Change black panther

• 74 results
#1 Posted by porpus (22 posts) - - Show Bio

to make black panther more relatable and have better sales they need to get rid of the whole wakanda thing and just have him be some guy,like the way daredevil is just some guy,T'challa dousn't work
#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio

So..should Superman be from Earth now? Should Wonder Woman be from a regular country instead of some mythical island?  

It's comic books. Not everybody is an "every man". 

#3 Edited by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

Being from wakanda is what makes him Black Panther, without it he's nothing. Making him an "every man" is liking making it so that Wonder Woman was really born in New York and isn't from Paradise Island, it doesn't work and would be downright insulting to the character and his history.

#4 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio
@ CrimsonAvenger i agree.besides that would make too much like spiderman and spiderman is supposed to be relatable. not black panther   that be like having Namor live in chicago instead of king of atlantis.  
#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29500 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#6 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.
#7 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so glad so many are shouting this down. We need to see Panther in more great believable fights, so that sometimes we wonder if Captain America is on par with Panther as a fighter instead of the other way around.

#8 Posted by porpus (22 posts) - - Show Bio

If black panther dousn't get away from t'challa and wakanda,than he will remain a poor seller with his series always canceled,that's a fact,if they try to do a movie about him than they will have to change it away from wkanda,so that the public can relate better,like i said t'challa dousn't work,marvel has been trying to get him over with comic fans since the 60's and it still hasn't worked,the've been trying for over 40 years with no success,so clearly something needs to change.
#9 Posted by Shadey (186 posts) - - Show Bio
@porpus said:
" to make black panther more relatable and have better sales they need to get rid of the whole wakanda thing and just have him be some guy,like the way daredevil is just some guy,T'challa dousn't work "  
I hope you never pick up a pencil and starting writing stories because they will surely suck just like your suggestion for black panther.
#10 Posted by porpus (22 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadey:
 Not suck as bad as you,you little 9 year old black panther fanboy
#11 Posted by Shadey (186 posts) - - Show Bio
@porpus said:
" @Shadey:  Not suck as bad as you,you little 9 year old black panther fanboy "
Riggggght. Okay kid.
#12 Posted by Wise Son (1772 posts) - - Show Bio
@porpus said:
" to make black panther more relatable and have better sales they need to get rid of the whole wakanda thing and just have him be some guy,like the way daredevil is just some guy,T'challa dousn't work "
No, just no. Should we just re-imagine all the comic icons just for the sake of relatability? Smh.
#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

Lots of  "relatable" characters fail all the time where as characters like a godlike alien and a billionaire with sci-fi gadgets are the most successful characters of all time making your argument faulty as hell

#14 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadey said:
" @porpus said:
I hope you never pick up a pencil and starting writing stories because they will surely suck just like your suggestion for black panther. "
WIN. So much of it as well.
#15 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" Lots of  "relatable" characters fail all the time where as characters like a godlike alien and a billionaire with sci-fi gadgets are the most successful characters of all time making your argument faulty as hell "
More WIN.
#16 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we should make him an Italian guy from Jersey

#17 Edited by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio

They should make him Marvels Batman with a utility belt, vibranium weave suit (weaved in both directions, so no cutting across the grain(dumb of writer to do)) or thin Vibranium plates with a modern look, a cape, and no more silly claws and archaic cat stuff or stone spears. Tech items only. Possibly an Adamantium sword or Anti-metal Vibranium sword. 

Edit: And base him in the U.S. but not as the man without fear. Just a wealthy ex-king who hunts criminals and fights crime in New York.
#18 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio
@weaponmaster: And give him a panther mobile and a panther cave and a side kick named kitten
#19 Edited by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

" @weaponmaster: And give him a panther mobile and a panther cave and a side kick named kitten "

Grow up and stop trolling. 

He has a flying Panther cycle already. Also Panthers don't live in caves they live in trees so his NY penthouse/embassy  would be quite fitting. A better sidekick name analogy would be Jackal as bats and robins are not the even same genus, let alone the same species. 

