Follow

Birds of Prey

Team » Birds of Prey appears in 439 issues.

The Birds of Prey are a group of female heroes headed by Barbara Gordon. Though the team's roster tends to rotate, the mainstays of the group have been Oracle/Batgirl, Black Canary, and Huntress.

Unscripted: Birds Of Prey #1

sharky64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By sharky64

probably will check out
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mbecks14

I love Oracle! 

but i just don't like Hawk and Dove :(

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jordanstine

Why is there a rooster in a nest full of chicken hens?

He looks so out of place, it's like he's about to lay an egg.

ElJuano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By ElJuano

I'd pick it up solely because Gail Simone is writing this. She almost never disappoints. It should be good as it picks up, I hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jordanstine

P.S. 
    Whenever I hear about "Hawk & Dove" back when Dove was a dude, they always reminded me of SNL'sAmbigiously Gay Duo

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sora_thekey

I will totally check this out... I used the CV Birds of Prey page to get up to date on the team and the series a while back... and when I was so into these characters i went to the comic book store and looked for the current issue and the current issue was the LAST issue of the series, which was a let down for me... 
    So now that #1 came out I am totally excited for it and I totally want to read this!

MissPower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MissPower

I really loved this issue!!! :D ,but I hope that a certain character , that appears at the end of the issue, doesn't turn out to be Cassandra Cain  or Lady Shiva !!! D: , and to my opinion on hawk and dove,...I think it will be interesting to see what there gonna do in next issues to come...  
    EDIT:  but the real question is ,when is misfit coming back?? I really hate to see that character stay in character limbo! ;D

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I still love the irony that Hawk in there as the token male character. Much in the same way super hero teams always used to have a token female character.
    Speaking to Hawk being like a time bomb. Isn't that pretty much how people felt about Wolverine and Bishop to an extent? There was always concerned that the two were going to just snap and kill. This new Hawk and Dove team kind of intrigues me. Seeing how it was this Hawk that murdered the previous one. I know he was under the control of the Black Power Ring and didn't have any control over himself. Still, how could you  work with someone so easily knowing it was those hands that took the life of someone close to you? 

There is something that doesn't sit well with me along the lines of the design of Lady Blackhawk. It just feels that in a dimly lit room you could easily mix up Black Canary and Lady Blackhawk. Everyone looks rather unique in design, except those two.

I'm with Babs on the numbering. If they had just picked up from where they left off. It could of deterred new readers. Isn't that part of the reason for reviving a series? Seeing a #1 more encourages someone who has never read it to pick it up.

The Cassandra Cain part is rather perplexing. Why would she go from fighting as a hero for Bruce, but as soon as he's "dead" she turns to fight as a villain???? Oh well.

Avatar image for the_cyan_lantern
    The Cyan Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By The Cyan Lantern

It's worth picking up to read the first story arc but it might be if-y  later on. Also it would probably take awhile till we really see how Hawk and Dove are a asset to the team.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mbecks14
    @Jordanstine said:
    "
    P.S. 
    Whenever I hear about "Hawk & Dove" back when Dove was a dude, they always reminded me of SNL'sAmbigiously Gay Duo

"
    they were brothers
    lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#11  Edited By lostlantern13

I had never read a "Birds of Prey" issue before so I appreciated the whole #1 aspect because it was more encouraging to jump in because I had expected to get some sense of this team and their world. I got that, and was treated to some great dialogue and art (never really read a book by Simone or Benes).  
     I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it. They offered up some interesting storylines so I'll be back.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I agree completely with G-Man about Hawk being a "time bomb." I seriously doubt he'll be an official member for long, if at all. Dove is a character I started focusing on during Blackest Night. Her abilities are pretty cool and I'm glad to see her in BoP. The whole, "Is it Cass or is it Shiva" was one of my favorite parts in the book. For me when Canary made that statement it was all about the overconfident demeanor that Canary associates with the Worlds two greatest martial artists. In her mind she's thinking only those two project such an aura of badassary (lol). She even comments on the "posture" of the White Canary which is what initially sparks the comment in the first place. There really isn't time to think about why Cass would be a villain again. Personally I took it as Gail letting the readers know that whoever this character is, she's a serious threat and she does that be associating her with Cass and Shiva's name. Just by dropping those two names, if White Canary turns out to be someone completely new, she's already been elevated to Shiva and Cass statues. Although I hope its Cass, I doubt it is. But I can think of a couple reasons why, or how, she'd be a villain again. 

