Black Panther Cartoon

#1 Posted by G-Man (30310 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#2 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio

please tell me this won't really be the art of the show...

#3 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"http://www.comicvine.com/black-panther/1477/news/&newsId=888 Discuss..."
I'll watch it. If it has Storm, I'll watch it faithfully.
#4 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

White Mage says:

"G-Man says:
"http://www.comicvine.com/black-panther/1477/news/&newsId=888 Discuss..."
I'll watch it. If it has Storm, I'll watch it faithfully."

I would imagine it would most likely not have storm.

#5 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio

AWWW F##########CK YOU B.E.T!!!

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19235 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it's great

#7 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll watch the first one and then decide if it's worth my time or not.

#8 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

Hoping for something Afro Samurai-esque animation and BP to be more like Priest's version than Hudlin's, but who am I kidding?

#9 Posted by Midnight Lantern (6011 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks doomed to me.

#10 Posted by BlackPanther (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Hoping for something Afro Samurai-esque animation and BP to be more like Priest's version than Hudlin's, but who am I kidding? "

Not sure about the Afro Samurai idea, anime, but not Afro Samurai. however I agree that priest's version is the only one I really like and that's the one I wanna see. Hudlin should have no part in writing the cartoon, If he does it's doomed before its written.
Post Edited:2008-04-18 23:44:24

#11 Posted by King Saturn (223730 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. BET is going to have a Black Panther cartoon. I am speechless. But if the artwork looks anything like that image Nighthunter has in a previous post. I dont want to see it.

#12 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

BlackPanther says:

"Buckshot says:
"Hoping for something Afro Samurai-esque animation and BP to be more like Priest's version than Hudlin's, but who am I kidding? "
Not sure about the Afro Samurai idea, anime, but not Afro Samurai. however I agree that priest's version is the only one I really like and that's the one I wanna see. Hudlin should have no part in writing the cartoon, If he does it's doomed before its written.
Post Edited:2008-04-18 23:44:24"
Agreed.
#13 Posted by G-Man (30310 posts) - - Show Bio

King Saturn says:

"Wow. BET is going to have a Black Panther cartoon. I am speechless. But if the artwork looks anything like that image Nighthunter has in a previous post. I dont want to see it. "

Okay guys, that image was done by Fred Hembeck. He will not have anything to do with the cartoon. I just decided to throw in a random cartoony image in the news story. I actually would like to see something in that style. Maybe that's just me.

Staff
#14 Posted by MotorSteel (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"King Saturn says:
"Wow. BET is going to have a Black Panther cartoon. I am speechless. But if the artwork looks anything like that image Nighthunter has in a previous post. I dont want to see it. "

Okay guys, that image was done by Fred Hembeck. He will not have anything to do with the cartoon. I just decided to throw in a random cartoony image in the news story. I actually would like to see something in that style. Maybe that's just me."

Yeah, pretty sure that's just you lol. Can't they jus go for the style Ultimate Avengers had?

#15 Posted by NEW VENOM (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"***AWWW F##########CK YOU B.E.T!!!***"
why if i may ask
#16 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio

NEW VENOM says:

"Vance Astro says:
why if i may ask "

1.The art sucks.

2.Hudlin is already f#ckin up Black Panther's comics...the cartoon is going to be even worse.

3.Did I say the art sucks?

4.It's on BET...nobody is going to watch a cartoon on BET mafukkas is trynna see Rap City,and 106 & Park and what other boring ass sh!t BET shows...Most people aren't even going to catch on that he's a Marvel Superhero.

5.THE ART F#CKIN SUCKS!!!!

Moderator Online
#17 Posted by G-Man (30310 posts) - - Show Bio

What art? Nothing has been shown yet.

Staff
#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"What art? Nothing has been shown yet."

what is this...then?

Moderator Online
#19 Posted by G-Man (30310 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"King Saturn says:

Okay guys, that image was done by Fred Hembeck. He will not have anything to do with the cartoon. I just decided to throw in a random cartoony image in the news story. I actually would like to see something in that style. Maybe that's just me."

