Why did Black Panther and Storm Brake Up ?

  • 56 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1241 posts) - - Show Bio

I no storm and black panther got a devorce. But I like to know why ? I thought they made a good couple ?

#2 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Marvel...

#3 Posted by warlock360 (28039 posts) - - Show Bio

They probably did, but you might think people like Doom destroying your possible future family's surroundings day by day may be a hint as to why... Wakanda is a very sought after nation.

#4 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Marvel doesn't want its heroes to be happy!

#5 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

Break*

...somebody had to do it.

Also, it was a bad idea from the start.

#6 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1241 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

Because Marvel...

...(Sighs)... Thanks Again Marvel you just distroyed another good thing. It really makes want to keep reading your book... (Sarcasticly)

#7 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

Because Marvel doesn't want its heroes to be happy!

Yeahhhh...

#8 Posted by The Stegman (22988 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, was the marriage really THAT good to begin with? it's like Marvel thought "oh, they're both African..of course they should be married!'' there was absolutely no chemistry.

Online
#9 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

The official reason is because Black Panther was distraught that Storm sided with the people who destroyed his country.

No one actually explained that yet so I thought I would.

#10 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

They broke up because Marvel editors/writers wanted to add some emotional drama to the AVX series. Neither characters behavior with each other made any sense.

#11 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

The idea failed and instead of trying to fix the couple they decided to throw them back in their respective corners.

#12 Posted by BlackWind (5472 posts) - - Show Bio

@Matchstick said:

Break*

...somebody had to do it.

Also, it was a bad idea from the start.

Pretty much this. Huldin thinking the two most popular black characters in Marvel needing to be together, despite Storm having stronger relations with other love interests.

#13 Edited by Vance Astro (91104 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Black Panther is one of the worst husbands in Marvel history.

Moderator
#14 Posted by Genki_Sudo (55 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

@Matchstick said:

Break*

...somebody had to do it.

Also, it was a bad idea from the start.

Pretty much this. Huldin thinking the two most popular black characters in Marvel needing to be together, despite Storm having stronger relations with other love interests.

Actually there were hints long before Hudlin came onto the scene from guys like Claremont and Priest

#15 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Because Black Panther is one of the worst husbands in Marvel history.

I don't know Vance that whooping Ororo gave him would make Pym say "Damn"

#16 Posted by Vance Astro (91104 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991 said:

@Vance Astro said:

Because Black Panther is one of the worst husbands in Marvel history.

I don't know Vance that whooping Ororo gave him would make Pym say "Damn"

Well Pym smacked Janet because you know, he's Hank Pym...Ororo broke T'Challa off because he treated her like crap. 
 
@BlackWind said:

@Matchstick said:

Break*

...somebody had to do it.

Also, it was a bad idea from the start.

Pretty much this. Huldin thinking the two most popular black characters in Marvel needing to be together, despite Storm having stronger relations with other love interests.

Those other love interests were lame. Had her marriage to Black Panther been treated correctly she'd be better off than with Forge (LMFAO @ Forge) or anyone else.
Moderator
#17 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: I was p!ssed that he got his a$$ handed to him like that and I'm one of Storm's biggest fans. What did that say about our progress as a society? What bull excuse could there be for Storm beating him in H2H combat? Lol when Storm is depowered and p!ssed off she is apparently one of Marvel's greatest fighters. The idea of having him be a "wife beater" freaked them out too much apparently.

#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91104 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991 said:

@Vance Astro: I was p!ssed that he got his a$$ handed to him like that and I'm one of Storm's biggest fans. What did that say about our progress as a society? What bull excuse could there be for Storm beating him in H2H combat? Lol when Storm is depowered and p!ssed off she is apparently one of Marvel's greatest fighters. The idea of having him be a "wife beater" freaked them out too much apparently.

The entire event is a joke, more than half the stuff that happens is nonsense. I feel like T'Challa was holding back though.
Moderator
#19 Posted by SC (12675 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther marrying Storm happened because Reginald Hudlin wanted a trophy wife for his favorite character and Marvel obliged him because they needed more sweeteners for him and all the cartoon stuff he would be doing for them. Except Marvel isn't really doing anything with him anymore so no sweeteners are needed and status quo changing around in a perfect circle over and over again is king. I'll wait for a writer who likes both characters in similar ways instead of as wish fulfillment characters before i get my hopes up high for either of two of my favorite characters.  

Moderator
#20 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Vance Astro: I was p!ssed that he got his a$$ handed to him like that and I'm one of Storm's biggest fans. What did that say about our progress as a society? What bull excuse could there be for Storm beating him in H2H combat? Lol when Storm is depowered and p!ssed off she is apparently one of Marvel's greatest fighters. The idea of having him be a "wife beater" freaked them out too much apparently.

The entire event is a joke, more than half the stuff that happens is nonsense. I feel like T'Challa was holding back though.

True, but his actions were cheap when they did not need to be. The cape pulling just made me sad. Tchalla wouldn't need to stoop to that.