As usual the art made the comic even though the story seemed to....slow down in places. The ending got me and I cant wait for issue #2.

Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dipic
    Avatar image for secret_identity
    Secret Identity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By Secret Identity

This issue started out very strong but didn't really seem to hold together so well towards the end. Identities online seemed a bit of a shoehorn for the importance of oracle. It'll be interesting to have a guy on the team. I 'm not a fan off single sex teams so thats good :) That said hawk and dove are characters i'm not sold on yet so we'll see. 

I'm glad its an issue 1 and i really enjoyed the intro with Black Canary and Lady Blackhawk and on those merits i'd give it a 4/5.

A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15  Edited By A-Strondinaire

once again miss babs bashes a favorite character of mine well i never
    ivy's creation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ivy's creation

why does cassandra cane not want to work with dick greyson? i forgot

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By johnny_spam

I am not sure how much I agree with relaunching the book with Gail Simone. When lesser known characters become to reliant on a writer I think it hurts them because no other writer will be equal in the fans eyes' or other writers will try that take on the characters and not their own.  

On what was said about Cassandra I think she left because she missed Bruce and her decision had nothing to do with Dick Grayson nor did she mention him at all.     

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PrinceIMC

Here's hoping Oracle, Huntress and Black Canary can focus Hawk to give him enough action so he stays with the team but not so much that he ends up killing someone. I think its okay to have a guy or two on the birds, specially since his codename is a bird. So Robin or Red Robin could join but not Booster Gold. Heh.

Avatar image for harleyquinnhawkgirl
    harleyquinnhawkgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 14

I feel the same way if that character is Cassandra Cain. Making her a villain didn't work out before why would they do it again?
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @johnny spam said:

"   I am not sure how much I agree with relaunching the book with Gail Simone. When lesser known characters become to reliant on a writer I think it hurts them because no other writer will be equal in the fans eyes' or other writers will try that take on the characters and not their own.      "

By that logic the DC universe shouldn't rely on Johns so much.  After he's wrote a character we could only ever be disappointed with what ever comes after that.
    If a writer does well with certain characters why not let them write them?
    Characters will inevitably be written by multiple writers over time. Some will serve them well and some will do badly by them.
    I'm a big Batfan and strongly feel that morrisons doin' wrong by him for example.
    Can't wait 'till any other writer brings Batman back as a crime fighter and stops the crazy time travel, non linear story telling and twisted continuity. 
    Hope DC has Ed Brubaker or some one else who can write crime come on to tidy the mess left when morrison eventually leaves like Marvel had Wheddon repair the X-stuff after morisson. 
    Heck, I'd be interested in seein' what Simone would do with Batman.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @johnny spam said:
    "   I am not sure how much I agree with relaunching the book with Gail Simone. When lesser known characters become to reliant on a writer I think it hurts them because no other writer will be equal in the fans eyes' or other writers will try that take on the characters and not their own.   On what was said about Cassandra I think she left because she missed Bruce and her decision had nothing to do with Dick Grayson nor did she mention him at all.      "
    By that logic the DC universe shouldn't rely on Johnsd so mcuh. "
    They shouldn't I have some doubts the next writer of Green Lantern will have as much attention as Johns.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @ivy's creation said:
    " why does cassandra cane not want to work with dick greyson? i forgot "
    Dick never accepted her because of her checkered past and she hated him because of how he played Oracle (who was like her adoptive mother in her solo series) also because he treated her like sh!t.  They've even thrown down a couple times and Dick has several appearances in which he's trashing her to Bruce.

