The Reason Some People Hate Black Panther

• 56 results
#1 Edited by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

This comment was left on Cracked.com's list of "The 6 Worst Marvel Cartoons", but first, let's look at why they put the Black Panther cartoon on the list:  "Black Panther" (2009)In 2004, Reginald Hudlin wrote the greatest, toughest, most action-packed Black Panther story of all time. This seemed nuts since his previous writing credits were the movie House Party. Five years later, the comic was adapted into a cartoon by BET and everything fell apart. Instead of animation, they made it a "motion comic" like the old '60s Marvel Superheroes show. In this style, the characters shift an arm or a leg for a few frames rather than "move." It might have still been okay with good voiceover, but every voice actor was so concerned with thickening up their fake "African" accent that they forgot to do things like "inflect" or "act." The final result was like a sleepy exchange student wiggling a comic book while they read it out loud. And I don't want to sound racist, but that's really annoying.

They barely move and they all talk like voice actors trying to passive aggressively get revenge on their agents, but other than that the characters are great!

Theme Song: The Black Panther music is awesome. Every time Black does anything, anything at all, an African choir goes crazy chanting his name. "T'Challa! T'Challa! T'Challa!" As an experiment, I named my dong T'Challa while I was watching this show, and I've been hard for almost two years.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-worst-marvel-cartoons-all-time/#ixzz1IsJOl31W

Okay, I know all that didn't transfer over, but, here is the comment:

LOL, I just watched some Black Panther....Its actually that kind of BET well meaning racism. Like how the only people/ culture from Africa that has anything to offer....is a made up one. The Wakandans talk of every other nation in Africa as savages, let alone the Europeans who they spit on. Oh, and they have a cure for cancer, but screw telling anyone outside their kingdom.

The Wakandons are jerks, lol.

1 Replies  | Hide Replies  | Reply  | Posted on 4/7/2011 1:37 PM
jamiso

LOL, and their utopian society is xenophobic isolationist hereditary Absolute monarchy, which is at times decided by wrestling matches. 

BET....more racist towards black people than the Klan

Posted on 4/7/2011 1:42 PM
jamiso

So what do you guys think? Does any of this hold any merit, or is this guy just being a whiny closet-bigot douche? He might have a point.
#2 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

#3 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12402 posts) - - Show Bio

i saw the cartoon and enjoyed it though i wish they just would have sprung for better animation, but it had one of the absolute best theme songs ever.

#4 Posted by karrob (4274 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
"

i saw the cartoon and enjoyed it though i wish they just would have sprung for better animation, but it had one of the absolute best theme songs ever.

"
Agreed

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I've honestly never heard anyone ever say they've hated the Black Panther.

I like him though. Not crazy about his Man Without Fear thing going on atm, but I like him in Avengers EMH
#6 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL, I just watched some Black Panther....Its actually that kind of BET well meaning racism. Like how the only people/ culture from Africa that has anything to offer....is a made up one. The Wakandans talk of every other nation in Africa as savages, let alone the Europeans who they spit on. Oh, and they have a cure for cancer, but screw telling anyone outside their kingdom.

The Wakandons are jerks, lol.

Reading from the comments it seems like the people just didnt pay attention to the story at all. Probably too busy occupying the Ceiling Cat while listening to Djimon Hounsou's voice.

You learn something everyday.

I'm going to go watch the Astonishing X-men dvd and see how that is offensive to physcially challenged people.  Mutants are jerks, lol

#7 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

But asking the question why didn't they get involved while the rest of Africa is being raped is an understandable one, right?

#8 Edited by JonesDeini (3619 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428: 
Hudlin's run was very heavy handed and bordered on blaxploitation...and not in  a good way, folk. I think it and the cartoon based on it (which I actually enjoyed, despite it's flaws) made people feel like T'challa was all down with the Kill Whitey movement, and that never makes white people feel comfortable lol

As far as them not ending colonialism in Africa, I think you have to keep some of the real world in your comic. 
#9 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

Since when was BP hated?

#10 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@AgeofHurricane said: 

" Since when was BP hated? "

Man, some people just go on and on about how he is a knock off of Batman (who is a knock off of the silent film "The Bat", Zorro, et cetera.) Some just hate him because they find the idea of a King of a technologically advanced African nation a little "wonky". Some hate him because they don't like him being married to Storm (I say it just hasn't been written properly). There are those who equate a black empowerment fantasy with "DOWN WITH WHITEY" rhetoric. There are those out there who do hate BP, and for various reasons. Why else would they make American Panther?    
#11 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio
@JonesDeini said:
"
Hudlin's run was very heavy handed and bordered on blaxploitation...
"
Agreed. However, I do feel as if Hudlin redeemed himself with Flags of our Fathers.

