Ant-Man movie and GOTG movie but no Black Panther movie?

• 110 results
#1 Posted by FuZySLiPeRz (71 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I feel a bit disappointed because it doesn't seem like Marvel wants to give us a BP movie. Ant-Man getting his own movie is cool, but do we really need a Guardians of the Galaxy movie? I wont say it could be a sign of racism, because you never really know, but it seems like Marvel has not been giving Black Panther or any other character of black or African decent much of a chance in the Movie-verse, aside from James Rhodes or Nick Fury. I don't count Blade because right before the beginning of each Blade movie, I never once saw the Marvel logo appear. It would've been nice to finally get a Black or African super hero, who is also a warrior-king.

What about a Ms. Marvel movie? She's become very popular, thanks to Avengers EMH. What is Marvel's problem with having an extremely powerful woman on the team, who would outclass her super-powered peers? Normal movies, (not marvel movies) have been taking steps to give women stronger, leading roles in movies. Like Snow White and the Huntsman, The Hunger Games, Brave etc.

It sucks that I finally got to see where marvel is moving with their cinematic universe. I'm just a normal Marvel fan but I might end up supporting DC more because it seems like they like to diversify more.

#2 Posted by SoA (4839 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont mind a guardians movie , but im not wasting money or my time on a ant-man film , the only thing worse would be a falcon movie . kinda sad that there is no BP film in the works , and i thought with Ms Marvel on EMH and having her own series again that she might appear for the Avengers sequel . i rather have a 10-min film staring both ms marvel and black panther over a feature length ant-man film (i hope reynolds gets the lead so it double sucks)

#3 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4733 posts) - - Show Bio

DC won't make a Black Panther movie, either. Incineration!

#4 Posted by danhimself (22565 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has said that the movie choices and who got a movie would be all story driven and how it fits into their overall plan....maybe Black Panther just doesn't fit in right now

#5 Posted by danhimself (22565 posts) - - Show Bio

@FuZySLiPeRz said:

Personally I feel a bit disappointed because it doesn't seem like Marvel wants to give us a BP movie. Ant-Man getting his own movie is cool, but do we really need a Guardians of the Galaxy movie? I wont say it could be a sign of racism, because you never really know, but it seems like Marvel has not been giving Black Panther or any other character of black or African decent much of a chance in the Movie-verse, aside from James Rhodes or Nick Fury. I don't count Blade because right before the beginning of each Blade movie, I never once saw the Marvel logo appear. It would've been nice to finally get a Black or African super hero, who is also a warrior-king.

What about a Ms. Marvel movie? She's become very popular, thanks to Avengers EMH. What is Marvel's problem with having an extremely powerful woman on the team, who would outclass her super-powered peers? Normal movies, (not marvel movies) have been taking steps to give women stronger, leading roles in movies. Like Snow White and the Huntsman, The Hunger Games, Brave etc.

It sucks that I finally got to see where marvel is moving with their cinematic universe. I'm just a normal Marvel fan but I might end up supporting DC more because it seems like they like to diversify more.

how exactly does DC diversify more? this year they have a Batman movie...next year they have a Superman movie...I really don't see any diversity there

#6 Posted by CapFanboy (5165 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

i dont mind a guardians movie , but im not wasting money or my time on a ant-man film , the only thing worse would be a falcon movie . kinda sad that there is no BP film in the works , and i thought with Ms Marvel on EMH and having her own series again that she might appear for the Avengers sequel . i rather have a 10-min film staring both ms marvel and black panther over a feature length ant-man film (i hope reynolds gets the lead so it double sucks)

Oh please, Hank Pym (who I hope it is) is as much a part of the Avengers as Cap and Stark and may even be more valuable. The guys is a great character and deserves his own film as much as the rest.

#7 Posted by Pwok21 (2389 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not too bothered about a Black Panther movie as it would tie into Avengers 2, and to me The Avengers have too many street levellers right now.

