NYCC 2012: Dynamite Entertainment Announces Brian Buccellato on BLACK BAT

Posted by G-Man (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

Dynamite Entertainment has made several announcements this week. Today they announced that Brian Buccellato, co-writer of THE FLASH and writer of FOSTER, will be responsible for bringing back Black Bat.

I'm really excited to have the opportunity to put my stamp on classic character whose origin dates back to the time of such greats as The Shadow, The Phantom, and The Green Hornet. The Black Bat is had the misfortune of sharing the same monicker as arguably the most beloved superhero of all time. Interestingly though, he was a contemporary of and not a copycat or "rip-off" of The Dark Knight. Tony Quinn's origin and motivations were very unique to him. In fact, his origin and costume design influenced some VERY well-known comic characters that came after him.

Black Bat was first introduced in 1939. Originally he was Tony Quinn, a district attorney until a criminal threw acid in his face which resulted in his face being scarred and the loss of his sight. He underwent an experimental surgery which somehow ended up allowing him to see in the dark.

Determined to seek vengeance against the criminal element, he created the costumed identity and continued to fight crime as Black Bat.

Black Bat joins a long-line of successful pulp relaunches at Dynamite. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait until 2013 for the series to debut.

#1 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1119 posts) - - Show Bio

For a minute there, I thought this was about Cassandra Cain coming back.

#2 Posted by 672253 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duo_forbidden: As did I. Got all excited for a second.

#3 Posted by Inverno (13292 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL I read Black Cat and for a moment I thought: did Felicia turned into Dynamite's property?

#4 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duo_forbidden: Same here, what an unfortunate name

#5 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35151 posts) - - Show Bio

He's also going to be in the Masks crossover. Cant wait

#7 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping for some Cassandra news till I saw this is Dynamite.

#8 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Dynamite, trolling Cassandra Cain fans hard

#9 Posted by Dernman (15809 posts) - - Show Bio
@Duo_forbidden said:

Heh that's why I entered this article.
#10 Posted by Decept-O (7294 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds cool.

#11 Posted by zombietag (1483 posts) - - Show Bio

how many "iconic pulp characters" are there??

#12 Posted by NightFang (10274 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

Dynamite, trolling Cassandra Cain fans hard

They playing with my emotions.

#13 Edited by turoksonofstone (12901 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by KZR (481 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL I bet half the people who viewed this thought it was some news on Cassandra Cain.

#15 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh this is amazing. Such a fan of the Black Bat too so this will be a treat to see this eventually! Really gotta love how Dynamite is bringing back pulp era masked avenger types!

#16 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duo_forbidden said:

#17 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@zombietag: A lot of great pulp characters. Hell they should out do DC and bring back Captain Marvel and Blue Beetle.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.