How do you pronounce his name?!

#1 Posted by spider2dfly (230 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it T'Kal-La (with a silent "H") or is it as the way the spelling goes T'Cha-La?

#2 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

i have always pronouced it t' cha  la

#3 Posted by geometry (1243 posts) - - Show Bio
castleking said:
"i have always pronouced it t' cha  la
"
Castleking is right. Now on to a more difficult name. Someone please tell me hoe to pronounce this name. Nezhno?! I just call him gentle, but it would be nice to actually know how to proince his birth name. Someone respond ASAP. 
#4 Posted by spider2dfly (230 posts) - - Show Bio
geometry said:
"castleking said:
"i have always pronouced it t' cha  la
"
Castleking is right. Now on to a more difficult name. Someone please tell me hoe to pronounce this name. Nezhno?! I just call him gentle, but it would be nice to actually know how to proince his birth name. Someone respond ASAP. 
"

Hey, this forum is for Black Panther. I you want to ask how to pronounce Gentle's name, go make a forum in Gentle's page ask there how to pronounce his name. Geez, I hate people who speak their mind away from the issue..
#5 Posted by geometry (1243 posts) - - Show Bio
spider2dfly said:
"geometry said:
"castleking said:
"i have always pronouced it t' cha  la
"
Castleking is right. Now on to a more difficult name. Someone please tell me hoe to pronounce this name. Nezhno?! I just call him gentle, but it would be nice to actually know how to proince his birth name. Someone respond ASAP. 
"

Hey, this forum is for Black Panther. I you want to ask how to pronounce Gentle's name, go make a forum in Gentle's page ask there how to pronounce his name. Geez, I hate people who speak their mind away from the issue.."
Now that you know how to pronounce, T'Challa. Its on to Gentle. Tell me NOW!
#6 Posted by spider2dfly (230 posts) - - Show Bio
geometry said:
"spider2dfly said:
"geometry said:
"castleking said:
"i have always pronouced it t' cha  la
"
Castleking is right. Now on to a more difficult name. Someone please tell me hoe to pronounce this name. Nezhno?! I just call him gentle, but it would be nice to actually know how to proince his birth name. Someone respond ASAP. 
"

Hey, this forum is for Black Panther. I you want to ask how to pronounce Gentle's name, go make a forum in Gentle's page ask there how to pronounce his name. Geez, I hate people who speak their mind away from the issue.."
Now that you know how to pronounce, T'Challa. Its on to Gentle. Tell me NOW!
"

I still don't know, a 2nd opinion would be nice. How should I know how to pronounce Gentle's name, I don't even know that mutant..
#7 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

watch the avengers the movie part 2 it has t' challa in it so they say his name alot.

#8 Posted by geometry (1243 posts) - - Show Bio

It's T'Challa. Like you were saying your going to church. Followed by the Muslim god Allah. Or however you spell it. T-(going to)- Ch- (church)- alla- (Allah)
T-Ch-alla. That's how it's pronounced. Next issue.

#9 Posted by spider2dfly (230 posts) - - Show Bio

geometry said:

"It's T'Challa. Like you were saying your going to church. Followed by the Muslim god Allah. Or however you spell it. T-(going to)- Ch- (church)- alla- (Allah)
T-Ch-alla. That's how it's pronounced. Next issue."


Why do you desperately want to know Gentle's name? I mean seriously, its just a name..

#10 Posted by geometry (1243 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do you wanna know T'Challa's name? Since we're in the asking mood.

#11 Posted by spider2dfly (230 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause the spelling was "weird"

#12 Posted by geometry (1243 posts) - - Show Bio

And Nezhno, isn't? "Weird" that is.

#13 Posted by spider2dfly (230 posts) - - Show Bio

Well its "weirder", that what I'm saying..