@Osiris1428 said:
" But asking the question why didn't they get involved while the rest of Africa is being raped is an understandable one, right? "
I think 'survival of the fittest' fits perfectly.
#12 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyway, after reading some of the comments left for the article, I have finally realized how racist Hudlin's run was. Not just that, but there's also the fact that Hudlin took certain aspects of T'Challa's character (as well as Wakanda's history) and changed it.

#13 Posted by daredevil21134 (10609 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther is cool
#14 Posted by JonesDeini (3619 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: 
I don't think it was racist at all. I think that many of the points about the western, white world's interaction with Africa (and any other none  white people) were true to the core. However, they weren't voiced as intelligently and eloquently as a subject so complex warrants. He overdid it with making nearly all none super hero whites devious and distrustful. The "white man is the devil" route, rarely leads to a productive dialog.  
#15 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio
@JonesDeini: Some of the storylines in the book were suspect, though. The Black Panther annual is one of them (Wakanda eventually ruled the world in that issue, IIRC, with some black power mindset thing), and the storyline with the Skrulls on another planet (who were all shapeshifted into humans) was another. The bad guys were all White, while the rebels were all Black (and led by people like MLK and Malcolm X). It's as if Hudlin was using White people are scapegoats or something. He even has the Black Panther mock Latervian architecture, basically saying that they live like Keebler Elves in their old-style Germanic homes as a comparison to himself and where he lives.  

I didn't even catch the racial undertones of all this until I went back and read certain issues again. Hudlin basically got away with way too much in this volume. LOL.
#16 Posted by JonesDeini (3619 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
" @JonesDeini: Some of the storylines in the book were suspect, though. The Black Panther annual is one of them (Wakanda eventually ruled the world in that issue, IIRC, with some black power mindset thing), and the storyline with the Skrulls on another planet (who were all shapeshifted into humans) was another. The bad guys were all White, while the rebels were all Black (and led by people like MLK and Malcolm X). It's as if Hudlin was using White people are scapegoats or something. He even has the Black Panther mock Latervian architecture, basically saying that they live like Keebler Elves in their old-style Germanic homes as a comparison to himself and where he lives.  

I didn't even catch the racial undertones of all this until I went back and read certain issues again. Hudlin basically got away with way too much in this volume. LOL.
"
LMAO True, he did do some out there stuff, like I said heavy handed where eloquence was needed. And ironic that the man who was the driving force behind the worst thing to happen to black people since slavery, BET, wrote Black Panther...
#17 Posted by Blackreverend (133 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osiris1428 said: 

There are those out there who do hate BP, and for various reasons. Why else would they make American Panther?"

Personally I'm a huge Black Panther fan. Hudlin did some changes when rewriting the character that I really don't approve of... the most important one is the removal of T'Challa's rogues! The original BP has tons of his own villains... Hudlin introduced less than five of them!
I was also extremely disappointed by the animation! Stop motion? really? How broke is BET? This is the greatest Black superhero's first solo animated series and they use stop motion? Are you stupid? How is that honoring the character?
Those are the issues I had... I was totally ok with the moral representations! Sure you might feel offended but honestly if Wakanda did exist in our world you would truly see how racist mofos can be! Hudlin wasn't racist! He was just being real!
#18 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4156 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428 said:
" But asking the question why didn't they get involved while the rest of Africa is being raped is an understandable one, right? "
Maybe the Wakandans were the ones that were selling other Africans into slavery?
#19 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:
" @Osiris1428 said:
Maybe the Wakandans were the ones that were selling other Africans into slavery? "
I really couldn't see that in the character's depiction.@JonesDeini said:
" @Static Shock said:
" @JonesDeini: Some of the storylines in the book were suspect, though. The Black Panther annual is one of them (Wakanda eventually ruled the world in that issue, IIRC, with some black power mindset thing), and the storyline with the Skrulls on another planet (who were all shapeshifted into humans) was another. The bad guys were all White, while the rebels were all Black (and led by people like MLK and Malcolm X). It's as if Hudlin was using White people are scapegoats or something. He even has the Black Panther mock Latervian architecture, basically saying that they live like Keebler Elves in their old-style Germanic homes as a comparison to himself and where he lives.  

"
LMAO True, he did do some out there stuff, like I said heavy handed where eloquence was needed. And ironic that the man who was the driving force behind the worst thing to happen to black people since slavery, BET, wrote Black Panther... "
To tell you the truth, looking at this issue #10 of Priest's Marvel Knights run on Black Panther, Hudlin wrote it and it was mostly about Luke Cage as security for a rap star who was draw to resemble Puffy. It was actually an awesome issue that kind of dealt with how some of these knuckleheads think in current hip-hop culture, and how some Afro-Americans still view Africa. I really liked the issue.
#20 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

Some people see anti-colonialism as "anti-white." The same ones who usually who feel 'anti-racist' means anti-white. When these things and themes are central to the Black Panther universe, there is no pandering to those type of people. Let them hate it. THE'RE SUPPOSE TO. That is why I am leery of this whole "American Panther" thing.

