How Can Black Panther be the New Man Without Fear?

• 80 results
Posted by No_name_here (1225 posts) - - Show Bio
 What about... Superman's Pal, Black Panther?

So maybe you heard about DAREDEVIL: THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR getting re-titled BLACK PANTHER: THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR after issue #512. I never figured “man without fear” was a title that could passed around like the other ones floating around the Marvel Universe. It’s not as… concrete as, say, Sorcerer Supreme, Master of Kung-Fu, Spirit of Vengeance or Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Then again, hasn’t Hal Jordan been called “the man without fear” at various points of his career? I suppose that’s appropriate, as the implications of BP taking over DD’s mantle curries some talk about hope and fear that’s riffing on the same standard as all the emotional spectrum stuff going on GL, right now.

This arc’s making T’Challa the new defender of Hell’s Kitchen and its taking all the advantages he gets from Wakanda royalty away from him. Obviously, it’s putting him back in touch with that period when he was operating in Harlem with a school teacher secret identity. But there is the lingering question of whether the Panther can accurately be described as a man without a fear. The definitive quote from Frank Miller’s DAREDEVIL run came when the Kingpin decided to ruin DD’s life, declaring that “a man without a fear is a man without hope."  He meant that only somebody who has nothing to lose can truly be described as fearless. T’Challa’s going to be out of his element, sure, but won’t he still have a lot to worry about, like Storm’s safety and the general welfare of Wakanda? == TEASER ==

I suppose this might also be an opportunity to discuss what other titles and nicknames could change owners like this one did? Is there a character who’s a better “sentinel of liberty” than Captain America is? Who’s Marvel’s real first family now? If the X-Men are too normal these days, then who are today’s strangest super-heroes of all? Discuss freely, Comic Vine community!

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon  here  &   here   .

#1 Edited by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe it's just to denote his taking over for Daredevil? 
not about him being actually "without fear" or becoming Daredevil-like in style or abilities
I'd wager to be the defender of Hell's Kitchen, you'd have to be fearless, so maybe that's it

#2 Posted by Jake Fury (18670 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmmmmm...I was going to ditch this book after Shadowland but it may prove interesting. I'm sure Storm and Shuri can handle Wakandan affairs.  

Could we see BP going up against some of DD's classic rogues like Kingpin, Bullseye, etc?
#3 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Boy, this is what happens when you don't go to the comic shops, Aron... 

Why is Black Panther in Hell's kitchen to begin with?
#4 Posted by IrishX (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure it's a temporary thing. We all know that there is really only one "Man Without Fear". Of the choices they were showing us I think they could have done a lot worse than Black Panther.

Hopefully this won't last long.

#5 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that all titles and nicknames can be passed down to other owners. As for BP, it sounds interesting.

#6 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aronmorales:
well, he's no longer Black Panther, really 
you knew that part, right? 
he's left Wakanda in the hands of the new BP for the time being
#7 Posted by Dark Noldor (547 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: for now Bullseye is dead :) I think T´challa always have tried to stay neutral in American´s affairs (you see it in Civil War) and it´s kind of strange how Marvel though this would be a nice story; it´s not compelling to me. I don´t find it amusing at all.
#8 Posted by Jake Fury (18670 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aronmorales:
I go weekly and have no idea why this is happening.
#9 Posted by ironshadow (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

The guys at Marvel are on crack that's how, it should be Black Tarantula Man without fear or Luke Cage Man without fear or Iron Fist Man without fear or Shang-Chi Man without fear or Elektra (Woman without fear) or maybe even Echo that takes over the book. 
A new Black Panther book is good but they should make it a #1 and just call it Black Panther  
#10 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

it won't last.  Daredevil fans want to read Daredevil, not Black Panther.
#11 Posted by Duncan (11445 posts) - - Show Bio

If Matt is going to do the same thing as Steve Rogers after his return I'm going to explode.

#12 Posted by Hamz (342 posts) - - Show Bio

What is going on with Marvel lately? Jesus.

#13 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury:  
So I'm not the only one then, makes me feel better.

