Follow

Bishop

Character » Bishop appears in 2985 issues.

Lucas Bishop is a mutant from the 22nd century that traveled into the past, becoming a member of the X-Men, and later, the Uncanny X-Force. He has the mutant ability to absorb and redirect any kinetic energy that is used against him or that is released in his general vicinity. He is the first black male team member within the X-Men Universe.

What is Bishop's ethnicity? Black? African-American? Niether?

• 53 results
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mr Creesy

My friend and I were having a debate whether are not Bishop is black are not. His parents are from Austrailia but came to america before they had him. He was born in Brooklyn. Does that make him a black man, African American or neither. Museumofblacksuperheroes.com has him listed as a black man, but I'm not sure how credible that is. 

Anyone with any comic info on the topic let us know. Its not really a big deal, we are just curious to what the true answer is. Only serious comments please.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DH69

he's obviously korean

Rothschild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Rothschild

I've always assumed he's black... Arent the Aboriginal people of Australia considered to be black?

Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mr Creesy

Correct me if I'm wrong about any of his origins I posted. I got the info of a wiki site.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @Rothschild:
    That's what I thought. I was just checking to see if anyone had any comic evidence that proved otherwise.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself

according to his latest mini "The Times and Life of Lucas Bishop"  his grandmother appears to be Storm so assuming that either his mother or father is Storm's child and assuming that Black Panther is his grandfather that takes care of that part of the family tree

Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @danhimself said:
    "

according to his latest mini "The Times and Life of Lucas Bishop"  his grandmother appears to be Storm so assuming that either his mother or father is Storm's child and assuming that Black Panther is his grandfather that takes care of that part of the family tree

"

What universe does his latest mini come from? Sounds like something i would wanna go pick up! @danhimself:
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @danhimself said:
    "

"

Do you have any scans of that? I would like to see em if you got 'em.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By Zoom
    @danhimself said:
    "Black Panther is his grandfather"
    So according to Hudlin, that makes Bishop African American.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @Zoom said:
    "@danhimself said:
    So according to Hudlin, that makes Bishop African American. "

LoL..why are you guys so hard on Hudlin? I like what he's done with Black Panther. He turned him from a B-Level character into a bonafide superstar! That's my opinon anyways. I don't want Hudlin hate to ruin this forum though.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By danhimself
    @Mr Creesy:       I'm not sure what universe it takes place in...just that it's in the future...I don't have any scans at the moment...the mini was just released recently 

Bishop's past has been screwed around with a lot lately....originally he came back to stop the X-Traitor aka Onslaught but whenever Hope was born it seemed like his past was altered and his only reason for coming back was to kill Hope...even events in the mini were different then the things we were told about him before...the woman in the mini that he calls his grandmother sure does look like Storm but she's never called anything other then "grandmother"....but prior to Hope being born we were led to believe that Gateway was his Grandfather so at this point we can't really be sure who is related to him and who isn't
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @danhimself said:
    "@Mr Creesy:       I'm not sure what universe it takes place in...just that it's in the future...I don't have any scans at the moment...the mini was just released recently  Bishop's past has been screwed around with a lot lately....originally he came back to stop the X-Traitor aka Onslaught but whenever Hope was born it seemed like his past was altered and his only reason for coming back was to kill Hope...even events in the mini were different then the things we were told about him before...the woman in the mini that he calls his grandmother sure does look like Storm but she's never called anything other then "grandmother"....but prior to Hope being born we were led to believe that Gateway was his Grandfather so at this point we can't really be sure who is related to him and who isn't "

I knew this wouldn't be cut and dry as he's black. He's not black. Thanks for your info though. I'll see what other post come in.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @Truex said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @Mr Creesy:       I'm not sure what universe it takes place in...just that it's in the future...I don't have any scans at the moment...the mini was just released recently  Bishop's past has been screwed around with a lot lately....originally he came back to stop the X-Traitor aka Onslaught but whenever Hope was born it seemed like his past was altered and his only reason for coming back was to kill Hope...even events in the mini were different then the things we were told about him before...the woman in the mini that he calls his grandmother sure does look like Storm but she's never called anything other then "grandmother"....but prior to Hope being born we were led to believe that Gateway was his Grandfather so at this point we can't really be sure who is related to him and who isn't "
    He would have two sets of grandparents so Gateway could still be related to him. The Hope thing still doesn't make sense because his time was created by Onslaught and that would make it so Hope wouldn't exist. But as with most characters from alternate futures/timelines trying to decipher their past may cause exploding head syndrome. "

I'm absorbing all the knowledge...thanks for the good info.
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

Perhaps that new kid in "Secret Warriors" that's apparently related to Gateway someday hooks-up with the future daughter of Black Panther & Storm, thus creating Bishop? 

