BP fan from the UK

#1 Posted by UKMase (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi there ive been trying to find a place ot chat about BP for months now. Ive been collecting the BP for over 15years now and sometimes feel like im the only BP reader out there. Its nice the BP comic is now in the main stream after so many year sof being a bit part character.

Im 28 and live in the UK, im cuurently in the process on trying to complete my colletion although im never quite sure just how many appearances BP has made.

I hope some other BP readers read this and reply as i would love to discuss the BP comic run, and the trial and tribulations of collecting the backissues.

Regards

UKMase

#2 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think I've read much about him apart from the odd appearances in the Civil War graphics I'm halfway through. Tell me about him? Why's he so great?

By the way, from one Brit to another, welcome to the Vine :D

Post Edited:2007-07-24 07:50:09

#3 Posted by the creator (8577 posts) - - Show Bio

I have read quite alot of comics that he has appeared in but I have no where all his appearances.

There are some online sites that track appearances.

Oh and again welcolm to the vine from yet another Brit.

#4 Posted by BlackPanther (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey! how are you doing? Well fifteen years huh… that sure beats my 2 years (since I was sixteen) of collecting BP.

What do you think about his current series? Has Hudlin been able to capture what you think BP should be like? or do you miss Priest’s writing?

Come check out my page some time.

Any way from one Brit to another, welcome to the vine and I look forwards to hearing from you soon.

#5 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

BP fan from the US

#6 Posted by UKMase (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the man has bested Cap America and The Fantastic 4 for starters. Seriously though hes the first black super hero, the man oozes class, and never loses his temper. The plot lines have always captured my imiganation, sometimes his placs to out manouver a villian can go on for 10 issues. The comic always has me thinking just what the BP is plotting next. He cant fly, he doesnt fire bolts of ligthning out of his eyes, but he can out manouver most villians in the Marvel world. The guy even has a plan to deal with Galactus !!

I do believe the new series has legs and some plot lines are being created now to take this title into the future. As for Priest - the man was a legend in my eyes, hs plot lines were great reading, i enjoyed probably 90% of his BP comics.

Its all been rosy so far for BP in the new series with marriage, etc. I think its about time the BP gets a real test and has to pull himelf from the depths of dispair.

Does anyone know if the BP list on the VINE is a complete list?

Post Edited:2007-07-24 16:29:08

#7 Posted by BlackPanther (511 posts) - - Show Bio

No... not yet. its way too short. have you ever had a chance to read the Marvel mangaverse with BP in it? he uses magic more and he can turn into a were-panther. whats your fav issue by hudlin so far?

anyway i'll see you later.

#8 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

A BP delegate from the wilds of the U.S. Here to welcome you with salutation and jubilation.

Priest has done a great service by re-invigorating BP and giving him the proper amount of care that so many of his Marvel counterparts have recieved an overabundance of.Hudlin has some good points and I am enjoying his take on BP and Wakanda but I am curious to see if he has the chops Priest displayed in regards to the cunning of BP and his rogues gallery.And with BP essentially anyone could fall into his rogue gallery, freind and foe alike.

Much like Doom and Latveria, Black Bolt and Attilan, BP is synomonous with Wakanda and the country itself is a large part of his character and ordinance. In concept he really is unique and if Hudlin maintains that autonomy BP has from so many of his superheroic counterparts he should do a fairly good job of adding to the BP legacy.

#9 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Know what I like about BP. There are plenty of Marvel characters that are arguably the best at there niche. Wolverine best at what he does, Prof X best telepath, Doc Strange best with magic,Hulk best tough guy,Cap beat soldier and etc..The characters of color predominantly are cool in relation to the average human but not too many can boast a best of niche. But with BP you arguably have a best of. Best King and Storm is best Queen, based on her history prior to her marriage and currently.Why is BP best King well his greatest competition in my opinmion is Black Bolt,but BP's contingencies are to maintain his kingdom, all his efforts are for his people. And Storm's track record is comparable. And BP is competent enough to hold that niche. Which in my opinion takes away from his novelty factor as a minority and puts his uniqueness on his ability.

But I could be wrong.