Hands off....Dick
     Hands off....Dick

@johnny spam said:
    "   On what was said about Cassandra I think she left because she missed Bruce and her decision had nothing to do with Dick Grayson nor did she mention him at all.      "
    You're right about her never mentioning Dick as a reason for leaving, but I think with their history its implied that there's no way she would stick around and play Batgirl to Dick's Batman.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Gambler:  And I think Cass a character who has the vibe of a child sometimes just would miss Bruce a little to much also I don't think Dick was Batman when Stephanie took up the Batgirl mantle.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#24  Edited By No_Name_
    @johnny spam said:
    " On what was said about Cassandra I think she left because she missed Bruce and her decision had nothing to do with Dick Grayson nor did she mention him at all.      "
    If you read Cassie's last Batgirl series (issues 1-6) you would know that she would never work for Dick as Batman.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @johnny spam said:

" @Gambler:  And I think Cass a character who has the vibe of a child sometimes just would miss Bruce a little to much also I don't think Dick was Batman when Stephanie took up the Batgirl mantle. "

I agree that early on her mental state was child like, but she grew leaps and bounds before her first series finished. And her appearances since then depict her as having matured. I'm not entirely sure if Dick was officially Batman yet. But Dick was shown as Batman in Steph's first appearance as the new Batgirl. Cass leaving happens in a flashback in the same issue, so its hard to say when exactly it happened in connection with Dick's decision to wear the cowl. However Bruce was gone and everyone knew Dick was up for the role by the time Cass left.
    Rob.H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rob.H

I wanted to enjoy this book.  I picked up this issue enjoyed the writing but I just can't stand Benes' art.  Maybe it's something I'll get over in time so I'll be finishing this arc at the very least.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By doordoor123

This was my first Birds of Prey issue and i was kind of lost. I dont really know them as a team. I dont know Lady Blackhawk. Im not too invested in Huntress. I dont know much about Dove. So im a little lost for now. Ill be reading this because it seems interesting but im really lost.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By charlieboy

i love this team. i am totally excited hawk and dove are going to be joining. they are great characters and need to see the light of day. i was excited blackest night brought them back. love oracle black canary and huntress. if that does turn out to be cassandra i will be fine with it. i think a new identity is what she needs. she never really became batgirl to me. she was cool tho. i think i am one of the few people who actually likes stephanie brown as batgirl.
    charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By charlieboy

i love this team. i am totally excited hawk and dove are going to be joining. they are great characters and need to see the light of day. i was excited blackest night brought them back. love oracle black canary and huntress. if that does turn out to be cassandra i will be fine with it. i think a new identity is what she needs. she never really became batgirl to me. she was cool tho. i think i am one of the few people who actually likes stephanie brown as batgirl.
    wingster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wingster
    @Babs:  Agreed. Cassie worked with Bruce Wayne, so why stick around for a second rate "Batman". Makes me wonder when Bruce returns, will Cassie want her Batgirl mantle back? I smell a throwdown!
    Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

#31  Edited By Duo_forbidden

This was day one pick up for me. I loved the first vol of Birds of Prey and the first issue of the second vol two was interesting to read. When I first saw that Birds of Prey was coming back, and they had the two darken characters on the cover, I thought one of them might possibly be Red Robin just because he was coming back to Gotham. It'll be interesting how Hawk and Dove interact with the Birds of Prey group especially for Hawk.

I hope White Canary is not Cassandra Cain. While I do want her to come back in the future, I don't want her to be a villain again. They already screwed that up with her already. Granted, I don't mine Stephanie brown being the new batgirl, but Cassandra made Batgirl 10 times better for me just like when Barbara was Batgirl.

GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32  Edited By GraveSp

I think the Cassandra Cain comment was just a statement about how she fought I think it is going to be someone else though

Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By Bergquist

im droping all(most) of marvel Dc is kicking ass right now
    mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mattydeNero

I loved the moment with Barbara, Dinah, and Huntress up top, it was cool.  I almost wish it were them and them only for this particular series.  Just to bring it back to basics.  But I trust Ms. Simone.  Thusfar it's not too many characters, and that's the only thing I worry about with the future of this title.  Hawk's going to be punching a lot of faces.

FatBoiFreshh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35  Edited By FatBoiFreshh

why dont you like stupid dc comics about dry girl characters ?????? you waste so many unscripteds on fluff babs reads next comic do buffy the vampire slayer lmao  

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @GraveSp said:
    " I think the Cassandra Cain comment was just a statement about how she fought I think it is going to be someone else though "
    Agreed. It basically lets us know that White Canary is legit (in terms of hand to hand combat).

