Follow

Black Canary

Character » Black Canary appears in 3279 issues.

Dinah Lance was born into a family of crime fighters; her mother was a vigilante and her father is a cop. She grew up with the company of heroes, and after years of training, followed in her parent's footsteps by assuming the costume, identity, and legacy of her mother Dinah Drake, the Black Canary.

Thoughts on New 52 Black Canary

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jenkale

so long time fans of Black Canary i would like to have a discussion with you about the new version of Black Canary.

they seem to have merged the two black canarys (mother and daughter) together. her name is now dinah drake making her the original black canary and not the one we have come to know and love and not the one who was with green arrow. (no offense to the original, i like her too) since she is dinah drake she is not a metahuman so she gets her powers from the government (they havent shown it yet but it is discussed in the book Team 7). larry lance is not kurt lance. instead of the two being detectives they are not government agents. kurt also gets psychic powers.

how do you feel about the changes? do you think we will ever see dinah laurel lance (either on earth 2 or from an alternate future)? do you even want to see her? why do you think they made these changes?

i personally have no problem with the whole government agents thing, but not feeling everything else. why does larry have to be kurt now? i dont see the necessity in that. i get that this is suppose to be the era where super humans are just appearing so certain golden age heroes either cant exist (i.e. the atom, red tornado, dr. fate, etc.) but why not just make dinah drake and "kurt" lance government agents back in the day and have their daughter dinah laurel follow in their foot steps and she could be one of the new metahumans popping up and being an agent of the government in team 7 she "escapes" and is on the run from them who just want to use her in their experiments to understand and use metahumans.

lets get this convo rolling

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By colonyofcells

In the silver age, there was only 1 Black Canary, the earth 2 version who moved to earth 1. Bec. of the golden age history, near the end of the bronze age, it was decided to split the Black Canary history into 2 persons : mother and daughter who looked identical. The earth 1 history was all then given to the daughter. With the new 52, it is simpler to just have 1 Black Canary since no more golden age baggage. I prefer Black Canary as an independent character independent of Green Arrow and also independent of Batman so Black Canary can finally be a solo character again like in the golden age. Black Canary should be good enough to beat up Batman and Lady Shiva even without the sonic power. The golden age Black Canary did not have super powers and I prefer the golden age version. The golden age version used gadgets like Batman. I prefer the sonic power to be a gadget.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jenkale

@colonyofcells: yeah i know all the history lol just i knew dinah laurel first (through birds of prey) and read about her mother later. interesting point of view. i agree with you on the point of her skills as a martial artist. before dc screwed us over, dinah was on the fast track of being shiva's replacement. with all she had learned she has to have surpassed batman in that department, as shiva has mastered disciplines that no other knows (she kills the masters of those martial arts that she learns after she has finished her training). i havent really seen this new 52 get down like the old dinah. i dont know its the writer or the artist but the old birds of prey was mostly black canary centric and they would do these really cool panels of her fighting. now, even though she is the team leader, at least when it comes to the fighting scenes its more evened out but she hardly does anything. i have no problems with the sonic scream (some people like powers others dont, im all about power lol) but either way dinah rarely used it. she's a martial artist at her core one of the many things i like about her

BlackRowan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlackRowan

i like new 52 black canary.(always i like black canary)I dont think we will see dinah laurel lance because she will be a small (in age) for all this(with green arrow, justice league, birds of prey) and she will be member in teen titans

i think dc make these changes because want to make her whole story more simple. about kurt i think he is interest character (you know with psychic power and his fake death and all that ''intermingle'' with amanda waller). I expect to see black canary when she will learn that kurt is alive and what she will do with amanda. i love to see it!

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jenkale

@BlackRowan: i think that that's going to happen soon. in birds of prey canary is losing control of her powers with them spiking to incredible levels and she says that that has only happened when kurt was around to boost her powers. she has been hiding it from the team until last issue so they are going to have to investigate this. since she believes kurt to be dead the only solution i can see is her going back to the team 7 lab/department where she got her powers, and have batgirl hack their files then they find out that he's alive. that is going to a very interesting reunion. im sure its amanda waller's idea but he basically framed her for murder. i like kurt's character design and his powers (always loved psychic powers), i need to see more of his character to get a read on him. he hasnt been shown much after the initial 3 or so issues of team 7 but i do like the way that they work together. they are a good team/couple

IanAubrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By IanAubrey

I love Dinah Laurel Lance.. a lot! and i'll admit i was a little heartbroken when her alter ego was revealed to be Dinah Drake.. but it got me thinking that maybe Dinah Drake is merely a name, and the rest of her persona seems to resemble Dinah Laurel Lance a lot: the attitude, the dialogue, the wits, the Canary Cry (although it might not be by metagenes anymore but still, Dinah Drake never had any powers), a Bird of Prey, she's a blonde (no sign of a wig just yet), and that care as expressed in team 7 when children were killed... They've even changed Silver Banshee's name from Siobhan McDougal to Siobhan Smythe, so maybe its just a name change to suit a wholly new DC Universe. Either way, I'm in love with the new Black Canary, I've loved her since i first saw her in JLU and I love her now... i think at some point dinah laurel lance might appear and i'd like to see dc's interpretation of her in the new 52, but i like the New 52's Black Canary, costumes, powers and all...

Rogue_CMT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rogue_CMT

I am a HUGE Black Canary fan and I view Dinah Laurel Lance as the best version of Black Canary I am not a huge fan of what they have done with my favorite character. First of all I HATE the costume I guess it's more tactical looking but I'm a sucker for the fishnets jacket corset combo. I don't like what they did with her ex-husband and the government thing. I'm also a huge fan of the Dinah and Ollie relationship & I feel like with her being Dinah Drake that won't happen. Yes I think it is better to have her independent and a stronger solo character. But common she can still be plenty independent and strong even if she is in a relationship. She doesn't have to be the damsel in distress. The one thing I do like with this new 52 Dinah Drake is the way they are doing the canary cry, I prefer the metahuman, meta gene way but I love the aspect they are going with her having a hard time controlling it. I find it interesting when Heros and heroines have a hard time getting a grasp on their powers. Anyone agree?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@rogue_cmt: Actually she is a metahuman, she even mention several times in Birds of Prey, especially when she mention the Canary Cry. Yes i Know that New 52, Black Canary is Dinah Drake Lance (Lance is from Kurt Lance). Yeah Dinah show that powers are growing (making use it to fly) and sometimes she looses the control of it, but that isn´t her doing, Kurt Lance was behind that. Also i liked the others costumes better mainly her modern costume but new 52 costume has grown on me but i would rather that her costume would be more black than blue. I don´t know if now two Black are fused together or maybe Dinah Lance is going to appear in future. But i rather that Black Canary and Green Arrow ´s relantionship would be on hiatus until for now.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i will always love the old black canary this new one i do like her shockingly, i hate the new costume but dame i do like her. Only thing that i see other than the costume change is the name.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.