This is a "change panther" thread not an "attack others ideas" thread so stop taking your crappy self-esteem out on people who are trying to enjoy comicvine.
#20 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio
@weaponmaster: I was just making a joke calm down
#21 Posted by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @weaponmaster: I was just making a joke calm down "

I am calm. Stop trolling.
#22 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio
@weaponmaster: I wasn't trolling I was trying to be funny 
#23 Posted by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @weaponmaster: I wasn't trolling I was trying to be funny  "

Trolls typically try to use humor in their sardonic, condescending, comments. 

Attempted humor does not exonerate one from being a troll.
#24 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio
@weaponmaster: yes yes we must all be serious all the time
#25 Posted by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @weaponmaster: yes yes we must all be serious all the time "

There's nothing wrong with humor but being a jerk and then rationalizing it with "I was just joking" is another thing altogether.
#26 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't think that guy meant to be a troll. Just saying...

#27 Posted by porpus (22 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428 said:
" @Shadey said:
" @porpus said:
I hope you never pick up a pencil and starting writing stories because they will surely suck just like your suggestion for black panther. "
WIN. So much of it as well. "

Fail, Wakanda makes no sense,there a technically advanced country with people who still wear loincloths and carry tribal spears ,also how does there king find the time to fight crime?that's like Obama running around fighting crime,it's ridiculus even for comics,if black panther where really that good he would sell more issues and he wouldn't have failed for the past 40+ years,he will always be a d-lister as long as he is t'challa/wakanda, they should make him some guy like catman is or other cat-related heroes and move him to new orleans to fight crime,new orleans is a shady place that a superhero would fit into.
#28 Edited by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@porpus: I got a better idea, why don't we stop pretending this isn't about the fact the he is from Africa, a rich intelligent king with a technologically advanced nation, and you find that harder to swallow than some alien white dude who came from a distant dying planet that came to Earth, gets powered by some funky rays from the sun to fly around, and his only weakness is some slime green rocks that doesn't hurt anyone else but his in-destructive butt????

Let's cut to the chase. You think "regular" = "white". We get indoctrinated to believe it's okay to fantasize about being some male white  protagonist all the time, seeing something different hurts some smaller minds sometime, I'll try to help you evolve into the 21st Century. I can see why it's hard for to accept an African king as a hero, you've see the oppisite drilled into you brain for so long. White to Hollywood means more people are going to see this movie/cartoon/comic/video game. The world is bigger than that.  

Silver Surfer-doesn't have an on-going series currently, but fans love him and has a demand. Doctor Strange-doesn't have a current on-going series, fans love him, and has a demand . Marvel doesn't even have that many on-going female titles. They kept trying to cancel the MU2 'Spider-Girl' series, fans had to speak out to keep it going. There are plenty of characters out there I could mention, but bottom line is, Black Panther has enough of a following from ALL WALKS OF LIFE that they keep making an on-going title because there are those who will buy it. 

"Porpus", or "Bigalow", or whatever you are calling yourself now-a-days, didn't Static Shock

PWND!! you six months ago in your thread "Why The Black Panther?":  "The title itself is marketable. Catman, by himself, isn't. The book (Edit: "Secret Six") isn't selling because of him (there are different characters on the team, not just him). Besides, Secret Six's numbers aren't any better than Black Panther's have been, monthly. It's been selling a little over 20,000 copies a month, and it's been ranked in the mid-90. I just checked on comichron.com. Its sales have been declining since its debut, and they will keep declining. The first issue only sold almost 32,000 copies. The first issues of Black Panther vol 2 (56,000), vol 3 (50,000), and vol 4 (46,000) all sold better than Secret Six's first issue. 
But, in any case, that title doesn't sell any better than Black Panther's." 