@FatBoiFreshh said:
    " why dont you like stupid dc comics about dry girl characters ?????? you waste so many unscripteds on fluff babs reads next comic do buffy the vampire slayer lmao   "

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Babs:  Yeah but that didn't play a part in her giving up the mantle of Batgirl. 

@Gambler: @Gambler said:
    " @johnny spam said:

" @Gambler:  And I think Cass a character who has the vibe of a child sometimes just would miss Bruce a little to much also I don't think Dick was Batman when Stephanie took up the Batgirl mantle. "

I agree that early on her mental state was child like, but she grew leaps and bounds before her first series finished. And her appearances since then depict her as having matured. I'm not entirely sure if Dick was officially Batman yet. But Dick was shown as Batman in Steph's first appearance as the new Batgirl. Cass leaving happens in a flashback in the same issue, so its hard to say when exactly it happened in connection with Dick's decision to wear the cowl. However Bruce was gone and everyone knew Dick was up for the role by the time Cass left. "
    In a flashback she was still Batgirl so at that period Dick may not have been Batman yet so she wouldn't know anything about it. In the Battle for the Cowl period Cass was still Batgirl and Dick was still Nightwing.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @johnny spam said:

" In a flashback she was still Batgirl so at that period Dick may not have been Batman yet so she wouldn't know anything about it. In the Battle for the Cowl period Cass was still Batgirl and Dick was still Nightwing. "

Actually Dick becomes Batman in the final issue of Battle for the Cowl and Cass is still Batgirl, so I'm pretty sure she knew what was up. But for the sake of argument lets just say Dick wasn't Batman before she quit. Anyone and everyone associated with the Bat-Family knew, or would know, that Dick was going to replace Bruce. Batgirl #1 (Steph Brown) we see Dick as Batman in the first couple of panels, its also the issue in which the flashback shows Cass quitting. In the dialog box that scene takes place 3 weeks before the opening scene of the issue. It could be argued that the flashback takes place before the ending of Battle for the Cowl. Again, its never stated that Dick had anything to do with her decision to leave, that I agree with you on. However, given their history and general hatred for one another, I think its just automatically assumed that with Bruce gone, Cass would never side with Dick regardless of what costume he was wearing.
    Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Joe Venom

It's great to see Zinda back in action she a real Ride or Die BoP, now Hawk on the other hand I don't really care for him that much, but I interested on seeing what Simone will do with his character. I also hope that Misfit will pop u soon if not to join the team than at least to explain what she has been up to.

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#40  Edited By harleyquinn12

This issue was sooo good! If I could have three wishes for this series, it would be that The White Canary is Cassie(though i think it's Shiva), Misfit comes back, and Stephanie  joins the Birds of Prey as an Indigo lantern!

Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aquamariner

I loved it!!! Gail promised and she deliverd!!! BIG TIME! Never read the original series but I'm totally sold on this one... Even though i HATE Hawk and Dove!!! 

Hope she can make them more likeable... this issue was a good start at that!

Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Aquamariner
    @bergquist said:
    " im droping all(most) of marvel Dc is kicking ass right now "
    Bless you, my son. You have seen the light!!! =)
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Calvin

I just think that, that lady black hawk always look so nice!! 

Lady Blackhawk
    Lady Blackhawk
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Never read this series before and decided to give it a read.  
    Well worth the $2.99!
    Bamafanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bamafanga

I bought it, I like it and I love Gail Simone. So I'm sure she'll do a great job with her run at the helm.

The Island

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By The Island

Yes, and I should become more of a feminized western man and read this cr*p.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @The Island said:

"  Yes, and I should become more of a feminized western man and read this cr*p. "

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By daredevil21134

go huntress

Avatar image for bringbackpowerpack
    BringBackPowerPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me, or is the sound backwards on this video (he's on the right, but I hear him on the left, etc)?

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#50  Edited By Kairan1979

I was happy when I learned about the new volume of Birds of Prey.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.