Black Widow Help

#1 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12662 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys, my sister recently saw the Avengers movie and decided she really liked Black Widow and wants to read comics she's in. Being that I'm not too knowledgable about Marvel / Marvel NOW, I was wondering if you guys would let me know what books she's currently in for Marvel NOW. Thanks viners!

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6544 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: She's in Avengers, but that's a big team, and she hasn't had much attention so far.

Avengers Assemble started as a series for people who liked the film, and has appeared in 12 of the 14 issues so far. I only started reading at #9, so I don't know exactly how big her role was in the first eight issues, but she was the main focus in #12, #13, and probably #14AU(haven't read it yet).

Secret Avengers could be a good choice as it's only three issues in, and therefore probably easy to catch up with, and seems to be perfect for a fan of the film, starring Black Widow, Hawkeye, Nick Fury Jr., Agent Coulson, Maria Hill, Hulk and Winter Soldier. I haven't read any of it, but it looks like it could be a good thing to get for a Black Widow fan.

I'm a little surprised they haven't given her a solo ongoing, seeing as all five of the other 'Movie Avengers' have their own.

#3 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12662 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Thanks a lot! Are you enjoying Avengers Assemble?

I'll tell her to check out Secret Avengers too (might read that too since Winter Soldier is in it)

#4 Posted by Eternelle (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: If you wanna read a relatively small Black Widow story that's a really good explanation of the character (some of the best writing, I'd say), you want to show her Black Widow: The Name of the Rose. It's a TPB collecting Marjorie Liu's run on the character and IMO, it's pretty much the perfect Black Widow story.

#5 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6544 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: I am. It seems to be made up of short arcs that don't really affect each other, so the stories are quite self-contained, and it's been well written and drawn so far in the issues I've got. Plus there's a crossover with Captain Marvel coming up that looks like it'll be good. If your sister doesn't read comics already, this could be a good series to start with.

I think the new Iron Patriot might be/have appearing/appeared too, so it could be a good one to read in preparation for the new Iron man film.

#6 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (12662 posts) - - Show Bio

@gadai said:

@arturocalakayvee: If you wanna read a relatively small Black Widow story that's a really good explanation of the character (some of the best writing, I'd say), you want to show her Black Widow: The Name of the Rose. It's a TPB collecting Marjorie Liu's run on the character and IMO, it's pretty much the perfect Black Widow story.

Interesting, I'm going to see if she would be into this. I appreciate it!

@arturocalakayvee:

I am. It seems to be made up of short arcs that don't really affect each other, so the stories are quite self-contained, and it's been well written and drawn so far in the issues I've got. Plus there's a crossover with Captain Marvel coming up that looks like it'll be good. If your sister doesn't read comics already, this could be a good series to start with.

I think the new Iron Patriot might be/have appearing/appeared too, so it could be a good one to read in preparation for the new Iron man film.

The small, self-contained arcs actually would probably be good for her as she doesn't really want to get into the Marvel U too much (I think). That probably works out best. Thanks a ton!

#7 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6544 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: It probably means she could just buy the arcs with Black Widow and not bother with the others, and it would still make sense. Seeing as there are other characters involved, she may end up liking more of them and get into the Marvel Universe without thinking about it. That's how it happened with me anyway.

Anyway, no problem. Hope she enjoys whatever she decides to get. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.