Follow

Birds of Prey

Team » Birds of Prey appears in 438 issues.

The Birds of Prey are a group of female heroes headed by Barbara Gordon. Though the team's roster tends to rotate, the mainstays of the group have been Oracle/Batgirl, Black Canary, and Huntress.

Is the New 52 Birds of Prey any good?

BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BOPFAN#3

I'm a HUGE fan of the Birds of Prey comics, I've read every one of them as far as I know except for the New 52. Although Barbara Gordon is alive, Oracle is dead, and with the loss of Oracle I didn't know if Birds of Prey would be any good. So I wanted to know what you guys think? Has any actually started reading the Birds of Prey just because the New 52 Birds of Prey intrigued them? I wanna know if DC's plan is actually working haha.

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By soccersss

@BOPFAN#3 said:

I'm a HUGE fan of the Birds of Prey comics, I've read every one of them as far as I know except for the New 52. Although Barbara Gordon is alive, Oracle is dead, and with the loss of Oracle I didn't know if Birds of Prey would be any good. So I wanted to know what you guys think? Has any actually started reading the Birds of Prey just because the New 52 Birds of Prey intrigued them? I wanna know if DC's plan is actually working haha.

Yes it is. Although I have not read much from Birds of Prey prior to this so the loss of Oracle didn't bother me. I like the current roster.I find myself liking the new character Starling a lot. Katana and Poison Ivy adds a new twist to the team while Black Canary is the soul of the team. Promising villains and an interesting plot. You should definitely check it out.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Kairan1979

I miss Huntress. I hope she joins Birds of Prey after her mini-series end.

BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BOPFAN#3

I was really excited when I saw Katana on the team, but Poison Ivy confused me. Is Poison Ivy a hero now or is she just neutral? Starling interested me a lot, is she from another comic series I haven't heard about or is she an original character? And I've been seeing comics for BOP with Batgirl (Babs) on the cover, is she a member of the team now to? I think I'm going to buy the comics when I get home today, hopefully I will like it as much as you. And they're planning on bringing Huntress (Helena Wayne) into the New 52 universe from the Earth-2 universe so there might be a Huntress, just not a mafia princess. If you go to the Huntress forum there are threads about the new Huntress, and Helena Wayne's wiki page explains who she is. I'm a huge fan of both Helena Wayne and Bertinelli so I give you my word Wayne is an interesting character.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Hawk80

I'm a big fan of BoP and I like New 52 BoP. I don't like Barbara (as Batgirl: worst New 52 idea) as a permanent member.

I miss Huntress, Zinda and Misfit, but Ev and Poison Ivy are great new entries.

BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BOPFAN#3

@Hawk80: I've been hearing from a lot of people that Barbara isn't being written well as Batgirl, I think she could work very well, but I haven't read any of the New 52 yet to see what problems need fixing. I miss Zinda and Misift a lot to! Although I don't know how well Misfit would fit in the New 52, at least not right now. So is Barbara really a permanent member or has she just been in a few issues? And what would you think of Helena Wayne as Huntress on the Birds of Prey team?

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hawk80

So is Barbara really a permanent member or has she just been in a few issues?

No idea.

And what would you think of Helena Wayne as Huntress on the Birds of Prey team?

I know well Helena Bertinelli, and I like her a lot. Helena Wayne is pretty unknown to me. Cant' imagine what kind of consequences would have putting the daughter of Bruce and Selina in the New 52. Unnecessary at best.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By jrock85

Yes, it's pretty good.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i like it

BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BOPFAN#3

@Hawk80: Helena Wayne is in the New 52, she's the Huntress in the 6 issue mini, not Bertinelli. I started a forum on the Huntress page, there's a whole conversation going on what people think of her. She's going to be in World's Finest with Power Girl, they're both trapped in the New 52 universe trying to get back to Earth-2, Helena Bertinelli is also going to appear in World's Finest. Wayne's one of my favorite character, trust me she's a lot cooler then just Batman and Catwoman's daughter.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hawk80

Huntress in the mini is Helena Wayne? mmmm... I don't think so. Earth-2 news is not enought to prove of that.

