?...mmmh... : /

ChivalrousMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ChivalrousMike

If I was asked to make this movie I would make the Black Widow a tenth degree black belt in wing tsung martial arts, something to watch!  

WhimsyWitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WhimsyWitch

I think Black Widow is one of the few female heroines Marvel has produced that could hold her own movie. She's a stronger solo character than Catwoman and Elektra, and I actually think ScarJo did a decent job as Natasha. People kept complaining that she didn't have a Russian accent, but I guess they forgot that 90% of her film time in that movie was with her as undercover. I don't even think a Russian accent is the most important part of her character to begin with, and I've been a fan of Black Widow since I was twelve.

If they do a stand-alone movie, I have a feeling it'll probably involve Yelena Belova (Black Widow II). That's her most famous stand-alone story to date (or, that's what I think anyway). I'm not dreading this movie if it comes out. Looking forward to it, actually.

mhanson108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By mhanson108

I agree with the Bourne style, and a  Black Widow movie would blow the failed female flicks out of the water.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.