Review: Birds of Prey #5

#1 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

nice review 
I can't wait to grab it and find out about that ending!!!
and babs, there's a little skip in the review at about 1:05 in, just FYI 
and YES, I LOVE girls in my comics!!!

#2 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

I like girls not just in comics =D

#3 Posted by kungnima (180 posts) - - Show Bio

Madonna mia, you look good. 
Think I have to watch it again and try to stay focused on the comic this time!

#4 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Well for some reason that video is not working for me =[. But I am sure that this was a 5 star video as usual Babs ;-]. Though to put in my two cents I really am not liking this new BoP and I really love the team and was looking forward to it. It is just very slow and certain things like White Canary popping out of no where and beating the crap out of everyone and cutting Hawks skin gets under my skin (no pun intended) I wish it would explain better how she can do all of this. I also feel as of recent Simone's writing is really lacking and she did not do enough research on Hawk and Dove

#5 Edited by Jake Fury (18651 posts) - - Show Bio

Babs is the White Canary!!!!
#6 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is it that when Videos are posted in the forums they are always broken??

#7 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus: The video should be working now. :)
#8 Posted by Jake Fury (18651 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Son_of_Magnus: The video should be working now. :) "

I like how you conveniently answered his question and ignored my accusation.
#9 Posted by HexThis (900 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, you gotta understand Babs, Gail Simone waters down Huntress. If you've ever read her Year One story or Cry for Blood, she's pretty much always riding the edge. Read 'em, they will totally 100% sell you on her character. 

And this is the exact problem with BoP, the characters can sometimes be all too inoffensive. It primarily centers around Oracle and Dinah which is great but they're both level-headed, in-control, disciplined types and I think it would be interesting if the Huntress' demeanor became more of a contrast to that. 

We see Dinah's evolution as a hero and fighter, her growing relationship with Sin, her dynamic with Green Arrow. It's time we see something similar from Huntress- not the same path but she seldom gets to really own a comic the way Black Canary does.

#10 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
" @Babs said:
I like how you conveniently answered his question and ignored my accusation. "
We probably posted at the same time, goofball! :P 

This wasn't always an issue, and it's something that the engineers are working to fix. :)
#11 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
Very good though we seem to have conflicting views on the book lol
#12 Posted by Jake Fury (18651 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Jake Fury said:
" @Babs said:
I like how you conveniently answered his question and ignored my accusation. "
We probably posted at the same time, goofball! :P   This wasn't always an issue, and it's something that the engineers are working to fix. :) "

hahaha. So, point blank, its obvious you're the White Canary.
#13 Posted by Dark Walker (477 posts) - - Show Bio

I never read BoP prior except for the few crossovers, but I'm really enjoying this book.  Reading it I felt nostalgia for the TV series, since that was my main experience with BoP.  The final page had me knocked off my seat, can't wait for next months issue now.

#14 Edited by ComiCCloseup (287 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy:
ummm... how do you mean you LOVE girls in your comics? lol and theres only so much you can don once you make a cut sometimes to make the next scene connect the best you have to leave a little bit of a bump or it would have been worse.
#15 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

Who's the asian/oriental girl in the beginning?

#16 Posted by iloverobots (455 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark Walker said:
" I never read BoP prior except for the few crossovers, but I'm really enjoying this book.  Reading it I felt nostalgia for the TV series, since that was my main experience with BoP.  The final page had me knocked off my seat, can't wait for next months issue now. "
I'm in the same situation. I picked up the first issue because it was part of Brightest Day and now it's one of the book I'm waiting forward the most every month. Great stuff
#17 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@kungnima said:

"  Madonna mia, you look good.  Think I have to watch it again and try to stay focused on the comic this time! "

That's my bed-head.

@Jake Fury said:

" Babs is the White Canary!!!! "

whaaaa?
#18 Posted by kungnima (180 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @kungnima said:

"  Madonna mia, you look good.  Think I have to watch it again and try to stay focused on the comic this time! "

That's my bed-head.

Whatever, still look good!
#19 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy said:
" nice review I can't wait to grab it and find out about that ending!!!and babs, there's a little skip in the review at about 1:05 in, just FYI and YES, I LOVE girls in my comics!!! "
Thanks for the heads up! This happens occasionally, unfortunately. Damn video editing!
#20 Posted by RandyFemrite (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Why isn't Ed Benes doing the art?
#21 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs:
hey no worries 
I'm here to help 
......and to look at pictures of Namor 
I'm sure you can relate 
;)
#22 Posted by blackcanaryguy (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Gail's writing, and (obviously) love BC and the rest of the BoP, but I was really underwhelmed by this issue.  The art was definitely distracting. Even if both artists are good, their visual/narrative styles just don't mesh well.

Even the pacing/writing of the story left me a little cold. I agree that Dinah's abrupt decision to leave and Oracle's relatively nonchalant response doesn't ring true, especially after the 100+ issues we have building their relationship and mutual understanding. I know Gail wants to set up the White Canary as a "big bad" for them, but 5 issues in we're still dealing with this new, and, frankly, relatively flat character.  She should have moved on and built her up over time through various arcs interspersed by other storylines.  As it stands, I feel like she's trying to make us care rather than successfully building a character that organically intrigues the readership.