Why you're so sure about that? Without poofs she could be Bertinelli even in World's Finest.

I prefer to wait for some official news about this.

BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BOPFAN#3

@Hawk80: Paul Levitz announced a week ago that the Huntress in the mini series is the same Huntress who will appear in the World's Finest, and he said the Huntress in the World's Finest is Helena Wayne.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hawk80

No more to say, then!

Strange choice, though. We'll se...

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Mercy_

I LOVE IT.

This was the book I was probably most apprehensive about. I own Gail's entire run on the first volume, the entire second volume, although that fell really short at the end. This book has a bit of a different tone, but that's to be expected with different characters and a different writer, however, it's excellent. Swierczynski gives each of these characters their own distinct voice and does an amazing job of mixing action with mystery and characterization.

Starling has quickly become one of my favorite characters. The only thing about this book that doesn't sit 100% with me is the inclusion of Poison Ivy.

BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BOPFAN#3

@The Dark Huntress: Wow we're on the exact same page lol. I haven't read the book yet, they're coming in the mail on Monday, but I'm really fascinated by this Starling character, she looks really interesting. And yeah I really don't like Poison Ivy on the team, I might change my mind once I read the book but Poison Ivy on the team makes little sense to me.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By fodigg

It is shockingly good considering what a huge change it is from the original status quo. Katana is my fav.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By dernman

I like the new Katana more then the old.

BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BOPFAN#3

@Dernman: @fodigg: Katana's always been one of my favorite DC women. I really loved her in the different Outsiders teams, and her run in the Birds of Prey. I really like her new mask lol she's a proud Japanese woman :)

I feel like the new Birds of Prey lineup is missing something, although I'm not quite sure what yet. Looking at the picture of the line up I feel like Poison Ivy doesn't fit in at all! Not even as a character who doesn't get a long with her peers like Huntress didn't get along with Black Canary and Oracle at first, Ivy doesn't fit, she doesn't make sense on this team. Batgirl/Babs fits in with the team, but I still feel like they're missing something. It's possible that I'm missing the Huntress on the team, and maybe when the World's Finest comic comes Helena Wayne will join the team. But the team seems to be missing a character that ties them together as a team.

WildValentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By WildValentine
    @BOPFAN#3: I absolutely ADORE the new Birds of Prey. Dinah is so much more likable, and her re-design is sitting really well with me. Finally the days of the fishnets are over and she's legit a awesome force to be reckoned with. I jumped on in #3 specifically for Poison Ivy, as I saw the promotionals. I have to say, as a big fan of Pamela, I'm very impressed with how she's being written. She's iffy about the rest of the team, but she's got the spine to say so. Great dynamics between Ev and Dinah and sassy spy-plots make this a 10/10 win for me. 

Get it!
    aeka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By aeka

@BOPFAN#3: New 52 Birds of Prey is by far one of the best books of the relaunch in my opinion. Duane Swierczynski's writing is excellent and the cast is great. Love Starling.

BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BOPFAN#3

@WildValentine: Love your name WildValentine, really awesome! But I love her fishnets, it's just a must have for all Black Canary's. It's like Captain America and his shield, you just gotta have it. I'm also a huge fan of Ms. Isley, and I'm excited to see how she works with the team, but I am a little worried about it.

@aeka: Quick question Aeka..............how do you pronounce Swierczynski? Is it like Swear-zin-ski? lol hahaha what else has he written because I don't think I've ever heard of him, although I follow characters, never really follow writers.

WildValentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WildValentine
    @BOPFAN#3 said:

@WildValentine: Love your name WildValentine, really awesome! But I love her fishnets, it's just a must have for all Black Canary's. It's like Captain America and his shield, you just gotta have it. I'm also a huge fan of Ms. Isley, and I'm excited to see how she works with the team, but I am a little worried about it.