That is the brilliant style of Fred Hembeck. He was one of the first artists I interviewed for the site. http://www.comicvine.com/fred-hembeck/40571/

Notice the knees. That's his trademark:

Post" />http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/user/1000/d645920e395fedad7bbbed0eca3fe2e0/134349_400.jpg

Staff
#20 Posted by BlackPanther (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"G-Man says:
"G-Man says:
"King Saturn says:
That is the brilliant style of Fred Hembeck. He was one of the first artists I interviewed for the site. http://www.comicvine.com/fred-hembeck/40571/ Notice the knees. That's his trademark:
Post" />http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/user/1000/d645920e395fedad7bbbed0eca3fe2e0/134349_400.jpg

OOOOOOh well hopefully the art for the cartoon will be better than that.If it's Afro Samurai quality (not style),people will definately watch it."

Yeh I agree, afro samurai quality would be something else. even if the stories crap people will watch it for the art.

#21 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"G-Man says:
"King Saturn says:
That is the brilliant style of Fred Hembeck. He was one of the first artists I interviewed for the site. http://www.comicvine.com/fred-hembeck/40571/ Notice the knees. That's his trademark:

OOOOOOh well hopefully the art for the cartoon will be better than that.If it's Afro Samurai quality (not style),people will definately watch it.

Moderator Online
#22 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio

BlackPanther says:

"Vance Astro says:
"G-Man says:
"G-Man says:
"King Saturn says:
OOOOOOh well hopefully the art for the cartoon will be better than that.If it's Afro Samurai quality (not style),people will definately watch it."
Yeh I agree, afro samurai quality would be something else. even if the stories crap people will watch it for the art."

Agreed.

Moderator Online
#23 Posted by NEW VENOM (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"NEW VENOM says:
"Vance Astro says:
why if i may ask "
1.The art sucks. 2.Hudlin is already f#ckin up Black Panther's comics...the cartoon is going to be even worse. 3.Did I say the art sucks? 4.It's on BET...nobody is going to watch a cartoon on BET mafukkas is trynna see Rap City,and 106 & Park and what other boring ass sh!t BET shows...Most people aren't even going to catch on that he's a Marvel Superhero. 5.THE ART F#CKIN SUCKS!!!!"
It not the real art but other than that you have a good point
#24 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

I want the art from the Boondocks or Samurai, I think they are the same person Lesean Thomas. Reginald Hudlin is VP of Media for BET so his version is the most likely although Priests is the best. I'm excited to see it.

#25 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have high hopes for this. First of all, it's on BET. Nobody is gonna watch BET to see some cartoon. If it ain't Rap City, College Hill, or 106 & Park, it get's no love. And, think there are a lot of black people that watch BET, but know nothing about comic books, or the Black Panther himself...

Second, I heard that Hudlin is gonna be responsible for it's production. Well, he's messed up the fourth volume of Black Panther already. So, more than likely, he might f@ck this one up too...

Third, the series would do more justice on Spike or Adult Swim, because it attracts the type of audience needed for shows like that... That's just me though...

#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio

Sling Shot says:

"I want the art from the Boondocks or Samurai, I think they are the same person Lesean Thomas. Reginald Hudlin is VP of Media for BET so his version is the most likely although Priests is the best. I'm excited to see it."

Lesean didn't do that art for A.Samurai only Boondocks.Hudlin is responsible for the production of Boondocks as well check the credits.The only way this cartoon will fail is if the storyline is stupid and the art sucks.

Moderator Online
#27 Posted by CM9 (188 posts) - - Show Bio

please dont kill it bet please

#28 Posted by CM9 (188 posts) - - Show Bio

I know allot of black people who are big comic fans and watch B.E.T

#29 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio

trailer here

To say Denys Cowan was busy is putting it mildly.

“My phone didn’t start ringing until the day before Comic-Con,” BET’s Sr. VP of Animation quipped as he sorted through pencils of the Black Panther, separating them out from others of Hannibal. “Then it hasn’t stopped. Everyone wants to know if we’re going to be there.”

Busy? Look at it this way. He was doing the sorting to get final approval from Marvel for his network’s planned launch of the animated Black Panther series AS he was doing this interview. He had just come back from a meeting with the creators of another series BET is working on, The Cipha, which the network unveiled at 2007’s NY Comic-Con. Between statements to us he was giving instructions to various people in his organization.

Talk about multi-tasking.

Still, one has to admit the award-winning comic book artist, co-founder of the much missed Milestone Comics, and producer of The Boondocks has plenty to talk about. Next year, his young wing of BET will unveil three different series, and he was more than glad to talk about them before their unveiling at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con.

Here’s what he had to say:

NEWSARAMA: What is the ETA for Panther, Hannibal, Cipha? All this good stuff?

