Follow

Black Panther

Character » Black Panther appears in 3341 issues.

T'Challa is the Black Panther, king of Wakanda, one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. He is among the top intellects and martial artists of the world, a veteran Avenger, and a member of the Illuminati. Using his powers and abilities, he has pledged his fortune, powers, and life to the service of all mankind.

Black panther and storm

• 108 results
    grkpektis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By grkpektis

I think the black panther is a great character but I don't like storm that much.  I think he should have married photon (captain marvel) instead.  She is hotter, a lot more powerful and a lot more intresting plus storm is very annoying.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    grkpektis said:
    "I think the black panther is a great character but I don't like storm that much.  I think he should have married photon (captain marvel) instead.  She is hotter, a lot more powerful and a lot more intresting plus storm is very annoying."
    Photon is a nobody..Black Panther is Marvel's only black hero with an ongoing.Storm is the most popular black female superhero in Marvel...Do the Math.
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Swordz81

I agree with you 100% grkpektis!! BP should've married Photon!!  I've brought this suggestion up in other forums as well.  I'm glad someone else sees BP and Photon's connection!!
    BP is a genius strategist and physicist.  A mastermind. I've always felt that BP and Photon would've made a better couple because they would link more on the scientist tip. They seemed to have a better chemistry. Not that Storm isn't intelligent. She's a brilliant mind, but I think she fits more as a Goddess/Leader. I can't help but think that Photon would have challenged BP mentally alittle more. I could definately see BP and Photon on some Cosmic level adventures

But it's too late now BP and Storm are together. Not that I mind them being together, I think they represent Africa to the fullest and will do big things as Marvel's next power couple. They are the definition of true royalty.
    Ororo and T'Challa are great examples of 21st century heroes though, and will have some great adventures.

As for Photon being a nobody, that's strange cause I distinctly remember her being called Captain Marvel and once leading the Avengers. I think Photon is way hotter. Plus Storm has nothing to really brag about right now.  She's yet to have a successful series plus she's getting shitted on by the writers @ Marvel big time. I love Storm but let's keep it real.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Swordz81 said:
    "I agree with you 100% grkpektis!! BP should've married Photon!!  I've brought this suggestion up in other forums as well.  I'm glad someone else sees BP and Photon's connection!!
    BP is a genius strategist and physicist.  A mastermind. I've always felt that BP and Photon would've made a better couple because they would link more on the scientist tip. They seemed to have a better chemistry. Not that Storm isn't intelligent. She's a brilliant mind, but I think she fits more as a Goddess/Leader. I can't help but think that Photon would have challenged BP mentally alittle more. I could definately see BP and Photon on some Cosmic level adventures

But it's too late now BP and Storm are together. Not that I mind them being together, I think they represent Africa to the fullest and will do big things as Marvel's next power couple. They are the definition of true royalty.
    Ororo and T'Challa are great examples of 21st century heroes though, and will have some great adventures.

As for Photon being a nobody, that's strange cause I distinctly remember her being called Captain Marvel and once leading the Avengers. I think Photon is way hotter. Plus Storm has nothing to really brag about right now.  She's yet to have a successful series plus she's getting shitted on by the writers @ Marvel big time. I love Storm but let's keep it real."
    Black Panther marrying Photon would have done nothing for his character.She isn't a very well know character,she's not even African.The Wakandans barely accepted Storm when she first got there.
    No couple and Marvel is 100% compatible.You think Sue and Reed would have been a better couple if they were both geniuses? No..that would be lame.Reed is a nerd..two nerds=lame story line. Black Panther doesn't need to be on any cosmic adventures...he's a warrior.Cosmic adventures are lame.

Photon is a nobody..she hasn't had a solo series since what 1989..somewhere in that ballpark? I don't remember her ever leading the Avengers..maybe the West Coast Avengers...I couldn't see any Avengers taking orders from a Newcomer especially Thor and Iron Man.Saying Photon is way hotter is complete ridiculous because it's not true and on top of it she is a comic character so she is only as hot as the artist makes her.Yea Storm never had a successful series but neither did Monica...I don't know what your talking about that Storm is getting sh#tted on..but when was the last time you say Photon? Civil War? C'mon.
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Swordz81

She isn't a very well know character,she's not even African?
    Black Panther doesn't need to to be on any cosmic adventures?
    Two nerds=lame storyline?
    Cosmic Adventures are lame?
    Photon is a nobody?
    I couldn't see any Avengers taking orders from a newcomer?...

and the list goes on...

For a comic book reader Your one-sidedness amazes me...

and this line>>>"saying Photon is way hotter is complete ridiculous because it's not true and on top of it she is a comic character so she is only as hot as the artist makes her" .....wow

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Erik

I think they have done a great job with Storm. Her character developement during her decision to marry Black Panther was for me, an awesome read. And ever since then reading Storm has been great.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Erik

Photon is a nobody. I love the Avengers and I had to look her up just to remember who you guys were talking about. Lol.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Swordz81 said:
    "She isn't a very well know character,she's not even African?
    Photon is a nobody?

and the list goes on...

and this line>>>"saying Photon is way hotter is complete ridiculous because it's not true and on top of it she is a comic character so she is only as hot as the artist makes her" .....wow"
    Is something wrong with you with you?
    Yes...Photon is only as hot as the artist makes here...that's common f#ckin sense.She-Hulk is usually drawn pretty hot and curvy,other times she looks like trash.Same with Storm...almost always with Photon.Artisit don't care about Photon just like the don't care about Misty Knight so the usually just look like some random black chick.Your acting like these two women are real and they can are born looking how they look...you know that's not the case.

