Follow

Black Panther

Character » Black Panther appears in 3342 issues.

T'Challa is the Black Panther, king of Wakanda, one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. He is among the top intellects and martial artists of the world, a veteran Avenger, and a member of the Illuminati. Using his powers and abilities, he has pledged his fortune, powers, and life to the service of all mankind.

Black Panther Done Right

Avatar image for augustus_freeman_vi
    Augustus Freeman VI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I just got finished reading through Panther's page here on cv and reading some really good forum posts on Black Panther, Wakanda, and all things related. When I came across this post.
    @Osiris1428 said:

One more thing: It's funny to know that on Marvel's website, because of American Panther, Black Panther FINALLY has a separate thread all to himself. Wow, it took all that. Or should say, it took that!?!?  

Look, Marvel, it's simple: There are OBVIOUS things in Black Panther's story that should be fleshed out that you seem to ignore it in a desperate mad dash to make Panther more 'relevant'. 
    1). Flesh out the marriage between T'Challa and Storm. Deadpool and his inner monologues/personalities have a better fully realized relationship.  

2).Wakanda. Why don't you for a couple of issues give us a better idea of what Wakanda is like to live in. It's citizens, it's problems. Is there no crime? Are there any mutants for Storm to teach/lead? How big is it geographically? Different factions of its military and government? How are their weapons made? Population size? Are there different cities/tribes within this nation? How are they ran? How has Wakanda fared since losing all of it's vibrianium. If Captain America still has his shield, is it safe to assume that not all of the vibrianium is gone...which brings me to my next topic...  

3). Where did the worlds vibranium really come from? SPACE TRIP!!!! It came from space, but was it on purpose. Was it like how out moon was formed, by sheer accident, or, was there something...alien??? Have you guys ever seen that movie 'Mission To Mars'? In the story they basically found out that all life on Earth was started by life on Mars. That could be the inspiration for a story on maybe not just getting the vibrianium back, but where it came from. Who is to say, I mean how far back in the history of Wakanda does the precious metal go-the beginning of time? 
    •      There is a tribe of Africans- the Dogon, who believe that all life on Earth started from life from outer space. There are conspiracy theorists that are "Convinced of evidence that the Egyptian, Sumerian, and Dogon  civilizations were founded by aliens from the Sirius star system who are now ready to return. ..." and all that other 2012 nonsense. I think there is a great story in there for Black Panther. If only we had a writer who wasn't trying to gives us that old "T'Challa has to prove himself-to himself...again" and wanted to give us something new...
    This post got me to thinking what if Marvel actually took this advice and rebooted Black Panther and fleshed everything out like the city and government structure, the panther cult and other surrounding tribe cults, religion and culture of Wakanda, and Vibranium. I would be ecstatic but my question is who would be the man for this job? Who would be able to handle the research and the responsibility of creating all this backstory and do it right. Well in my opinion the man for the job would be Jeremy Love. He did a great job creating his own world in his story Bayou. However, that's the only thing I've read from him to base his ability to do a competent job of undertaking this task. So my question to you Viners is who do you think can do the job right and why?
    Blackreverend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Blackreverend

That's exactly what the Panther franchise needs and I've been waiting all my life for Marvel to take that direction but the truth is that no one in the industry seems to care enough about the character to really explore those areas of his mythology. Writers that get the title are always trying to reinvent the character but in doing so never harness his full potential. Honestly I don't know Jeremy Love... he looks like he could do it but here's someone who already has! He has the ability to capture the full essence of The Black Panther but he is not on the inside! He's been wrting BP fan fiction for years. Check out one of his stories and tell me what you think! http://blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/black-panther-and-storm-in-the-lion-and-the-panther/

Augustus Freeman VI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Blackreverend:  New blood in the industry is always a good thing. I wouldn't mind a newbie writing it at all as long as whatever past work they have is good and they seem up to handling a task of this magnitude. Another writer who hasn't done any comic writing but who I believe could pull it off would bee Steven Barnes. He's done science fiction work with novels written with larry nivens and his star trek book was pretty good. He's done fantasy work which would help with his fleshing out of the native mythology and religion. And he's done work creating his own world and did a great job of describing it.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Osiris1428

They just seem so terrified to do Black Panther right. I don't get it.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By fodigg