DENYS COWAN: The ETA for Panther and Hannibal, which we’re intending to do as a block, is, I believe, February. Let’s say first quarter, 2009, so we’re not quite nailed down. That’s what we’re aiming to achieve.

NRAMA: Do you have a specific day in mind? Would the block be on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc?

DC: Not yet. We haven’t figure out which day, but they will both be prime time series. They’re not Saturday morning.

NRAMA: So much more mature in content?

DC: They’re mature in content, both in action and in dramatic presentation. Not the sex thing, really.

NRAMA: No sex? What would some people say? Pardon me, I couldn’t resist.

DC: (Laughs). We’re developing much the same way Rome did, without the nudity.

NRAMA: How does it now feel from directly producing one series to supervising over at least three?

DC: We actually have many other things in development even though we have three series currently in production. That said, it’s great. It’s been a long time coming. Yes, I produced a few series over the while.

I also would like to say I really don’t know how it really feels until some of them are ready. We’re just about to that point now. I will feel it when people actually get to see the series air.

NRAMA: But it’s not like you’re doing The Question or Hardware anymore. The scale is much, much bigger.

DC: It is different. I’m creative but in a different way. I’m not drawing. I’m not writing the stories. Yet, all the skills I developed from drawing and writing stories, working with other people on comics, do come into play in this.

NRAMA: In other words, you’re drawing on your past experience.

DC: I’m drawing on my past experience to produce and direct animated series. Remember I also built companies and have done other things.

NRAMA: Yes. Like comics, animation is a collaborative affair, but on a much larger scale.

DC: Yes. You are dealing with a lot more people, and you are trying to get them all to move in a certain direction. Still, what I learned from doing Static Shock and The Boondocks is you build a box. The box should be pretty big. Inside the box you can do anything you want. Outside the box is where you don’t want to be. That’s the structure. That’s the certain way and look we want to see. The same things I applied as a producer I now apply as a department head for BET.

NRAMA: Now did you ever work on a Panther comic?

DC: Yes I did. I did a four-issue miniseries. It was all about the Black Panther in South Africa.

NRAMA: Dealing with Apartheid and all that?

DC: Yes, which was huge back then. This was the late 80s/early 90s. In fact, I did it in 1987-88, but it didn’t get published until something like 1990. Marvel did that because certain people said that we sold too many comics in South Africa. That was my first sobering experience about the business. I was saying ‘Black Panther lives in Africa. He should be fighting Apartheid,’ but certain people at Marvel said ‘We have to pause for a second and consider where we are.’ Now it would have been right out. It’s different times.

NRAMA: So opening up this Panther box, are we seeing a bit of Kirby? A bit of yourself?

DC: Nope. I’ll tell you exactly what you are going to see. For the first series, “Who Is the Black Panther,” which the comic, of course, is written by our president Reggie Hudlin, and is being drawn by John Romita Jr. So the series is going to look exactly like he drew it.

NRAMA: Does Romita’s style transfer well to animation? I mean Romita is classic Marvel all the way, but is that too detailed for the small screen?

DC: Romita is a super, superstar in this industry. He is a personal favorite of mine. A great guy and I like him a lot. More important than that, I admire his art. So for me it is a thrill to do it in his style.

NRAMA: But did you have to strip out some of his detail?

DC: Let’s say we found a way to keep what he does and animate it. Take a look at the preview and you’ll see. It looks like John Romita Jr. doing an animated film. He’s seen the trailer and he’s thrilled.

NRAMA: So are you and Reggie the supervising producers?

DC: We have a studio named Titmouse.

NRAMA: The guys who do Metalocalypse.

DC: Right! They’re great. They do all kinds of stuff. They are doing The Black Panther.

NRAMA: So I would say it’s safe they aren’t doing it in the same style as Metalocalypse. That’s a completely different style.

DC: No. It has a totally different vibe, a totally different feel.

NRAMA: More full animation?

DC: Well, to me, Metalocalypse is full animation. You get everything you need out of it. Any more animation would probably limit it. Now Panther will be fuller and richer. That’s because we’re talking about a totally different subject matter, too. Also, while I’m sure you’re used to all kinds of superhero animation, from Bruce Timm to all the Marvel styles, again this will look like something you’ve never seen. It also won’t look like Afro Samurai or any anime-influenced. It will have its own look.

NRAMA: So who is the voice of the Panther?