One-sidedness? WTF are you talking about? I'm one-sided because I see things the way they are,rather than living in some fantasy world where characters nobody gives a sh#t about get some PT?

Storm and Monica Rambeau are not comparible in anyway except in power...but because of Marvel's love of her they would probably let Storm win if they fought.The let her damage Emma in her diamond form with a bundle of straw and harm Dark Phoenix with wind.
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Swordz81
    Vance Astro said:
    "Swordz81 said:
    Photon is a nobody?

and the list goes on...

and this line>>>"saying Photon is way hotter is complete ridiculous because it's not true and on top of it she is a comic character so she is only as hot as the artist makes her" .....wow"
    Yes...Photon is only as hot as the artist makes here...that's common f#ckin sense.She-Hulk is usually drawn pretty hot and curvy,other times she looks like trash.Same with Storm...almost always with Photon.Artisit don't care about Photon just like the don't care about Misty Knight so the usually just look like some random black chick.Your acting like these two women are real and they can are born looking how they look...you know that's not the case.

One-sidedness? WTF are you talking about? I'm one-sided because I see things the way they are,rather than living in some fantasy world where characters nobody gives a sh#t about get some PT?

Storm and Monica Rambeau are not comparible in anyway except in power...but because of Marvel's love of her they would probably let Storm win if they fought.The let her damage Emma in her diamond form with a bundle of straw and harm Dark Phoenix with wind.
    "
    okay dude whatever you say. You're right.  You just totally convinced me of the illogic in my thinking. I should never have questioned your onesidedness. I agree that you are right and I was totally wrong.
    haha seriously you ignorant fuck...grow up and expand your mind

"Artisit don't care about Photon just like the don't care about Misty Knight so the usually just look like some random black chick." - Just this one sentence reveals your idiocy.
    Comic images are drawn by artists, you are correct. But how the viewer sees the character lies within his/her own mind. To some, Photon is more attractive,more intelligent than Storm. It's called having a point of view. Art isn't the only component of a great comic book. The story matters also. I don't know if you know this, but comic books ARE written.

"One-sidedness? WTF are you talking about? I'm one-sided because I see things the way they are"....so i take it you don't know what one-sided means
    "rather than living in some fantasy world where characters nobody gives a sh#t about get some PT?"....NEWSFLASH genius, we're talking about comics

Just because a reader doesn't remember a character or if a person has to "look a character up" doesn't mean that that character doesn't exist within a universe. Specifically Photon.
    Black Panther, Photon (CAPTAIN MARVEL) and Storm all exist within the same universe. Black Panther even conversed with Photon while she was assisting in rebuilding New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Just because you don't hear or see a character alot doesn't mean that they aren't powerful.
    I think Photon's powers are much more dynamic.
    You can't deny physics.
    Photon is extremely powerful.

And let's not act like Storm is Marvel's golden girl. Yes she is respected, but lately she's been getting no love. No Ongoing series, No leading of her own team, No love from Marvel editors. Face it. If she was best believe she'd have her own title, or her own team.
    Avatar image for sovereign_vance
    Sovereign Vance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Sovereign Vance
    Swordz81 said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Swordz81 said:
    Photon is a nobody?

and the list goes on...

"
    okay dude whatever you say. You're right.  You just totally convinced me of the illogic in my thinking. I should never have questioned your onesidedness. I agree that you are right and I was totally wrong. haha
    seriously you ignorant fuck...grow up and expand your mind
    "Artisit don't care about Photon just like the don't care about Misty Knight so the usually just look like some random black chick." - Just this one sentence reveals your idiocy.
     I won't respond anymore or else I'll lose another 10000 brain cells from conversing with you
    "
    Yea ok..I'm in idiot because I chose to believe that an artist dictates the way a COMIC BOOK CHARACTER looks?
    I should grow up and expand my mind because Storm and T'Challa have been married since what '06? And people are still on it?
    I don't know what my opinion has to do with my growing up or Monica Rambeau's lacking fanbase.
    Marvel obviously doesn't give a f#ck about her...

No matter whether you respond or you don't..you lost.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By King_Saturn
    Hmmm...I dont see anything wrong with the Black Panther and Storm relationship
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Swordz81

You say "do the math"
    Why do don't you do the same>>>use your brain,utilize COMICVINE's comic book search engine and look up Photon.
    As a black comic reader I keep up with Marvel's black superhero roster. There's a lack of mainstream black superheroes, Black Panther being #1 in my opinion. Seeing as you probably don't give a shit, research Photon and see if she's powerful enough to rival Storm.
    the main point: Just because Storm is the most popular black female in Marvel Universe, doesn't mean BP HAD to marry her.

Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Swordz81

I see nothing wrong with BP and Storm's relationship either. I think they'll be Marvel's next premiere power couple.
    I just think Photon would have been a better choice.

Sovereign Vance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sovereign Vance
    Swordz81 said:
    "You say "do the math"
    Why do don't you do the same>>>use your brain,utilize COMICVINE's comic book search engine and look up Photon.
    As a black comic reader I keep up with Marvel's black superhero roster. There's a lack of mainstream black superheroes, Black Panther being #1 in my opinion. Seeing as you probably don't give a shit, research Photon and see if she's powerful enough to rival Storm.
    the main point: Just because Storm is the most popular black female in Marvel Universe, doesn't mean BP HAD to marry her."
    Why do don't I do the same? Read that to yourself and tell me if that makes any sense.
    I know who Photon is..I happened to have been reading Avengers for most of my life.
    You say as a black reader as if I'm not black.I honestly don't give a sh#t who is black and who is not....to even bother caring about black superheroes rather than heroes themselves is a waste of time...Comics is an industry dominated by white people and aimed at white people.The fact we have any black superheroes that are actually worth reading up on is good enough for me.I don't particularly care about the race of a character.The stories written about them is what I'm after.