I want more DOOMWAR-style black panther.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Kallarkz
    The current series is actually a pleasure to read. Hes depowered at the moment but powers are not what makes a character. 
    They are doing the same to Hercules and hes series is a nice read as well.
    Augustus Freeman VI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kallarkz:  His tmwf series is definitely a good read. However, it's focusing only on bp as a character and his development ( which is not a bad thing at all)  but what I'm really wanting to see is Wakanda and the people, culture, religion, military, etc fleshed out a little better. I guess the title is a little misleading lol

@fodigg
    What specifically did you like about the Doomwar panther, the story, his powers, it being set in Wakanda?
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By fodigg
    @Augustus Freeman VI: The fact that he was acting as a ruler of wakanda and dealing with wakanda politics without it feeling cut off from the larger Marvel universe. X-men were there with him. Also, it showed a lot of his resolve and leadership ability that I liked, not to mention how badass he could be when it was called for.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Osiris1428
    @fodigg said:
    @Augustus Freeman VI: The fact that he was acting as a ruler of wakanda and dealing with wakanda politics without it feeling cut off from the larger Marvel universe. X-men were there with him. Also, it showed a lot of his resolve and leadership ability that I liked, not to mention how badass he could be when it was called for.
    Yep, but the ending was so...what the hell...!! After that series, I wasn't thinking, "Hey, they should take him to Hell's Kitchen and make a new persona." I feel like they did DOOMWAR, and then just didn't go to the logical conclusion after that: finding the vibrianium, exploring Storm and BP's relationship.
    Augustus Freeman VI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Osiris1428 said:
    I feel like they did DOOMWAR, and then just didn't go to the logical conclusion after that: finding the vibrianium, exploring Storm and BP's relationship.
    Yeah they could have followed him through Wakanda showing his and the cities everyday life, his relationship with; storm, his family, the royal staff, and the citizens of Wakanda while occasionally showing and explaining customs. They could have also showed him working, researching, and trying to find the vibranium. Which ,as you suggested in another forum, could lead to him and a team of Wakandians going into space to look for more or discover its origins. Or a Wakanda that starts to accept mysticism with its lack of vibranium
    GalactaSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By GalactaSurfer
    @Augustus Freeman VI said:
    @Osiris1428 said:
    I feel like they did DOOMWAR, and then just didn't go to the logical conclusion after that: finding the vibrianium, exploring Storm and BP's relationship.
    Yeah they could have followed him through Wakanda showing his and the cities everyday life, his relationship with; storm, his family, the royal staff, and the citizens of Wakanda while occasionally showing and explaining customs. They could have also showed him working, researching, and trying to find the vibranium. Which ,as you suggested in another forum, could lead to him and a team of Wakandians going into space to look for more or discover its origins. Or a Wakanda that starts to accept mysticism with its lack of vibranium
    I thinkg the quest for Vibrainum is the logical next step in the Black Panthers mythos. DoomWar gave writers an opertunity to explore Vibbrainum and its origins.

I remember seeing a pic in the Fall of the Hulks comic where there is a scroll depicting Wakandan mystics calling the Vibranium comet to earth. It would be cool if Storm and her ancestor Ashake helped the Wakandans call another comet to earth.
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By MrUnknown

Definitely agree with 1 and 3. 2 they kind of have fleshed out a bit here and there but it could use a reboot and use the opportunity to become more modernized.

Augustus Freeman VI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it can be said that all Black Panther fans are pretty much in agreement with what direction he should be taken in ; the only question now is who is the person for the job. An  author who might be good for the job is Minister Faust. I've just started reading The Alchemists of Kush and it's pretty good so far. Anybody with other suggestions.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kallarkz

Although I do like the suggestions displayed in this post his current arc has been a very nice one to pick up. 
    Lets see what tomorrows issue brings.

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Ryonslaught
    @Augustus Freeman VI
    @MrUnknown
    @GalactaSurfer
    Where has this thread been all my life?
    I would totally LOVE to see more detail on Wakanda, it's everyday life and inner workings.
     I would also like to see a return to dealing with those tribes outside of the technologically 
    advanced capital of wakanda introduced way back when. The tribes from which the dora Milaje originate

I also agree that the foloowup or lack of dealing with the ramifications of Doomwar on the nation 
    was a bad move for those who invested in black panther vol.3 and 4. Klaws of the Panther tried but god it was awe full! 

