Gail Simone On Batgirl Joining The BIRDS OF PREY Team

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

You may recall an article we published not too long ago discussing the announcement that Barbara Gordon, Batgirl will be joining Duane Swierczynski's Birds of Prey as a permanent member of the team. We thought this was a pretty big deal since creative teams would likely have to communicate with one another about the development of the characters as well as the integration of Barbara into the series -- except that BATGIRL writer Gail Simone didn't seem to know too much about it. We decided to go straight to the source and contact Simone about how much influence she will have in Barbara's characterization in the BIRDS OF PREY series as well as how much cross over will there be. Check out the interview below.

Comic Vine: Recently DC announced that Batgirl will be teaming up with the Birds of Prey, as the latest permanent addition to the team. How much involvement will you have in the characterization of Barbara in the series?

Gail Simone: Probably not too much. My understanding is that since both books have the same editor, that she is coordinating Batgirl's appearance in Birds. Duane [Swierczynski] has been very nice and says he's following our lead with the character, and I have nothing but support for him, he seems a really good egg. But we haven't have much communication with Bop at this stage.

== TEASER ==

CV: Will we see some BoP action crossing over into your BATGIRL series?

GS: I don't think so, not too much. The Canary/Barbara friendship seems to be a connection they have kept with the relaunch, so Dinah may appear, but we're telling a story where Barbara strongly feels she needs to find her feet on her own right now.

CV: How long have Dinah and Babs known one another? Will the question of how long they have known one another/when they met/whether they are former teammates be answered, or will you and Swierczynski be starting from scratch?

GS: I don't think that question has been settled yet. I have an answer in my mind, but by all rights, the person writing Dinah should be in on that decision and since BOP has both characters, it's probably Duane's call and we will honor whatever he comes up with. I do have a belief in what I think has happened between the two of them, but I don't want to crowd Duane since that torch has been passed and he's carrying it very well.

Needless to say, there seem to be a lot of answers up in the air and it will certainly be interesting to see how much of a collaboration these two creators will have. We wouldn't mind seeing Dinah make an appearance in BATGIRL, but what do you think? Are you looking forward to Barbara Gordon joining the BIRDS OF PREY team as a permanent member? How much cross-over would you like to see?

#1 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be wonderful to see a Batgirl-BoP crossover, but at a later stage. As of right now the characters still need time to develop as they should without worrying too much about bringing other characters into the mix yet. So yes, with how Simone and Swierczynski are tackling this thus far, I think they are doing just find. An appearance is fine for now, but crossovers should be handled later when the characters become more established, especially in this New 52 DCU. Go Birds!

#2 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading that other article and reading Gail's responses it sounds like someone really dropped the ball on coordinating between these two books. Fortunately that have the same editor otherwise this crossover between these two books would be a mess. Gail having been the previous writer for BOP I think she should be like a co writer to it, like she is in the Firestorm series. I believe I heard that Fury or the Firestorm was getting dropped after the arc its on. I don't know if that's true, but if it is I hope they can include Gail in the process of the BOP book better. I bet both these books would be twice as amazing if that could happen.

#3 Posted by Roldan (241 posts) - - Show Bio

So is this part of a bigger interview or what? seems kinda pointless.

#4 Edited by gangly (107 posts) - - Show Bio

Barbara's minuscule appearance in BoP so far was way more interesting than she's been in all 3 issues of her own title. Step it up Gail, you got some heavy competition now!

#5 Posted by Kairan1979 (16711 posts) - - Show Bio

It can be nice to see Batgirl teaming up with Birds of Prey.

#6 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus: IDK i think a cross over would make those books stronger and then they could share readers. I don't think either has an outstanding number of readership. I might be wrong about that.

#7 Posted by Geniusmonkey (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm finding Gail's take on Barbara in Batgirl kind of lame if I'm honest, which is a shame because I get what a fantastic writer she can be in terms of dialogue and characterisation....So I'm really keen to see what Sweirczynski does with such an iconic, kick ass character as Batgirl, his writing on BOP has been suprisingly epic and sadly waaaaaayyyyy better than Simones output of late, which seems a little twee and nineties-ish to me.

