Why is he called Black Adam?

#1 Posted by AmazingFantasy15 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

This might sound stupid but I was reading the Shazam part of Justice league #9 and it started me thinking why they called him Black Adam, I understand his real name is Teth-Adam but they didn't call Captain Marvel red billy so why did they call him Black Adam?

#2 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Because black is the color of evil! I guess they technically should've named him Adam Marvel but I'm sure it had to do with his fall from grace or whatever...it was the 40's, all names were lame in the 40's.

#3 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

@AmazingFantasy15:

He went on a power trip and did the whole "worship me as a god or die" thing, so they called him Black Adam... I would argue, however that as his subjects were not English speaking, he would have been called something like Adam the Black or a rough translation meaning "evil" or something that was then simplified to Black Adam.

#4 Posted by AmazingFantasy15 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah but in Ancient Egypt black was seen as the colour of good because of its association with fertile soil after Nile floods, though if he originally good then black would make sense though why he stuck with it when he went evil makes less sense unless he was just lazy.

#5 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

The Shazam power corrupted him and Shazam gave him the name Black Adam.

#6 Posted by Billy Batson (57968 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's almost a black minority character but still isn't!
BB

#7 Posted by Izaiah (5187 posts) - - Show Bio
@AmazingFantasy15 said:

Yeah but in Ancient Egypt black was seen as the colour of good because of its association with fertile soil after Nile floods, though if he originally good then black would make sense though why he stuck with it when he went evil makes less sense unless he was just lazy.

This is now my headcanon.
#8 Edited by AssertingValor (5391 posts) - - Show Bio

Color of his costume?

#9 Edited by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it was because he turned evil.

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

#10 Posted by herrweis (431 posts) - - Show Bio

well they called him Khem Adam .Khem is a pre-"egyptian" word for black. actually its kemetic with kemet(km.t) being the original name for egypt .it meant black land...not just for the race of people but the rich black soil from the nile river

#11 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

Because black is the color of evil! I guess they technically should've named him Adam Marvel but I'm sure it had to do with his fall from grace or whatever...it was the 40's, all names were lame in the 40's.

So is it impossible to change BA's name to something else?

#12 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is Black......and his name is Adam,I suppose......

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.