YOU GOT PWND, SON!!!!! I am not going to sit here and let you insult my intelligence, or The Black Panther by comparing him to some NOBODY like CATMAN!!! Catman will NEVER be big because HIS NAME IS CATMAN!!!! People will say: "What is he,like, Catwoman's little brother?!?!? LMBO!!!!" Same thing with Wonder Man, people already know who Wonder WOMAN is!!! LET IT GO, IT'S OKAY TO HAVE A BLACK AFRICAN SUPER HERO, THERE ARE OTHER THINGS IN COMICS  WAAAAAY MORE UNBELIEVABLE THAN THAT!!!!!!
#29 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio
@weaponmaster: I wasn't rationalizing it actually was a joke 
#30 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

As for the "supposed" low sales for his ongoing title it's probably because he isn't used to his potential and he needs to be used more often. When the movie comes out that will create more Black Panther fans, more comic book readers, and it will bring widespread exposure to the character which will result in Marvel using him more often and giving more attention to the character.

#31 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @weaponmaster: ... and a side kick named kitten "
He can steal Golden Age Cat's sidekick, that was her name :)
#32 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

They could totally make a kick-ass Black Panther movie involving Wakanda. A cross between Iron Man and Batman with an international political edge.
#33 Posted by digimod (239 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonAvenger said:
" As for the "supposed" low sales for his ongoing title it's probably because he isn't used to his potential and he needs to be used more often. When the movie comes out that will create more Black Panther fans, more comic book readers, and it will bring widespread exposure to the character which will result in Marvel using him more often and giving more attention to the character. "
Agreed.
#34 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio
@weaponmaster said:
"They should make him Marvels Batman with a utility belt, vibranium weave suit (weaved in both directions, so no cutting across the grain(dumb of writer to do)) or thin Vibranium plates with a modern look, a cape, and no more silly claws and archaic cat stuff or stone spears. Tech items only. Possibly an Adamantium sword or Anti-metal Vibranium sword.  Edit: And base him in the U.S. but not as the man without fear. Just a wealthy ex-king who hunts criminals and fights crime in New York. "

I see your Marvel batman and raise you a Nighthawk.  

#35 Posted by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:
" @joshmightbe said:
" @weaponmaster: ... and a side kick named kitten "
He can steal Golden Age Cat's sidekick, that was her name :) "

Again. Bats and robins arent the same genus or species, so an analogous sidekick name would not be cat related....
#36 Posted by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio
@FortressoftheMoon said:
"@weaponmaster said:
"They should make him Marvels Batman with a utility belt, vibranium weave suit (weaved in both directions, so no cutting across the grain(dumb of writer to do)) or thin Vibranium plates with a modern look, a cape, and no more silly claws and archaic cat stuff or stone spears. Tech items only. Possibly an Adamantium sword or Anti-metal Vibranium sword.  Edit: And base him in the U.S. but not as the man without fear. Just a wealthy ex-king who hunts criminals and fights crime in New York. "

I see your Marvel batman and raise you a Nighthawk.  

"

True, Nighthawk is a Batman iteration for Marvel, but Black Panther has the potential to be more popular in my opinion and was concieved before Nighthawk and has many parallels to batman: black costume, genius level intellect, a prolific inventor, uses tech gadgets, is one of the best martial artist in the world having mastered many styles, multi-billionaire, etc, ad infinitum. (yes i know Nighthak shares many of these similarities as well)
#37 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not the character of Black Panther that is the problem, it's how Marvel decides to use him.  Making him the new "Man without Fear" is just the latest proof of that.