#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously it's too late now, but I really would love to hear Gail's thoughts on why Birds of Prey has to be an all-female team. 

#9 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing how Gail didn't even know Barbra was going to be even used. I'd hope that she just ignores what happens in Birds of Pray and concentrates on her own book. BoP should be following her lead.

#10 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: Tradition

#11 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is happening a little too early... I mean are the first arcs of the books even finished yet? This is a lack of communication that should be fixed soon. How could someone not have told Gail that Batgirl was back in Birds of Prey? I mean DC or the editor should have told her something.

#12 Posted by kennybaese (1094 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Obviously it's too late now, but I really would love to hear Gail's thoughts on why Birds of Prey has to be an all-female team.

@jsphsmth said:

Eh, kinda. Hawk and Dove were a part of the Birds of Prey for at least part of Simone's run on the book right before the relaunch (I only read the first six issues and, while they were great, they were no Secret Six and money started to get a little tight so I dropped it). But yeah, it has a predominantly female cast, but I think that is fine. It's a great way to showcase some female characters that would get their own book otherwise.

#13 Edited by Dernman (14726 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me or does Batgirl not feel right in this BoP series as Batgirl. As Batgirl she seems out of place with the others in m opinion.

Either change her back to Oracle, Change the team, or keep her out of BoP.

#14 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

BoP has been very good, surprisingly so, since the Flashboot. I think that adding Babs to the mix is a good thing but it sure seems like she's going to be a background character.

#15 Posted by Gordo789 (201 posts) - - Show Bio

The current series is my first experience with BoP and honestly I think it would be better if they just left Batgirl out of it. I like the team as it is.

#16 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

Gail seems a little jaded at the fact that DC decided to make Babs apart of the team without at least talking to her about it first. sure DC can do what they want....but still Gail has done so much for Babs they should have at least talked to her about it.

#17 Edited by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@walkingcarpet: Chuck Dixon started it in the early 90s, the one shots had Babs and Dinah. His miniseries, added Catwoman, Huntress, Shiva, but not as permanent members. He even did a crossover in Showcase with Lois Lane.

When the ongoing started shortly therefter, Chuck kept the female only idea. The other writers kept the same formula when they took over the series.

It wasn't until volume 2 that they added Hawk. That was probably only because the comic was part of the Brightest Day event.

#18 Posted by Dernman (14726 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_fallen11 said:

Gail seems a little jaded at the fact that DC decided to make Babs apart of the team without at least talking to her about it first. sure DC can do what they want....but still Gail has done so much for Babs they should have at least talked to her about it.

I would be upset too if I was her.

#19 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

i will probably buy the first Birds of Prey issue in which Batgirl makes an appearance and see if it is a good issue. I hope it is good. I am kind of looking forward to the issue.

#20 Posted by kennybaese (1094 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth: Fair enough. I honestly hadn't read much more than bits and pieces of Simone's first run and then her newer run in Vol. 2. The Hawk being a part of it because of Brightest Day actually makes a ton of sense. Either way, I don't have a problem with it being an all female team. I mean, suicide squad, with the exception of Quinn, is mostly male. Same with Justice League with the exception of Diana. Superhero comics are so predominantly male that showcasing some female heroes, especially ones that are badasses and can their own is good.

#21 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to be excited because I love Barbara and Birds of Prey, but I'm upset for Gail too.

#22 Posted by MSBoyd23 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

This has to kind of feel like giving up your first born child. Honestly, if Simone didn't volunteer to leave BoP, then I don't understand why she wasn't asked to continue her rein in the New 52. I mean, she was going to bring Cassandra Cain back as a Bird. If DC's all about making money, that was definitely a money making idea.

#23 Posted by Pokeysteve (8025 posts) - - Show Bio

So Babs.......you just called up Gail Simone and got an interview? That's awesome. Anyways you would think one of the most important writers in BoP history would have been at least notified what was going with a character she's writing. Seems kind of mean. The current arc in BoP is great and it's really getting going with that last issue. Batgirl isn't as good of a read as I was hoping for and I think that's because Barbara lacks a good supporting cast. She really doesn't have anyone to talk to except her roommate and herself.