Your right..Black Panther didn't have to marry Storm because she's more popular than Photon...but that's why it happened.I think Storm is a perfect fit for him,that's my opinion and in your opinion is that Photon is a better fit....you entitled to your opinion but it was starting to look like you were comparing Photon to Storm in terms of who is a better character...not who was best for Black Panther.
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Swordz81

i agree, we both have our opinions cool. As far as BP and Storm getting married, I'm always down for them. They're true royalty. Since it was such a sudden marriage because Hudlin sprung it on us so fast, I'd rather it have been Photon. I felt that the marriage of Storm and BP should have had alot more royal ceremony and more significance. Maybe I'm just pissed Hudlin had a great opportunity to make their marriage a full blown Marvel spectacular event but ended up making it mediocre. I know these are fictional characters, but I felt they deserved more. oh well
    I'm also pissed because Storm's been around for 30 years and should receive the same treatment as Wonder Woman in the DC universe but she doesn't. I think she's wasting her time going back and forth between the Astonishing X-Men and Wakanda. BP and Storm need to form a new supergroup tackling world wide issues.

Sovereign Vance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sovereign Vance
    Swordz81 said:
    "i agree, we both have our opinions cool. As far as BP and Storm getting married, I'm always down for them. They're true royalty. Since it was such a sudden marriage because Hudlin sprung it on us so fast, I'd rather it have been Photon. I felt that the marriage of Storm and BP should have had alot more royal ceremony and more significance. Maybe I'm just pissed Hudlin had a great opportunity to make their marriage a full blown Marvel spectacular event but ended up making it mediocre. I know these are fictional characters, but I felt they deserved more. oh well
    I'm also pissed because Storm's been around for 30 years and should receive the same treatment as Wonder Woman in the DC universe but she doesn't. I think she's wasting her time going back and forth between the Astonishing X-Men and Wakanda. BP and Storm need to form a new supergroup tackling world wide issues."
    I'm pissed at everything Hudlin does.Did you read the comic where Black Panther and Storm got married? Anyone could have written that trash.Storm will never receive the same treatment as Wonder Woman.She's not Marvel's premier female character...Ms.Marvel is.
    Either way she's not going to be very significant.When she's with Black Panther..he treats her like a sidekick and when she's with X-men she doesn't do anything....

Marvel should have given her a solo before she got married to Black Panther.

Hudlin is extremely pro-black and pro-africa so Black Panther marrying Storm was to be expected.
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Swordz81

I don't see it as BP treating her that way. I mean I know that's how it's written but I read the previous volumes of BP and T'Challa is the most loyal comrade you can have. I just ignore Hudlin's arc as if it doesn't exist. Jason Aaron was such a breath of fresh air.

I think Storm SHOULD be Marvel's premiere female hero.

I'm pro-black and pro-africa, hell fuckin yeah. Black Panther and Storm are both pro-black and pro-Africa as well, how could they not be.  Hudlin just lacks vision and can't tell a story worth shit.

I also think just because the comics industry is written for white people by white people, doesn't excuse the lack of black or ethnic characters. If a character isn't worth reading then why put them in comics? People from all races read comics, and comics should reflect that. When I take my kid out to get an action figure and find no black heroes, it's very frustrating and it's bullshit.
    It's like fanboys think only white people can save the world.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Erik
    Swordz81 said:
    "I don't see it as BP treating her that way. I mean I know that's how it's written but I read the previous volumes of BP and T'Challa is the most loyal comrade you can have. I just ignore Hudlin's arc as if it doesn't exist. Jason Aaron was such a breath of fresh air.

I think Storm SHOULD be Marvel's premiere female hero.

I'm pro-black and pro-africa, hell fuckin yeah. Black Panther and Storm are both pro-black and pro-Africa as well, how could they not be.  Hudlin just lacks vision and can't tell a story worth shit.

I also think just because the comics industry is written for white people by white people, doesn't excuse the lack of black or ethnic characters. If a character isn't worth reading then why put them in comics? People from all races read comics, and comics should reflect that. When I take my kid out to get an action figure and find no black heroes, it's very frustrating and it's bullshit.
    It's like fanboys think only white people can save the world."
    I don't know about that. Luke Cage is always an awesome character to read. I agree with Vance. I don't really care about what color a super hero is either. I think to dwell on it is just a waste of time. How many Native American heroes are there? It doesn't really matter to me and I am Native American. Also, Ms. Marvel is and should be Marvel's premier female character based on what has been written for her. It kind of seems like you think Storm should be just because she is the most popular black female in Marvel. If that is the case then I disagree with you very much on that.
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Swordz81

The greatness of America. We can all disagree
    I think they're should be more prominent native american, asian, black characters etc. I think it should reflect the readers. I don't think Storm should be the premier female, because she's black. I think it's because she's a true leader and she's earned it.

Race is a big issue in the world. It's at the core of the current presidential race.  Believe it or not, it's also needs to be dealt with in comics because they're are alot of readers who'd like to see mainstream characters of ethnicity. Why ignore it like it doesn't exist? Because it makes people uncomfortable. Readers want to escape into a universe (Marvel) where color doesn't matter, and that's all good. We ALL want to escape. But when the world you escape too still ignores you then that world isn't worth escaping to. Come on, can you really get mad at a person who wants to see themselves represented more in comics? O r should they turn the other cheek and act like it doesn't exist. Don't you feel you need to be heard when you're concerns aren't being met? If so then you can understand where i'm coming from. If not, then you really do think you live in the world of fantasy.