@Kallarkz
    I agree Man without fear is fun But I miss Wakadna :(

P.S why Marvel has not continued the tales of wakanda by having a book featuring Storm and Shuri is beyond me!
    We have two panthers now T'chala could do his vigilante thing while the Princess regEnt deals with rebuilding Wakanda! XD
    GalactaSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By GalactaSurfer
    @Augustus Freeman VI said:
    I guess it can be said that all Black Panther fans are pretty much in agreement with what direction he should be taken in ; the only question now is who is the person for the job. An  author who might be good for the job is Minister Faust. I've just started reading The Alchemists of Kush and it's pretty good so far. Anybody with other suggestions.
    I would go with Johnathan Hickman. His SHIELD work is a good example of  writer following and expanding on history.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Osiris1428

This Hate-Monger/American Panther thing has been a big let down. I'm like "So that was it???" It's not done and will continue next month but still, it's not exactly thrilling.

Augustus Freeman VI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GalactaSurfer

I'm going to read johnathan hickman's work because I don't think I've ever read any of his work. I really would love to see wakanda's origins done charles saunder's Imaro style showing the first king of Wakanda and Wakanda's battling and conquering neighboring tribes. Anymore suggestions for writers for this massive origin creation?
    windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By windcaster

I like the character Shuri I just wish someone would do a back story on her. And what the hell happened to all the other African characters? Afrikaa,Malice,Lightbright,Vibraxas,Queen Divine Justice,Achebe. I understand that only BP fans might know who they are but still.

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hatutzeraze

@Osiris1428 said:

@fodigg said:
    Yep, but the ending was so...what the hell...!! After that series, I wasn't thinking, "Hey, they should take him to Hell's Kitchen and make a new persona." I feel like they did DOOMWAR, and then just didn't go to the logical conclusion after that: finding the vibrianium, exploring Storm and BP's relationship.

Marvel would have been crazy to follow the logical conclusion of a comic most people, even Black Panther's fans, hated. It was in their best interest, as a publisher, to distance themselves from a story that guaranteed lack of interest and poor sales. I don't blame them for a second in trying to find an approach to Black Panther that was radically different than where we were left after Maberry's run. The farther away they could get from the stink of that series, the better.

I have a hard time imagining my interest for a continuation of those plotlines would have been handled in a way that would have been half as entertaining a comic as the Liss run has been.

In order for it to be a worthwhile endeavor to explore the ramifications of a story people didn't care about, Marvel has to first generate interest in the Black Panther, interest beyond the fans like us who follow his comics and threads like this. Man Without Fear/Most Dangerous Man Alive was a worthy attempt to do that. It was a failed attempt, but I appreciated the effort, which brought us the best BP stories since the end of the Christopher Priest era, in my opinion.

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Osiris1428

You must be high. That run was boring as hell.

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hatutzeraze

@Osiris1428 said:

You must be high. That run was boring as hell.

Nossir, not high, just a fan of good comics. :)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

IMO Black Panther should be back in Wakanda, Storm/Shuri should continue to lead the country but since the loss Vibranium crime will have rocketed so Black Panther could continue as more of a vigilante like he has been doing

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kallarkz

@spiderbat87 said:

IMO Black Panther should be back in Wakanda, Storm/Shuri should continue to lead the country but since the loss Vibranium crime will have rocketed so Black Panther could continue as more of a vigilante like he has been doing

Fantastic Four #606

Fantastic Four #606
    Fantastic Four #606

HES BACKKKKK. =)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#24  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Kallarkz said:

@spiderbat87 said:

IMO Black Panther should be back in Wakanda, Storm/Shuri should continue to lead the country but since the loss Vibranium crime will have rocketed so Black Panther could continue as more of a vigilante like he has been doing

Fantastic Four #606

Fantastic Four #606
    Fantastic Four #606

HES BACKKKKK. =)

Oh is that were thats from? Good stuff, never liked the cloak though :(
    Spidey_Guy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Spidey_Guy1

T'Challa really does need to be taken seriously again. It seems that every Black Panther series starts out great but is very short lived. Reggie Hudlin was the last writer to handle him well. So if Aqua Man can finally be done right, then why not give a highly advanced charter a much better try?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.