Follow

Black Cat

Character » Black Cat appears in 1399 issues.

Former cat burglar Felicia Hardy became a crime fighter when she became romantically attracted to and involved with Spider-Man. Felicia has the ability to instill "bad luck" around others - this comes in handy when fighting crime!

Any thoughts or votes for a Black Cat ongoing series?

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter

I've been a big fan of Black Cat for a long time and lately I've been thinking what would it be like to have an ongoing series based on her.

What bought this on was her current appearances in Defenders and the possibility she could become a regular, but then I began thinking would it not be great if they can give her, her own ongoing series and not one that only lasts a few issues.

Few reasons it would be good idea

• She's unpredictable
    • She's smart
    • She has a emotional conflict, especially when it come to relationships (Spider-Man ;-) ;-) ), even-though she doesn't show it
    • She has a lot of potential to grow as a character, but is rarely given the chance, so an ongoing would definitely allow her to do that
    • She definitely has the background to be caught up a number of adventures
    • There is much more I could say, but too many to list.

So with this , I want to put in my vote that they give Black Cat her own ongoing series.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Strider1992

Well Wacker said that she was a character they needed to give direction too at the Spider-man Panel at NYCC so there may be hope for an ongoing or at the very least some more regular appearances.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By fodigg

They've tried Black Cat mini-series before but I never really found her character engaging. Just seemed like a knockoff Catwoman to me.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TDK_1997

She is an interesting character but when she got a mini-series it didn't feel and look really cool and I wasn't that amused with her when she was solo.So,I think that she is better in Spidey's book.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

@fodigg said:

They've tried Black Cat mini-series before but I never really found her character engaging. Just seemed like a knockoff Catwoman to me.

That's what she is, really.

But she's still entertaining in small doses.

Avatar image for behindtheshells
    BehindTheShells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By BehindTheShells

As an avid Black Cat fan, I am all for it. Of course we can't ignore Spidey but her story can be expanded so much.

RJ

spideyfan69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spideyfan69

When somebody says that Black Cat will be in a book, that's basically code for "there's gonna be some fanservice in the book." :)

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Duke_Nasty

@InnerVenom123 said:

@fodigg said:

Yea I agree.

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mpierce2690

I'd definitely read it, and I'm not really a Marvel fan beyond Spidey, Deadpool, and now Captain Marvel.

Her book could be everything that the Catwoman book hasn't been, sorry if it angers anybody to make comparisons between the two. I'd love to read a book about someone who has a genuine affection for a hero (Spider-Man), and is trying to straighten out their life. Not just for a potential romantic angle, though Peter's lack of a marriage opens the door for one, but because they want to do it for themselves as well. I was hoping to see Catwoman's penchant for crime to be written almost like alcoholism, where there are relapses and she might take it hard and what not, but that her overall goal would be to kick the habit. I can definitely see that being applied here.

There needs to be more confident, intelligent, empowered female hero books, so I'd be all for it.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By animehunter

Regarding the possibility she could be a regular on Defenders, is no longer, as the series is ending on issue #12

Black_Cat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Black_Cat7

@mpierce2690 said:

I'd definitely read it, and I'm not really a Marvel fan beyond Spidey, Deadpool, and now Captain Marvel.

Her book could be everything that the Catwoman book hasn't been, sorry if it angers anybody to make comparisons between the two. I'd love to read a book about someone who has a genuine affection for a hero (Spider-Man), and is trying to straighten out their life. Not just for a potential romantic angle, though Peter's lack of a marriage opens the door for one, but because they want to do it for themselves as well. I was hoping to see Catwoman's penchant for crime to be written almost like alcoholism, where there are relapses and she might take it hard and what not, but that her overall goal would be to kick the habit. I can definitely see that being applied here.

There needs to be more confident, intelligent, empowered female hero books, so I'd be all for it.

I've started writing a lame fanfic in my spare time, but that was one of my biggest topics through the first chunk of the story. Felicia would finally start really putting aside her life as a thief, just because of her affection for Peter Parker. A huge part of it would be her struggle for a normal life, possibly a financial collapse (Not enough income to support the extravagant lifestyle she's used to, without stealing) which might result in her going back to old habits, or trying to cope with having less. Her biggest struggle would be trying to fit into some semblance of a normal life, and finally be happy with Peter.