#21 Edited by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually the Panther and Storm made perfect sense in that they had a deep decades old friendship where she was his closest confidant and her fear of him becoming another Magneto only held her back. It always semi-surprises me people don't know that. Well actually if all you know of them is from Hudlin you wouldn't know because he did a pretty poor job telling their story.

#22 Posted by windcaster (227 posts) - - Show Bio

@PassionFlower: So true. IMO it was too much of a culture shock for most Storm/X-Men fans. I really can't help but wonder "What If?" Priest got the green light to couple the two characters. :(

#23 Posted by moneyspider1 (113 posts) - - Show Bio

@Windcaster: Priest said one time (I think he posted his comments on his website in his section about the Black Panther comic book) that if he had been given the chance to have Storm and the Black Panther marry, that the marriage would have ultimately ended (I forgot why, though). It think its ironic that another writer was given the green light to have the characters marry, but the marriage ended up ending anyway. But it did not have to be that way. Marvel is turning the concept of marriage (and quite frankly the concept of most romantic relationships in the Marvel Universe) into something depressing.

#24 Posted by moneyspider1 (113 posts) - - Show Bio

@PassionFlower: A lot of people don't/didn't know that Storm and the Black Panther did indeed have past history (and past romantic history, at that) because they never bothered to pick up a book with the Black Panther in it.

#25 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

@windcaster: (Sorry keep answering privately when I mean to do so in public.) I disagree. I'm a Storm/X Men fan and I still am. I became interested in him by way of her. I think anyone can appreciate a story well told unfortunately their story wasn't told well too often.

#26 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

@moneyspider1 said:

@Windcaster: Priest said one time (I think he posted his comments on his website in his section about the Black Panther comic book) that if he had been given the chance to have Storm and the Black Panther marry, that the marriage would have ultimately ended (I forgot why, though). It think its ironic that another writer was given the green light to have the characters marry, but the marriage ended up ending anyway. But it did not have to be that way. Marvel is turning the concept of marriage (and quite frankly the concept of most romantic relationships in the Marvel Universe) into something depressing.

Not just Marvel all too often in pop culture they see marriage as the end rather than a beginning. I will NEVER accept Superman/Wonder Woman either btw, Lois forever.

#27 Edited by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope marvel give bp and storm some good story arcs and character development in the marvel now.

#28 Posted by jhazzroucher (15045 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they didn't discuss about the situation together.

#29 Posted by moneyspider1 (113 posts) - - Show Bio

@PassionFlower: I'd be very surprised if the romantic relationship between Superman and Wonder Woman becomes permanent. I don't think it will last long at all...a few years, if that.

#30 Edited by windcaster (227 posts) - - Show Bio

@PassionFlower: When I said "too much culture shock" I meant they should have eased into the relationship instead of just putting two characters together. I also wish most Storm/X-fans were as open minded as you. But in their defense Marvel didn't put much effort in sustaining the marriage.

#31 Edited by moneyspider1 (113 posts) - - Show Bio

That's why I think Marvel should put Storm and the Black Panther back together, but have them start dating each other first for a few years (maybe five or so, then get engaged). Also, in real life, ex-husbands and ex-wives sometimes re-marry each other, so it's not outside the realm of possibility...especially in a comic book. But this time the marriage would have to be written really well on a consistent basis, which means some of the Marvel writers would have to be open-minded about the concept of marriage in general.

#32 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1241 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Because Black Panther is one of the worst husbands in Marvel history.

Wait WHAT ? ! what do you mean Black Panther is one of the worst husbands in Marvel history ? I really need a explination please ?

#33 Posted by Vance Astro (91104 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

Wait WHAT ? ! what do you mean Black Panther is one of the worst husbands in Marvel history ? I really need a explination please ?

Storm never got back the love that she gave and when things got really rocky he divorced her with no hesitation, annulled their marriage without her even knowing then told her to get lost. He also, for no purpose of blinding rage or mindcontrol, fought Storm. Pym isn't even this bad.
Moderator
#34 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1241 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

Wait WHAT ? ! what do you mean Black Panther is one of the worst husbands in Marvel history ? I really need a explination please ?

Storm never got back the love that she gave and when things got really rocky he divorced her with no hesitation, annulled their marriage without her even knowing then told her to get lost. He also, for no purpose of blinding rage or mindcontrol, fought Storm. Pym isn't even this bad.

Wow I fill so sorry for Storm now. Man BP is a Douche. Well lets hope Storm finds a guy that will reat her right. (fingers crossed)

#35 Posted by Vance Astro (91104 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

Wow I fill so sorry for Storm now. Man BP is a Douche. Well lets hope Storm finds a guy that will reat her right. (fingers crossed)

Marvel is terrible at handling relationships, especially if it's one that will be handled by a bunch of different writers depending on what type of characters were dealing with. There was a simple way to tie their relationship, other than making them get divorced. They basically spit in Hudlin's face.
Moderator
#36 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

@windcaster: In fairness to true Storm fans you can go into any forum on any topic and find people seeking attention and looking for a fight. I think most of us are pretty cool folks.

