Follow

Black Mask

Character » Black Mask appears in 450 issues.

A ruthless Gotham mob boss and leader of the False Face Society known for his extreme hatred for Bruce Wayne and sadistic talent for torturing his victims.

Black mask must read comics, story arcs or issues

Np199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Which issues or story arcs are the ones that must be read in order to understand the character.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Really? What makes you think he does? He seems more like an evening news sort of guy to me. Or bootleg DVD's.

Np199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For what i read, i kind of like him. The thing is i would like to read a comic in which he appears.

Avatar image for dyslexicspeller
    dyslexicspeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dyslexicspeller

i think war games would be pretty useful

Avatar image for doctorthomaselliot
    DoctorThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He's pretty great as a side character in under the red hood. Both the comic and the movie.

420Slaterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@np199: I'm not much of a fan of his later interpretations. A lot of people will suggest War Games and Under the Red Hood as great Black Mask stories, but truth be told I find him to be very generic in those. He just comes off as just a regular gangster character except one who has a black skull face for some unexplained reason. And any time they try to make him come off as psychotic or intimidating, it's often very forced and laughable. You honestly just could have replaced his role in those stories with the Penguin and they'd be much better, because in those stories, there's not much interesting going on with his character. Under the Red Hood is a decent read, but it's not good for Black Mask (and honestly War Games is really weak and sloppy)

I personally prefer the original interpretation of Black Mask. He wasn't the best character, but he had characteristics that made him unique as a Batman villain and for some reason the writers just completely abandon all this good stuff to make him into a generic crime lord character. He was forced to be friends with Bruce Wayne as a child by his parents, he hates his parents and kills them to inherit their company only to drive it into the ground and be bought out by Wanye Industries, he becomes Black Mask, a villain more motivated by his hatred for Bruce Wanye than his hatred for Batman, and starts a sort of crime cult that commits crimes against Wayne Industries. His first story arc is particularly good in Batman #386-387 and Detective #553

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.