Follow

Black Panther

Character » Black Panther appears in 3340 issues.

T'Challa is the Black Panther, king of Wakanda, one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. He is among the top intellects and martial artists of the world, a veteran Avenger, and a member of the Illuminati. Using his powers and abilities, he has pledged his fortune, powers, and life to the service of all mankind.

Black Panther #5 Reviewed

• 52 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

We all know this is my favorite comic out right now; (I think I've said it enough times,) but how did you feel about it? Will Storm make it out alive, or is this the end of the line for her? Will Shuri prove to herself and to her people that she has what it takes to be the next Black Panther, or is she preparing herself for the end?
    Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Kurrent

I can't get into this for some reason....

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By No_Name_
    @Kurrent: Aww shucks. :(
    Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kurrent

The art looks good though....lol

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

J.Scott Campbell can't draw men unless it's Spider-Man.

RalfvdH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RalfvdH

could be a great comic
    Batman vs. Black Panther. Battle for Babs. :P

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By No_Name_
    @Vance Astro: I too enjoyed Lashley's work inside than Campbell's cover.

RalfvdH said:
    could be a great comic Batman vs. Black Panther. Battle for Babs. :P
    LOL!

Kurrent said:
    The art looks good though....lol

Did you start from the first issue?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By The_Ghostshell

This issue was hot. The cover is tight (Storm looks fiiiiiiine and T'Challa looks badass). I really like Morlun as a BP villain more so then a Spiderman villain. While I was reading this I was thinking how are they gonna bring Storm back from the otherside, but by the end of the issue I think its pretty obvious whats going to happen (which I cant wait to see). Babs is on point with the whole "Tech vs Nature" theme in this issue. Wakanda is the most technologically advanced nation in the Marvel U. But underneath it all there's still those who cling to the traditional mystic elements of the old ways. Great review. If I had to pick a favorite part I'd say the two brothers and their final talk together before facing Morlun. The dialog was pretty cool and in just a short period of time Hudlin was able to get the reader to care about two characters who we all knew were destined to die.

RalfvdH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RalfvdH
    Babs said:
    @Vance Astro: I too enjoyed Lashley's work inside than Campbell's cover. RalfvdH said: could be a great comic Batman vs. ... [more]
    When come to think of it...It could be a good drawing too...

mmm....just thinking out loud
     ;)
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By The_Martian

I'm really enjoying the series. Not my favorite series but it is up there.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By danhimself

this is the first Black Panther series that I've tried to read....notice how I said "tried".....i just can't seem to get into this series and I don't know why....maybe it has something to do with it seeming like it's not connected to the rest of the Marvel Universe right now...how is Storm zipping back and forth all the time from Wakanda to San Fransisco and no one's noticed yet?......I'm gonna keep reading it though and hope that I can enjoy it more then what I have so far

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Decept-O

Poor Batman.  First he seemingly gets killed, Dick Grayson takes his job and now Babs has left him for another man.

Avatar image for secret_turchin_man
    Secret Turchin Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks good. I should put this on my monthly pull list.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    danhimself said:
    this is the first Black Panther series that I've tried to read....notice how I said "tried".....i just can't seem to ... [more]
    Not connected to the rest of the Marvel U? Namor set him up in the first issue and Doom finished him off. That pretty much connects BP to the Dark Cabal, not to mention Morlun's arrival. A character never before seen in the BP universe. But I agree about Storm. Its annoying as all hell to see her in Wakanda one day and then San Fran the same night lol. I wish Marvel would just cut her ties with the X-Men. In my opinion she's a better character now that she's in the BP titles.
    Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nahero

ya know it looks to me that black panther kinda looks like batman but he is not

i agree with babs the story sounds really awesome

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#15  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Awww...Poor Batman, great review Babs

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Babs said:
    @Vance Astro: I too enjoyed Lashley's work inside than Campbell's cover. RalfvdH said: could be a great comic Batman vs. ... [more]
    I agree.Lashley is awesome.He's is possibly the best artist to work on Black Panther.Even the ugly characters look awesome lol.
    Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jamiracles
    I've noticed that sort of every facet of the Marvel U has just been so dramatically compromised aside from Wakanda.

Of course we saw the sort of change of positions in Black Panther at the beginning but outside of that I haven't really been all that interested in Black Panther lately i think because I wonder why Storm and T'Challa haven't had as much conflict in their relationship as I imagine people from two different experiences should have.