Give them some more diverse powerhouses.

#8 Posted by SoA (4839 posts) - - Show Bio

@CapFanboy: yet he got beat out by black widow and hawkeye , who both had bit parts and still ended up in the avengers . you can like/worship ant-man all you like . you think he is great , awesome, good for you . i didnt say he sucked i said im not wasting my time on watching said film. which i implied hopes it sucks.

#9 Posted by Mycroftian (109 posts) - - Show Bio

We don't really need a Guardians movie per se, but would it be nice to have a movie better establish Thanos' role in the Cinematic Universe before he inevitably appears as the big bad of Avengers 2? Absolutely. Black Panther didn't make it into Phase 2, but I'd say he and Strange are still the two properties we're most likely to see next. If you're looking for diversity, the Falcon will be appearing in Cap 2 last I checked, and Gamora will be kicking all kinds of ass alongside Star-Lord and Rocket Raccoon, I'm sure. Carol Danvers (in either her more iconic Ms. Marvel or current Captain Marvel ensemble) also seems like a highly probable addition to the Cinematic Universe. I would expect her in either Avengers 2 or in Phase Three. (I'm assuming that we will see a phase three at some point; I haven't actually heard anything about it)

#10 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther isn't that popular. You don't know who will be in Avengers 2, Ms. Marvel or BP could make appearances.Plus Blade got a movie before Spider-Man and DC has 7 Batman movies + 5 Superman Movies so you're opinion is now irrelevant.

#11 Posted by War Killer (20225 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mycroftian said:

We don't really need a Guardians movie per se

Marvel said that one of the main reasons they're doing a GoTG movie is because they want to show that their comics are more than just superheroes on Earth and that their universe is much larger with stories that take place in the deep regions of space. Personally I think it's a smart move, plus if it's successful along with Ant-Man that would just make it even more possibly that Marvel may take their chances on movies with lesser known characters. That includes Black Panther.
#12 Posted by FuZySLiPeRz (71 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duke_Nasty said:

Black Panther isn't that popular. You don't know who will be in Avengers 2, Ms. Marvel or BP could make appearances.Plus Blade got a movie before Spider-Man and DC has 7 Batman movies + 5 Superman Movies so you're opinion is now irrelevant.

@sesquipedalophobe said:

DC won't make a Black Panther movie, either. Incineration!

@danhimself said:

@FuZySLiPeRz said:

how exactly does DC diversify more? this year they have a Batman movie...next year they have a Superman movie...I really don't see any diversity there

Yeah you guys are right, forget I said that lol... I was blinded by rage!

#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Just be patient. Everyone can't get movies all at once. Personally I'm still waiting on Dr. Strange.

#14 Posted by FuZySLiPeRz (71 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

I agree!!@Mycroftian said:

We don't really need a Guardians movie per se, but would it be nice to have a movie better establish Thanos' role in the Cinematic Universe before he inevitably appears as the big bad of Avengers 2? Absolutely. Black Panther didn't make it into Phase 2, but I'd say he and Strange are still the two properties we're most likely to see next. If you're looking for diversity, the Falcon will be appearing in Cap 2 last I checked, and Gamora will be kicking all kinds of ass alongside Star-Lord and Rocket Raccoon, I'm sure. Carol Danvers (in either her more iconic Ms. Marvel or current Captain Marvel ensemble) also seems like a highly probable addition to the Cinematic Universe. I would expect her in either Avengers 2 or in Phase Three. (I'm assuming that we will see a phase three at some point; I haven't actually heard anything about it)

I hope BP and Ms. Marvel at least make it into phase 3, Id hate to see them wasted.

@danhimself said:

Marvel has said that the movie choices and who got a movie would be all story driven and how it fits into their overall plan....maybe Black Panther just doesn't fit in right now

Ok that makes sense, thanks for your input.

#15 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a BP movie would be sweet, but I think the majority of "non comic reading" superhero movie goers would quickly assume he was a Batman rip off.

