"Green Lantern #43: Prologue To Blackest Night" Reviewed!

  • 55 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
 

I had looked forward to this for a very long time, and I have to admit that I was not in the least bit disappointed! This is a fantastic book to pick up if you are interested in getting into the " Blackest Night" series. I felt that this book summed everything you need to know to introduce you to the very first Black Lantern. Vital to the collection of any comic book reader who is planning on  delving into the 'Blackest Night' series. Did you read it? Did you feel that it was necessary? Did you enjoy this book? Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions! I look forward to hearing about what you guys think regarding the kick off to what looks to be a very promising series!
#1 Posted by danhimself (22553 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved this book...the scene where he killed himself was awesome

#2 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" I loved this book...the scene where he killed himself was awesome "
yeah that was abdass
#3 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
"I loved this book...the scene where he killed himself was awesome "

<------------------------------


:-P
#4 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio

I forgot to review this.

Goes to find it

#5 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that in order fully be a Black Lantern, he had to kill himself in order to do it. Not sure why he killed his family, though.

#6 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
"I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that in order fully be a Black Lantern, he had to kill himself in order to do it. Not sure why he killed his family, though. "

he craves death possibly, i'm betting the emotion of the Black lanterns is Grief. just a possibilty.
#7 Posted by danhimself (22553 posts) - - Show Bio

so the way it sounds is that the Black Hand is the Black Lantern's Ion

also am I the only one who thinks that they're just teasing us with all this Bruce Wayne stuff and that Bruce Wayne is not coming back as a Black Lantern

#8 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio

I just can't wait for Blackest Night tommorow.

#9 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@dreadmaster said:

" @Babs said:

"I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that in order fully be a Black Lantern, he had to kill himself in order to do it. Not sure why he killed his family, though. "
he craves death possibly, i'm betting the emotion of the Black lanterns is Grief. just a possibilty. "
I don't know...I have to disagree. In the first page of the book, they discuss the cosmic revelations, highlighting verse 6 as "the lights of the emotional spectrum" and then go on to say "as the light rises, so shall the DARKNESS," indicating (at least to me) that this has nothing to do with the light spectrum, that it is off the spectrum and a new concept (independent and separate from the light of the other lanterns) completely. "An unknown Darkness with NO satiation. A darkness with NO life." I think this reads as, it has nothing to do with what the other lantern stand for. Not linked to any emotion, rather it is tied to nothingness, darkness, simply put; death. 
#10 Posted by HarryF25 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Babs should do more reviews, G Man watch your back

#11 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
"@dreadmaster said:

" @Babs said:

"I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that in order fully be a Black Lantern, he had to kill himself in order to do it. Not sure why he killed his family, though. "
he craves death possibly, i'm betting the emotion of the Black lanterns is Grief. just a possibilty. "
I don't know...I have to disagree. In the first page of the book, they discuss the cosmic revelations, highlighting verse 6 as "the lights of the emotional spectrum" and then go on to say "as the light rises, so shall the DARKNESS," indicating (at least to me) that this has nothing to do with the light spectrum, that it is off the spectrum and a new concept (independent and separate from the light of the other lanterns) completely. "An unknown Darkness with NO satiation. A darkness with NO life." I think this reads as, it has nothing to do with what the other lantern stand for. Not linked to any emotion, rather it is tied to nothingness, darkness, simply put; death.  "

That... Is a good explanation, death has no feelings or color, its just black, nothing. I'm thinking that the Black Lantern Corps' main job is to extigiush all life of color (other Lantern Corps) Nice call Babs.
#12 Posted by Xion (247 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant wait to get my own copy.
Ever since they said that Martian Manhunter was gonna come back as a Black Lantern I been excited to read it.This series is gonna be awesome :D

#13 Posted by Phantim555 (229 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait to check out the blackest night series and not just because of the promo rings (Although they help) and while I never thought of the black lanterns motive I thing revenge against those who escaped death is a good idea. Kind of like a what's dead should stay dead kind of thing.

#14 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Xion said:
"

I cant wait to get my own copy.
Ever since they said that Martian Manhunter was gonna come back as a Black Lantern I been excited to read it.This series is gonna be awesome :D

"
Hell yes! J'onn Jones has been gone for far too long!
#15 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

FEEL BETTER!!