Just because someone doesn't care what color a superhero is doesn't mean that diversity is not needed. We need more women writers and creators, more gay and lesbian writers and creators etc. Diversity is vital if we wanna get through the 21st century without killing each other.

I think Hudlin built the current BP arc on superficial race issues without tactfully approaching issues and engaging readers. That's why he sucks. Like I said, I want to be able to take my kids to a movie or buy an action figure of color, without leaving frustrated . My kid loves action figures and has many that are white. I love it because he loves superheroes but it bothers me thta 2 out of his 30 are black and the rest white. If it was the other way around, I could totally see a parent getting frustrated because all they're kids action figures were black and only 1 or 2 was white.  Say what you will but People act totally different when the tables are turned. If you're Native American and you don't see yourself represented then maybe you should be a voice in getting more native american heroes to shine.

Superheroes of today are modern mythological symbols. We look to these heroes as role models and as models of morality. What does it tell the kids of color who see all the characters/symbols being depicted as something they're not. Major mindfuck and the media just fuels it.
    You may not want to face it but the major players= Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America are all white males.
    And fanboys still think that's all good and we have diversity. Spare me the bullshit...

main point= the superhero industry needs balance.

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20  Edited By Meteorite

Storm has history with BP from when they were kids...

Sovereign Vance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sovereign Vance
    Swordz81 said:
    "The greatness of America. We can all disagree
    I think they're should be more prominent native american, asian, black characters etc. I think it should reflect the readers. I don't think Storm should be the premier female, because she's black. I think it's because she's a true leader and she's earned it.

Race is a big issue in the world. It's at the core of the current presidential race.  Believe it or not, it's also needs to be dealt with in comics because they're are alot of readers who'd like to see mainstream characters of ethnicity. Why ignore it like it doesn't exist? Because it makes people uncomfortable. Readers want to escape into a universe (Marvel) where color doesn't matter, and that's all good. We ALL want to escape. But when the world you escape too still ignores you then that world isn't worth escaping to. Come on, can you really get mad at a person who wants to see themselves represented more in comics? O r should they turn the other cheek and act like it doesn't exist. Don't you feel you need to be heard when you're concerns aren't being met? If so then you can understand where i'm coming from. If not, then you really do think you live in the world of fantasy.

Just because someone doesn't care what color a superhero is doesn't mean that diversity is not needed. We need more women writers and creators, more gay and lesbian writers and creators etc. Diversity is vital if we wanna get through the 21st century without killing each other.

I think Hudlin built the current BP arc on superficial race issues without tactfully approaching issues and engaging readers. That's why he sucks. Like I said, I want to be able to take my kids to a movie or buy an action figure of color, without leaving frustrated . My kid loves action figures and has many that are white. I love it because he loves superheroes but it bothers me thta 2 out of his 30 are black and the rest white. If it was the other way around, I could totally see a parent getting frustrated because all they're kids action figures were black and only 1 or 2 was white.  Say what you will but People act totally different when the tables are turned. If you're Native American and you don't see yourself represented then maybe you should be a voice in getting more native american heroes to shine.

Superheroes of today are modern mythological symbols. We look to these heroes as role models and as models of morality. What does it tell the kids of color who see all the characters/symbols being depicted as something they're not. Major mindfuck and the media just fuels it.
    You may not want to face it but the major players= Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America are all white males.
    And fanboys still think that's all good and we have diversity. Spare me the bullshit...

main point= the superhero industry needs balance."
    Well this is your problem...you need more natives,blacks,and hispanics reading comic books. The characters are the way they are because the writers and artist know their fanbase.You will never be able to replace Storm with Ms.Marvel or She-Hulk...Storm has to much class and poise to do some of the things they are popular for.She also doesn't have ridiculously hug boobs...(yes male comicbook readers actually care).
    Race is a big issue in the world and they address race issues in comics.I don't know what comics you have been reading but anyone who has been reading X-men can tell you Marvel never dismisses race or pretends that there aren't race issues in the world.Marvel and DC (of all companies) have created stories involving race many times.Iron Man and War Machine have had race issues,the Falcon has dealt with racism,even Ghost Rider has dealt with racism.

I'm not mad at you for wanting more characters that as a black person you can identify with...but I can educate you on why it is the way it is.Marvel is not racist.Marvel isn't trying to deprive you of black characters...but it is probably hard for a bunch of white men to create believable black characters.This is why Hudlin's run on Black Panther pisses me off.The one chance we get a black man to actually speak for us and show comic readers a black perspective...he f#cks it all up with this pro-black BS.I love being black and all...but get to the damn comic.I'm tired of him always trying to make black people look superior to everyone and everything.I'm not knockin my own people but damn.Can T'Challa have some dialouge that isn't completely arrogant when he's not talking to Storm....

I also think you should go on google and look at some of the black heroes we have....Some of them look completely ridiculous...let's face it..Black people aren't daring enough to want to be superheroes (for the most part) and we look ridiculous in these costumes.I think that's why Luke Cage just wears regular clothes now because unless your a female...A black character just isn't going to look right in some tights.