Certainly they have a lot in common not only in just their pasts but I just think that two people so accustomed to the ways of two different nations as well as one being a generally waited upon male in a royal leadership position sharing a relationship with such a strong and free and independent female would have their marital snags every once in a while and wouldnt be as "fairy tale booky" as they have been portrayed. I think thats one of the reasons the story started becoming very hollow for me after a while is because the idea of them is obviously supposed to be this "Match made in heaven" and, ya know, right on, but I think it'd be a lot interesting if their experiences and role assumptions would conflict with each other every now and then.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I actually like the "fairy tale booky" relationship they have. The flawed or complex relationships in the Marvel U have played themselves out. To me they display a level of class, loyalty, and love that very few character relationships have in the Marvel Universe. I personally hope they don't conjure up some unnecessary drama between the two. Save that for Spiderman and Mary Jane. T'Challa has and always will treat Storm as his equal. But its not like they never have arguments or spats that plaque most relationships (although I like them being portrayed as being above that sort of thing). Storm was extremely jealous of T'Challa's concubine/personal bodyguards.

Mask of Tengu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 252

#19  Edited By Mask of Tengu

Don't do that to Batman...that is just wrong... :_)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By danhimself
    Gambler said:
    danhimself said: this is the first Black Panther series that I've tried to read....notice how I said "tried".....i just can't ... [more]

yeah you got me with Doom and Namor.  I still don't know how I feel about Morlun showing up since the only place we've seen him is in Spider-man pre Brand New Day and we don't even know for sure if that happened or not and I definitely agree with you on Storm....she's not really contributiting to the X-men so why's she there
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Gambler said:
    I actually like the "fairy tale booky" relationship they have. The flawed or complex relationships in the Marvel U have ... [more]
    I gotta agree with G.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By No_Name_
    danhimself said:
    Gambler said: danhimself said: this is the first Black Panther series that I've tried to read....notice how I said "tried".....i ... [more]
    Okay, I think having Morlun show up in this makes SO MUCH SENSE. It makes me feel as though he should have been a BP villain from the start! He feeds on animal totems, and has thus come to feed on the Panther Totem. It fits so effortlessly in with the mysticism and spiritualism of this book that it's unbelievable. Maybe I'm wrong, but I am so biased because I love these characters together.

As for the fairy tale-esque manner in which Storm and T'Challah's relationship is portrayed: I love it. I am such a hopeless romantic; so the idea of this powerful woman sacrificing herself so that not only her lover and husband can survive; but more importantly so that the entire nation of Wakanda can survive is just unbelievable. For me, it completely defines what it means to be a hero. To give up your own life for the survival of an entire race as well as for your dying husband is nothing short of admirable.
    skprgb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By skprgb

I think the reason why some people can't get into this Black Panther series is because it has alot of emotion and it's hard to have feelings for a character that might be new to them. Having known BP for awhile I am enjoying this series. Great review once again :-) thanks Babs!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By No_Name_
    skprgb said:
    I think the reason why some people can't get into this Black Panther series is because it has alot of ... [more]
    I think you summed it up!

And thanks for watching! :D
    Son Of Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Son Of Storm

Once again Babs does it again she gives her "expert" opinion which I always wait 4 to go get the comic! Don't ever stop Babs!!!!!!!!

I know I may B overreaching but maybe its possible that Storm may be the next BP. And the panther god will fight for her release. or MayB BP's sister will trade her life for Storm because I have a feeling that she won't be coming out of this battle alive :-(

But as the comic goes I love it Storm looks SEXY!

Reaper 13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Reaper 13

I hear you.  Just something about it that doesn't work for me...

The Hottness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The Hottness

Love this story arc...shuri just takes the mantle without the panther god's okay. thats tights....T' Challa and storm only one coming back pulls on the heart strings. good jod Marvel

There's going to be hell to pay!
    There's going to be hell to pay!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Ghostshell

DAAAAYUMN. That pic is tight.

Watchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Watchman

Wouldn't a Black Panther movie just be Awesome!?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By No_Name_
    @Watchman: yes. so would the cartoon...

Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jamiracles
    @Gambler: That's a pretty interesting point and I'll agree with that. I do like the fact that they represent a strong companionship that juxtaposes most other Marvel relationships but I feel that every relationship has its plethora of challenges and that were Storm and T'Challa from more similar, simpler life experiences that their union would logically be more smooth. But I suppose i'm saying that I'm just not convinced that they're love is all that...well, convincing. I'd imagine that given their personalities they'd be strongly attracted to one another, because in T'Challa's eyes heres this woman thats just so strong, free, independent and HAWT and then in Storm's eyes, well, the only man that could really conquer a heart like hers would be a King, and so thats the spark that keeps them going for each other and constantly rekindles that passion, but wheres the friction in that thats constantly stimulating that passion? There have to be penalties from someone, though knowledgable and intelligent in the way of many cultures, who's been isolated as a young man from most social/cultural contact.