#10 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Sling Shot says:

"Know what I like about BP. There are plenty of Marvel characters that are arguably the best at there niche. Wolverine best at what he does, Prof X best telepath, Doc Strange best with magic,Hulk best tough guy,Cap beat soldier and etc..The characters of color predominantly are cool in relation to the average human but not too many can boast a best of niche. But with BP you arguably have a best of. Best King and Storm is best Queen, based on her history prior to her marriage and currently.Why is BP best King well his greatest competition in my opinmion is Black Bolt,but BP's contingencies are to maintain his kingdom, all his efforts are for his people. And Storm's track record is comparable. And BP is competent enough to hold that niche. Which in my opinion takes away from his novelty factor as a minority and puts his uniqueness on his ability. But I could be wrong."

I have to agree with you Sling Shot. Though Hudlin worries me with the direction he is taking BP in, I love that there is a black character who can actually be considered in the upper tier of heroes. Not in power but in influence, just as a character like Captain America was always in the upper tier. That has always been my main problem with Marvel and I am glad that BP has made his way out of obscurity.

Oh and I'm another BP fan from the US. Welcome to the vine UKMase.

#11 Posted by UKMase (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Well i wasnt expecting this many replies - seems like there are plenty of BP fans out there.

I have not read the magnaverse comic, but i am going to try and track it down, what is the name/number of the comic?

I especially like the issue directly after the marriage wher he starts his world tou. But saying that i really enjoyed the jungel aciton series where interaction with his home country was at its height, Some times i think Marvel are building him up to be there version of Kofi Anam. He needs to get back to his roots.

Mase

#12 Posted by BlackPanther (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Yo Mase!

yeh the comics are marvel mangaverse: 4 to 6. These three comics feature the majestic Black panther, captain America, doctor strange in all his glory, tigra, scarlet witch fantastic four and an interesting take on Doctor doom. My advice is to read all 1 to 6, but the first three comics are not integral to the story with black panther.

This version of BP is strong and confidant (a lot like he is in his mainstream comics). But he is also a shape shifter. Not many people realize that the panther god is also Bast the ancient Egyptian goddess, But in this version he also embodies the ability to transform into the Falcon due to the help of Horus (the Egyptian falcon god).

This may all sound farfetched but in the normal series he is a King, Shaman, Priest and the protector of wakanda. So in a similar way as the Egyptian pharaoh and many other African ancient kings he is seen as the living embodiment of bast.

Remember that the whole persona of the black panther was originally to fight demons, so every king has to be as strong as he can be (hence the yearly tournament to test his abilities against the best fighters and magicians in wakanda).

Another thing to not is his ability to shape shift in to a were panther. This may be insignificant but its not an isolated occurrence. In other crossover’s he or is relatives (for example coal tiger) can take the werepanther form. Also he made his more mainstream appearance as a werepanther in the ultimate avengers two: rise of the black panther. As you know black panther hasn’t been seen in the ultimate world yet, but the fact some of his appearances have been werepanthers may indicate that marvel wants to introduce him as a werepanther maybe in the ultimate series. This makes sense because many countries in Africa, mostly east and central Africa (Uganda, Congo and Kenya), still have stories and legends told of wereleopards and wereLions. Werelions are said to be kings, but were leopards are said to be leopard gods. I assume that this is where marvel acquired their idea from but this may not be their source of inspiration.

-Black Panther-

#13 Posted by UKMase (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Sound like a great twist of the real BP, im in the progress of tracking the comics down on ebay.

Ive recently read the storm mini series, whihc depicts BP as a young man befre he gained his powers from the ancient herb. Its good somtimes to read about heros without there powers.

I have tried reading other heros books and the only one who comes close was the Surfer, but i got a bit bored of him beating everything hands down.

My dream is to own all BP comics with every appearance, i think im about 60% complete at the moment.

#14 Posted by UKMase (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Sound like a great twist of the real BP, im in the progress of tracking the comics down on ebay.

Ive recently read the storm mini series, whihc depicts BP as a young man befre he gained his powers from the ancient herb. Its good somtimes to read about heros without there powers.

I have tried reading other heros books and the only one who comes close was the Surfer, but i got a bit bored of him beating everything hands down.

My dream is to own all BP comics with every appearance, i think im about 60% complete at the moment.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.