Check These Black Panther Cartoon Screenshots

Posted by No_name_here (330 posts) - - Show Bio

The Panther casts a menacing shadow.

Bleeding Cool’s got screenshots of an extended music video-style preview for the BET BLACK PANTHER cartoon show that’s available for download on iTunes at this very moment (although only to North Americans.) I’m pretty impressed to see that the key frames are taken directly from JRJR’s art in the comics. Seems like they’re going for a step above the usual motion comics style that’s been a Marvel tradition going back to the 60s cartoons. Romita's style definitely lends itself to animation, anyway - - as I’m sure anybody who’s seen the KICK-ASS movie and appreciated its dreamy, comics-style flashback sequences will agree.

Although, if there’s any comics artist who could actually do animation by himself, it’s JRJR. The guy’s a machine when it comes to workflow.
 == TEASER ==
I’m also surprised to see that this series features appearances from quite a broad swath of Marvel characters in addition to BP’s usual rogues gallery. So you’ve Bushwacker and Klaw, sure, but also Captain America (in his World War II-era garb), Storm, Cyclops, Black Knight and even the Juggernaut. I have no idea how this jibes with Fox’s current holding of X-MEN movie license and that WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN 'toon, but who needs to worry about that? It’s looking like we’re going to get to enjoy the kind of shared universe that all those mid-90’s toons in the MARVEL ACTION HOUR had.

Anyway, here are some of the screenshots Bleeding Cool's got...

I’m not sure when this series is finally to hit on BET ( although apparently it’s been airing in Australia?) but I’m definitely excited to see how Djimon Hounsou handles voicing T’Challa. He’s one of my favorite actors. Talk about a guy whose got the kind of big intensity you need for a proper comics-based project.

Anyway, what do you Comic Vine maniacs think about these? Do you want this show to find a home where you are and right now? Or do they leave you unimpressed?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

#1 Posted by cmaprice (817 posts) - - Show Bio

Juggernaut FTW

#2 Posted by Knox (468 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen the show and it is awesome

#3 Posted by conformist21 (411 posts) - - Show Bio

it looks like it could be a great show.

#4 Posted by wookie424 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

This show makes the Juggernaut look like a bitch and the x-men look like the Great Lake Avengers. Besides that the show is okay.

#5 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

i saw this show already, thought it was already out in america.

#6 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2662 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyvideo footage yet?
I heard it was a lot like the first marvel cartoons.
Massively off putting for me.

#7 Posted by Namor1987 (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks sweet want to see it on Adult Swim

#8 Posted by NexusOfLight (1712 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't know about this. Better hit BET soon. This is gonna be so tight.

#9 Posted by ironshadow (1455 posts) - - Show Bio

Djimon Hounsou should play Black Panther in the movie, c'mon Hollywood quit screwing around and make it happen.  

#10 Posted by CaptainUseless (728 posts) - - Show Bio

This show'll be amazing!

#11 Posted by Kid_Zombie (822 posts) - - Show Bio
@ironshadow said:
"  Djimon Hounsou should play Black Panther in the movie, c'mon Hollywood quit screwing around and make it happen.   "
Yup he should.

I'm not very excited about this, i hate JRJR's art work with a passion. ha ha
#12 Posted by danhimself (22714 posts) - - Show Bio

isn't this just a glorified motion comic?

#13 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

They look a little stiff, I would have the see these stills animated.  But I heard that they are going beyond a motion comic.  They are supposed to be animating much more, just basing it off of the comic panels.  Can't wait, I have been waiting for years it seems.

#14 Posted by goldenkey (2920 posts) - - Show Bio

it's a lot like The Maxx was.  Animated artwork and a few add ons here and there.  Google it
#15 Posted by Real213 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I have seen the whole season and it is awesome!! I just don't understand why it was played in Australia over 5 months ago while the U.S. has yet to even have a premiere date! 

#16 Posted by Justize (328 posts) - - Show Bio
@Real213: where? i've been trying to look for it
#17 Edited by MetatronDaDon (97 posts) - - Show Bio

BET yuk;,  
this stuff is cheap, does not do Black Panther justice

look at 1990s cartoons like Batman TAS and Spider-Man for inspiration, a good Black Panther series can be done

#18 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

That song is awesome as hell. 
#19 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny the guy I want to play Black Panther in a live movie is providing the voice for Black Panther. Hopefully, this is the first step to possibly get him to play Black Panther.
#20 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3800 posts) - - Show Bio

wow, looks awesome!!!!
#21 Posted by Darkchild (41456 posts) - - Show Bio

Cant wait

#22 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darkchild said:
"Cant wait "

And where have YOU been my favorite little Mexican who no longer has to share a pedastal with Eternal Chaos? 
#23 Posted by longbowhunter (7717 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw this several months back and was really let down. I'm not a fan of motion comics. I was expecting something more in the vein of HBO's Spawn series.
#24 Posted by crazed_h3ro (995 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America getting his butt handed to him FTW

#25 Posted by biggkeem89 (1400 posts) - - Show Bio

This might make me break my 5 year BET boycott..

#26 Posted by shawn87 (2082 posts) - - Show Bio

ive been wondering when this was gonna come out

#27 Posted by mightiness (291 posts) - - Show Bio

This would be great but it looks like it is based on BET 's own Hudlin scripts. Boo! No my favorite version of this great character.

#28 Posted by Jotham (4512 posts) - - Show Bio

Geez, does any Marvel character not make an appearance in this show? This might give me a reason to watch BET.

#29 Posted by blueninjapanther (672 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks AWESOME!!!!!
#30 Posted by Bossjugg (146 posts) - - Show Bio

JUGGY!!!!!!

#31 Posted by CaptainGenisVell (313 posts) - - Show Bio

After seeing this article was intrigued and watched the series in one sitting; not a bad little mini-series (only 6 episodes).
The animation is ok, nothing spectacular but it is fun to see JRJR's drawings come to life.
The only thing which annoys me is that it seems some of the characters faces change and I don't just mean in from old age

#32 Posted by greeneagle (172 posts) - - Show Bio

Please could someone post a link to a place where i can watch it? Searched for it on iTunes but only found the theme song

#33 Posted by ecm1285 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

looks alright...but i'd have to see a full episode to get a real opinion

#34 Posted by ComicCrazy (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

I have already watched the whole season. It's only six episodes. It aired in Australia last year. FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#35 Posted by bingbangboom (735 posts) - - Show Bio

I have seen a few episodes and I thought it was very entertaining and engaging. Stan Lee does one of his best voice works in the first episode and it was awesome. Story is very solid and just entertaining to watch and has a "mature" nature to it. Its not just a superhero cartoon, goes deeper than that. Animation style is better than I had thought it would be but really captures the comic book.

#36 Posted by Stormultt (5227 posts) - - Show Bio

Pile of sh1t.
#37 Posted by SwordFanatic (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good to me.

#38 Posted by greeneagle (172 posts) - - Show Bio

watched all episodes last night, going to do so again today

#39 Posted by mistrx75 (203 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a Black Panther cartoon?  Huh.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.