You cited Spider-Man as being one of the primary examples of a shaky relationship in the Marvel U
    , but I think thats because Mary Jane pretty much always knew Pete was Spider-Man and was always attracted to that danger and logically that was some of what fueled their initial passion as a result and is one of the biggest reasons Spider-Man is one of the most important comics to Marvel because it represents the consequences that come with every bit of joy and prosperity.
    Watchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Watchman
    @Babs: Cool!!! Djimon Hounsou  would be a good Black Panther.
    The Hottness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The Hottness

perfect panther pick

TazTheStampede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TazTheStampede

seriously....this series is useless...

Samuraikenpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Samuraikenpo

i really think the girl is still being tested to become the black panther either thats a dream sequence or its a just a test.  Can i just say i would want a woman like Storm, Storm has officially moved up the list in my book.

Spid3r-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Spid3r-Man

Well I'm sure this is not the first time its been said but Babs is very very cute.  I have recently gotten back into comics and I have to say I have enjoyed this Black Panther run so far.  Everything is pretty fresh for me so I might not be that hard to please but i like the stories coming out.

rbysjti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rbysjti

Storm looks very, ver sexy. But she would have looked better if she's holding on to Wolverine.

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LastSon1027

Damn Babs first they go and kill Batman and then you go and make him sad! Not too nice......

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39  Edited By DMC
    "Magic must defeat magic"

Or in Suri's case, supernatural must defeat supernatural

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    rbysjti said:
    Storm looks very, ver sexy. But she would have looked better if she's holding on to Wolverine.

WTF
    WTF

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Umbraa

As always you are on point Babs. Great review.
    I still think Storm is going to take up the Habit though. 

Also, there relationship isn't prefect. They HAVE clashed before, they have disagreed.
    But like others, I like the fact that there relationship is not based on Drama, but love. That is refreshing, a change and something different for once.

geometry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By geometry
    rbysjti said:
    What did you come in here for again?
    @rbysjti said:
    "Storm looks very, ver sexy. But she would have looked better if she's holding on to Wolverine. "

That's really retarded, she's not so get over it.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Media_Master

I'll keep my eye out for this one!

ohms@

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ohms@

Definitely gonna check this series out now.

cheers!

SirSparkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SirSparkington

I tried #1 but it didn't do anything for me. I haven't heard good things about it (other than here), so I'm not terribly inclined to pick it up.

skprgb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By skprgb
    @Watchman said:
    " Wouldn't a Black Panther movie just be Awesome!? "
    Heard somewhere along time ago that they were going to make movies of the Black Panther and Hawkeye. No idea if its actually gonna happen but those 2 are in my top and I'd love to see them made into live action films.
    Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Umbraa
    @ohms@sith said:
    "Definitely gonna check this series out now.cheers!"

It's awesome...just as Babs says. It's one of the more underrated comics out now. One of the best at Marvel at this moment.
    logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By logan48227

I've always been a Black Panther fan, especially after Christopher Priest's brilliant Marvel Knights take on him. Hudlin has redeemed himself for his earlier work since they've relaunched the series, but there still seems to be something missing to me. Maybe because Suri has been in the costume more.

Overall though, this has been a pretty good series up to this point.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    @Gambler said:
    " I actually like the "fairy tale booky" relationship they have. The flawed or complex relationships in the Marvel U have played themselves out. To me they display a level of class, loyalty, and love that very few character relationships have in the Marvel Universe. I personally hope they don't conjure up some unnecessary drama between the two. Save that for Spiderman and Mary Jane. T'Challa has and always will treat Storm as his equal. But its not like they never have arguments or spats that plaque most relationships (although I like them being portrayed as being above that sort of thing). Storm was extremely jealous of T'Challa's concubine/personal bodyguards. "
    I like also the fact that they are black people that actually get along romantically.  Even AFTER marriage (that alone shocks many people). 

Good review Babsy :)

@Gambler said:
    " This issue was hot. The cover is tight (Storm looks fiiiiiiine and T'Challa looks badass). I really like Morlun as a BP villain more so then a Spiderman villain. While I was reading this I was thinking how are they gonna bring Storm back from the otherside, but by the end of the issue I think its pretty obvious whats going to happen (which I cant wait to see). Babs is on point with the whole "Tech vs Nature" theme in this issue. Wakanda is the most technologically advanced nation in the Marvel U. But underneath it all there's still those who cling to the traditional mystic elements of the old ways. Great review. If I had to pick a favorite part I'd say the two brothers and their final talk together before facing Morlun. The dialog was pretty cool and in just a short period of time Hudlin was able to get the reader to care about two characters who we all knew were destined to die. "
    Hhhmmm.  Now, I find myself questioning if Hudlin's repeatedly downplaying the witchcraft part of Wakanda's heritage was intentional or on purpose.

stormulttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By stormulttt

loved this issue especially the storm beating death part, she truely show her godhood here XDD, but yea if she stays with death thatd be interesting..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.