Sure, why not...*Shrugs*

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Zoom
    @Mr Creesy said:
    "@Zoom said:
    "@danhimself said:
    LoL..why are you guys so hard on Hudlin? I like what he's done with Black Panther. He turned him from a B-Level character into a bonafide superstar! That's my opinon anyways. I don't want Hudlin hate to ruin this forum though. "
    Mainly because he made a billion retcons, turned Black Panther into a copy of the worst of Blade and calls people from Africa who live in Africa African Americans.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @Zoom said:
    "@Mr Creesy said:
    "@Zoom said:
    "@danhimself said:
    LoL..why are you guys so hard on Hudlin? I like what he's done with Black Panther. He turned him from a B-Level character into a bonafide superstar! That's my opinon anyways. I don't want Hudlin hate to ruin this forum though. "
    Mainly because he made a billion retcons, turned Black Panther into a copy of the worst of Blade and calls people from Africa who live in Africa African Americans. "
    LOL..I didn't say Hudlin was perfect though. I just said I liked what he was doing with the character. Any info on Bishop?
    Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Phorqe
    @Truex said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @Mr Creesy:       I'm not sure what universe it takes place in...just that it's in the future...I don't have any scans at the moment...the mini was just released recently  Bishop's past has been screwed around with a lot lately....originally he came back to stop the X-Traitor aka Onslaught but whenever Hope was born it seemed like his past was altered and his only reason for coming back was to kill Hope...even events in the mini were different then the things we were told about him before...the woman in the mini that he calls his grandmother sure does look like Storm but she's never called anything other then "grandmother"....but prior to Hope being born we were led to believe that Gateway was his Grandfather so at this point we can't really be sure who is related to him and who isn't "
    He would have two sets of grandparents so Gateway could still be related to him. The Hope thing still doesn't make sense because his time was created by Onslaught and that would make it so Hope wouldn't exist. But as with most characters from alternate futures/timelines trying to decipher their past may cause exploding head syndrome. "
    Usually in stories where someone is sent to the past to change something, they disappear after they've completed their task because their time line never happened. Bishop is an interesting character so they didn't want to get rid of him so came up with the "there's another traitor" theory. Is he still trying to kill the baby? I've given up on X-men since they created Mrs. Sinister and wasn't a huge fan of the Cable monthly that came out, so I'm out of the loop.
    Brotha-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Brotha-Man

Yeah he is black with Aboriginal heritage. At one point it is implied that Gateway is his relative. When I was young and even now Bishop was my and still is my favorite X-Men character. I'm kinda weirded out by them turning him into a crazed baby killer, but none the less I love Bishop. He has always been perceived as an African-American tone to him in his animation incarnations so I have always counted as a brotha.
    yodagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By yodagod

Australian aboriginal heritage would make him caucasian.  According to genetic testing Australian aboriginals are hardly realted to anyone else on the planet, they have 0% African genes, and until they are classified any better, are considered caucasian since that is who they are actually closest to.  That being said I don't think he is primarily aboriginal though he may have some aborigine heritage.  I believe he is mostly black.  Since he has always been depicted that way as were his parents, sister, and children I believe he is intended to be black.  His character even followed African-American fashion trends.  Just because he isn't written as some complete cliche' sterotype (other than the stereotypical name) who speaks in ebonics doesn't make him less "black".  He is a strong, intelligent, usually well written character with a very cool powerset, who until recently epitomized heroism.  I would think anyone would be proud to call him a brother.  Though if you decifer his family tree as Storm and T'challa and Gateway and some unnamed aboriginal woman as his grandparents that makes him mostly caucasian, since Storm is half black and half white and aborigines are "white".  I don't believe that that's the case here.  I doubt he's related to Storm or Black Panther at all, though I have nothing to prove it.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#21  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Brotha-Man: X-Men: The Animated Series made Bishop African-American, but mainly because it was an easy assumption to make.  It was Claremont who changed that.  Near the start of the X-Treme X-Men (within the first year, but I can't remember which issue off-hand), Bishop experienced some sort of trance in which he met Gateway and realised that he was his grandfather. 