Thanks! It's the possible name of a story I'm writing, but that's an entirely different topic. 

Baha, everyone thinks she's got sinister motives. I suppose that its only fair to expect that - have you read #5 yet?
    aeka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By aeka

@BOPFAN#3 said:

@aeka: Quick question Aeka..............how do you pronounce Swierczynski? Is it like Swear-zin-ski? lol hahaha what else has he written because I don't think I've ever heard of him, although I follow characters, never really follow writers.

It's pronounced "Sweer-zin-ski." He's mostly a crime novelist.

BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BOPFAN#3

@WildValentine: No I haven't read any of it yet. I was really apprehensive about the New 52, but people have been telling me their good so I ordered #1-5. I'm hoping they come in the mail this weekend, but idk it might not be till Tuesday. And yeah her facial expression on the cover of #1 makes her look like she's hiding something. I mean she looks like an evil Oracle, sitting back and watching the people around her go to battle.

WildValentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WildValentine
    @BOPFAN#3 said:

@WildValentine: No I haven't read any of it yet. I was really apprehensive about the New 52, but people have been telling me their good so I ordered #1-5. I'm hoping they come in the mail this weekend, but idk it might not be till Tuesday. And yeah her facial expression on the cover of #1 makes her look like she's hiding something. I mean she looks like an evil Oracle, sitting back and watching the people around her go to battle.

I wholeheartedly encourage you get on the BOP train ASAP. It's a great experience! I won't talk about what happens or anything, just so you can experience it first hand. 

@aeka said:

It's pronounced "Sweer-zin-ski." He's mostly a crime novelist.

It makes total sense! You can really see the 'mystery' aspects of his work coming through.
    BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BOPFAN#3

@WildValentine: @aeka: Just finished reading BOP #1-5, and idk how I feel about it. I actually kinda like Poison Ivy being on the team, I like her new outfit, and how they use her powers in combat, but I don't like the reason for her being on the team. I don't think I really like Starling yet, I feel like I will like her when they start looking into her past, but for now she just kinda seems like a Black Canary with guns and less fighting skill. I also don't like that we're on issue 5 and I'm still not quite sure where this story is going. I mean the loss of memory, and who are the Cleaners etc. I'm waiting for it to all connect together, but they're taking forever to do it. I really like the characters on the team, but I don't think they're writing's that good. I still have hope, I expected the series to take a few issues to get going, I just hope it picks up pretty soon.

Mediumflyer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Mediumflyer7

I would pick it up if I were you. You can read it online you know!! Reading comics digital is amazing on the iPad

bsus1412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bsus1412

I met Duane Swierczynski at a signing in Silver Spring recently, and he hinted that there would be a Suicide Squad crossover. Specifically, what he said was that his favorite character to add is Harley, and that he REALLY wants to do a Suicide Squad crossover so he can bounce her off Poison Ivy. Can't wait to see that. He also is trying to build up Black Canary's presence in the DC Comics world. While we both agreed that she is the introduction/trainer/mother-type for most of the younger DC heroes, he still wants to see more from her powers. That explains the Banshee rip-off at the end of issue 10. He's currently experimenting to find out just how far he can take her. We'll see how well that goes.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#29  Edited By Teerack

So I've really been enjoying this series and then at about issue 11 it's like DS had a meeting and said "Hey lets ruin Ivy and also everything good about this series in our next two issues!"

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By X9

It's not excelent, but it's woth the read :)

MasterAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MasterAction

As a BoP purist, the new 52 version (first 7 issues at least) isn't great in my opinion. I like Starling and Katana is cool but Poison Ivy isn't doing it for me and the story doesn't have that Birds of Prey feel. A true Birds of Prey team is Oracle, Black Canary, Huntress and Lady Blackhawk- I miss those days

Babsgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can honestly say I am enjoying it.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sales seem low so Birds of Prey could get cancelled.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.