Pronunciation of "Adam"

#1 Posted by Joygirl (20040 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if anyone else does this, but I know at least a few people do, myself included. See if this fits you--

When I pronounce Black Adam, I say "blak ah-dum".

However, when I say Teth-Adam, I pronounce it "teth-ah-dahm".

They're both Adam, the same word, spelled the same way... why does the Teth make it so much more exotic? Is that the way it should be said? Or should it always use exotic pronunciation? Should it be "blak ah-dahm"? Or "teth-ah-dum"? Because both of those would be weird.

#2 Posted by Joygirl (20040 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump?

#3 Edited by Ubersoldier (124 posts) - - Show Bio

K and Th, the cause for the differential, soft and hard tones. Common in pronunciation of any language.

#4 Posted by danhimself (22578 posts) - - Show Bio

nope...not me....I read both of them as Adam....but to be fair the only reason I know pronounce Ra's Al Ghul's name the way I do is because of B:TAS....and I can't think of any time I've heard Black Adam's name being pronounced any differently than just plain Adam

#5 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6350 posts) - - Show Bio

I always pronounce it like "atom," or "adom." That's probably wrong, though.

#6 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess that's just how it rolls off the tongue hehe

#7 Posted by Joygirl (20040 posts) - - Show Bio

I always pronounce it like "atom," or "adom." That's probably wrong, though.

That may actually be right, seeing as he is Egyptian Kahndaqian. Either Atom/Atum or "ad-DAHM" is likely the most accurate, I think.

#8 Posted by SC (13145 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't matter, Rogue still wins.

#9 Edited by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh if it's the Egyptian pronunciation then i believe it's "Atum" (Ah-Tuum)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.