@Mr Creesy: Well, no matter what Bishop is a black man.  He obviously isn't Caucasian, Chinese, Native American, etc...  The colour of his skin doesn't change his nationality.   

If he was born in America, then he's an American.  We know that Gateway is his grandfather, but that doesn't make him Aboriginal-American.  If Storm is his grandmother (presumably on the other side of the family; I don't want to think about Storm & Gateway together! ;) then he could claim to be African-American... but I do't know where or when it was established that she's related, so I'm still doubtful about that.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @yodagod said:

"Australian aboriginal heritage would make him caucasian.  According to genetic testing Australian aboriginals are hardly realted to anyone else on the planet, they have 0% African genes, and until they are classified any better, are considered caucasian since that is who they are actually closest to.  That being said I don't think he is primarily aboriginal though he may have some aborigine heritage.  I believe he is mostly black.  Since he has always been depicted that way as were his parents, sister, and children I believe he is intended to be black.  His character even followed African-American fashion trends.  Just because he isn't written as some complete cliche' sterotype (other than the stereotypical name) who speaks in ebonics doesn't make him less "black".  He is a strong, intelligent, usually well written character with a very cool powerset, who until recently epitomized heroism.  I would think anyone would be proud to call him a brother.  Though if you decifer his family tree as Storm and T'challa and Gateway and some unnamed aboriginal woman as his grandparents that makes him mostly caucasian, since Storm is half black and half white and aborigines are "white".  I don't believe that that's the case here.  I doubt he's related to Storm or Black Panther at all, though I have nothing to prove it. "

From what I know about  the Aboriginal people is that they identify themselves as being black. They also have very African features looking at pictures of them so its kinda hard to see their caucasion side. I could be completly wrong though. Anyhow, I'm completely convinced that bishop is a black man. Its still to be seen if he is an African-American black man since he was born in America. I would love to see the scans where there maybe some relation with Storm and Black Panther.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "@Brotha-Man: X-Men: The Animated Series made Bishop African-American, but mainly because it was an easy assumption to make.  It was Claremont who changed that.  Near the start of the X-Treme X-Men (within the first year, but I can't remember which issue off-hand), Bishop experienced some sort of trance in which he met Gateway and realised that he was his grandfather. 

@Mr Creesy: Well, no matter what Bishop is a black man.  He obviously isn't Caucasian, Chinese, Native American, etc...  The colour of his skin doesn't change his nationality.    If he was born in America, then he's an American.  We know that Gateway is his grandfather, but that doesn't make him Aboriginal-American.  If Storm is his grandmother (presumably on the other side of the family; I don't want to think about Storm & Gateway together! ;) then he could claim to be African-American... but I do't know where or when it was established that she's related, so I'm still doubtful about that. "

I agree with Bishop being black. Now I would like to see some scans of his latest mini where they hint that Storm and Black Panther are his kin. Then he'll be African American black if its true. 
    yodagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By yodagod
    @Mr Creesy: 
    Aborigines identify with being an ethic minority, and were assumed to be black by most white settlers so it would make sense that they would identify with being black.  But starting in the eighties and continuing currently scientists, in an effort to better understand our roots have been studying and comparing the genetic structures of all races and ethnicities, especially isolated groups.  They found very little DNA matches between Australian aboriginals and anyone, but they are closest to caucasians. 
    Storm's mother was a Kenyen "sorceress" and was black, her father was white, either Egyptian or British depending on which origin story .  I believe he was introduced as an Egyptian but was later changed to a British archaeologist in Africa for research when he met Storm's mother. 
    If Bishop is related to Storm and Black panther he would not technically be African American since he's not born in the US.  Storm has citizenship in Britain, Kenya, Egypt, and Wakanda (not sure about the US), and as far as I know T'challa only has Wakandan citizenship so Bishop's African heritage would be well established.  But he was born in Australia and I don't think ever transferred his citizenship, so he's technically African-Australian.  Either way he's black, and he's very cool.
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://en.allexperts.com/e/b/bi/bishop_%28comics%29.htm

