Follow

Black Canary

Character » Black Canary appears in 3279 issues.

Dinah Lance was born into a family of crime fighters; her mother was a vigilante and her father is a cop. She grew up with the company of heroes, and after years of training, followed in her parent's footsteps by assuming the costume, identity, and legacy of her mother Dinah Drake, the Black Canary.

Interview: Brenden Fletcher and Annie Wu talk BLACK CANARY

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Spinning out of the pages of BATGIRL, Black Canary is getting her own series. She’s been hanging out in Burnside lately after she lost her place in a fire (we won’t mention who’s responsible). Brenden Fletcher has had a role in writing her recent adventures so it’s makes sense he is now taking over her solo stories. Joining Fletcher is Annie Wu on art. We spoke with the two to find out what’s coming up and how this series may or may not relate to the current BATGIRL series.

COMIC VINE: Where is she going to call home? She’s been hanging out in Burnside.

BRENDEN FLETCHER: She’s been hanging out in Burnside and you’ll see how that kind of transitions into something interesting for her by the end of BATGIRL #40. 40 leads very naturally into her own series. My initial pitch for the series, my one-line pitch still kind of holds true for what it is—it’s a Kung-fu rock and roll road trip. So she’s on tour.

CV: She’s still in the band then we saw in BATIGIRL?

BF: …It’s a different band.

CV: Ahhh.

BLACK CANARY #1
    BLACK CANARY #1

BF: You’ll find out how that all happens actually in the last few pages of BATGIRL #40.

CV: What is Annie bringing to all this?

BF: Everything.

ANNIE WU: Style…I’m really excited. When Brenden described this concept to me, I was immediately so excited and had ideas. I’m really excited to explore not only the superhero aspect of Black Canary but also the theatrical being on stage and the whole performance aspect. And hopefully merging those two things in a way that’s really exciting to have in comic book form.

BF: Fishnets.

AW: Fishnets.

BF: We’re bringing the fishnets back because it makes sense now. She’s on stage. It’s her stage outfit. Oh my god, can I just say, I’m working on the book with the best-dressed people. Not the characters, no one has clothes like the characters in my two books. I wish we could show you the pictures Annie’s done for the band and the clothes that they’re wearing. I said to her, “This is the best footwear I’ve ever seen on a group of people. I would wear these boots.”

AW: Very detailed.

CV: How do you feel about drawing the fishnets?

AW: I feel like it really contributes something to the story. She’s like a rock star so of course she’s going to have torn up fishnets. It’s part of her whole stage deal. So I don’t mind if I have to draw that for ten panels for twenty pages.

CV: You’ll have to note, there’s a rip here…

AW: Fishnet Ripped Continuity! I’m going to do like diagrams and stuff so it’s the same from panel to panel.

CV: Yes! Fishnet Continuity.

BF: I should just illuminate one aspect of BLACK CANARY because we’ve just been talking about the clothes and the music and stuff. You will never have seen Dinah kick as many butts as she does in this series. It’s pretty heavy on the martial arts.

AW: We really want to remind people that she’s lethal.

CV: I was going to say because BIRDS OF PREY before…

BF: This is potentially…bigger than BIRDS OF PREY. Music is just part of the set up. It’s part of the backdrop. It’s a really important part of the setting but so is the butt-kicking.

CV: Butt-kicking and fishnets.

AW: Yeah!

BF: That’s pretty much it.

The butt-kicking beings in June! Here's the solicit for the first issue:

BLACK CANARY #1

Written by BRENDEN FLETCHER

Art and cover by ANNIE WU

1:25 Variant cover by BABS TARR

On sale JUNE 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

Dinah Lance hits the road! After years as a soldier and vigilante, the LAST place Dinah saw herself is on stage…but she’s quickly learning she’d die to protect the gang of misfits she’s fallen into. And she just might have to – for some reason, the newly rechristened band Black Canary seems to be a magnet for trouble…and Dinah’s not gonna believe it when she finds out the reason why! Martial arts, super-spies, and rock ‘n’ roll combine, from Brenden Fletcher (BATGIRL) and Annie Wu (Hawkeye)!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Kung-fu rock and roll road trip.

I like the sound of that.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I am so psyched for this. Feels like a really natural spin out of Batgirl, and it's very cool to see Annie Wu on a DC book. Her style is gonna fit this perfectly.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I haven't been reading Batgirl. Kinda curious about this though.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I dropped off of Batgirl when these folks started, but this seems like it could be a lot of fun. I might give it a try.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    AlwaysBeClothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Been interested in Annie Wu's work since Batgirl Beyond, want to see what she does with Black Canary.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm in!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

WU WUUUUUU ALL ABOARD!

(see what I did there?)

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to it

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So excited for this! So glad they've brough back the fishnets hated her new 52 costume

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If it's anything like the current Batgirl, than i'll pass.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Black Canary is one of my faves!!! Can't wait!

~MiB

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So happy Black Canary is getting her own series..she is one of my favorite female characters..but the new batgirl theme with the punk rock band seems just weird to me I guess.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So excited!!!! This sounds awesome!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This new direction for Black Canary feels tailored just for me, haha. There was a story with Sensation Comics showing Wonder Woman in a band that I adored, and this feels like a continuation of that but with a real Joan Jett type of aggressiveness which fits Dinah so well.

Annie Wu makes this a no brainer for me, too. I am really looking forward to this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.