#14 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

I always say 'Tuhtsjalla'

Can't write it out any better of how i pronounce it :p

#15 Posted by geometry (1243 posts) - - Show Bio
Precise said:
"I always say 'Tuhtsjalla'

Can't write it out any better of how i pronounce it :p
"

Why would you say it like that?! That's odd. spider2dfly said:
"Well its "weirder", that what I'm saying.."
"Weirder" is a matter of perspective.
#16 Posted by spider2dfly (230 posts) - - Show Bio
geometry said:
"Precise said:
"I always say 'Tuhtsjalla'

Can't write it out any better of how i pronounce it :p
"

Why would you say it like that?! That's odd. spider2dfly said:
"Well its "weirder", that what I'm saying.."
"Weirder" is a matter of perspective.
"
Yeah, for me, T'Challa is a more weirder name that Nezhno. But I think that for you, Nezhno is more weirder that T'Challa..
#17 Posted by geometry (1243 posts) - - Show Bio

that's fair!

#18 Posted by King_Of_Wakanda (21 posts) - - Show Bio
castleking said:
"i have always pronouced it t' cha  la"

That would be correct.
#19 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

I pronounce it as T-Ch-alla. Some people say that the T at the beginning is supposed to be silent, due to African vernacular. Babs pronounces it without the T.

#20 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I say Tuh-Cha-Luh

Moderator
#21 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was a kid for some reason I always called Rogue... "Rah-goo".   

I just always thought that "gue" was goo.

I'm so glad I shared that! 

Staff
#22 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
Red L.A.M.P. said:
"When I was a kid for some reason I always called Rogue... "Rah-goo".    I just always thought that "gue" was goo. I'm so glad I shared that!  "
hahahaha!

and you thought Ro = Rah?
Moderator
#23 Posted by The Man of Yesteryear (5502 posts) - - Show Bio

T'Challa.

#24 Edited by Omega-level Supreme (1159 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really sure, but I think this was a topic for another thread. Anyway, after watching the second Marvel Comic's Ultimate Avengers movie, I'd have to conclude his name is pronounced something like Tuh-cha-la. As for the historical references Static pointed out, T'Challa's father -- T'Chaka -- apparently owe his given name to an colonial era Zulu Chief. Here in the states (and presumably in South Africa) his name is pronounced with a silent T, now if it's okay to apply that same grammar to his son who has a similarly spelled name (T'Challa with a silent T) than I surmise the pronounciation that Babs uses is more or less correct. I alternate how I pronounce it under special circumstances. Either Tuh-cha-la or Cha-la. To get the right consonant for the name you would have to imitate an African accent, otherwise T'Challa (with a silent T) would sound like the name of some cute plush doll.

And we won't have none of that!

#25 Posted by Attrition (319 posts) - - Show Bio

How do you say Namor.
Is it Nay-more
or Nah-more
or Nuh-more
??????????????????

#26 Posted by lordraiden (7116 posts) - - Show Bio

Watch the animated Ultimate Avengers 2, you'll even learn how to say his dad's name ;-)

#27 Edited by BlackPanther (511 posts) - - Show Bio
Static Shock said:
"I pronounce it as T-Ch-alla. Some people say that the T at the beginning is supposed to be silent, due to African vernacular. Babs pronounces it without the T."
African vernacular?... are you joking? please don't categorise us like that, we don't all speak the same language in Africa you know. Depending on where you go in Africa and what language they speak in that specific area the T maybe pronounced differently or kept silent..