#16 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther isn't exactly popular and I doubt he will be an Avengers before Falcon. I believe that Marvel said their cartoons will start tying into their films and in the new Avengers cartoon coming out next year, Falcon is on the roster. Ant-Man is probably being made to tie-into Avengers and since Thanos as shown at the end of Avengers, maybe Guardians will explain that. Marvel has no obligation to make a Black Panther film. 

#17 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

@CapFanboy: yet he got beat out by black widow and hawkeye , who both had bit parts and still ended up in the avengers . you can like/worship ant-man all you like . you think he is great , awesome, good for you . i didnt say he sucked i said im not wasting my time on watching said film. which i implied hopes it sucks.

What are you even saying?

#18 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna laugh so hard when Ant-Man blows everyone's expectations away, and they'll be kicking themselves for ever saying it was going to suck, that they weren't going to see it, etc. Screenshotting all of those comments of premature-judging.

#19 Edited by Tyrus (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Yeah - they're probably gonna have to advertise more like with the Avengers Assemble comic series running as of now - I think in issue 3 - 6 the Guardians of the Galaxy were introduced.... Then about a week or two after it came out, Kevin Feige announces a Guardians of the Galaxy film.

#20 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7877 posts) - - Show Bio

GotG fits better with what Marvel seems to be trying to do at the moment to set up for Avengers 2. Though I would love a Black Panther movie, he just doesn't seem to fit.. I guess they could of done BP instead of Ant-Man... But... IMO, naw, I like some Ant-Man. =3.

#21 Edited by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

First not popular is in absurd argument no one know who Ant-man is much less the GotG. Only good thing about Ant-man is Ultron.

Second, Blade got 3 Movies without anyone knowing who he was.

Third, Disappointing sure but not surprised. Its Hollywood they don't do black leads. They do black and female sidekicks for the most part.

As for more powerhouses, sure but Thanos is most likely to be beat in the lab. Not by having Hulk and Thor wail on him.

#22 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

I think a BP movie would be sweet, but I think the majority of "non comic reading" superhero movie goers would quickly assume he was a Batman rip off.

#23 Posted by TheAntiReVamp (389 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll get his own movie someday but they might sell the movie rights to another studio you never know.

#24 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

I'm gonna laugh so hard when Ant-Man blows everyone's expectations away, and they'll be kicking themselves for ever saying it was going to suck, that they weren't going to see it, etc. Screenshotting all of those comments of premature-judging.

Dude if Janet appears I will love it period.

#25 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm bummed that GOTG out ranks BP

#26 Posted by FuZySLiPeRz (71 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope you guys are right. I hope my expectations are blown away with Ant-Man, like they were with Amazing Spider Man..still wish there could be a BP movie though.

But I can see why they would need an Ant-Man movie, it would help bring in Vision and Ultron.

Maybe I'll start looking on the bright side.. *sigh*

#27 Edited by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

Dude, I won't lie, if Janet was in it I would scream with joy like a 12 year old girl who got to meet Hanson.

#28 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@Blood1991 said:

Dude, I won't lie if Janet was in it I world scream with joy like a 12 year old girl who got to meet Hanson.

Same and if she become Wasp I will flip out in the theater. No Lie.

#29 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@tg1982 said:

@Blood1991 said:

Dude, I won't lie if Janet was in it I world scream with joy like a 12 year old girl who got to meet Hanson.

I don'y even know what I'd do probably this...

Coincidently, I'm also a huge Packer fan, and no that's not me. :-)

#30 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@tg1982 said:

@Blood1991 said:

I don'y even know what I'd do probably this...

Coincidently, I'm also a huge Packer fan, and no that's not me. :-)

Sounds about right lol. I'd have to apologize to everyone in the theater for my fanboy moment.

#31 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAntiReVamp said:

He'll get his own movie someday but they might sell the movie rights to another studio you never know.

