Follow

Birds of Prey

Team » Birds of Prey appears in 439 issues.

The Birds of Prey are a group of female heroes headed by Barbara Gordon. Though the team's roster tends to rotate, the mainstays of the group have been Oracle/Batgirl, Black Canary, and Huntress.

Unscripted Review: Birds Of Prey #2

hpwaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By hpwaz

I'm really dumb.
    JLAsuperdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JLAsuperdude

I'm dumb.
    shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By shawn87

i've never actually read Birds Of Prey....i gotta add it to my list of comics to get

Nionel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Nionel

I got it last week and I enjoyed it, granted I haven't read the previous Birds of Prey books, but I like it. I also agree that they all agreed to help Penguin a little too readily, but I guess we'll see where that's going next issue. All in all, it's good and I can't wait to read the third issue when it comes out next month.

mdb47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mdb47

I have been saying that about female characters and their costumes for a while now. And I also get why it can be difficult to express without offending or telling people what they should or shouldn't do.
    But comic books are no longer an all-boys club, and female characters don't need to be so skimpy to appeal to the male readers anymore - especially when it doesn't make any sense for the character. 

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#6  Edited By lostlantern13

I enjoyed the issue, but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who questioned the revealing costumes.  Perhaps that's a potential "Off My Mind" topic, G-Man?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By NightFang3

Need to pick up this issue. 

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ImperiousRix

Has there been an "Off My Mind" for female costume practicality?  If not, I think I smell one in the future. 
    I <3 Lady Blackhawk.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By longbowhunter

Huntress really leaves her mid section open to attack. Thats a soft part of the body, cover it up. Dont get me wrong I love sexy superheros, but that costume she wore in the Rucka/Hamner Question stories would really come it handy while fighting this new threat. I'm stickin' around because I believe in Gail Simone. Loved the review guys!!
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By johnny_spam

I am fine with these women looking like this has anyone seen their original costumes? That's how they looked.  

Someone put up a link to Tim Gunn reviewing Power Girl's costume and the talk of how super heroines' costumes look revealing but no one says anything about men's costume they are young drawn attractive and wear tights but no one calls it out on the men. So why not draw the women sexy when they are?

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Joe Venom

Great review, I loved how Huntress could not wait to beat down those cops "Goodbye reserve JLA membership" lol

Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Benzo

I can't wait to pick up this issue!!! :D, oh and how was hawk and dove in this issue?  

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13  Edited By sora_thekey

I want to read this! 
    Could it be that the White Canary being pinpointed to be Sin by Gail to distract people for when the real identity is revealed?

BTW @Babs... Go Brasil!
    So far they've been playing really good in the World Cup!

Avatar image for don_t_kranq_just_psychoo
    DoN`t_KrAnQ_jUsT_PsYcHoO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wth is this "white canary" thing what is that why did they get a white one hellloo?? the orginally canary would kick her in to the next cave

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

This comic rocks 7 different ways to Sunday!!
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EnSabahNurX

lmao the huntress costume i have to agree, it doesn't make sense or serve a purpose. She's had many cooler costumes over the years and the rectangle cut out just frustrates me XD

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Please, do you really need to point out that her mask only covers her lower face? People fall for Clark Kent's disguise.

I think Lady Blackhawk and Black Canary's outfits just look a bit too similar. It makes them easy to mix up if it wasn't for the hat. If you were to look at them from the waist up.
    I'm willing for White Canary to be anyone other then Cassandra Cain.

Love the shirts, G-Man and Babs.

Avatar image for secret_identity
    Secret Identity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By Secret Identity

I really liked this issue. I think I'd actually review it higher than the previous one for consistency. The first issue started incredibly well then seemed to trail off at the end. this one i felt was good all the way through. Not as good as the first portion of issue one but better than the second part. 

I honestly hadn't even considered that White Canary might be Sin until you said it but i did think maybe it was Sin's biological mother... not knowing her history all that well I don't know if thats ruled out. (Was her mother Lady Shiva? or was she just her trainer?) I'm not really trying to guess who it is though. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it. I'm not trying to guess who/what will happen, just enjoying the ride as I go along with it. I don't think it will be Sin though. 

As for the costumes. I think they are all fine but i do prefer huntress having her stomach covered. It just makes more sense for the character. Black Canary in fishnets? Its classic and should stay. Lady Blackhawk? Her gear is more of a uniform than a costume so that also works for me. To be honest though, as a Green Arrow fan you get used to the idea of having no continuity in the costume design from one issue to the next.  

Anyway, the issue was good, the story seems solid and to be going somewhere interesting. Yes there are some issues with the Birds falling into trouble a little easily but I think it will all lead to them picking up their game and getting back to a stronger point. I'd give this issue a very solid 4/5. Next issue will be the teller.

Roninidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Roninidas

Did Babs use the term Fanny Packs?

Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Paragon

Liked the story, but not a fan of how the art changed about halfway through the book. It's really distracting to me. Heck, I'm even distracted by it if it changes in between books within the same arc.

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21  Edited By Comiclove5

I'm still picking up this issue because I think the storyline will come out good in the end.
    Avatar image for carnivalofsins00
    carnivalofsins00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

#22  Edited By carnivalofsins00

i dont remember where, but i heard someone thinking it could be Cassie.

darth bul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By darth bul

i do not like birds of  prey
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By MrDirector786

I agree with a lot of the things they say about the costumes. Sometimes it's confusing why they'd where costumes that don't seem to serve much purpose in what they do. The White Canary thing is interesting too.

