Should I read Birds of Prey?

#1 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Lately, I've been showing an interest in the all-female superhero team Birds of Prey.  I've always been a big fan of Black Canary and Barbara Gordon and, while I've never been a HUGE fan of Huntress, I have read some Batman comics featuring her as well as her appearances on Batman: The Brave & The Bold and she's starting to grow on me.  The only problem is, I don't know much about their other members (except that Lady Blackhawk, Dove, and the newly ressurected Hawk are on the current team but I know next to nothing about them) or their enemies (the only one I know of is the Calculator).  I want to start reading some stories about the Birds of Prey, but I don't know where to start.  Should I start reading the current series?  Is it good enough to read or just flat-out boring?  Are there any good TPB's/ graphic novels as well?  If so, which ones?  Thoughts or suggestions PLEASE

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92607 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't really been keeping up with the current series. I do own the majority of trades, though. It's freaking amazing. AMAZING.  

@mr.obvious: If you go to this page, there's a list of collected trades. If you have the money, start with Of Like Minds.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by Final Arrow (24359 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" I haven't really been keeping up with the current series. I do own the majority of trades, though. It's freaking amazing. AMAZING.  

@mr.obvious: If you go to this page, there's a list of collected trades. If you have the money, start with Of Like Minds. "
AMAZING..  Explain this.
#4 Posted by SC (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

I say yes! Plus I have read some of your posts, and I really think you would like this book. I think you would really enjoy it. i am a bit behind on my reading, but the new series should be a great place to start.  

My favorite TPB's were Birds of Prey: Blood and Circuits and   Birds of Prey: Dead of Winter.  Blood and Circuits I found was an awesome jumping on point, the team is going though some changes, and it sets up a new status quo, and is really informative.  

Good luck man! 

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92607 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow: Oohhhhhh NO. Read the post. Haven't been keeping up with the current series. The amazing was in reference to the original volume.  

haven't really been keeping up with the current series. I do own the majority of trades, though    

And then proceeded to recommend trades from the previous volume. :P
Moderator Online
#6 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

The series is really great, especially if you start off with the Death of Oracle issue. Which is number 7

#7 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:  Thank you SOO much for the suggestions! =D  So is "Of Like Minds" the best trade to read/buy?
#8 Posted by Mercy_ (92607 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr.obvious: It's the best starting point. And I can almost guarantee that once you read it, you're going to go out and buy the others. You can find the majority (if not all) of them on amazon.com, where you can generally get them for around fourteen dollars unless they're out of print. They're definitely worth the money. Great art, great stories. 
Moderator Online
#9 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr.obvious said:
" @The Dark Huntress:  Thank you SOO much for the suggestions! =D  So is "Of Like Minds" the best trade to read/buy? "
it is the first by Gail Simone (the writer who made the series one of note) 

I tried reading the first issue once, dullest comic ever...then I found out (and the DC Digital site assures this with the order it's uploading the issues to the site) that #56 is where you're expected to start
#10 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:  Thanks for your feedback, The Dark Huntress.  And thanks everyone else for your suggestions, now I REALLY want to start reading these comics! =D
@Final Arrow said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" I haven't really been keeping up with the current series. I do own the majority of trades, though. It's freaking amazing. AMAZING.  

@mr.obvious: If you go to this page, there's a list of collected trades. If you have the money, start with Of Like Minds. "
AMAZING..  Explain this. "

@SUPER-MAN 23 said:
" The series is really great, especially if you start off with the Death of Oracle issue. Which is number 7

"

btw, these pics are BADASS!!!
#11 Posted by Mercy_ (92607 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr.obvious: You're welcome. I'm always happy to recommend great comics. ^__^
Moderator Online
#12 Posted by DrAlbertVentum (267 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow said:

A wizard did it. 
#13 Posted by Mercy_ (92607 posts) - - Show Bio

A wizard named Gail Simone's fangirlism.

Moderator Online
#14 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

No it's only good for March's eye candy 

#15 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" A wizard named Gail Simone's fangirlism. "
lol ;D
#16 Posted by Jake Fury (18153 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow said:

Look who's cheering her on, the vivacious and utterly amazing Lady Blackhawk. I could take Shiva with her in my corner. :P
#17 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

YESSSS

Gail Simone's finest work.

#18 Posted by daredevil21134 (10909 posts) - - Show Bio

If your a Black Canary fan you won't be disapointed
#19 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" No it's only good for March's eye candy  "
lol
#20 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow said:

LMFAO... xD

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.