#16 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
"@Xion said:
"

I cant wait to get my own copy.
Ever since they said that Martian Manhunter was gonna come back as a Black Lantern I been excited to read it.This series is gonna be awesome :D

"
Hell yes! J'onn Jones has been gone for far too long! "

When did he die again?
#17 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
" FEEL BETTER!! "
Thank you! That was nice.

@dreadmaster said:
" @Babs said:
"@Xion said:
"

I cant wait to get my own copy.
Ever since they said that Martian Manhunter was gonna come back as a Black Lantern I been excited to read it.This series is gonna be awesome :D

"
Hell yes! J'onn Jones has been gone for far too long! "
When did he die again? "
Final Crisis
#18 Posted by War Killer (20213 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs: I have a question, I'm hoping to pick up this issue tomorrow, but I was wondering if you have to read both Blackest Night and Green Lantern to understand the story? I will also add that I'm new the Green Lantern book - ps: Hope you get to feeling better Babs
#19 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
"@dreadmaster said:
" @Babs said:
"@Xion said:
"

I cant wait to get my own copy.
Ever since they said that Martian Manhunter was gonna come back as a Black Lantern I been excited to read it.This series is gonna be awesome :D

"
Hell yes! J'onn Jones has been gone for far too long! "
When did he die again? "
Final Crisis "

And that was a few months ago and your saying he's been gone far too long? Hmm, that works lol
#20 Posted by shugtastic (46 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought this single issue was awesome.  i was surprised by how gory it was.  still quite awesome though.

i didn't know that jean loring was dead though.  how and when did that happen?

#21 Posted by Citizen 14 (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm. I'm going to the Comic Store tmrw. I'm for sure gonna pick this up.

#22 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@dreadmaster said:
" @Babs said:
"@dreadmaster said:
" @Babs said:
"@Xion said:
"

I cant wait to get my own copy.
Ever since they said that Martian Manhunter was gonna come back as a Black Lantern I been excited to read it.This series is gonna be awesome :D

"
Hell yes! J'onn Jones has been gone for far too long! "
When did he die again? "
Final Crisis "
And that was a few months ago and your saying he's been gone far too long? Hmm, that works lol "
I.E. I think they never should have killed him...

@War Killer said:
" @Babs: I have a question, I'm hoping to pick up this issue tomorrow, but I was wondering if you have to read both Blackest Night and Green Lantern to understand the story? I will also add that I'm new the Green Lantern book - ps: Hope you get to feeling better Babs "
Thank you for the get well soon wishes :D If you pick up this prologue issue which came out last week, I would imagine you would be okay. This book was a great introduction into the series and Geoff Johns gave a very cool background to what we can anticipate for the upcoming Green Lantern story arc. My advice to you, if you get lost, is to maybe check out the several pages on the site that we have that are centered around the different lantern corps. For example, check out the Yellow Lantern, Red lantern, and G reen lantern concept, team and character pages, skim them, and you should be all set. If you plan on picking up the first issue tomorrow, definitely try and pick up this one that I reviewed and read that first as it is sure to help in your understanding. Let me know how it goes!
#23 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
"@dreadmaster said:
" @Babs said:
"@dreadmaster said:
" @Babs said:
"@Xion said:
"

I cant wait to get my own copy.
Ever since they said that Martian Manhunter was gonna come back as a Black Lantern I been excited to read it.This series is gonna be awesome :D

"
Hell yes! J'onn Jones has been gone for far too long! "
When did he die again? "
Final Crisis "
And that was a few months ago and your saying he's been gone far too long? Hmm, that works lol "
I.E. I think they never should have killed him...