And of course, there'd be plenty of adventures on the side. Story arcs involving her travelling the globe often, doing high risk jobs for the good guys. Plenty of team ups with Peter, and so on. Becoming more of a real person would be kind of a background story that would take only have small bits at first, but start to take over as it impacts her more and more.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Strider1992

@InnerVenom123 said:

@fodigg said:

Thats actually a popular misconception. Black Cat while based on Catwoman was nothing like her. If you put Felicia in another suit she would not have resembled the Selina at the time at all. Catwoman adopted Felicia's personality after Black Cat appeared before hand she wasn't like she is now at all. Black Cat's costume/name is based off Catwoman however Catwoman's personality was heavily influenced and changed when Black Cat appeared on the scene so honestly they are both knock off's of each other. If you want to go back even further there was a character called Cat who appeared before both Catwoman and Black Cat and exhibited Felicia's personality. So its perfectly plausible that both Catwoman and Black Cat are knock off's of her.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13  Edited By x_29

We already got one, its called CatWoman.

soundjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By soundjam

Wouldn't work right now. Best bet Felicia has would be another mini series to gain more fans that would eventually be willing to drop money for an ongoing. More cameos to build a larger fanbase would work as well. There just isn't enough interest right now for enough people to buy a book staring a fairly obscure character. Maybe if it was written by a well known writer, but with most of the heavy hitters currently tied up in bigger projects, I just don't see that either.

Not saying it would be a bad idea. I mean, who would have thought that Hawkeye would be one of the best new books this year? But even that was only possible because of the explosion of new exposure that Cliff received from the Avengers movie. A Black Cat ongoing would have to be executed as perfectly as Hawkeye is now. And even then, she would need a similar boost in popularity before it would even make sense for Marvel to try it.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actual think this could work out. I think the book could add something to the Spider-Man mythos and when venom with flash and not the original venom and Kaine as scarlet Spider can have their own ongoings why not black cat. It could expanding the family tree of spider related titles.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@tupiaz: Nick Fury had his own series.....Felicia deserves it all the way.....

Well ,this isnt happening cause they hate her,and she is out of the picture,since forever,so......i doubt it.....

She was last seen in a mini-series,when Pete was banging her,at a "friends with benefits" relashionship.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

@tupiaz: Nick Fury had his own series.....Felicia deserves it all the way.....

Well ,this isnt happening cause they hate her,and she is out of the picture,since forever,so......i doubt it.....

She was last seen in a mini-series,when Pete was banging her,at a "friends with benefits" relashionship.

AS far as I know it has been 20 years since he had one? And before the avengers movies he wasn't that popular since the cold war since the cold war ended. The longest run his book ever had was like 4 years from 89 to 93. The spy stories where more popular doing the period of the cold war and the end of it than it is now. Also it doesn't matter if Nick Fury has had several ongoings or not. You should be looking at if Black Cat could have her own title or not. I don't think it would be easy to do or it to begin with would be a strong title but it could develop something unique.

Jean199999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Meh...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@tupiaz: They(Marvel) have abandoned the character.....she is dissapeared for ,like,3 years(?).....i dont think smthing will happen....

Also the mini-series(4 issues) in 2011 were preety good,and enjoyable!....that could be a start.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

I would read the hell out of a Black Cat ongoing.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic said:

I would read the hell out of a Black Cat ongoing.

Only if we finally see Black Cat vs Spider-Woman!!!

dizzybone011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if Black Cat appears in a big way in Superior Spider-Man, maybe if she uncovers that Spider-Man isn't Peter or join in with the other characters to discover that Doc Ock swapped his and Peter's minds, then she could have a huge spotlight that could win over people to start her own series.

I'm a Black Cat fan but I can understand how she does not have a large enough fan-base to launch into her own series, but she does have a lot of potential. Though I am scared after being traumatized by new 52 Catwoman I'm scared to have it happen at the same time unless a competent and versatile writer takes control of it. I'd like for the "Spider-Man & Black Cat: Evil Men Can Do" series to be expanded on

spideygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I love the idea!.

Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
    saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100% yes

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.