@Shadowdoggy:

I think I remember that much...
#14 Posted by the referee (2533 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aronmorales said:
" Boy, this is what happens when you don't go to the comic shops, Aron...  Why is Black Panther in Hell's kitchen to begin with? "
I"m with Aronmoarales, Haven't collected years so I am out of date. since surfing the vine I learned much about Shadow wars  but not enough
#15 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aronmorales:
ok good, because I haven't been reading Shadowland, so I'm lost after that point
#16 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@ironshadow said:
"

The guys at Marvel are on crack that's how, it should be Black Tarantula Man without fear or Luke Cage Man without fear or Iron Fist Man without fear or Shang-Chi Man without fear or Elektra (Woman without fear) or maybe even Echo that takes over the book. A new Black Panther book is good but they should make it a #1 and just call it Black Panther   "
I agree. Black Tarantula wouldn't be completely alienating. Luke Cage, Iron Fist not so much. Shang-Chi, Elektra and Echo were also good choices.
#17 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

So it seems that everyone here is lost then? 
Great.
#18 Posted by nyx (114 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how BP=Man W/O Fear.  How much sense does it make having an African king with his own alias and people to protect up and saunter around NYC?  Is Shuri really doing that much more for the title than he was?

#19 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

no. bp is lame

#20 Edited by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mumbles:
says you! 
there's nothing lame about him 
to me, any way
#21 Posted by FalcomAdol (116 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have a problem with it, but I pretty much restrict my Marvel reading to volumes of Essentials so this makes perfect sense to me :) 

They used to be very similar characters, as pointed out by our esteemed news associate.

#22 Posted by Chaos Burn (1784 posts) - - Show Bio

why does the ruler of Wakanda care about a small area of New York

#23 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it could be very interesting story  i can't wait to read it maybe i'll actually like bp i get tired of reading the repetivite stories  with the same character maybe going in a new direction is a good chance for bp but on the other hand haters are going to hate anything new look at venom for example  he change he's  seeking redemption as anti-venom where was the outrage when they change venom right? they change batman all time  no one has a problem with it because batman is so badass but, when they change a b-list character everyone hates them . what does anyone think i the new dante from DMC? he looks very different but i'm still going to buy it because i'm a big dmc fan  
#24 Posted by Dr. Detfink (460 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Marvel had to find something for T'Challa after the events of Doom War in which Wakanda lost all its vibranium and plunged the country into poverty. Arguably the most pretentious line in the comics was T'Challa's sister supporting her brother's decision, "No, he set us free..." Ugh. 

This is a tired retread of an older, better written Black Panther story. Remember when Marvel Knights launched, Black Panther title written by Priest did the whole Black Panther in NYC (technically New lots, Brooklyn). While I'll admit I enjoyed Black Panther's marriage to Storm and other components past and present, this angle seems forced. It's like, well we have to fill in some issues...

Perhaps the biggest crime is how the hand off from Bendis, to Brubaker to Diggle will be broken.

#25 Posted by theiconic (924 posts) - - Show Bio

its not T'challas fault ....The Black Panther is awesome,its the marvel disney editors ....."how do you destroy an editor without fear........dont buy his chit...he'll eventually be removed

#26 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13190 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mumbles said:
"no. bp is lame"

comment is EPIC FAIL 

Black Panther is sweet
#27 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13190 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Burn
said:

"why does the ruler of Wakanda care about a small area of New York "

@Chaos Burn:   hes not the ruler of wakanda anymore Dr. Doom overthrew him
#28 Posted by HannibalKing (50 posts) - - Show Bio

the real question is, if they had a Batman/Black Panther cross over, would Black Panther be immune to Scarecrow's fear gas like Daredevil was shown to be?

#29 Posted by Krakoa (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel's agenda to drag a black king into a ghetto. lol. jk, or am I? 

If Black Panther can be the man without fear, can I call Wolverine "Webhead" ?

#30 Posted by hellfiregod529 (43 posts) - - Show Bio

You want to know why black panther doesn't have his own solo book? No one buys black panther comics.

#31 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

This reminds me of the "how is blade an X-men" conversations from months ago. 