Given that very little is known about Bishop's past before he appeared in the present time, much has been hinted at and speculated about regarding his origin. One theory that has prevailed is that Bishop is one of Storm's descendants. Some questioned this theory's legitimacy once Bishop and Storm began to have a romantic relationship. Others have argued the possibility that a relationship between Storm and Bishop in the present might lead to descendants, one of which would become Bishop himself someday and creating a predestination paradox.

In an early issue of Generation X, Bishop becomes disoriented and mistakes M for his mother. It has also been indicated that the Australian aboriginal mutant Gateway is his great-grandfather although it is not certain. Interestingly, Gateway was M's mentor prior to her joining Generation X. The matter of M being Bishop's mother is still speculation, as it has yet to be confirmed.

In the Marvel Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, a history is provided to explain Bishop's origin. It writes:

"Lucas Bishop was born in the 21st Century A.D. of an alternate future timeline in which mutant-hunting robot Sentinels had taken control of North America....Bishop's parents escaped to America shortly before the island nation of Australia was destroyed in a tactical nuclear strike. They were soon captured and interred in a mutant relocation camp in Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn, New York. There, Bishop and his sister Shard were born and, like other mutants, they were branded with 'M' tattoos over their right eyes for identification." This sheds some light onto the possibility of Bishop and Shard being Aboriginal Australians, their great-grandfather being Gateway. However, back in 1991 during the early international releases of X-Men, official trading cards from Marvel state that he is of American nationality but of Filipino ethnicity (the card says he was born in Tondo, an impoverished district of Manila, the Philippines' capital city), which is not unlikely as Whilce Portacio, Bishop's creator is himself half Filipino. Many fans do consider him to be African American as that was his intented ethinicity during his first appearances. 

----
    factual and by Marvel and Bishops creator parts highlighted, rumor by readers is not.

Bishop is the result of the melting pot. so is his sister (note blond hair). he is not a race, as he has been bred into being a non.
    that was a huge point made in the roiginal story, and it was a metaphor to the mutant syndrome, where no one was a race, but
    one race under militancy, each rejected by those who considered them "flawed" or "abnormal" for one thing or another.
    like myself, he is a "mutt", or a " Heinz 57 " if you will. Gateway and Storm have never been confirmed.therefore this is 
    what youve presented here is assumption, not because of what is known, but because of what you want.. like i said
    when we talked almost a month ago about this, he can be black if you want. so can Egyptians, but dont say that to them
    ever in their country, lest you value your life.

Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @yodagod said:
    "@Mr Creesy: Aborigines identify with being an ethic minority, and were assumed to be black by most white settlers so it would make sense that they would identify with being black.  But starting in the eighties and continuing currently scientists, in an effort to better understand our roots have been studying and comparing the genetic structures of all races and ethnicities, especially isolated groups.  They found very little DNA matches between Australian aboriginals and anyone, but they are closest to caucasians. Storm's mother was a Kenyen "sorceress" and was black, her father was white, either Egyptian or British depending on which origin story .  I believe he was introduced as an Egyptian but was later changed to a British archaeologist in Africa for research when he met Storm's mother. If Bishop is related to Storm and Black panther he would not technically be African American since he's not born in the US.  Storm has citizenship in Britain, Kenya, Egypt, and Wakanda (not sure about the US), and as far as I know T'challa only has Wakandan citizenship so Bishop's African heritage would be well established.  But he was born in Australia and I don't think ever transferred his citizenship, so he's technically African-Australian.  Either way he's black, and he's very cool. "

You sure about Bishop being born in Australia? I read he was born in a mutant camp in Brooklyn, New York.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @CATMANEXE said:
    "  

Given that very little is known about Bishop's past before he appeared in the present time, much has been hinted at and speculated about regarding his origin. One theory that has prevailed is that Bishop is one of Storm's descendants. Some questioned this theory's legitimacy once Bishop and Storm began to have a romantic relationship. Others have argued the possibility that a relationship between Storm and Bishop in the present might lead to descendants, one of which would become Bishop himself someday and creating a predestination paradox.