#37 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: I don't think that's very fair. Their break up didn't match: in one book he blindsided her with the annulment and in the other she physically assaults him throws his ring in the dirt and said she was out. How do you do that and act surprised ?

#38 Posted by Vance Astro (91104 posts) - - Show Bio
@PassionFlower said:

@Vance Astro: I don't think that's very fair. Their break up didn't match: in one book he blindsided her with the annulment and in the other she physically assaults him throws his ring in the dirt and said she was out. How do you do that and act surprised ?

What's not fair?
Moderator
#39 Posted by The3rdOption (27 posts) - - Show Bio

I was pretty blah on this from the beginning, since I've never paid either character much attention, but apparently when you get married with little reason you can break up with even less reason. Sounds like woman logic to me, so I'm not sure what that says about Black Panther.

#40 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro@Vance Astro said:

@PassionFlower said:

@Vance Astro: I don't think that's very fair. Their break up didn't match: in one book he blindsided her with the annulment and in the other she physically assaults him throws his ring in the dirt and said she was out. How do you do that and act surprised ?

What's not fair?

Your solely blaming him for the breakup in the first post to Kid.

#41 Posted by Vance Astro (91104 posts) - - Show Bio
@PassionFlower said:

Your solely blaming him for the breakup in the first post to Kid.

He assaulted her before the instance where their marriage was annulled and even during that instance she was coming to help him despite previously having doubts about whether their marriage would last because of his actions.
Moderator
#42 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@PassionFlower said:

Your solely blaming him for the breakup in the first post to Kid.

He assaulted her before the instance where their marriage was annulled and even during that instance she was coming to help him despite previously having doubts about whether their marriage would last because of his actions.

Well we must agree to disagree because I do with all of that.

#43 Posted by Vance Astro (91104 posts) - - Show Bio
@PassionFlower said:

Well we must agree to disagree because I do with all of that.

I don't get how what happened to their marriage isn't his fault. If not for his actions..they'd still be married. Storm didn't do anything wrong. When she fought him recently they were already divorced.
Moderator
#44 Posted by Urliq (28 posts) - - Show Bio

This whole event was kind of stupid and their breakup felt much the same. Although at least it's not terribly surprising for them to break up given that they both have been doing their own things recently and growing apart. This seemed especially true when Black Panther took over for Daredevil in Hell's Kitchen and he barred her from helping him and then she's been with the X-Men most of the time recently. They just haven't seemed like an actual couple lately, not like when they filled in for Sue & Reed and went traveling through alternate realities/space with the FF together.

#45 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@PassionFlower said:

Well we must agree to disagree because I do with all of that.

I don't get how what happened to their marriage isn't his fault. If not for his actions..they'd still be married. Storm didn't do anything wrong. When she fought him recently they were already divorced.

How were they divorced, the fight issue in AVX Vs 5 was before AVX 9's annulment although 9 came out first.

#46 Edited by Vance Astro (91104 posts) - - Show Bio
@PassionFlower said:

How were they divorced, the fight issue in AVX Vs 5 was before AVX 9's annulment although 9 came out first.

I think I might have gotten mixed up because I didn't read the issues in order but Black Panther & Storm have an argument in AVX #2 and she suggest that they are having problems in their marriage because of his actions. In Uncanny X-Men #13, Black Panther and Storm fought and he KO'd her and she questioned whether their marriage would last.
Moderator
#47 Edited by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@PassionFlower said:

How were they divorced, the fight issue in AVX Vs 5 was before AVX 9's annulment although 9 came out first.

I think I might have gotten mixed up because I didn't read the issues in order but Black Panther & Storm have an argument in AVX #2 and she suggest that they are having problems in their marriage because of his actions. In Uncanny X-Men #13, Black Panther and Storm fought and he KO'd her and she questioned whether their marriage would last.

Ah, now I see. Uncanny 13 was a screw up on the writer's part. The fight she was alluding to in Uncanny 13 ,the only fight was AVX 5 and that was flashback that occurred prior to AVX 9's annulment. That is why a lot of people said Storm lied about the fight to Magneto saying she was knocked out when no it was just the writer's mistake. I guess that happens with different people writing connecting parts. To me him refusing to speak to her and divorcing her privately was more out of character bad writing. They had a goal and made the story fit it --no matter absurd.

#48 Posted by moneyspider1 (113 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, several writers have had T'Challa treat Storm like crap, which is extremely suspect.

#49 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Urliq said:

This whole event was kind of stupid and their breakup felt much the same. Although at least it's not terribly surprising for them to break up given that they both have been doing their own things recently and growing apart. This seemed especially true when Black Panther took over for Daredevil in Hell's Kitchen and he barred her from helping him and then she's been with the X-Men most of the time recently. They just haven't seemed like an actual couple lately, not like when they filled in for Sue & Reed and went traveling through alternate realities/space with the FF together.

#50 Posted by krspaceT (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll try and bring up a point. Black Panther and Storm are both strong willed individuals. Whose to say that they had trouble with the marriage compromise aspect. Or perhaps this is why I read DC......

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.