#32 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

im not crazy over this idea....to me Daredevil will always be known as the "Man Without Fear"

#33 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio

When he was a member of the Avengers he was in NY alot so that's where they could make the connection. In one of the early issues of his last series he was in NY also. Or this could be a way for him to repay the heroes for helping him during Doomwar. I see it working, urban jungle situation seems exciting with him. They aren't that far removed, if anything Black Panther is even more savage and fearless than DD.

#34 Posted by GraphicCasualFreak (221 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting... No idea how this can happen.  But hey, I LOVE Black Panther, so YAY! I guess... :)

#35 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems odd.

#36 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh crap, if T'challa's getting his own book, I want in. 
Anyway, I'm with a few people here who are saying that the title simply denotes Black Panther taking over Daredevil's post in Hell's Kitchen, not that he is literally "without fear".  It's kinda like a team denomination rather than a formal title; if you're on the Avengers, then you're an Avenger.  Here, if you're the guardian of Hell's Kitchen, then you are a "Man Without Fear". 
Okay... that probably sounds really stupid, but whatever!  Still gonna want to read this series.

#37 Posted by Postacrat (496 posts) - - Show Bio

I like BP and I'm sure this is not permanent.  and if it is fine by me, I wouldn't mind murdock moving on to bigger and better things like steve rogers.  I mean how are these characters ever going to develop any further if marvel keeps them on the same plot elements.  I mean if some of you had your way marvel would never change anything  ever.  I mean they are drawn but look at them like real people in a sense, real people get promoted they move up or they move down or around, people get tired of things, people change why can't this happen is comics?
#38 Posted by Aquamariner (203 posts) - - Show Bio

...Batman much?

#39 Posted by Mutant God (3022 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is T'Challa still being called Black Panther?
#40 Posted by frijolie (89 posts) - - Show Bio

This makes a perfect dropping off point for me

#41 Posted by ViciousCesar! (2310 posts) - - Show Bio
FALE.
#42 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4806 posts) - - Show Bio

its a interesting idea and i like calling BP man without fear

#43 Posted by ninjadude853 (270 posts) - - Show Bio

strangest super heroes of all?

thunderbolts

#44 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess that marvel is having T'Challa take over daredevil's place after stripping him of his title as king and all his gadgets is an effort to make him more interesting, which will make him more readable, which will give marvel more money.  Maybe it will work, but to me T'Challa's character never held my interest.

#45 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Tom, you make a great point but superhero titles rarely think on this level. Sad but true.

Who does not have anything to lose, though? Maybe Kraven from the choices they had.

#46 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a big fan of BP but this just reeks of suck.  Seems like they are out of ideas and just decided to jumble up some old ones.

#47 Posted by SuperXAsh (510 posts) - - Show Bio

So... BP's going to stop handling Wakandan affairs to take over for Daredevil in Hell's Kitchen??? WHY?!?! 

It sounds interesting, yet... odd.... at the same time. He's done it before... but that was BEFORE he took such a huge role in Wakanda's daily affairs, thwarting all the attempts to invade, and marrying Storm. 

Has Wakanda suddenly become a lower priority for him?? Has he been cast out?? Has he abdicated the throne??? Does he need to prove himself as the Panther once again??? Is this all dealing with the fallout of the war with Dr. Doom??

#48 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

" BLACK PANTHER : THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR"
Really?!
I mean...
Wouldn't it be better for BP to stay in Wakanda, I mean rule HIS OWN country!? What does Hell Kitchen mean to him? Is it mroe important than his wife and own country?! How can he be without fear?! I'm sure if skrulls came back and killed his sister and captured Storm he would experience fear...
And shouldn't the new "MAN WITHOUT FEAR" be a DD-related hero? Like Luke Cage & Iron Fist? Even Elektra!

#49 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13190 posts) - - Show Bio

@ViciousCesar!
said:

"FALE. "

@ViciousCesar!:  yes.... your grammar is Epic Fail

#50 Edited by ViciousCesar! (2310 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

"
@ViciousCesar!
said:

"FALE. "

@ViciousCesar!:  yes.... your grammar is an Epic Fail    "

i know bro, totally. 

or is it? 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.