Yes..all of the major heroes are white...this is America..comics were created in the 30's..they were geared towards whites then and they are geared toward them now.If you don't like it..I guess you will have to get more black people to read comics.Maybe if more of us actually cared...we could do something about it.Maybe if more of use wanted to write or do the art for comics...maybe we could change something.

main point=As long as the comics industry is dominate by whites,as long as majority of the readers are white,there will never be balance.Honestly even if it was the other way around..we might get more black heroes but never equal to the amount of white heroes.Thank America's history for that.
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Swordz81

I agree with you on some points: Hudlin is corny and did fuck up BP..and he does try to act like BP is without faults and black people are superior to everyone. That shit is annoying and shows no creativity or vision

As far as you educating me, you're telling me shit I already know. Go on google? are you kidding? I research all black heroes. Take a look at my gallery and I'm sure you'll see some heroes you've never fuckin seen. Take out your willie lynch chip.

It seems like you gotta complex. Like you are actually comfortable with the state of black heroes in the idustry.
    "Black people aren't daring enough to want to be superheroes? and we look ridiculous in these costumes?"
    You seem like you got issues with being pro black.  Seems like you're the one who needs a little education .
    "We'll never equal to the amount of white heroes?" You need to unbrainwash yourself and analyze your conditioning.
     "A black character isn't going to look right in some tights." That's just retarded. You need to unlearn everything you've learned.

I've been reading comics for a long time. Seen alot of stupid costumes and alot of fucked up attitudes. But you're statements make me realize that you've got alot to learn when it comes to the struggle and how black people've been affected by this nation and the media.

And you're statement that white men can't create believable black characters is bullshit. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created Black Panther. The first modern black superhero, so your argument is weak right there. White men created Storm. White men created Luke Cage. White men created Falcon. White men created War Machine. Blade.  And if you've been readin comics you'd know that Jason Aaron, a white guy, just wrote the secret invasion tie in for Black Panther.

get your head checked

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Erik
    Swordz81 said:

You make some strong points. Those super heroes listed above are written for the majority of comic book buyers though. I would be pissed if all of a sudden, they changed Wolverine who is one of my favorite characters, to a Native American. I would feel like they just changed it to be politically correct and to appease the hyper sensitive people of today. Frankly to me it just doesn't matter very much. My daughter has lots of dolls, most of them are white. That doesn't mean she has less of a sense of who she is or less knowledge of her heritage. That is all I really care about. If my baby wants a white doll, I'm not gonna buy her a colored doll because I think she should only play with dolls her color. That is backwards and in my opinion makes me worse than the people that who make super heroes white.
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Swordz81
    erik said:
    "Swordz81 said:

You make some strong points. Those super heroes listed above are written for the majority of comic book buyers though. I would be pissed if all of a sudden, they changed Wolverine who is one of my favorite characters, to a Native American. I would feel like they just changed it to be politically correct and to appease the hyper sensitive people of today. Frankly to me it just doesn't matter very much. My daughter has lots of dolls, most of them are white. That doesn't mean she has less of a sense of who she is or less knowledge of her heritage. That is all I really care about. If my baby wants a white doll, I'm not gonna buy her a colored doll because I think she should only play with dolls her color. That is backwards and in my opinion makes me worse than the people that who make super heroes white."
    But maybe it should matter to you. Not because you want your daughter to grow up biased against white people, but you want her to have a positive sense of heritage. I mean why do you think young girls like dolls? Because they identify with them. They care for them and see themselves in them. That's a fact. Native Americans are in a similar position to black people and hispanic people, because we've been treated as second class citizens and we've been told that the standard of beauty is eastern western European. And that shit just ain't true. There's nothing wrong with you're daughter having white dolls. My kid is nutz about Naruto and his his action figures. But I'd be remiss if I didn't expose him to heroes that represented him.
    Sovereign Vance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sovereign Vance
    Swordz81 said:
    "I agree with you on some points: Hudlin is corny and did fuck up BP..and he does try to act like BP is without faults and black people are superior to everyone. That shit is annoying and shows no creativity or vision

As far as you educating me, you're telling me shit I already know. Go on google? are you kidding? I research all black heroes. Take a look at my gallery and I'm sure you'll see some heroes you've never fuckin seen. Take out your willie lynch chip.

It seems like you gotta complex. Like you are actually comfortable with the state of black heroes in the idustry. "Black people aren't daring enough to want to be superheroes? and we look ridiculous in these costumes?" You seem like you got issues with being pro black. Seems like you're the one who needs a little education . "We'll never equal to the amount of white heroes?" You need to unbrainwash yourself and analyze your conditioning. "A black character isn't going to look right in some tights." You need to unlearn everything you've learned.

I've been reading comics for a long time. Seen alot of stupid costumes and alot of fucked up attitudes. But you're statements make me realize that you've got alot to learn when it comes to the struggle and how black people've been affected by this nation and the media.

And you're statement that white men can't create believable black characters is bullshit. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created Black Panther. The first modern black superhero, so your argument is weak right there. White men created Storm. White men created Luke Cage. White men created Falcon. White men created War Machine. Blade.  And if you're doing your homework you'd know that Jason Aaron, a white guy, just wrote the secret invasion tie in for Black Panther.

get your head checked"
    Why are you getting so defensive.I don't know what you know..I don't even know you.I'm sure there isn't any black heroes you can name or you can show me I haven't seen.
    I don't have a complex.I for one think alot of black people unless they were given powers would not be superheroes.Street level heroes like Battlestar,Night Thrasher,Bandit,Misty Knight etc...you honestly think that we would bother? Being a superhero is a step far above being a cop...you really think without powers any of us would risk our neck to save others even if they showed no gratitude? By the way..sit there an act like Battlestar doesn't look stupid and that damn costume lol.