DC: That we’re figuring out right now. We have several different names in mind. I won’t say exactly yet because they haven’t said yes or no. We’re definitely going for some superstars.

NRAMA: Are you talking about the likes of Keith David or Phil LaMarr?

DC: I worked with Phil on Static Shock. Keith is one of my favorites and let’s not forget Kevin Michael Richardson or Cree Summer. There’s a lot of great and upcoming black voice talent out there. They will find a place in BET Animation, Black Panther and Hannibal. But none of these people are being discussed for the lead. We’re looking for someone new. Not Denzel Washington, but something.

NRAMA: What about directors?

DC: Chris from Titmouse is going to be directing them himself. He has a great crew over there, so we feel very confident. There are no names that comic fans might recognize like Bruce Timm or Frank Paur or such. We got our own team of guys.

NRAMA: I do not want to forget Hannibal. How is that shaping up?

DC: Fantastically! We got Matt Wayne as our story editor and head writer. We also have writers like Stan Berkowitz of New Frontiers working on it, which was one of my favorite animated movies, period. We also have a science fiction writer named Stephen Barnes who is just great. They are turning in some fine, fine stuff. Titmouse is going to be the studio for that as well.

NRAMA: Based on the pencils I saw way back in NY Comic Con, Hannibal is going for a very lush, classic, detailed style.

DC: It’s a much more lush style. It’s classic heroic stuff. Still, it’s going to be an unconventional look. That’s because our thing is to do things that don’t look like anyone else’s. We looked at a number of different styles and asked ourselves, how are we going to be different? That’s been our thing.

NRAMA: Now Hannibal is an interesting character. Why did you choose him?

DC: It’s a story that hasn’t been told except on the History Channel. It’s fun to take what some consider the Black Conan or Black Spartacus and tell his real story. What many people don’t realize is he was one day away from conquering Ancient Rome. If he didn’t stop, he would have done it. As it was, he ran them to the ground with 17 years of harassment. His name is synonymous with the boogie man in Rome.

NRAMA: So you’ve chosen one incredible general and one incredible monarch as your first two subjects.

DC: Two African Kings! One is future and the other is the past, but both still relevant now.

NRAMA: I guess you can say so with Barack making some noise now.

DC: You can say that...just a little (laughs). We feel the timing is right.

NRAMA: Now the series that really blew my mind was The Cipher.

DC: That’s a little further down. It’s not as developed as the other ones. We got a great showrunner attached to it. He’s developing all the concepts with Drew Massut, the creator of the series. It’s really a hip hop X-Men.

NRAMA: So you are ready to stand San Diego on its ears?

DC: We think so.

#30 Posted by King Saturn (223730 posts) - - Show Bio
Okay... Um... when exactly can we expect this Black Panther cartoon to air on BET  ?
#31 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw this on Scans Daily:

So, as some of you know, BET's relatively new animation division (headed by Denys Cowan, who I think I should be extremely disappointed with) partnered up with Film Roman ("The Simpsons", "King of the Hill") and they've made a Black Panther cartoon for BET.

It was written by Reginald Hudlin, and is supposedly based on his first 6 issues and a little of the Annual.

In honor of this auspicious occasion, and to help prepare anyone that might be able to see some of that Comic-Con animation, I'm going to be going over those comics that are apparently the basis for Hudlin's cartoon.

There are currently 5 parts.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5 (includes a link to the trailer, which is horrible)

Any thought of wanting to see this is gone after getting Hudlin's first arc all in one shot (well, five shots, but you know what I mean) and remembering everything I don't like and then seeing the trailer.

#32 Posted by NightFang (9817 posts) - - Show Bio

sound's good to me.

#33 Edited by G-Man (30310 posts) - - Show Bio

I just posted in the Cup Of Joe news blog about the trailer/feature I saw yesterday.  It looks really cool.  It's basically John Romita Jr's panels come to life.  Lots of blood and violence.  Not for kids.

caption

Staff
#34 Posted by Akira Overdrive (10075 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm horrified at the trailers.

#35 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio
G~man said:
"I just posted in the Cup Of Joe news blog about the trailer/feature I saw yesterday.  It looks really cool.  It's basically John Romita Jr's panels come to life. 