Oh and get well soon Babs :)
#24 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@shugtastic said:
" i thought this single issue was awesome.  i was surprised by how gory it was.  still quite awesome though.i didn't know that jean loring was dead though.  how and when did that happen? "
I checked her page an it isn't clear, but supposedly after Eclipso posses her? Not sure
#25 Posted by War Killer (20213 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @War Killer said:
" @Babs: I have a question, I'm hoping to pick up this issue tomorrow, but I was wondering if you have to read both Blackest Night and Green Lantern to understand the story? I will also add that I'm new the Green Lantern book - ps: Hope you get to feeling better Babs "
Thank you for the get well soon wishes :D If you pick up this prologue issue which came out last week, I would imagine you would be okay. This book was a great introduction into the series and Geoff Johns gave a very cool background to what we can anticipate for the upcoming Green Lantern story arc. My advice to you, if you get lost, is to maybe check out the several pages on the site that we have that are centered around the different lantern corps. For example, check out the Yellow Lantern, Red lantern, and G reen lantern concept, team and character pages, skim them, and you should be all set. If you plan on picking up the first issue tomorrow, definitely try and pick up this one that I reviewed and read that first as it is sure to help in your understanding. Let me know how it goes! "
Thank you for the advice, I will do my homework on those links and hopefully get that issue tomorrow, thanks again
#26 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" so the way it sounds is that the Black Hand is the Black Lantern's Ionalso am I the only one who thinks that they're just teasing us with all this Bruce Wayne stuff and that Bruce Wayne is not coming back as a Black Lantern "
In order to come back as a Black Lantern, you have to be dead...but he isn't, is he? I agree. I think it's just a way to get people to buy the book. I don't think Bruce will return as a Black Lantern, even though it is mentioned in the book.
#27 Posted by shugtastic (46 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs:
Jean Loring's "dead picture" makes it look like she's at the bottom of the sea.  craziness.  was she still possessed at the end of "Countdown"?
#28 Posted by Omg chris (1607 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome review like always babs hope you get better

#29 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@shugtastic said:

" @Babs: Jean Loring's "dead picture" makes it look like she's at the bottom of the sea.  craziness.  was she still possessed at the end of "Countdown"? "

If I am not mistaken, I think she was (feel free to correct me, anyone!)
#30 Posted by deathswitch (475 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @danhimself said:
" so the way it sounds is that the Black Hand is the Black Lantern's Ionalso am I the only one who thinks that they're just teasing us with all this Bruce Wayne stuff and that Bruce Wayne is not coming back as a Black Lantern "
In order to come back as a Black Lantern, you have to be dead...but he isn't, is he? I agree. I think it's just a way to get people to buy the book. I don't think Bruce will return as a Black Lantern, even though it is mentioned in the book. "
yes but what about the corpse in the batsuit?!
#31 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah this was awesome...Black Lanterns are creepy as all get out (especially one Mr. Hand I can't get that image of him licking a skull out of my mind...ugh).I take the Black Lanterns to be the absence of emotion, such as when Black Hand killed his family and their dog and anything else he ever killed without remorse.They are definitely a malevolent force and I believe that when Black Hand is talking to his master,Antimonitor?, and he says "I want them all" he means everyone not just those who have escaped death, although technically I am sure everyone in the DCU has escaped death at one point or another given the crises and such.Can't wait for this to kick off though!
@deathswitch said:

" @Babs said:
" @danhimself said:
" so the way it sounds is that the Black Hand is the Black Lantern's Ionalso am I the only one who thinks that they're just teasing us with all this Bruce Wayne stuff and that Bruce Wayne is not coming back as a Black Lantern "
In order to come back as a Black Lantern, you have to be dead...but he isn't, is he? I agree. I think it's just a way to get people to buy the book. I don't think Bruce will return as a Black Lantern, even though it is mentioned in the book. "
yes but what about the corpse in the batsuit?!
"
I have often wondered that myself...hm...perhaps some feature unique to Darkseid's Omega Beams.I know that they aren't an exact weapon or anything besides the state he was in at the time wasn't natural...probably won't ever be explained in great detail.

#32 Posted by glforthewin (2355 posts) - - Show Bio

she fell into the sea as elclipso with mary marvel during countdown to final crisis

#33 Posted by danhimself (22553 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
"@danhimself said:
" so the way it sounds is that the Black Hand is the Black Lantern's Ionalso am I the only one who thinks that they're just teasing us with all this Bruce Wayne stuff and that Bruce Wayne is not coming back as a Black Lantern "
In order to come back as a Black Lantern, you have to be dead...but he isn't, is he? I agree. I think it's just a way to get people to buy the book. I don't think Bruce will return as a Black Lantern, even though it is mentioned in the book. "

I've been thinking that they're going to try and turn the corpse into a black lantern but they'll fail....and that will get the ball started on people other than Tim trying to hunt down Bruce
#34 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio
@glforthewin said:
"she fell into the sea as elclipso with mary marvel during countdown to final crisis "

lol what?
#35 Edited by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio

Then again looking back at Final Crisis there is a panel where Darkseid says "Can you outrace the omega sanction? the death that is life" so I guess he kinda gave it away right there.Any further information on that event will obviously be presented when Bruce Wayne comes back.