I really liked the first arc, but I felt like it was a major miscalculation to make the first arc so dependent on the previous run and knowledge that your average reader simply doesn't have. I'm not surprised if some folks felt alienated by what was essentially a sequel to previous (if awesome) arc.

Totally agree about the Huntress in this issue; she was the high point.

#23 Posted by sora_thekey (8175 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree the art change threw me off a bit during the whole scene...
and I thought Gain Simone did an amazing job with the writing of these characters. I thought Huntress was actually going to "take care" of Penguin for a moment there!

I do have to disagree with @Babs: on just one thing though. When Black Canary quit Oracle might have not questioned it because of what had happened at the ending of last issue and the begging of this one... I noticed the same thing you did Sara, but then I realized that her recent event might have not allowed her to catch her breath yet...

#24 Edited by Secret Identity (223 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a lot of conviction in the words "This is a good comic" there Babs. Good for you.  

However...

I probably won't be picking this up just because I wasn't overwhelmed by the previous issues and felt the series lacked consistency in its quality too much through the first arc. (And the ending wasn't great either) Still I like the characters a lot and may consider picking this up in tpb when it comes out.

#25 Posted by THALASTDRAGON (387 posts) - - Show Bio
@RandyFemrite said:
" Why isn't Ed Benes doing the art? "
thats what i was worried about, i luv his art, but he's never stayed on any books long enough for me. i wanted to check this out, but hearin black canary quit doesnt help, cuz she was tha main one i liked on tha team. its still young tho, so i may still pick up all tha issues anyway.
#26 Posted by BoOMbOoMpOw (1711 posts) - - Show Bio

Can`t wait till birds of pray comes out here :D < :o)

#27 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio
You know Babs means business when she uses her serious face... 

#28 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13175 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury:
Why would you just out her on the internet like that dude     

thats so uncool 

now  Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man is gonna come after her and like  switch her garbage with her recycling......or something
#29 Posted by Mr_Wayne69 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

From what you're saying, Babs... about the art and the odd reaction/non reaction to Black Canary quitting the team, this comic sounds like a 3 out of 5... but OK.
#30 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr_Wayne69 said:
" From what you're saying, Babs... about the art and the odd reaction/non reaction to Black Canary quitting the team, this comic sounds like a 3 out of 5... but OK. "
If I thought it was a 3 out of 5, I would have given it a 3 out of 5.
#31 Posted by Grimoire (543 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the art in this issue but that's just me. I always like anime type drawing. lol The ending really does get you to want to see what's next.

#32 Edited by DanP (47 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:

" @Mr_Wayne69 said:

" From what you're saying, Babs... about the art and the odd reaction/non reaction to Black Canary quitting the team, this comic sounds like a 3 out of 5... but OK. "
If I thought it was a 3 out of 5, I would have given it a 3 out of 5. "
ohhhhhhh! lol someone just got told! Also I agree I have never liked the Huntress more, which isn't hard since i never really liked her in the first place.
#33 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this is all just a ploy...I'm devastated that Black Canary would leave, unless she's rejoining JLA and kicking out the rejects that currently occupy that roster...bleh...  not happy about this...

#34 Posted by Wildish (99 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow I want to read this already :)
#35 Posted by wingster (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Not enjoying this book at all. Will probably drop it soon.

#36 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved the past four books, but the art in the second half really turned me off.

#37 Posted by charlieboy (7160 posts) - - Show Bio

the only thing i am not liking about this series is the portrayal of dove. simone is not getting her quite right.
#38 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9064 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Review Babs you made great points 

#39 Posted by The Sadhu (853 posts) - - Show Bio

Dinah 'quitting' is all part of her and Oracles plan! Thats why Oracle wasn't to worried... You heard it here first!
#40 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
" @Jake Fury: Why would you just out her on the internet like that dude      thats so uncool  now  Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man is gonna come after her and like  switch her garbage with her recycling......or something "
Yeah, and who the hell wants that noise? Not me.
#41 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't read this issue yet (skimmed it though.) Someone wake me up when Shiva finally arrives.

#42 Posted by MrDirector786 (43560 posts) - - Show Bio

I need to get this issue soon. I meant to get it when it came out but I didn't. Aw well. Good review. Can't wait to read it.

#43 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Another solid issue by Gail Simone^__^

#44 Posted by MrDirector786 (43560 posts) - - Show Bio

It is pretty shocking to see that Black Canary is leaving the team though. She and Oracle have pretty much been the backbone of the Birds of Prey from what I've seen.

#45 Posted by geminicomplex (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read it yet, but I can only really surmise that the reason that Oracle doesn't question Dinah's leaving the team is because: one, Dinah leaves CONSTANTLY and she has functioned for a while without her before, and two, because while Canary may leave, she and Babs are still super close and Oracle probably understands without question whats going on even if we don't get a reason.

#46 Posted by teewillis1981 (123 posts) - - Show Bio

Great review Babs! But unfortunately, I had to drop this book. It just wasn't do it for me. There are far too many good comics out there for me to settle.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.