I don't need you to educate me..nor am I against my own people.I'm giving you common sense,i'm not brainwashed.You honestly think that in a industry dominated by white people...there is actually going to be an equal amount of characters of every race? Be real...You know what else is dominated by white people...Video games...how many black video games characters do we have to be proud of?

Now your going to sit there and tell me that white men can create believable Black characters just because it was done a few times? Now let's take Luke Cage for instance...Do you remember some of his old dialouge..complete blackploitation.Even now he's the token...trying to get off on every black stereotype.Does he like fried chicken? Hell yea,does he go with the trends that are cool to black people? Yea...remember when people started getting cornrows? Guess what..so did Cage.Remember when Afros were in...he had one of those too.

It's not hard for anyone to right for Storm,War Machine,Blade,Falcon...but it only goes so far.We can't identify with any of these characters....Do you know anyone who was born a thief in Africa? Do you know anybody whose best friend sells high tech weaponry to the military? Do you know any damn Vampires? You know any black people with a fascination with birds? Of course not...these aren't the every day black people we see who just so happened to get some powers.Let's see Marvel right a black character that we can actually believe...a Spider-Man type.An ordinary black kid who somehow gets some power and now he wants to fight crime.My argument isn't weak it's spot on...Marvel will never do what I just said because it's impossible for someone who is not black to understand what it means and how it feels to be black..and Hudlin is worthless so you can't count on him to do it.
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Swordz81

Look obviously we have differences but I think your blinded. The fact you think that black people wouldn't bother to save their own kind is testament to the fact you don't know you're history. Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglas, Marcus Garvey, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X , Assata Shakur, and currently BARACK OBAMA all championed the fight for black people and minorities  freedom. You don't think they'd be superheroes if they were in the respective universes?(MARVEL/DC)

Not to mention the fact that STAN LEE said it himself he based Professor X and Magneto after Martin Luther King and Malcolm X during the civil rights movement.
    It really fuckin saddens me when the exact people that these civil rights heroes DIED for, are blinded by media and their own fears and ignorance. I MEAN WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF A HERO? Someone who looks good in tights? Spare me the bullshit. Keep it to yourself.

To think that YOU think that black people don't have the courage to be heroes or to stand for what's right, but you applaud White people or think that they have the convictions to be heroes are the same people who tormented and enslaved your own people to this day. That's the truth

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Erik

Maybe I just don't care because where I grew up, racism just wasn't as rampant as some people make it seem to be. I am, as I said before a Native American, my adopted brother is Black and gay, and my parents were an interracial couple. I didn't even see racism first hand until we moved to Utah. Lol.

Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Swordz81

You were blessed and fortunate not to experience it, but America is known the world over for being a cauldron of racist mentality. To think that racism isn't rampant is a delusion.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Erik

Again, I see your point. But I really just think it is a hyper sensitivity problem a lot in America. I don't earn less than a white man at my job. In fact, I deal more with reverse racism than actual racism in todays world. White people are afraid to say red skin or scalping jokes around me and I just really don't care. My baby's mama is mexican and she makes more money than the previous white lady did in her position. Now she is still earning less because she is a woman, so as far as women's rights go...

I also noticed that it was said that the presidential election is a race issue. I don't know if you are aware of this but Obama was ahead in the race. I think it is only a race issue for the people that make it a race issue. A Black man is ahead of a White man in the election, is that racist? You will find racism in just about any country you go to by the way. Have you been to Mexico? White boys aren't very popular there. 

rbysjti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rbysjti

I don't like BP but I don't like BP as Storm's husband.

Storm and Wolverine forever!!!

rbysjti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rbysjti

I don't like BP but I don't like BP as Storm's husband.

Storm and Wolverine forever!!!

Sovereign Vance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sovereign Vance
    Swordz81 said:
    "Look obviously we have differences but I think your blinded. The fact you think that black people wouldn't bother to save their own kind is testament to the fact you don't know you're history. Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglas, Marcus Garvey, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X , Assata Shakur, and currently BARACK OBAMA all championed the fight for black people and minorities  freedom. You don't think they'd be superheroes if they were in the respective universes?(MARVEL/DC)

Not to mention the fact that STAN LEE said it himself he based Professor X and Magneto after Martin Luther King and Malcolm X during the civil rights movement.
    It really fuckin saddens me when the exact people that these civil rights heroes DIED for, are blinded by media and their own fears and ignorance. I MEAN WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF A HERO? Someone who looks good in tights? Spare me the bullshit. Keep it to yourself.

To think that YOU think that black people don't have the courage to be heroes or to stand for what's right, but you applaud White people or think that they have the convictions to be heroes are the same people who tormented and enslaved your own people to this day. That's the truth"
    Let me break this down to you because it seems like you are not getting what i'm saying.....
    Fact:The Majortiy of comic book writers and artist are white
    Fact:The Majority of people who read comics are white

Conclusion:Most superheroes are white because the writers are trying to make characters..their readers can identify with...that singles us out.

You cannot deny this..it's absolute fact.

I never said Black people wouldn't save their own kind.I said they wouldn't save anyone.When I said safe I meant in situations superheroes have to deal with.Did anyone you just named have to take down any super villians? Did black people disregard what Martin was trying to do for us and show him zero respect for what he was doing..yet he kept doing it? Did Marcus Garvey ever have to fight an admantium robot? No those people wouldn't be f#ckin superheroes in DC or Marvel...they aren't SUPER..they are heroes and what they did for us exceptional by realistic standards but this is comics were talking about...