Nepth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Nepth

What is used to hold the comics on the wall?

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By Mediant

People need to not get caught up in practicalities when it comes to comic books. Costumes are an aesthetic. Whether they issue is that they're impractical for physical activity or that they wouldn't effectively mask a character's identity, or it's designed differently than it was previously, it doesn't really matter.

KevinL007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KevinL007

When it was first announced that Birds of Prey was going to be back and Gail Simone was going to be at the helm I was really excited but since the announcement my initial excitement for this title went way down. After the first issue I was just not impressed by what was going on. The writing and art were okay but the story didn't grab me that much and felt that this series was being written for trade and not a monthly format. And I was originally going to wait and read issue #2 to see if I should keep this title on my pull list but then it got delayed here in the west coast, like you guys said, and when I went to pick up my comics today I completely forgot that I had to pick up this issue. From what you guys said I think I am going to trade wait this series because the way the story is going trade waiting just seems to be the smart way to go with this series.

Great review!

intothetempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By intothetempest

I've always liked the huntress' costume. Impractical? Sure. Awesome? Of course! 

logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By logan48227

Since when did Huntress talk like one of the Sopranos?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#30  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @FoxxFireArt:  When John Byrne rebooted Superman in the 80s, he had it that Superman moved his face at superspeed so it would always be blurry on camera. They stopped doing that unfortunately.

@Roninidas:
    Fanny pack means something completely different in the U.S than it does in the UK.
    tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tallTuck94

is it just me or has anyone noticed that brazil is spelt worng on babs shirt

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#32  Edited By No_Name_
    @talltuck94 said:
    " is it just me or has anyone noticed that brazil is spelt worng on babs shirt "
    Actually it's written in Portuguese (the national language) so it's written correctly.
    Roninidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Roninidas
    @G-Man:
    God I really hope so, because my Grandmother uses a Fanny Pack when she's out going to Flee Markets and Yard Sales to hols her Meds, Money, and Keys.   Fanny Packs are gay.  What is the UK Version?
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @G-Man said:

" @FoxxFireArt:  When John Byrne rebooted Superman in the 80s, he had it that Superman moved his face at superspeed so it would always be blurry on camera. They stopped doing that unfortunately. "

I was more talking about how everyone was fooled my the Clark Kent glasses as a disguise.

@Babs said:

" @talltuck94 said:

" is it just me or has anyone noticed that brazil is spelt worng on babs shirt "
    Actually it's written in Portuguese (the national language) so it's written correctly. "
    I actually really like that it's written in the native dialect. It sort of reminds me of how silly it seems that countries are often called something completely different in different countries. How everyone calls it Germany, but there it's Deutschland. Most of the world calls it Japan, but there it's Nihon/Nippon.

I get that some of the time these mistakes are due to translation errors, but once you know there is a mistake. Why not correct it and call a country by it's proper name?
    ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ChadwickDavis

I believe it is Sin's biological mother.  
    Do you recall what Cheshire said to Black Canary in the back issues (Sensei and Student arc)  

"Where I come from taking another wonan's child is an unpardonable sin"  

This was due to Dinah's closeness with Lian. Technically the same rules would apply if Sin's biological mother felt the same way; especially if you consider that Sin was being conditioned to be the next Shiva who's to say that she was the only one?     

clumsyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By clumsyninja

Go Brazil !!!!

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By charlieboy

i do like huntress' look. it reminds me of helena wayne's costume. which i think was intended. they just made it more revealing. i don't mind if they change huntress' costume. as long as they don't use that hideous thing from detective comics.
    Avatar image for freddy_mercurial
    Freddy.Mercurial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Freddy.Mercurial

VIVA BRASIL!!!

blackcanaryguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By blackcanaryguy

Re: huntress costume--This is Jim Lee's redesign for the original Hush. In her defense, Gail took her out of it as quickly as possible when they put Huntress in Birds of Prey; she's really the one who militated against it. Canary and Huntress even joke about it when Huntress comes to help her escape from Savant.  Within  a few issues, Huntress was wearing a costume that provided full coverage, including her midsection and legs.

As for the "youse," I thought it was pretty clear she was joking, but it clearly didn't work for people.

DominiqueAgri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DominiqueAgri

In one of the BoP books from the 1st volume, Black Canary asks Huntress what the deal was with the new (peakaboo tummy) outfit, and Huntress' response was,  
    700 situps per day." While I agree the costumes are pretty sexy for what they need to be, I think Simone plays with the art in a way that says her characters are reclaiming their sexuality and that makes it okay...
    Avatar image for wilderness_academy
    Wilderness Academy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I like the strong female characters in this team.  I am annoyed by the attempts at selling skin (or belly buttons) to attract more male readers.  I don't know if I could take a knife in the belly, but I could if I was wearing armor there. 
    teewillis1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By teewillis1981

You two are tough critics! 3.5? Really? I loved it! I was entertained. Great art, great writing. It did everything a comic should do.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#43  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @teewillis1981: Sometimes we're told we're too tough, other times too easy. The main thing is to also listen to our reasoning. We'll always give an honest review and let you guys know how the comic rates, in our opinion.
    Heml0ck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Heml0ck
    @johnny spam said:
    "I am fine with these women looking like this has anyone seen their original costumes? That's how they looked.   Someone put up a link to Tim Gunn reviewing Power Girl's costume and the talk of how super heroines' costumes look revealing but no one says anything about men's costume they are young drawn attractive and wear tights but no one calls it out on the men. So why not draw the women sexy when they are? "

I agree, 100%

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.