Follow

Black Panther

Character » Black Panther appears in 3341 issues.

T'Challa is the Black Panther, king of Wakanda, one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. He is among the top intellects and martial artists of the world, a veteran Avenger, and a member of the Illuminati. Using his powers and abilities, he has pledged his fortune, powers, and life to the service of all mankind.

BP: Marvel Now and Beyond

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PassionFlower

Safe to say I like this character a lot and I am curious about whats going on with him with Marvel saying he is a huge part of Marvel Now. I know we expect him in New Avengers and that is all great but what does that entail and what beyond that? Will he and Storm reconcile or will another woman become his Queen? What about Namor, will he seek revenge? will he come to terms with the X Men after the massacre? Is he on the path to being like Doom?

moneyspider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By moneyspider1

I hope that Storm and the Black Panther reconcile and are finally written by writers who actually care about the characters as a couple. Marvel's track record with both marriages and romantic relationship in the 616 has been terrible over the past few years. As for what will happen to Black Panther in Marvel NOW! and beyond, I'm hoping that Marvel will finally start including him in the "bigger grand scheme" events of the 616, right alongside the likes of Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine and Spiderman. I think Hickman writing the character is a huge start, as is the Black Panther's recent upgrades from Fantastic Four #607/608. I really hope Hickman shows us just how powerful and knowledgeable T'Challa has become, especially since he was a genius BEFORE his most recent upgrade. For the longest time, there were people who believed Black Panther never had any powers (which was untrue)...but now, there may be no denying that he indeed has powers. Being "King of the Dead" shouldn't be anything to ignore.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

I agree with everything money spider said. Except BP and Storm getting back together.

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By windcaster

I hope that people will start to develop a genuine interest with the character and a movie can be developed. Personally I would like to see them remain a couple, but at the moment I would just settle for an amicable split.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Blood1991

Hickman likes him alot and really understands his character. So if anything I know he will be written well. After that I am unsure what will happen. Marvel can say a character is important all they want I won't believe it until I see it, because I have heard that bull before.

Luster77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Luster77

To me, in a sense, the BP is basically Batman of the Marvel U. He's a King for one, traveled the world and honed his intellect, and he has an awesome arsenal too. I think he should get that Oh my God moment in Marvel like the heavyweights do. You can never count him out, not for one second.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@windcaster said:

I hope that people will start to develop a genuine interest with the character and a movie can be developed. Personally I would like to see them remain a couple, but at the moment I would just settle for an amicable split.

i agree with this.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PassionFlower

@windcaster said:

I agree with that, if they aren't a couple they could at least be friends.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PassionFlower

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Is there someone you have in mind you would rather see him with?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#10  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@PassionFlower said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Is there someone you have in mind you would rather see him with?

not really.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#11  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Black Panther might get his own series

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Umbraa
    No Caption Provided

He's going to be a star in NEW Avengers by Jonathan Hickman at the very least.

Hickman also said that besides Avengers and NEW Avengers he has a 3rd project...and that could possibly be a Black Panther book. However there is no conformation on that. Its clear that he is writing him though and that he is going to be in the NEW Avengers with Tony, Black Bolt and Reed (see Fantastic Four #607-608)...

While the roster has not been officially announced, he has made it clear that he is writing him. I think we will find out for sure in a few days, particularly the NYCC on Oct. 11.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Umbraa

@moneyspider1 said:

I hope that Storm and the Black Panther reconcile and are finally written by writers who actually care about the characters as a couple. Marvel's track record with both marriages and romantic relationship in the 616 has been terrible over the past few years. As for what will happen to Black Panther in Marvel NOW! and beyond, I'm hoping that Marvel will finally start including him in the "bigger grand scheme" events of the 616, right alongside the likes of Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine and Spiderman. I think Hickman writing the character is a huge start, as is the Black Panther's recent upgrades from Fantastic Four #607/608. I really hope Hickman shows us just how powerful and knowledgeable T'Challa has become, especially since he was a genius BEFORE his most recent upgrade. For the longest time, there were people who believed Black Panther never had any powers (which was untrue)...but now, there may be no denying that he indeed has powers. Being "King of the Dead" shouldn't be anything to ignore.

Hickman has said he isn't writing Storm at all (for the New Avengers at least). So there is that. Still a chance for the other unannounced book, BUT I would not hold my breath.

As far as the stuff from Fantastic Four. It's clear that both Brevoort and Hickman ARE on board with T'challa's upgrades. I'm so glad and a lot of stuff written on the boards and certain attitudes have indeed made it easy. T'challa WILL be on par with Black Bolt and Namor in terms of physical prowess. T'challa will indeed possibly be the most knowledgeable and skilled fighter with generations of know how of every Panther. Hickman LOVES power houses and polymaths...I think his T'challa is going to be Morrison's Batman 1 million, just more suped up.

Here is what Brevoort said about T'challa recently.

I think relative strength is taken into account. When was the last time we saw the Surfer display enormous physical strength? While we've occasionally (and very early in his development) seen him boost his physical stats through applied cosmic energy, it's not something he does typically or even often. I would even go so far as to postulate that on a normal day, T'Challa is capable of pressing more weight, certainly than an unaugmented Surfer. What people are arguing here are Handbook stats and greatest instances, and those don't really apply in that manner to the scene in question.

This sort of logic (He was answering a question) has really put a spot light on why they went ahead with giving him those new perks. Besides David Liss and Bill Rosemann giving their input on the situation as they witness this sort of stuff in every review thread on anything and every thing he did in the book, particularly on CBR... and I think that was a huge catalyst for change. Especially the treatment of the late great Mr. Mcduffie, who explained the scene every time...but rabid fanboys did not listen. Now there is non of that...Money you know I have been writing about this for a while and Marvel finally gets it.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PassionFlower

I@Umbraa: I'm sorry Umbraa but I thought the Panther vs Silver Surfer was ridiculous. To me it was like Daredevil vs Thor. Now maybe we were all wrong for thinking that but it had me rolling my eyes.

Urliq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Urliq

I hope Black Panther gets his own series. I was a fan of the Black Panther - replacement Daredevil series that took place after Shadowland.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Umbraa

@PassionFlower said:

I@Umbraa: I'm sorry Umbraa but I thought the Panther vs Silver Surfer was ridiculous. To me it was like Daredevil vs Thor. Now maybe we were all wrong for thinking that but it had me rolling my eyes.

But it wasn't since SS wasn't trying to fight and blasted him the next page. Each his own, but really if you are mad about that, there are so many other things that are just as bad.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PassionFlower

@Urliq said:

I hope Black Panther gets his own series. I was a fan of the Black Panther - replacement Daredevil series that took place after Shadowland.

That was a great book done by David Liss. I loved it too.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PassionFlower

I wonder if they have considered some design changes to the BP costume? I'm a fan of the short cape.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Umbraa

@PassionFlower said:

I wonder if they have considered some design changes to the BP costume? I'm a fan of the short cape.

Hickman said each member of the team has different suits.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PassionFlower

@Umbraa said:

@PassionFlower said:

Hickman said each member of the team has different suits.

I wonder if these are new designs or their current wear? If it is new I will be very pleased.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.