@Dernman said:

Is it just me or does Batgirl not feel right in this BoP series as Batgirl. As Batgirl she seems out of place with the others in m opinion.

Either change her back to Oracle, Change the team, or keep her out of BoP.

I'm kind of thinking the same thing. Maybe they'll work her in and it will flow.

@jsphsmth said:

@walkingcarpet: Chuck Dixon started it in the early 90s, the one shots had Babs and Dinah. His miniseries, added Catwoman, Huntress, Shiva, but not as permanent members. He even did a crossover in Showcase with Lois Lane.

When the ongoing started shortly therefter, Chuck kept the female only idea. The other writers kept the same formula when they took over the series.

It wasn't until volume 2 that they added Hawk. That was probably only because the comic was part of the Brightest Day event.

I'm pretty sure that was their first official appearance. Then the one shots and mini series started coming out.

#24 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone know when Barbara is joining the Birds of Prey. I would definitely get the first issue she joins.

#25 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@walkingcarpet said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@jsphsmth said:

Eh, kinda. Hawk and Dove were a part of the Birds of Prey for at least part of Simone's run on the book right before the relaunch (I only read the first six issues and, while they were great, they were no Secret Six and money started to get a little tight so I dropped it). But yeah, it has a predominantly female cast, but I think that is fine. It's a great way to showcase some female characters that would get their own book otherwise.

It's still gender discrimination, which irritates me. Particularly since there's no "all-male" equivalent. 
#26 Posted by entropy_aegis (14214 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Girl power ftw.Now we need Sharks of Prey with an all-male line up.But still BOP is a really good series and has been previously as well for the most part.

#27 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Girl power ftw.Now we need Sharks of Prey with an all-male line up.But still BOP is a really good series and has been previously as well for the most part.

I was thinking Dogs of War ;P  

But I don't care how good the series is, it's still sexist, and it annoys me. Especially since if an all-male team were to be made, people would complain. 
#28 Posted by entropy_aegis (14214 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I was thinking Dogs of War ;P But I don't care how good the series is, it's still sexist, and it annoys me. Especially since if an all-male team were to be made, people would complain.

LOL.I think BOP does have a justification when you look at the overall number of books starring males.

#29 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I was thinking Dogs of War ;P But I don't care how good the series is, it's still sexist, and it annoys me. Especially since if an all-male team were to be made, people would complain.

LOL.I think BOP does have a justification when you look at the overall number of books starring males.

Yes, but that's not exclusionary. It's not like "Action Comics" has a no girls allowed stigma to it, Birds of Prey is a team, and they don't accept guys. The same thing with Marvel's "Heralds" team. 
#30 Posted by entropy_aegis (14214 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Yes, but that's not exclusionary. It's not like "Action Comics" has a no girls allowed stigma to it, Birds of Prey is a team, and they don't accept guys. The same thing with Marvel's "Heralds" team.

Has it really been stated that no male can join?

@MSBoyd23 said:

This has to kind of feel like giving up your first born child. Honestly, if Simone didn't volunteer to leave BoP, then I don't understand why she wasn't asked to continue her rein in the New 52. I mean, she was going to bring Cassandra Cain back as a Bird. If DC's all about making money, that was definitely a money making idea.

Except BOP is'nt Gail's baby,her last run was unsatisfactory,Cass is a complicated case.I mean Marvel can't get Taskmaster right.

#31 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Not explicity, but when there're guys called NightWING and Red ROBIN, it seems ridiculous that they not be there. 

Even though they did have annoying solo books at the time. 
#32 Posted by entropy_aegis (14214 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Not explicity, but when there're guys called NightWING and Red ROBIN, it seems ridiculous that they not be there. Even though they did have annoying solo books at the time.

There has been a female Nightwing though,and 2 female Robins.Who had annoying solo books?

#33 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Not explicity, but when there're guys called NightWING and Red ROBIN, it seems ridiculous that they not be there. Even though they did have annoying solo books at the time.

There has been a female Nightwing though,and 2 female Robins.Who had annoying solo books?

Not operating solo while a BoP team operating concurrently. 