No, I am pretty certain Disney has no plans to sell their properties to other companies. Especially since they still don't have the rights to X-men, F4 or Spider-man.

#32 Posted by Rell127 (291 posts) - - Show Bio

I blame fanboys for this. I mean really people b****and moan how T'challa is a batman clone but haven't read his books. Antman sucks im sorry whoever thinks his movie wil a major hit ima laugh. Honey I strunks the kids gone Superhero really? GG will work better than Wakanda because hey a Giant talking Plant and a Talking with guns is more believable than the most richiest and advance nation being in africa. Hell remeber asguard didn't sell right??? Hell when Thor was on earth he was in the deser.t

#33 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rell127 said:

I blame fanboys for this. I mean really people b****and moan how T'challa is a batman clone but haven't read his books. Antman sucks im sorry whoever thinks his movie wil a major hit ima laugh. Honey I strunks the kids gone Superhero really? GG will work better than Wakanda because hey a Giant talking Plant and a Talking with guns is more believable than the most richiest and advance nation being in africa. Hell remeber asguard didn't sell right??? Hell when Thor was on earth he was in the deser.t

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Who the fudge are the Guardians of the Galaxy? Who the fudge is Ant-Man?

He isn't popular is not a good answer, because he is more popular than those characters. (And yes, I know who they are, btw).

#34 Posted by Mykhael (67 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33495 posts) - - Show Bio

They cant even decide what tio do with Panther in the comics let alone a movie 

#36 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Twentyfive said:

He isn't popular is not a good answer, because he is more popular than those characters. (And yes, I know who they are, btw).

Ant-Man's film will tie-in to the next Avengers film so Ant-Man may not be more popular than T'challa but it makes sense that he would be getting a film before Black Panther.GOTG may also have something to do with the next Avengers. 
#37 Posted by moneyspider1 (113 posts) - - Show Bio

DC's attempts at diversity are still really slow, in my opinion. Batwing has his own book, but how much advertising does that book get? Right now he does have tie-ins to the other Batbooks (Nightwing is currently guest-starring in Batwing's book and Batwing does also appear in the Justice League International book...which is due to end soon, though). However, Vixen is a significantly underutilized character, a character who was still in the hospital the last time I picked up a Justice League International book (which was this month). Now that the book is ending, I'm hoping that they give her her own book...that way we'd have TWO books based in Africa. And as someone else pointed out in this thread...as far as movies go, DC only has the upcoming Batman and Superman movies. Where is the Wonder Woman movie? Where is the Starfire movie? Where is the Zatanna movie? The Vixen movie? Or any other movie not starring the usual, go-to characters?

#38 Edited by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Twentyfive said:

Ant-Man's film will tie-in to the next Avengers film so Ant-Man may not be more popular than T'challa but it makes sense that he would be getting a film before Black Panther.GOTG may also have something to do with the next Avengers.

I agree, thinking of it now. After all, Thanos is the next major villain anyway. BP has nothing to do with him.

Phase 3, if we get to that point, should feature the Skrulls, who BP is all too familiar with. So no more complaints from me!

#39 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Skaddix said:

First not popular is in absurd argument no one know who Ant-man is much less the GotG. Only good thing about Ant-man is Ultron.

Second, Blade got 3 Movies without anyone knowing who he was.

Third, Disappointing sure but not surprised. Its Hollywood they don't do black leads. They do black and female sidekicks for the most part.

Not popular isn't an absurd argument, nobody knows who Ant-Man or the GotG are but with the promise of tie-ins, those films will do well. Those movies are being made so that Marvel can take further steps for other films based on the events that transpire in those films..so those films are a priority. 

Blade's films involve vampires. Vampires are a popular subject in film and television, it doesn't have to be anything Marvel related to sell. 