#21 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428: They want to Americanize Panther in order to give him more mass appeal. That's what I think, unfortunately....
#22 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
" @Osiris1428: They want to Americanize Panther in order to give him more mass appeal. That's what I think, unfortunately.... "
Yeah, I think it might be that. they go several different ways in this. After the current Black Panther MWF story line that's going on, Storm and Kraven the Hunter will be the main focus is what they're telling us. I haven't seen Black Panther dress like AP in those solits.
#23 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428 said:
"Yeah, I think it might be that. they go several different ways in this. After the current Black Panther MWF story line that's going on, Storm and Kraven the Hunter will be the main focus is what they're telling us. 
What do you mean? They'll get their own books or what?
#24 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

black panther motion comics series was horrible and did have a lot over racist overtones. i like the black panther in earth's mightiest heroes show and can't wait to buy black panther man without fear book. i'm still learning about the character so i can't judge  him  so quick & harsh. about the american panther thing i'll keep an open mind thing until i find out what the story is about costume changes.

#25 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Hudlin was the worst thing to happen to T'Challa, he's a perfectly solid character so long as you don't buy into that Black Supremacist crap.

#26 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
" @Osiris1428 said:
"Yeah, I think it might be that. they go several different ways in this. After the current Black Panther MWF story line that's going on, Storm and Kraven the Hunter will be the main focus is what they're telling us. 
What do you mean? They'll get their own books or what? "
He is saying that after the current arc is over there will be a new arc featuring Kraven the Hunter and Storm. Its called "Storm Hunter" and its double shipping in june
#27 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" Hudlin was the worst thing to happen to T'Challa, he's a perfectly solid character so long as you don't buy into that Black Supremacist crap. "
LOL.

@Nighthunter said:
"
He is saying that after the current arc is over there will be a new arc featuring Kraven the Hunter and Storm. Its called "Storm Hunter" and its double shipping in june "
Interesting. I wonder what the connection is between Kraven and Storm, anyway?
#28 Posted by Brotha-Man (89 posts) - - Show Bio

I was diggin this series. Agreed that BET does have countless harmful race material, but this show was a nod to BET's beginnings. When something was behind the material. Great show. Been trying to get the theme as my ringtone.
#29 Posted by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio

#30 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio

I do like the character, but his writer sucks.

Hudlin seems to have no idea what to do with the character, and he ruin all the other character and continuity along the way.

#31 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he is that bad. But, I most people who have posted here say why they don't like Hudlin, but don't go into detail as to why.

#32 Posted by MoodyKingMoron (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the American Panther idea, I think if you want to make Black Panther more marketable again, then downplay the race card. In general, I think the race card has been played with BP for far too long and it's alienated a fair share of readers. As insightful as Hudlin's message is, if it's drowned out by black supremacy, then people will simply not get it and instead focus on what offends them personally. 

#33 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to make Black Panther more international. They could have made a Black Panther & Storm series. I don't see why they don't. Storm could be the quintessential Marvel women, but why they won't do that, I don't know.

#34 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. I freaking LOVED the BET Black Panther series. I freaking loved it.

#35 Edited by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
Not quite sure what will happen to Black Panther. One day he will probably return to Wakanda.
But for the moment; I am loving his current series. 

And I'm not sure as to how them focusing on their accents means that they were being racist.
#36 Posted by Ryonslaught (1247 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg: I loved every moment  of it too. What most don't get is that the "animated series"
is simply a motion comic which landed on tv because Hudlin was working there. It wasn't animated by BET
@Osiris1428
I myself enjoyed Hudlin's run and never got any of that racist bigotry everyone else did...weird...
@Static Shock
How was it strange that Wakanda would have a cure for cancer and NOT share it with the rest of the world?
They are a self sustained none trading country for thousands of years. Everytime they have intercation with the outside world
its war and people trying to invade them! Why would I assist them? I'm not getting it!
#37 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4156 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ryonslaught said:
How was it strange that Wakanda would have a cure for cancer and NOT share it with the rest of the world? They are a self sustained none trading country for thousands of years. Everytime they have intercation with the outside world its war and people trying to invade them! Why would I assist them? I'm not getting it!
Then why does Panther leave Wakanda? If they are true isolationists he wouldn't bother with going out to fight crime anywhere and just worry about his own country. Also its completely against the character to be that callous to deprive the world the cure for a devastating disease that effects everyone no matter what race, religion, or sex. Its shoddy story telling at its best.
#38 Posted by Ryonslaught (1247 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`: Panther leaving Wakanda is "shoddy storytelling" 
I'm not understanding how withholding knowledge is "Callous" happens in the real world all the time with big countries like the US and small countries like Haiti.
#39 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Why American Panther? Is he a citizen? Unfortunately his Wakanda origin just doesn't work well. For example being in America when Africa is in dire need of heroes. The mix of tribal ways and high tech feels off for some reason. If he is an Avenger not sharing the cure for cancer thing doesn't make sense especially since the Original Capt. Marvel died of it.