Omega-level Supreme said:
"Not really sure, but I think this was a topic for another thread. Anyway, after watching the second Marvel Comic's Ultimate Avengers movie, I'd have to conclude his name is pronounced something like Tuh-cha-la. As for the historical references Static pointed out, T'Challa's father -- T'Chaka -- apparently owe his given name to an colonial era Zulu Chief. Here in the states (and presumably in South Africa) his name is pronounced with a silent T, now if it's okay to apply that same grammar to his son who has a similarly spelled name (T'Challa with a silent T) than I surmise the pronounciation that Babs uses is more or less correct. I alternate how I pronounce it under special circumstances. Either Tuh-cha-la or Cha-la. To get the right consonant for the name you would have to imitate an African accent, otherwise T'Challa (with a silent T) would sound like the name of some cute plush doll. And we won't have none of that!"
I have no real issue with what you said, but you do categorise Africa as if it is one country because you said "To get the right consonant for the name you would have to imitate an African accent". To be honest most countries don't have a single accent and Africa is a continent (emphasis on the word). So like a continent it has many dialects and languages which vary greatly as you travel from region to region. For example Swahili in Uganda (where I'm from) is different from Swahili in Kenya. Even though the languages are pretty much the same certain words are pronounced differently and there are words that's meaning varies between countries. Its not only you, but many people seem to look at Africa as a country and nobody understands that wherever you go in Africa things vary between the people, culture, language, accent, fashion, food, dialect and political/religious views. Anyway my point is that we don't have a single accent in Africa and it just annoys me when people assume we do.

By the way according to the UA2, T'Challa is pronounced tuh-challa (or however you wanna spell the sound)

Anyway stay blessed

Peace
#28 Posted by Lord's Angel (1093 posts) - - Show Bio
Attrition said:
"How do you say Namor.Is it Nay-moreor Nah-moreor Nuh-more??????????????????"
Sub MARiner ......submerener?
#29 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"I say Tuh-Cha-Luh"
Thats how I say it.
#30 Edited by Omega-level Supreme (1159 posts) - - Show Bio
BlackPanther said:
"Omega-level Supreme said:
"Not really sure, but I think this was a topic for another thread. Anyway, after watching the second Marvel Comic's Ultimate Avengers movie, I'd have to conclude his name is pronounced something like Tuh-cha-la. As for the historical references Static pointed out, T'Challa's father -- T'Chaka -- apparently owe his given name to an colonial era Zulu Chief. Here in the states (and presumably in South Africa) his name is pronounced with a silent T, now if it's okay to apply that same grammar to his son who has a similarly spelled name (T'Challa with a silent T) than I surmise the pronounciation that Babs uses is more or less correct. I alternate how I pronounce it under special circumstances. Either Tuh-cha-la or Cha-la. To get the right consonant for the name you would have to imitate an African accent, otherwise T'Challa (with a silent T) would sound like the name of some cute plush doll. And we won't have none of that!"
I have no real issue with what you said, but you do categorise Africa as if it is one country because you said "To get the right consonant for the name you would have to imitate an African accent". To be honest most countries don't have a single accent and Africa is a continent (emphasis on the word). So like a continent it has many dialects and languages which vary greatly as you travel from region to region. For example Swahili in Uganda (where I'm from) is different from Swahili in Kenya. Even though the languages are pretty much the same certain words are pronounced differently and there are words that's meaning varies between countries. Its not only you, but many people seem to look at Africa as a country and nobody understands that wherever you go in Africa things vary between the people, culture, language, accent, fashion, food, dialect and political/religious views. Anyway my point is that we don't have a single accent in Africa and it just annoys me when people assume we do. By the way according to the UA2, T'Challa is pronounced tuh-challa (or however you wanna spell the sound)Anyway stay blessedPeace"
This is all very true. Personally I try to stay as informed on African cultures, history, politics, economy, religions and especially biodiversity as I can. I think I'm pretty informed for a self-educated American. However I got a little lazy with my discription and thought It would be ok for me to state some generalities. So I apologize.

What I meant to say was you would probably have to imitate a Zulu consonant in order to pronounce the name correctly. T'chaka sounds like Shaka when spoken out loud IRL, but you have to put your deep-man-voice on to say it right.

Well as you pointed out the possible origin of the name has no bearings on the pronounciation, but take a look at the vids anyway.

  
Fast foward to 3:16 to hear the pronounciation.




  


Here's a clip that show's why he was a beast! I love this movie!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.