Hollywood does do black leads, unless you are talking specifically about comic related films. That doesn't have anything to do with Hollywood though, that has more to do with comics.
#40 Posted by mtrakos (563 posts) - - Show Bio

Let them put out whatever they want right now. It producing revenue and as long as they throw us a bone on a good marvel flick here and there. If Avengers didnt go over so well, we would never be discussing a GOTG movie. I hope marvel studios "gets that paper" I want a legit Inhumans movie.

#41 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@moneyspider1 said:

DC's attempts at diversity are still really slow, in my opinion. Batwing has his own book, but how much advertising does that book get? Right now he does have tie-ins to the other Batbooks (Nightwing is currently guest-starring in Batwing's book and Batwing does also appear in the Justice League International book...which is due to end soon, though). However, Vixen is a significantly underutilized character, a character who was still in the hospital the last time I picked up a Justice League International book (which was this month). Now that the book is ending, I'm hoping that they give her her own book...that way we'd have TWO books based in Africa. And as someone else pointed out in this thread...as far as movies go, DC only has the upcoming Batman and Superman movies. Where is the Wonder Woman movie? Where is the Starfire movie? Where is the Zatanna movie? The Vixen movie? Or any other movie not starring the usual, go-to characters?

Vixen does have her own book. She's a white male called Buddy Baker! She stars in a book called Animal Man. It is a borderline vertigo book starring her, her wife, and their two kids. It is actually a good book.

But all kidding aside, I hear what you are saying. To tell you the truth, Batwing has been faltering in terms of quality after issue 8 (much to my dismay). This is thanks to what I believe is stupid editorial decisions that have bogged the series down by making him team up with the Bat-family every issue. The current villain is a Bat villain. What is up with that. We hardly get to see some Batwing heroics. Throughout the first arc, I was hopeful that the book would remain in Africa because the setting is new, and interesting, and the themes are things that are rarely exposed to comic readers. AIDS, child soldiers, etc. Actually, that first arc by itself is movie material, But DC doesn't care.

#42 Posted by Cap10nate (2324 posts) - - Show Bio

The Marvel cinematic universe is still relatively small. They are still trying to build it out.

Guardians of the Galaxy opens the door to the entirety of the cosmic properties. It will also show how fearsome Thanos is so that they don't have to waste time in Avengers 2 (if that is the direction they are going).

Ant-Man opens up possibilities for Ultron and Vision. Two huge pieces of Avengers history. That isn't even considering Janet.

Black Panther doesn't really offer much else to build out the cinematic universe. Wakanda and Vibranium but not that important. Already have two geniuses (Tony and Bruce) and a bunch of skilled fighters.

If you want to talk about diversity, GOTG has at least two green people, a talking raccoon, and a sentient tree.

#43 Posted by Onemoreposter (4058 posts) - - Show Bio

Henry Pym > T'challa.

Dig them both, but the Ant Man deserves a movie over the Panther any day of the week. I just hope they do Hank some justice.

#44 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18855 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@tg1982 said:

@Blood1991 said:

I will do a somersault in the middle of the theater, and scream my balls off.

#45 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx:

#46 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4807 posts) - - Show Bio

BP will get a movie after The Avengers 3 ok... calm down

( + )

#47 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18855 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991:

#48 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Onemoreposter said:

Henry Pym > T'challa.

Dig them both, but the Ant Man deserves a movie over the Panther any day of the week. I just hope they do Hank some justice.

He doesn't actually DESERVE a film more so than Black Panther. It just makes more sense. You may like Ant-Man more but I think Black Panther is actually more valuable to Marvel than Ant-Man.
#49 Posted by Rell127 (291 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter: Antman doesn't besides Ultron he offers nothing. Hell BP is more popular and that's saying something.

#50 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rell127 said:

@Onemoreposter: Antman doesn't besides Ultron he offers nothing. Hell BP is more popular and that's saying something.

You say this like Ultron is nothing. Ultron is one of the Avengers greatest enemies. BP being more popular isn't saying anything..the margin isn't that big.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.