Black Bolt v Thanos

#1 Posted by Bezza (3364 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm turning into a bit of a Black Bolt fan. Love the way he ko's people with nothing more than a whisper, so cool! Much cooler than bloodying your fists.

Anyway, Black Bolt appears to be getting some decent coverage in Marvel Infinity, so how would he get on if he actually came face to face with the big T himself?

#2 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: He would lose bad. BB's powerful but Thanos is on another level.

Thanos has beaten Thor and Silver Surfer multiple times who are more powerful than BB. He has also fought Odin and gave him a good fight.

#3 Posted by jaqua524 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Legit. Marvel is scaring me though. I hope they aren't building up a defeat of Thanos by Black Bolt. Even if Black Bolt screams, it shouldn't be anything more than a sore inconvenience. He is on another level

#4 Posted by mikex20 (2769 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't Black Bolt be vulnerable if Thanos took the fight into space?

#5 Posted by kcjr (266 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to say. I'm not the biggest Black Bolt expert, but it's hard to imagine Thanos not being prepared for his scream. Thanos is one of the smartest beings in the universe, and also is known to be a planner as well. However, BB has his brother to help him build something to go after Thanos, since that's what it looks like he'll be doing.

#6 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikex20 said:

Do you mean he wouldn't be able to use his voice or be able to breath. Because both are untrue.

Although Black Bolt needs air to breathe, he has been able to fight in space by holding his breath unhindered.

His voice isn't a sound attack. Its a quasi-sonic (which is a bunch of mini explosions) attack which has worked in space.

#7 Posted by mikex20 (2769 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikex20 said:

Do you mean he wouldn't be able to use his voice or be able to breath. Because both are untrue.

Although Black Bolt needs air to breathe, he has been able to fight in space by holding his breath unhindered.

His voice isn't a sound attack. Its a quasi-sonic (which is a bunch of mini explosions) attack which has worked in space.

If Black Bolt's power isn't sound based, how did Dazzler absorb it and convert it into light?

#8 Posted by mikex20 (2769 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikex20 said:

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

@mikex20 said:

If Black Bolt's power isn't sound based, how did Dazzler absorb it and convert it into light?

*shrugs shoulder*

My best guess is that some writers forget it or choose to forget it for the plot. Like Spider Man beating Firelord.

#10 Posted by cameron83 (6638 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikex20 said:

@mikex20 said:

*shrugs shoulder*

My best guess is that some writers forget it or choose to forget it for the plot. Like Spider Man beating Firelord.

Agreed. Just seems like some small inconsistency back in the,what,80s? 90s?

Anyway,it's a quasi-sonic scream,as you said.

#11 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikex20 said:

@mikex20 said:

*shrugs shoulder*

Agreed. Just seems like some small inconsistency back in the,what,80s? 90s?

Anyway,it's a quasi-sonic scream,as you said.

I'm pretty sure its the 80s. Its still not as bad as Sue putting a bubble on his head

#12 Edited by ClawFist (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Bolt's power is potentially unlimited. There's a reason he's so rarely used in these big Marvel arcs, and its because of his power. That's ultimately why Black Bolt and The Sentry never came to blows, they were afraid to destroy the world lol. Thanos is no joke, but neither is Bolt, don't be mistaken.

As for that Dazzler pic, yeah, that's inconsistent, cause his power isn't sound based. Kinda like when they mistake Shocker's power for electricity XD

#13 Edited by SC (12691 posts) - - Show Bio

A character's attack not being sound based doesn't mean it doesn't create sound. Basically Black Bolt's powers aren't just him screaming really loudly, so it was established that Black Bolt can't use his voice because using his vocal chords triggers this ability to mess with particles and electrons in ways most writers will pseudo-science around. So it can be good to emphasis the fact that Black Bolt's powers isn't a strictly vocal attack - that being said again it still will/can make sound. Should still allow for powers based on absorbing sound to work.

#14 Edited by NukeA6 (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaqua524:

I would be more worried of Black Bolt. It looks like he's got a deathwish.

Based on the previews of Infinity that I saw from a magazine, there's gonna be an epic fight with Thanos involving familiar characters. Not gonna spoil.

#15 Posted by jaqua524 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is the villain of the series. You don't take down the villain half way through. Thanos has fought Odin, and Tyrant for pages. I have no problem with Thanos being taken down by multiple characters, but Thanos shouldn't get taken down by Black Bolt. Even if it is a scream. He's far too durable. Thanos smacks around guys who have smacked around Black Bolt. If he loses to Black Bolt, in a one on one, I'm done with this series.

#16 Posted by batmannflash (6187 posts) - - Show Bio

#17 Posted by HumanRocket (7406 posts) - - Show Bio

Ummmm lets wait til issue 4?