#38 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:
" It's not the character of Black Panther that is the problem, it's how Marvel decides to use him.  Making him the new "Man without Fear" is just the latest proof of that. "
Agreed.
#39 Posted by porpus (22 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428:
 Little girl you have won nothing,your opinion is crap, I don't care what race he is,only a little bitch like you would try to drag race into something,on my previuos bigalow account i even onece pointed out that it was strange to call him the "black panther" and make an issue of his race and not call spiderman the "white spiderman",anyway your argument is retarded and you have failed,black panther is just to wonky that's why he will always fail,deal with it.
#40 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio
@porpus: How is he any less relatable than Superman or Thor last I checked they were still pretty popular one's a prince of a race of gods and the other is a super powered alien and both have had series lasting more than 30 years, and whats wrong with a black man being a king, Aquaman and Namor are both kings and that doesn't stop them from being super heroes, Black Bolt is a king and no one's complaining about that. 
#41 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio
@porpus:   Why don't you just mellow out and stop insulting people that don't agree with you.   Black Panther is a great character and nothing you say will convince anyone otherwise.   Just because his solo books don't last too long doesn't mean the character is crap.   Numerous great characters can't sustain solo books. 
#42 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio
@weaponmaster: 
Oh yeah you also left out that Black Panther, Nighthawk along with Batman had their fathers murder by a white guy wanting their riches.

#43 Edited by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@porpus said:

" @Osiris1428:  Little girl you have won nothing,your opinion is crap, I don't care what race he is,only a little bitch like you would try to drag race into something,on my previuos bigalow account i even onece pointed out that it was strange to call him the "black panther" and make an issue of his race and not call spiderman the "white spiderman",anyway your argument is retarded and you have failed,black panther is just to wonky that's why he will always fail,deal with it. "   

Mr.porpus, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room (or this thread for that matter)is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. 
#44 Posted by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio
@FortressoftheMoon said:
"@weaponmaster: Oh yeah you also left out that Black Panther, Nighthawk along with Batman had their fathers murder by a white guy wanting their riches.      "

Hence the "etc, ad infinitum". I also left out that they were male homosapiens who breath, eat, sleep, blink, and were born etc, ad infinitum
#45 Edited by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

Something Babs said in an earlier post that I found interesting: ".... I feel like Hudlin gets all this flack for being controversial and racially unaware or something. Where is it stemming from? THAT'S what I want to know... " 

I don't really find Hudlin racially unaware, just wanting to assert a sort of black male power fantasy in a world of white male power fantasy-comic books. Same thing happens in the pages of Wonder Woman- a female empowerment fantasy.

#46 Posted by porpus (22 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428 said:
"@porpus said:

" @Osiris1428:  Little girl you have won nothing,your opinion is crap, I don't care what race he is,only a little bitch like you would try to drag race into something,on my previuos bigalow account i even onece pointed out that it was strange to call him the "black panther" and make an issue of his race and not call spiderman the "white spiderman",anyway your argument is retarded and you have failed,black panther is just to wonky that's why he will always fail,deal with it. "   

Mr.porpus, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room (or this thread for that matter)is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.  "

Your just upset that i know about your poster of the black panther with a hole cut in his mouth,in your case a very small hole.
#47 Posted by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio
@porpus said:
"@Osiris1428 said:
"@porpus said:

Mr.porpus, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room (or this thread for that matter)is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.  "
Your just upset that i know about your poster of the black panther with a hole cut in his mouth,in your case a very small hole. "

A childish response because of hurt feelings.
#48 Posted by porpus (22 posts) - - Show Bio
@weaponmaster said:
"@porpus said:
"@Osiris1428 said:
"@porpus said:

Your just upset that i know about your poster of the black panther with a hole cut in his mouth,in your case a very small hole. "
A childish response because of hurt feelings. "

No,his feelings were hurt,that's why he had to respond the way he did
#49 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@porpus said:
" @weaponmaster said:
"@porpus said:
"@Osiris1428 said:
"@porpus said:

A childish response because of hurt feelings. "
No,his feelings were hurt,that's why he had to respond the way he did "
I would go further on my 'PWND'-a-thon, but, from reading your responses,-the poor spelling, your lack of knowledge of how to create a coherent sentence, your failure to make a compelling argument, there is no way you could possibly be an adult. You might be a small child, and I don't want to hurt you feelings any further. I am no bully.
#50 Posted by digimod (239 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it's time everyone just agreed to disagree. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.