#36 Posted by King Saturn (224210 posts) - - Show Bio
It was pretty good... I am looking forward to more of what The Blackest Night has in store though
Online
#37 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:
" @glforthewin said:
"she fell into the sea as elclipso with mary marvel during countdown to final crisis "
lol what? "
She fell into the sea while posessed by Eclipso with Mary Marvel during the Countdown to Final Crisis
#38 Edited by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio

i read it last week it was very awesome when i saw Atrocitus in the book

and loved the prologue no doubt about it

and i hope you get better babs


#39 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm waiting to get a ring

#40 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

I need to pick this up ASAP!!!

#41 Posted by Rothschild (1311 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
"I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that in order fully be a Black Lantern, he had to kill himself in order to do it. Not sure why he killed his family, though. "

I think the ring feeds off death... and in some secret societies and orders, the ultimate act of faith and loyalty is to not only kill yourself, but those closest to you... This is to ensure that nobody comes before the order as they are now youre only "family"... Its also insurance because your foes cant use anything to blackmail/exploit you with.
#42 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what's wrong with this videos format, but it froze my computer.

#43 Posted by Shanana (53026 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it, i liked how it showed the background of William Hand, and his childhood and his early interactions with the Lanterns. I ALSO liked the the pages where it showed those who had died, it was just a awesome comic.

#44 Posted by Whiskyjack (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Really enjoyed the issue. It definatly left me  wanting more. Well writen. Thank you for the excellent review.

#45 Posted by Obsurity (263 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
"@dreadmaster said:

" @Babs said:

"I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that in order fully be a Black Lantern, he had to kill himself in order to do it. Not sure why he killed his family, though. "
he craves death possibly, i'm betting the emotion of the Black lanterns is Grief. just a possibilty. "
I don't know...I have to disagree. In the first page of the book, they discuss the cosmic revelations, highlighting verse 6 as "the lights of the emotional spectrum" and then go on to say "as the light rises, so shall the DARKNESS," indicating (at least to me) that this has nothing to do with the light spectrum, that it is off the spectrum and a new concept (independent and separate from the light of the other lanterns) completely. "An unknown Darkness with NO satiation. A darkness with NO life." I think this reads as, it has nothing to do with what the other lantern stand for. Not linked to any emotion, rather it is tied to nothingness, darkness, simply put; death.  "

I've been following this series for quite some time. I'm thrilled that I was able to read the issue before watching the review. I hope you feel better Babs. I

absolutely loved this issue. I thought the writing was on par with the artwork. It had a morbit feel to it. I agree that black probably represents a void of all things as opposed to being associated to an emotion. I think if any emotion is expressed by a black lantern it would stem from the remnants of who they were. I think Black Hand will seek out people such as Superman, Hal Jordan ect. Since it's a GL comic I think the focus will be on Hal even though other series will get a blackest night tie in. Notice in the panel where they show the people that have died Bruce wasn't included. The cover better be a gimmick, lol....

#46 Posted by Stealthfart (22 posts) - - Show Bio
Read 2nd paragraph for important warning!

I think this storyline will rock!  I think Bruce's corpse may be used as a Black Lantern or Geoff Johns has another plan for his body.  Bruce is not technically dead, if you understand the Omega Beams, but I think it will touched on in the Blackest Night: Batman issues on whether or not the corpse will come into play.

If you have not yet seen the whole Blackest Night issue list, do not look for it if you don't want to be spoiled, because the titles give an indication as to where this story may lead and how it may turn out.
#47 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
"@DEGRAAF said:
" @glforthewin said:
"she fell into the sea as elclipso with mary marvel during countdown to final crisis "
lol what? "
She fell into the sea while posessed by Eclipso with Mary Marvel during the Countdown to Final Crisis "

no i get that, i asked what bc i didnt see whet that is a comment or answer for. Who fell in to the sea while posessed by eclipso
#48 Posted by War Killer (20213 posts) - - Show Bio

I just got the book today and I enjoyed it, I'm still wondering if I should pick up Blackest Night as well? I would have picked up #1, but I forgot it even came out Today :(

#49 Posted by Pheeke (198 posts) - - Show Bio

it sounds really cool i wanna buy this and get into the story, i love a good written darker story.

I also think thats whats going to happen and it sounds cool, getting those who escaped death ;) 
thanx for the review. 
#50 Posted by Citizen 14 (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

I got it today, along with Blackest Night #1, and Utopia: Chapter 3. I loved it. I loved my ring too. The seen where he kills his family and then himself was epic. This was an awesome comic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.