#18 Edited by ClawFist (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Bolt won't beat Thanos in issue 4, but that doesn't mean Thanos will beat Black Bolt. I wouldn't count the Midnight King out, he's been going through a major power boost since War of Kings. His voice has always been beyond compare, but his other more physical aspects have been growing exponentially past his original limits. His original Max strength was 60 tons, but he's fought and taken Gladiator, and he's prevented a strike from Terrax, both of which are 75 to over a 100 tons max strength. He also has various other abilities such as matter and energy manipulation.

I'm not saying to count out Thanos, I'm just saying get ready for a fight of epic proportions! :D

@sc You know, I never thought about it like that. I surrender to your epic logic explanation in favor of characters that can absorb sound. I'm just used to defending the point against an argument with other types of characters. Example: His voice can't effect So & So because they're faster than the speed of sound. I don't agree with that example.

#20 Edited by jaqua524 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess we got our answer. Thanos tanked 3 screams from black bolt, one at point blank and he contained it with his freakin hand. And proceeded to then beat him down quickly, and effortlessly. One of the most impressive feats by Thanos

#21 Posted by Bezza (3364 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaqua524 said:

I guess we got our answer. Thanos tanked 3 screams from black bolt, one at point blank and he contained it with his freakin hand. And proceeded to then beat him down quickly, and effortlessly. One of the most impressive feats by Thanos

Flipping fuming about this!! BB's scream has supposed to be powerful enough to level a planet yet Thanos just takes it without flinching.....another reason why I think DC does stories with high powered characters so much better than Marvel......there just isn't consistency in power levels of Marvel's top end guys..

#22 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

@jaqua524 said:

Flipping fuming about this!! BB's scream has supposed to be powerful enough to level a planet yet Thanos just takes it without flinching.....another reason why I think DC does stories with high powered characters so much better than Marvel......there just isn't consistency in power levels of Marvel's top end guys..

Well, if Black Bolt did destroy the planet, he'd destroy earth which is bad. He'd destroy the center point of the Marvel Universe and dozens of heroes and villains. Every hero is weaker on earth for this reason.

#23 Posted by jaqua524 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

@jaqua524 said:

It's fine. Thanos has always been insanely durable, and capable of tanking planet busting attacks. Look at his fight with Odin. The guy has skyfather level durability. This is no surprise. Tanking a scream anyway. But tanking 3, wow.

#24 Edited by ClawFist (296 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't necessarily say he tanked Black Bolt's voice. If you noticed, for the most part, he can't actually get past it. That's why when BB halts his voice, Thanos comes from the air. The most impressive feat I've ever seen in the Marvel Universe, though. Thanos is now the only thing/person/creature to the best of my knowledge to move forward in the face of BB's Quasi-sonic scream, even if it was just his arm and two feet to shut BB up.

I'm not worked up. Just miffed or a tad disappointed. The fight between Thanos and Black Bolt was less than stellar. I knew what the outcome was most probably gonna be. You can't beat the main or co-main villain of an event in the 4th issue of a 6 issue event, so I knew either Black Bolt was gonna lose, or he they would be separated somehow.

Black Bolt loses, and I really don't mind that, I love to see a hero fall, but it's the way they fall that counts to me. Hickman is awesome, I mean you don't always understand his stuff at the beginning, but he knows how to write a fascinating story, I love what he's doing with Black Bolt. I don't, however like how he utilizes Black Bolt. One of the first thing's I noticed in Hickman's writing with Black Bolt in the last volume of FF where Hickman brought Bolt back, is he doesn't hold back his voice anymore. Traditionally, Bolt's voice is the last move he really wants to use, but with Hickman, it's kinda the only thing he uses. He rarely showcases any of his other abilities. This fight with Thanos was no different, and that's disappointing. I would of loved to see some element control, some strength increasing, matter manipulation, but we really only get Bolt screaming at Thanos two times before he literally shuts BB's mouth with the palm of his hand and slams him unconscious. The coolest thing we see in the actual fight, is BB hold back a Thanos punch, but aside from that, he's just shouting. It left much to be desired. Despite Thanos death threat, I'm certain BB isn't dead, though. BUT we did get something cool. You may recall at the end of AvX, when the Phoenix dispersed, it started activating mutants? Well we kind of get the Inhuman version of that here. When BB used his voice in the last issue to hit Thanos and destroy Attilan, well he had his brother Maximus set-up a Terrigen Bomb which would be activated by Attilan's destruction. Anyone in the world, if they have an inkling of Inhuman DNA, including Thanos' son, have now been... activated so to speak. In concept it might kind of feel like another kind of Mutant to be honest, but I dunno, it really hit me as cool, it might just be cause I'm a big fan of the Inhuman lore in Marvel. I dunno xD

#25 Posted by sexy beast (352 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm thinking they will stick Black Bolt back into the mist chamber to heal after the battle with Thanos? Who knows what's next.

#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91110 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Thanos just beat the hell out of Black Bolt?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.