You realy like it? I think it looks bad. I don't like Romita's art to begin with though, so maybe that's why. But I think even if I liked it, it would still be bad. All they did was animate the pages, and that's what it looks like, just paper cutouts. It looks cheap. And that also means that there's nothing new. It's just the same story as the comics, probably word for word too. I can't see anything good about this.
#36 Posted by G-Man (30310 posts) - - Show Bio

It was better than I thought.  Maybe because I dug those old 60s Marvel cartoons where there was virtually no movement.  (Pretty sure just about all the images were lifted from the comics).  Those were kinda all I had to watch.  We didn't have the cool cartoons from the late 80s and 90s.  I thought it looked cool.  As far as JR JR's art.  I haven't always been a fan.  I used to really really not like it.  It has grown on me.  I think I can see how he's grown as an artist and just appreciate his style for being his own.  Take KICK ASS for example.  Would he be my number one choice to draw it?  Probably not but I've been enjoying that comic so much I haven't really given the art a second thought.  With Black Panther, you know it will be faithful to the comic.  I don't think they simply lifting the images here.  I think they're justs using the style of JR JR for the animation.  I don't know if it'll be word for word the same as the comic (I actually didn't read those issues).  Now am I going to watch it?  I have to see if I even have BET at home.  If I do I'll probably try to catch it but I won't make my schedule revolve around it.  I like that they're doing something different.  Marvel's really been mixing things up animation-wise.  They're not doing everything in the same style like DC did with their "animated" adventures, although that's changed with them also.  I think Reggie and Denys will want to do the character justice.

Staff
#37 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I can't argue about taste. On Romita though, I'll agree with Kick Ass, it's is the only thing I've ever liked that had his art.

I know the carton will be faithful to the comics, I just don't think that's a good thing. That's mainly because I didn't like it the first time around, but also because I think it's lazy and won't attract anyone. Are people who already reading BP going to want to watch this if it's the same exact thing again? Maybe (though I've seen plenty of people who won't and I know I won't). Are people who don't know BP or aren't reading the comics going to care? I can't say for sure, but I really don't think so.

I don't think they'll do the character justice since Reggie is already proving otherwise with his writing. It's getting more publicity with the Storm wedding and all the tie-ins/crossovers (I don't think BP, the title character, has had a solid arc or even issue to himself) , promotion and now the cartoon, but the writing quality really isn't that great.

#38 Posted by Siphon (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think the show's going to do that well after seeing that horrible trailer. The animation looks so goofy.

#39 Posted by G-Man (30310 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"Well I can't argue about taste. On Romita though, I'll agree with Kick Ass, it's is the only thing I've ever liked that had his art.

I know the carton will be faithful to the comics, I just don't think that's a good thing. That's mainly because I didn't like it the first time around, but also because I think it's lazy and won't attract anyone. Are people who already reading BP going to want to watch this if it's the same exact thing again? Maybe (though I've seen plenty of people who won't and I know I won't). Are people who don't know BP or aren't reading the comics going to care? I can't say for sure, but I really don't think so.

I don't think they'll do the character justice since Reggie is already proving otherwise with his writing. It's getting more publicity with the Storm wedding and all the tie-ins/crossovers (I don't think BP, the title character, has had a solid arc or even issue to himself) , promotion and now the cartoon, but the writing quality really isn't that great."
At least we found out that Black Panther can take Silver Surfer...
Staff
#40 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

Stop hurting me.

#41 Posted by G-Man (30310 posts) - - Show Bio

Where's that scan at...?

Staff
#42 Posted by CM9 (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww man i wish it was like spider man or fantastic four but they made it look so bad.

#43 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"Okay... Um... when exactly can we expect this Black Panther cartoon to air on BET  ?"

sometime north of 2010 probably

M
#44 Posted by BlackPanther (511 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally really like it. The artwork is unique and it looks more like an animated comic than a normal cartoon, which is what I wanted. I honestly think this will work and if they keep a good story then it will fly. Just for the record, its not a simple cut-out from the comics but it is an animation but using similar seen as the comics and the same artwork. if you look carefully you can see that most of the movements are animated and are done independently of the the way the scene looks in the comics. what they did is have one part of each scene take from the comic but the rest of it is different.

Anyway I'm looking forwards to it.

#45 Edited by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

The animation sucks, so bad. And who is the writer to the recent Black Panther Comics? It's like a moving comic book. And for some reason I don't like it.

#46 Posted by man_of_forever (5908 posts) - - Show Bio

this day just gets worse and worse.

Wow, BET, wtf is wrong with yall?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.