#40 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ryonslaught said:

@Static Shock: How was it strange that Wakanda would have a cure for cancer and NOT share it with the rest of the world? They are a self sustained none trading country for thousands of years. Everytime they have intercation with the outside world its war and people trying to invade them! Why would I assist them? I'm not getting it!

Well, you see, that's the thing. Wakanda was never THAT xenophobic until Black Panther was written by Hudlin. Before him, Wakanda's xenophobia was reduced to a minimum as soon as T'Challa became the king. Hudlin changed all that. I think Geoff Johns got away with it also in Avengers: Red Zone.

Before Hudlin, Wakanda didn't even have a cure for cancer. LOL.

#41 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress: T'Challa isn't the American Panther.

#42 Posted by Ryonslaught (1247 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: Can't argue with ya there :)
#43 Posted by The Stegman (22751 posts) - - Show Bio

i just find him boring...

#44 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@gravitypress said:
Why American Panther? Is he a citizen? Unfortunately his Wakanda origin just doesn't work well. For example being in America when Africa is in dire need of heroes. The mix of tribal ways and high tech feels off for some reason. If he is an Avenger not sharing the cure for cancer thing doesn't make sense especially since the Original Capt. Marvel died of it.
They could make him international. If they made a team with Blue Marvel, Monica Rambeau, Gentle, Storm, Black Panther, Wonder Man, etcetera, but because of the "rule of three", and there are a sizable amount of comic readers who would look at that as "reverse racism" and "trying to shove black characters down our throats," and it might not sale. I'd buy it. Look how many fanboys were upset at the mere thought that John Stewart was going to be the main character in the whack @ss Green Lantern movie. If there were to do a comic like that and make it international, have it based in Wakanda like some kind of Justice League of Wakanda/International. And make Wakanda less isolationist. And, of course, bring back the Vibranium.
#45 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

I do agree an Avengers International title would be great. Especially if they used foreign heroes only or maybe one from the US. I like Panther I just feel his showing up in the US is mighty weird. If American Panther is not T'Challa I can dig it even though clone characters aren't my favorites. I posted this in the Avengers forum its an Idea for an Avengers International roster.

http://www.comicvine.com/avengers/65-3806/avengers-international-idea/92-625528/#3

As SC said Blue Marvel would make a good team member as would a number of Asian heroes.

#46 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
Because the Hate-Monger's gonna hate. 
#47 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm used CEREBRO in the cartoon.  

Storm using cerebro = me OVER IT.  

It should've been done like like the Avengers movies

And I honestly feel that Reginald Hudlin should return to Black Panther..........something I never thought I would say..........I dislike so much of what he does, but at least he does it (If you need me to elaborate, I WILL). 

#48 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@White Mage said:
Storm used CEREBRO in the cartoon.    Storm using cerebro = me OVER IT.    It should've been done like like the Avengers movies  And I honestly feel that Reginald Hudlin should return to Black Panther..........something I never thought I would say..........I dislike so much of what he does, but at least he does it (If you need me to elaborate, I WILL). 
Elaborate, if you will...
#49 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428 said:
@White Mage said:
Storm used CEREBRO in the cartoon.    Storm using cerebro = me OVER IT.    It should've been done like like the Avengers movies  And I honestly feel that Reginald Hudlin should return to Black Panther..........something I never thought I would say..........I dislike so much of what he does, but at least he does it (If you need me to elaborate, I WILL). 
Elaborate, if you will...
I feel that Hudlin, towards the middle-end especially, was able to get Black Panther and Storm attention and screen time that they really DO NOT get anywhere else.  He also made me believe that Storm could successfully become one of the Real Housewives of Atlanta, WHILE being a Queen of Wakanda.  The only times where she didn't really have a spine were with her husband.  Not other characters.  She was always vocal.  Don't get me wrong, there were certain portrayals of these characters that just pissed me off, but he randomly showed me that he was capable of being serious when necessary. 
#50 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

i actually like the cartoon series, especially that we get to see the x-men too. and the last part of the series was exciting.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.