In an early issue of Generation X, Bishop becomes disoriented and mistakes M for his mother. It has also been indicated that the Australian aboriginal mutant Gateway is his great-grandfather although it is not certain. Interestingly, Gateway was M's mentor prior to her joining Generation X. The matter of M being Bishop's mother is still speculation, as it has yet to be confirmed.

In the MarvelOfficial Handbook of the Marvel Universe, a history is provided to explain Bishop's origin. It writes:

"Lucas Bishop was born in the 21st Century A.D. of an alternate future timeline in which mutant-hunting robot Sentinels had taken control of North America....Bishop's parents escaped to America shortly before the island nation of Australia was destroyed in a tactical nuclear strike. They were soon captured and interred in a mutant relocation camp in Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn, New York. There, Bishop and his sister Shard were born and, like other mutants, they were branded with 'M' tattoos over their right eyes for identification." This sheds some light onto the possibility of Bishop and Shard being Aboriginal Australians, their great-grandfather being Gateway. However, back in 1991 during the early international releases of X-Men, official trading cards from Marvel state that he is of American nationality but of Filipino ethnicity (the card says he was born in Tondo, an impoverished district of Manila, the Philippines' capital city), which is not unlikely as Whilce Portacio, Bishop's creator is himself half Filipino. Many fans do consider him to be African American as that was his intented ethinicity during his first appearances.    ----factual and by Marvel and Bishops creator parts highlighted, rumor by readers is not.  Bishop is the result of the melting pot. so is his sister (note blond hair). he is not a race, as he has been bred into being a non. that was a huge point made in the roiginal story, and it was a metaphor to the mutant syndrome, where no one was a race, but one race under militancy, each rejected by those who considered them "flawed" or "abnormal" for one thing or another. like myself, he is a "mutt", or a " Heinz 57 " if you will. Gateway and Storm have never been confirmed.therefore this is  what youve presented here is assumption, not because of what is known, but because of what you want.. like i said when we talked almost a month ago about this, he can be black if you want. so can Egyptians, but dont say that to them ever in their country, lest you value your life. "

All black people in America are mixed with something unless they migrated from Africa. Bishop being a "mutt" would make him fit right in. Marvel really did a piss poor job in stating Bishop's origin....Filipino? Austrailian? American? Mutant black man? He has to be the most confused character of all time! Since Marvel and their writers seem to be totally clueless as to what they want  Bishop to be. I'ma say, he looks black, he is black. That's of course until they turn him Korean. Thanks for all the info. It really cleared things up for me. (Mr Creesy is banging his head against a wall)
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Darkchild

Hes of aboriginal decent, the only thing australia has to dow ith his birth right is thats where his family came from.

Best way to explain it is Gateway. The mans an aboriginy and in some universe (dont remember i just know i read it) was stated that Gateway is in realtion to Bishop and Storm.

Its also solidified this info in the new mini that he related to Storm. So African decent aswell besides Aboriginal.

Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @Darkchild said:
    "

Hes of aboriginal decent, the only thing australia has to dow ith his birth right is thats where his family came from.

Best way to explain it is Gateway. The mans an aboriginy and in some universe (dont remember i just know i read it) was stated that Gateway is in realtion to Bishop and Storm.

Its also solidified this info in the new mini that he related to Storm. So African decent aswell besides Aboriginal.

"

Thank you soooo much. That was the clearest answer I got  in this entire thread. No offense to anyone. Do you have any scans you can post?
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mr Creesy said:
    " @CATMANEXE said:
    "  

In the MarvelOfficial Handbook of the Marvel Universe, a history is provided to explain Bishop's origin. It writes:

"Lucas Bishop was born in the 21st Century A.D. of an alternate future timeline in which mutant-hunting robot Sentinels had taken control of North America....Bishop's parents escaped to America shortly before the island nation of Australia was destroyed in a tactical nuclear strike. They were soon captured and interred in a mutant relocation camp in Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn, New York. There, Bishop and his sister Shard were born and, like other mutants, they were branded with 'M' tattoos over their right eyes for identification." This sheds some light onto the possibility of Bishop and Shard being Aboriginal Australians, their great-grandfather being Gateway. However, back in 1991 during the early international releases of X-Men, official trading cards from Marvel state that he is of American nationality but of Filipino ethnicity (the card says he was born in Tondo, an impoverished district of Manila, the Philippines' capital city), which is not unlikely as Whilce Portacio, Bishop's creator is himself half Filipino. Many fans do consider him to be African American as that was his intented ethinicity during his first appearances.    ----factual and by Marvel and Bishops creator parts highlighted, rumor by readers is not.  Bishop is the result of the melting pot. so is his sister (note blond hair). he is not a race, as he has been bred into being a non. that was a huge point made in the roiginal story, and it was a metaphor to the mutant syndrome, where no one was a race, but one race under militancy, each rejected by those who considered them "flawed" or "abnormal" for one thing or another. like myself, he is a "mutt", or a " Heinz 57 " if you will. Gateway and Storm have never been confirmed.therefore this is  what youve presented here is assumption, not because of what is known, but because of what you want.. like i said when we talked almost a month ago about this, he can be black if you want. so can Egyptians, but dont say that to them ever in their country, lest you value your life. "
    All black people in America are mixed with something unless they migrated from Africa. Bishop being a "mutt" would make him fit right in. Marvel really did a piss poor job in stating Bishop's origin....Filipino? Austrailian? American? Mutant black man? He has to be the most confused character of all time! Since Marvel and their writers seem to be totally clueless as to what they want  Bishop to be. I'ma say, he looks black, he is black. That's of course until they turn him Korean. Thanks for all the info. It really cleared things up for me. (Mr Creesy is banging his head against a wall) "
    the only part you need to know is that really. what it boils down to is...pick one. im not being funny either.
    he has no technical origin. so whatever you want. he is obviosly depicited in some art as African...yet in
    other artworks as not. then again so is Storm, though less.

and no, Storm is not his relative. his grandmother was dark skinned with white hair. must have been Storm?
    ( the mini never once states this), she was old, duh. grey hair people. before this fans also believed (no joke here either)
    that Storm was Cables grandmother or whatever because of his hair color (Jean and Scott?!!!) and would not let up on it.
    so Marvel heard this in many letters, at conventions ect, and printed in a story that Storm was his godmother, in other words
    his babysitter. that of course confused many people who think godmother and grandmother are the same. its baout as good
    as Apocalypse...no wait, Gambit, i mean, Adam XTreme, okay, Vulcan being the 3rd Summers brother. its rumor and unfortunatly
    at one time or another a writer played with it a little, and the implication taken out of hand (Ms.marvel and Spider-man are hooking up,
    have you heard?)

so whats important. knowing that he has no true confirmed origin, with the exception of the one that was made by his creator....
    then like any good x-character he got retconned six ways to Sunday. so pick the one you like is all you can really do
    in the end. i would go African myself, if not for the reasons i said earlier, especially since those were by his maker, on panel, and in the Official marvel Handbook, straight from the source.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " @Mr Creesy said:
    " @CATMANEXE said:
    "  

All black people in America are mixed with something unless they migrated from Africa. Bishop being a "mutt" would make him fit right in. Marvel really did a piss poor job in stating Bishop's origin....Filipino? Austrailian? American? Mutant black man? He has to be the most confused character of all time! Since Marvel and their writers seem to be totally clueless as to what they want  Bishop to be. I'ma say, he looks black, he is black. That's of course until they turn him Korean. Thanks for all the info. It really cleared things up for me. (Mr Creesy is banging his head against a wall) "
    the only part you need to know is that really. what it boils down to is...pick one. im not being funny either. he has no technical origin. so whatever you want. he is obviosly depicited in some art as African...yet in other artworks as not. then again so is Storm, though less.  and no, Storm is not his relative. his grandmother was dark skinned with white hair. must have been Storm? ( the mini never once states this), she was old, duh. grey hair people. before this fans also believed (no joke here either) that Storm was Cables grandmother or whatever because of his hair color (Jean and Scott?!!!) and would not let up on it. so Marvel heard this in many letters, at conventions ect, and printed in a story that Storm was his godmother, in other words his babysitter. that of course confused many people who think godmother and grandmother are the same. its baout as good as Apocalypse...no wait, Gambit, i mean, Adam XTreme, okay, Vulcan being the 3rd Summers brother. its rumor and unfortunatly at one time or another a writer played with it a little, and the implication taken out of hand (Ms.marvel and Spider-man are hooking up, have you heard?)  so whats important. knowing that he has no true confirmed origin, with the exception of the one that was made by his creator.... then like any good x-character he got retconned six ways to Sunday. so pick the one you like is all you can really do in the end. i would go African myself, if not for the reasons i said earlier, especially since those were by his maker, on panel, and in the Official marvel Handbook, straight from the source. "