Tim and Dick had annoying solo titles. 
#34 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW, what an asshole I am. I already thought whe was on the team with the new 52. I didn't read because Im boycotting Batgirl. I hate that she's Batgirl again and not Oracle beacause, to me, it takes aways something from the character of Barabarra Gordon. Even if it was another charter, someone with powers, that had was in her situation and was.........we'll say cured, it would be differant, but it wasn't. It happened to what we call a "STREET" super hero. If she was cured waaay back then it would have been differant, but instead she was developed/evolved into Oracle. A charter, who not only became something on a pretty large scale in Batman comics, but a pretty damn large character in the DCU. If she was healed before Oracle it would have been fine because its in a comic book world where anything can happen, like Bruce coming back after getting his back broke by Bane (and then having Bane throw his body from the top of a building down many stories to the ground). No tho. It didn't happen. She bacame Oracle. Not just a beloved character but somewhat of a staplemate of being a strong willed person who overcame adversity in a dire situation. She became an example of a person who overcame that, someone got over it, beyond it, dealt with it, and grew. DC took that away. Not just that, but they also took away something else. They took away the thing that in a way made "Steet" hero stand apart from other heros. Not just the, having no powers thing, but also the risk they take because of having no powers. It just might be the one thing that makes Batman so damn cool. How many times have you said, or thought, "BUT HE HAS NO POWERS". It's kind of funny. It seems that when ever I might be having that very rare conversation with a non-comic reader about Batman I mention how Batman can beat Superman, and that even in the comics, on a few differant situations, Superman has given Batman his props by saying that Batman (not is so many words) is the only person that he is afraid of. EVERY SINGLE TIME the non-comic reader looks at me like I have hole in my forehead until I mention how in the Dark Knight Returns Batman not only beats Superman but he beats Superman in a way that not even comic book fanboys can debate. Sure its hard to say he does it "believably" because lets face it, it's a comic book and people can't fly, but in the world of comics that we hold so dearly to our hearts, it's one of those moments that is believable. Anyway, by giving Batgirl her legs back, it just takes away from that risk all us readers saw. It kills a character that represented strength and growth, strong will, adaptation, evolution, and hope. I hate it. I hate it so much. I hate it so much that even tho I was a reader of Birds of Prey I actually boycotted it. In a way it even took a something away from the Joker. Killing Joke not only gave us Jokers orgin and also showed us that Batman, even tho he's considered a hero, something a lot of us never even considered before. That Batman is just as FU$KING loony as the his rogue of villains. What Killing Joke did was make the Joker actually take an upwards step as a threat, his villainy, evilness, risk of being in the presence of. Think of it. Sure he was a bad guy, Batmans worst enemy. Very popular. Pretty much on par as popularity with some fictional bad guys like Darth Vader, he was never as evil as he was before Killing Joke. Its a safe bet for sure that there was a story where there was something along the lines of the Joker wanting to do something like poison Gothams water system which would result in killing millions (which is just about as evil as anything I can even think of) but he was never as evil as he was till Killing Joke. Til he shot a character we know and love. Til he not only shot her, but also had his henchmen strip her naked and take pictures of her just to show them to her, also stripped naked, father who is placed on a fun house roller coaster by crazy diaper dressed midgets and shown the pictures of his now shot, bleeding, naked, crippled, (and what I strongly believe was also a non-mentioned rape) daughter while hearing a song being sung by the Joker about just saying screw it just go crazy because sometimes life is like that and it deals you a situation where life sucks so bad no matter how hard you try to making it livable that in the end it doesn't matter. The Joker was never that crazy or evil til that moment. Til I read Killing Joke. Til I saw that one picture inside of him sitting on throne of baby dolls with the word bubble reading "You're going mad" and they took that away from him. That is why I boycotted. Sure its a long reason and a rambleing by me but its still my reason and I think its a good one.

#35 Posted by kennybaese (1094 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt I suppose it is. At the same time there are characters like Black Canary that would never be able to carry a book on their own (the quality of the character aside). Also, my first thought was that there have got to be plenty of teams that don't have any female heroes in them, and then completely failed to come up with any (on DC's side anyway), so you do have a point.
#36 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss our regular post-Crisis/pre-Flashpoint DCU already :/

I know some of you don't, but those are barely the ones who used to read DC anyways!

@the_fallen11 said:

True that!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.