WTF are you talking about with all this Civil Rights sh#t? None of it has to do with what were talking about.Who gives a sh#t who Stan Lee based Xavier and Magnus on...Stan Lee is not writing comics anymore.

You know what saddens me that your acting like I am a disgrace to my people because I except that a industry dominated by white people caters to white people...it makes perfect f#ckin sense.Fear & Ignorance..You expect white people to attempt to appease a group of people who barely read their books..but i'm ignorant.Your like the female who b#tches about there not being enough games geared toward females when she f#ckin knows females don't play video games...They are the minority therefore the industry targets the majority.

I never said Black people don't have the courage to be heroes..I said they wouldn't be superheroes.I don't know any n#gga in there right mind who would keep saving people only to get treated like Spider-Man..like nothing you do is worth sh#t.Even though you just put you @ss on the line to save them.I'm not saying White people are more courageous than us..they are just more willing to put their lives on the line for other people...

Sovereign Vance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sovereign Vance

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Erik

I would be ok with the jokes because I can laugh at race jokes about other races. It would be hypocrisy otherwise. Are you gonna tell me that when a Black comedian makes a race joke about a White man, you don't laugh? If a White man can't make a race joke, neither should anyone else. Race jokes are very popular with comedians. We still laugh, they still use them.

Sovereign Vance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sovereign Vance
    erik said:
    "I would be ok with the jokes because I can laugh at race jokes about other races. It would be hypocrisy otherwise. Are you gonna tell me that when a Black comedian makes a race joke about a White man, you don't laugh? If a White man can't make a race joke, neither should anyone else. Race jokes are very popular with comedians. We still laugh, they still use them."
    I agree with this.
    Avatar image for president_stark
    President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By President Stark

I find it weird how someone is basically being called a sell out for excepting the fact that an industry such as comics...the writers and creators actually bother to make their product appeal to their readers (almost all of which happen to be white) what is this world coming to when companies refuse to make a balanced number of characters of different races despite the lack of readers of those races...I mean,damn I thought Microsoft was bad when the made all those games geared toward males in their mid 20's..they should be trying to please everyone...not just that large chunk of people who actually give a damn about their product.....

rollseyes
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Erik
    President Stark said:
    "I find it weird how someone is basically being called a sell out for excepting the fact that an industry such as comics...the writers and creators actually bother to make their product appeal to their readers (almost all of which happen to be white) what is this world coming to when companies refuse to make a balanced number of characters of different races despite the lack of readers of those races...I mean,damn I thought Microsoft was bad when the made all those games geared toward males in their mid 20's..they should be trying to please everyone...not just that large chunk of people who actually give a damn about their product.....
    rollseyes
    "
    Lol.
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Swordz81

sovereign= I just think you're perspective is a little skewed. It's a fact that white men created these characters in the Marvel Universe. I respect Jack Kirby for creating Black Panther and putting his heart and soul into the BP series of the 70's when he didn't have to. He made T'Challa a top notch hero regardless of Race. It's a fact that you don't have to be of a certain race, to make poignant and creative characters, you just have to SEE it from their perspective. Most writers aren't incapable of doing this, they just CHOOSE not to. I don't think you're a disgrace, I just think many of your viewpoints are token. plain and simple

President Stark= you're sarcasm mirrors Tony Stark alot, but I think you're viewpoint is as jaded as his is. I believe the point of comics is to innovate, push boundaries and to break down barriers. Maybe the major comic companies SHOULD try to gain readers in other cultures and lifestyles. To be something more than a fanboys club. On top of that, if you try to market your product to different people, example= the hip hop community. That's just more money to be made. Roll your eyes if you must, but don't doesn't stop the fact that these companies should take a deeper look into why they do what they do. And how big they want their product to be. Do you really think the Dark Knight, Iron Man and the Hulk made money just off of fanboys? Please. If you don't know, the black community in particular has always loved comics. Many don't buy because WE ARE LARGELY IGNORED.

Erik= everything might be jokes and games and LOL to you, but when true racism looks you dead in the face one day, you'll lose the smirk and get a dose of reality. Minorities including black people, native americans, hispanics are at the bottom of the totum pole. No pun intended

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Erik

Swordz81 said:

"dude, WHY would it be okay for white people to say redskin or scalping jokes?? they should be ashamed of even thinking those slurs. They should respect your heritage and be aware of the  trials and tribulations your people have had to go thru.
    Your argument seems like a cop out. It's not about who makes more or how much money your wife makes. It's about teaching yourself and your kids a regard for their heritage. Your apathy towards being called those names, "not really caring" will prove detrimental to you in the future if you don't wipe away this carelessness. What about your kids? are you gonna teach them to turn the other cheek as well? what about our next generation?

At the core of the presidential race is the issue of race. It's not the only factor but a main one which has cause lots of controversy. Don't feed into the lies that the media feeds us. Racism isn't real or the world's gotten over racism. It still exists. If you've never experienced racism, your fortunate, but with the diversity of your family you will run into it. You gotta break outta that bubble"

To that I say:

erik said:

"I would be ok with the jokes because I can laugh at race jokes about other races. It would be hypocrisy otherwise. Are you gonna tell me that when a Black comedian makes a race joke about a White man, you don't laugh? If a White man can't make a race joke, neither should anyone else. Race jokes are very popular with comedians. We still laugh, they still use them."