I guess I have a new best answer for this thread. Thank you for all your factual points you have brought to the table. For the record though, We can all agree on one thing. That thing is, no matter which way you slice it Bishop is still a black man at the end of the day. Am I right or is there a 60% chance that he may be a Cheerokee Indian? JK...I know he's black.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well, he's definatly not a caucasian if thats what you mean.
    im part American Indian, 16th if i remember. i dont consider myself
    one though. i go by mutt.lol. people think im Mexican. im not a part that.
    rascism is stupid in any form. figuring out the logic in comics sometimes
    may be even harder than that.

Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @CATMANEXE said:
    "well, he's definatly not a caucasian if thats what you mean. im part American Indian, 16th if i remember. i dont consider myself one though. i go by mutt.lol. people think im Mexican. im not a part that. rascism is stupid in any form. figuring out the logic in comics sometimes may be even harder than that. "

LoL...Amen to that brother.  Racism is very stupid. As far as comics go, I believe minority  readers sometimes just want to see one of their own be a superhero or supervillian, but all the effort It has taken to discover the meaning of Bishop's dark skin. I doubt I'll ever question another character.
    Brotha-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Brotha-Man

My final, and unchangable, analysis is my man Bishop is a Black man. He may or may not be Afro-American, but he is Black. With that said, I'm going to buy that new Marvel game and see if Bishop is an available character.      

........................................................Oh and one more thing... 

MO POWER TO YEAH, BROTHA BISHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @Brotha-Man:
    Nice. I always thought Bishop was black. Now he has a thread to prove it for all time.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By joshmightbe

i think hes atleast half black
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @joshmightbe said:
    "i think hes atleast half black "

That statement maybe true but that will still make him a black man. Almost all black people in America are mixed with something, but we're still black people. Just like President Obama.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By joshmightbe

i personally always thought he was black but marvel does love to confuse people

Darkspyda15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Darkspyda15

Storms father was def black he was from new york and her mother was a princess in africa.
    Darkspyda15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Darkspyda15
    @yodagod said:

"@Mr Creesy: Aborigines identify with being an ethic minority, and were assumed to be black by most white settlers so it would make sense that they would identify with being black.  But starting in the eighties and continuing currently scientists, in an effort to better understand our roots have been studying and comparing the genetic structures of all races and ethnicities, especially isolated groups.  They found very little DNA matches between Australian aboriginals and anyone, but they are closest to caucasians. Storm's mother was a Kenyen "sorceress" and was black, her father was white, either Egyptian or British depending on which origin story .  I believe he was introduced as an Egyptian but was later changed to a British archaeologist in Africa for research when he met Storm's mother. If Bishop is related to Storm and Black panther he would not technically be African American since he's not born in the US.  Storm has citizenship in Britain, Kenya, Egypt, and Wakanda (not sure about the US), and as far as I know T'challa only has Wakandan citizenship so Bishop's African heritage would be well established.  But he was born in Australia and I don't think ever transferred his citizenship, so he's technically African-Australian.  Either way he's black, and he's very cool. "

Her mother, N'Dare Munroe, married an American photojournalist, David Munroe, and they lived in Manhattan. They moved to Cairo, Egypt when Ororo was still an infant. she was born in ny.    
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mr Creesy

@yodagod said: 
     Storm's mother was a Kenyen "sorceress" and was black, her father was white, either Egyptian or British depending on which origin story .  I believe he was introduced as an Egyptian but was later changed to a British archaeologist in Africa for research when he met Storm's mother. If Bishop is related to Storm and Black panther he would not technically be African American since he's not born in the US.  "

Storm's biological father is black and Bishop was born in Brooklyn. If Bishop has any relation to Black Panther or Storm then he would definetly be African American.

Kastiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By Kastiel

Can't we just all agree that he is definitely African in someway?

Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @Kastiel said:
    "Can't we just all agree that he is definitely African in someway? "

LoL...I wish it was that easy. More likely than not, it appears that Bishop is African American. Well that's the analysis I've come up. Definitely he's black.
    ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ryanwh

Are you really asking if he's black or African American? Idiot.

Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @ryanwh said:
    "Are you really asking if he's black or African American? Idiot. "

Idiot? Did you even read the thread before posting? I said I am convinced that Bishop is undoubtedly black. I reached that conclusion from all those who posted with their opinions and my own research. Being black and being African American black are two different things. Bishop is a black man. Its still a mystery if he's African American.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @ryanwh:
    There are black people in the world who aren't born in the United States. That makes them black people but not African American. Way to show how intelligent you are. Genius.
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwh said:
    " Are you really asking if he's black or African American? Idiot. "
    try to speak to users with respect please
    Ozymandius6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ozymandius6

In Xtreme X-men when Psylocke dies, its revealed that Bishop is actually related to Gateway. So the fact that whether he is black or african american is irrelevent. African american is just a PC term referred to all black men and women. But if it matters that much, african american means that hes decended from Africa, which hes not.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @Ozymandius6 said:
    "In Xtreme X-men when Psylocke dies, its revealed that Bishop is actually related to Gateway. So the fact that whether he is black or african american is irrelevent. African american is just a PC term referred to all black men and women. But if it matters that much, african american means that hes decended from Africa, which hes not. "

Black is not just a PC term no more than being White is. If you ask a white person what their race is they will tell you White. If you have to fill out a form that ask "what is your race?". Options that appear are White (non-Hispanic), Black (non-Hispanic) etc. If Bishop does turn out to be Storm's grandson, then he's African American (as in born in America with African descendants). Gateway maybe Bishop's grandfather but remember that everyone has two sets of grandparents. Black skin, African descendants, born in America makes you black/African American. Even without African descendants he's still a black man at the end of the day. That has been debated this entire thread and Bishop is unanimously Black. Nothing else to talk about.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PrinceIMC

I've always been a Bishop fan and have agreed with most of the points mentioned here even the ones that contradicted the other ones (time travel is fun). Unfortunately there hasn't been a definitive Bishop family tree to explain it all and there probably never will be since it keeps the mystery, just lots of questions and a few confirmations. I remember several minis dealing with Bishop's childhood where he was partially raised by his white haired, dark skinned grandmother who had a connection to the X-Men somehow. It coulda been Storm maybe but I was kinda hoping it'd be Monet since there are a few coincidences (like the symmetry of Shard being turned into an Emplate in the future). I kinda hoped that the St. Croixs had a concrete relation to Gateway too. Though there's also the chance that Gateway isn't just his grandfather but great-grandfather.

I don't remember any 'confirmation' that Storm was related to him other than his grandmother having white hair though, someone needs to show the specifics. Bishop being a time traveler even if he is descended from Storm doesn't mean he's descended from T'Challa. When he first arrived she was involved with Forge and it was partially Bishops arrival that broke them up, maybe he could be descended from them? Bishops travels through the timestream though could be used to explain the contradictory origins and such. We really need a Donna Troy like explanation of multiple origins melding into one or something.

I also think though that it is safe to say that Bishop is at least mixed race due to Shard's skin tone and hair color in comparison to him. More and more people are intermarrying with cultures they might not have in the past, who knows in 50 or 80 years we might be a lot more blended. Reminds me of a joke on the Daily Show where an 'expert' (I think it was the guy from the Mac commercials) said that in a hundred years we're all going to have a 'soft pumpkin' skin tone using a picture of Thing as an example. Since the majority of the possibilities include dark skinned ethnicities like African, Aboriginal Australian and Algerian and are likely a combination of them I'd call Bishop's ethnicity black.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.