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    President Stark said:
    "I find it weird how someone is basically being called a sell out for excepting the fact that an industry such as comics...the writers and creators actually bother to make their product appeal to their readers (almost all of which happen to be white) what is this world coming to when companies refuse to make a balanced number of characters of different races despite the lack of readers of those races...I mean,damn I thought Microsoft was bad when the made all those games geared toward males in their mid 20's..they should be trying to please everyone...not just that large chunk of people who actually give a damn about their product.....
    rollseyes
    "
    No Swordz is right...they should have more black superheroes for the f#ck of it.The majority of us don't read comics but Marvel should try to cater us anyway.
    rollseyes
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Erik

I never said it doesn't exist. I think that it is not as severe as you would lead me to believe. I think racism is just as bad in America as anywhere else. I said that I didn't experience it growing up. Not that I have never experienced it. It's not a bubble to enjoy the benefits of a completly diverse family. Not at all. In fact, I think it gives me a better perspective than the Joe Blow that was brought up to hate Whitey.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Erik
    Vance Astro said:
    "President Stark said:
    rollseyes
    "
    No Swordz is right...they should have more black superheroes for the f#ck of it.The majority of us don't read comics but Marvel should try to cater us anyway.
    rollseyes
    "
    Lol.
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Swordz81

Why do corporations get so big? because they DO cater to everyone. McDonalds, Microsoft, Best Buy, APPLE.
    You guys need to drop your arrogance and open your minds. Not just your wallets

Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Swordz81

vance astro:
    "No Swordz is right...they should have more black superheroes for the f#ck of it.The majority of us don't read comics but Marvel should try to cater us anyway.

rollseyes"

another token response
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Erik
    Swordz81 said:
    "Why do corporations get so big? because they DO cater to everyone. McDonalds, Microsoft, Best Buy, APPLE.
    You guys need to drop your arrogance and open your minds. Not just your wallets"
    Do you know anyone that would pick up comics if they added more black super heroes? That is a sad reason to buy a comic in my opinion. I don't want people with that mentality dictating what happens with the comics I read. The story matters more than the color of the character. That is just the simple answer of it all.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Swordz81 said:
    "Why do corporations get so big? because they DO cater to everyone. McDonalds, Microsoft, Best Buy, APPLE.
    You guys need to drop your arrogance and open your minds. Not just your wallets"
    Don't be f#ckin retarded.McDonalds makes food @sshole...everyone needs to eat don't they? Microsoft makes windows..It's an operating system..a generic product..more than half of all computers COME WITH IT.Best Buy and Apple don't cater to sh#t...they sell generic products we all want or need.
    Who the f#ck is arrogant? Besides you? I think it's arrogant to want someone to make characters in stories they are writing to please black people...yet,SOOOOOOOO many black people don't read comic books.How much f#ckin sense does that make? The same cannot be said for these other corportations....Do black people not eat hamburgers and fries? Do black people not use computers? Do black people not have some type of electronic equipment in their homes? Do black people not watch DVD's and listen to music.

Your starting to piss me the f#ck off.
    Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Swordz81

It's not just black superheroes it's all minorities that should be shown more and portrayed more accurately. Especially when these comic companies pride themselves on bringing a sense of realism to this new era in comics.
    People wouldn't pick them up just because they see a black face. They'd pick up the comic because they'd feel like the creators actually could see thru their eyes and portray them accurately. How many white people would pick up comics if 99% of comics were all about black heroes. Keep it real
    You guys don't have to agree with me, so enjoy yourself and laugh to yourself. But nothing stays the same, and best believe even comics can change. And they will change one day to reflect the times

Swordz81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Swordz81

vance astro I think you're pissing yourself off because you know what I said is true. Learn your history. Unbrainwash yourself and open your mind. Don't be the token character in the comic of life

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Swordz81 said:
    "It's not just black superheroes it's all minorities that should be shown more and portrayed more accurately. Especially when these comic companies pride themselves on bringing a sense of realism to this new era in comics.
    People wouldn't pick them up just because they see a black face. They'd pick up the comic because they'd feel like the creators actually could see thru their eyes and portray them accurately. How many white people would pick up comics if 99% of comics were all about black heroes. Keep it real
    You guys don't have to agree with me, so enjoy yourself and laugh to yourself. But nothing stays the same, and best believe even comics can change. And they will change one day to reflect the times"
    And again...If more black people,asian people,hispanic people or whatever race reads more comics...then more comics would target them.Being a supehero is not realistic so how are we to know that in real life if superheroes were starting to spring up the majority of them wouldn't be white? 
    If 99% of comic heroes were black then Marvel would end up like Iconz.A bunch of characters forgotten because nobody wanted to see their lames ass cosutmes and read there stories that were boring to them or they couldn't relate to.

Keep it real?
    I don't agree with you because your wrong....As long as the majority of Comic readers are white..there will never be a balance.How many white people you think relate to Cage,Black Panther,or Storm? How many white people know what it's like to have to steal to get what you want? How many white people know how it is to live in Harlem? How many white people know what it's like  to have to constantly protect themselves? Almost none of them....

Give it a rest..your wrong now and you were wrong from the beginning.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Swordz81 said:
    "vance astro I think you're pissing yourself off because you know what I said is true. Learn your history. Unbrainwash yourself and open your mind. Don't be the token character in the comic of life"

Swordz81 said:
    "vance astro:
    "No Swordz is right...they should have more black superheroes for the f#ck of it.The majority of us don't read comics but Marvel should try to cater us anyway.
    rollseyes"

another token response
    "
    I'm not a token..I'm realistic.Your sitting here b#tchin about white people catering to white people...This is a f#ckin surprise to you? You actually expect the comic world to ever be even? 

What part of not enough black people or any other minority read comics don't you f#ckin understand?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.