'Birds of Prey' #4 To Feature 'Batgirl

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Just last week DC fans saw the first issue of 'Batgirl' hit the stands and sell over 100 thousand copies. Now, DC has revealed that 'Batgirl,' Barbara Gordon will be returning to the 'Birds of Prey' in the series' fourth issue.

Does this mean that in issue #4 we will discover whether or not the three years that Barbara spent recovering from 'The Killing Joke,' she also spent as 'Oracle' and a founding member of the 'Birds of Prey.' The all new 'Birds of Prey series will be written by Duane Swierczynski and will feature an all new team of crime-fighting ladies. Not only will issue #4 feature Batgirl, but Swierczynski also plans on "changing the status quo" of the team. Issue #4 of 'Birds of Prey' hits the stands on December 21st, 2011 and will feature a cover by David Finch and Richard Friend. What do you think of Barbara's appearance in the all-new 'Birds of Prey,' and do you hope they will address whether or not the heroine had any hand in the establishment of the all-girl team? Check out the full image below.

Source: DC Source

== TEASER ==
#1 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hopeful that this DOES address Babs having been Oracle for at least a while and paint more of the narrative to why she eventually got back on her feet to fight crime as Batgirl once again. Awesome stuff!

#2 Edited by Sakurafire (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if I'm happy with them switching the costumes from issue to issue. I actually did a double-take on whether or not it was Babs.

Also, what's up with all the super-armored Bat people?

#3 Posted by Chane (539 posts) - - Show Bio

In that cover Barbara's costume looks very much like Stephanies.

Who is the girl with the tattoo sleeve?

#4 Posted by SlightConfuse (105 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Hope Summers is joining he team as well. Also how is Batgirl not buckling in that position

#5 Posted by Omega-Man (761 posts) - - Show Bio

What happe ned to Barbara's outfit? it looks like Steph's. Also where did Babs get the money to make that suit? she just magically got it no explianation.

#6 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this is what I want! If only Helena and Zinda appear alongside with them...but Dinah and Babs will do :)

#7 Posted by Sakurafire (60 posts) - - Show Bio

@Omega-Man said:

What happe ned to Barbara's outfit? it looks like Steph's. Also where did Babs get the money to make that suit? she just magically got it no explianation.

Welcome to the DCnU, where anything's possible.

#8 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

Right now, I'm being cautious on the New BoP series. Batgirl #1 was a great read, and I hope Oracle still existed when Barbara was in the wheelchair.

#9 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12512 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome. definitely picking up thiis series

#10 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting. I'm assuming that isn't Lady Blackhawk over to the right, but if it ain't who is it?

#11 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a shame that issue 1 isn't coming out today, this intrigued me enough to put it further towards the top stack of my pile. Regardless of alterations to the status quo, story or anything else, I have to say that the visual element of that cover makes me really primed to like this group. The new girl looks really cool, I like her style... Ivy also gets me in a different sense and the emotional coldness of Katana actually even pulls me into that image.

I didn't really mind Canary's redesign, but I finally figured out what made me uncomfortable about it, not from this image but from the preview pages... the style and particularly the color scheme (focus on that shade of aqua-green and yellow) reminds me of Granny Goodness. Once that got in my head... yeesh. The youthful face there is helping me fight that image, but I keep almost hearing the animated series Granny voice.

#12 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: The girl with the tats is the one I'm assuming you're talking about, and that is Starling, a new character introduced to the title, IIRC.

#13 Posted by someone042 (37 posts) - - Show Bio

lovin it but who are the other girls

#14 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheOptimist said:

@ReVamp: The girl with the tats is the one I'm assuming you're talking about, and that is Starling, a new character introduced to the title, IIRC.

F**k new characters!

So, is that Katana too, or is it another character?

#15 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

Does it really count as returning to Birds of Prey? We have yet to get a handle on all this new continuity. Do the Birds of Prey even still have the same origin?

I'm still trying to figure out how Cassandra is going to fit into all this, and how has she been changed when you look at all the people who helped bring her to where she is have been changed.

#16 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12512 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@TheOptimist said:

F**k new characters!

wow lol way to have an open mind revamp, remember everyone was a new character once.

and yes its Katana

#17 Edited by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! Good to see Ivy's still looking hotter than ever, even with clothes on. i'm still not too crazy about Dinah's new outfit tho

#18 Posted by kennybaese (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sakurafire said:

I don't know if I'm happy with them switching the costumes from issue to issue. I actually did a double-take on whether or not it was Babs.

Same. Looking a little more closely, the costume design is identical to the costume found in Batgirl #1, but the colors are different. Silver boots instead of gold and way more purple.

#19 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that a new costume, or did Finch not get the memo?

#20 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if they'll ever make an all male superhero team. Probably not, that would be sexist. -__-

#21 Posted by ltbrd (560 posts) - - Show Bio

this costume design looks better than her series one.
#22 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@ReVamp said:

@TheOptimist said:

F**k new characters!

wow lol way to have an open mind revamp, remember everyone was a new character once.

and yes its Katana

I know, I was kidding :P I actually like new characters. Eminisence of Blades is my favourite new characters :D

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I wonder if they'll ever make an all male superhero team. Probably not, that would be sexist. -__-

FTBB needs to write a book. LOL.

#23 Posted by Texaswatermelon (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is Batgirl's fist bigger than Black Canary's waist?

#24 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12512 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@ReVamp said:

@TheOptimist said:

F**k new characters!

and yes its Katana

I know, I was kidding :P I actually like new characters. Eminisence of Blades is my favourite new characters :D

well now i just feel stupid.

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

FTBB needs to write a book. LOL.

nah....cuz then he wouldnt have time to write my fan-fics for me :DD

#25 Posted by 1fearless1 (62 posts) - - Show Bio

@Omega-Man : Umm she somehow found her way into Bruce wayne's closet and then went into his garage and cut up all of his tires and then tad a???

#26 Posted by 1fearless1 (62 posts) - - Show Bio

What's with that chick with an orange on her humongous white forehead? RE-DO!!

#27 Posted by LB70145 (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I find it sad and hilarious that no one can tell that is Black Canary on the right. Why does costume suck this badly? I mean no one can recognize her now!

#28 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cryoedge said:
Looks like Hope Summers is joining he team as well. Also how is Batgirl not buckling in that position

Humor escaping me, am I to assume you are refering to what should be Poison Ivy as Hope Summers? I hate Hope Summers, she's annoying and needs to go away. 

Bring back Jean. Sorry marvel hiccup.
#29 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, these covers are getting ridiculous...I sure hope all these Birds of Prey covers are just test images to keep people shocked when the real ones come out because they're all the same!

#30 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joe Venom said:

I would probably bet on that :P

But part of me wish it was simply Steph still Batgirl, present in the DCnU along Barb!Batgirl. (two Batgirls..so what??)

@LB70145 said:

Wow, I find it sad and hilarious that no one can tell that is Black Canary on the right. Why does costume suck this badly? I mean no one can recognize her now!

One word: hands-fishnets!

#31 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

I would really like to see Stephanie or Cassandra in this title.

#32 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this will be a good team up. i know I will pick up the issue

#33 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

So batgirl cant afford her own apartment but her suit looks $100,000. hmmm...

#34 Posted by Grimoire (531 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting is all I'll say for now.

#35 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

They have that - the Justice League.

animated clay pots are asexual.

#36 Posted by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

That's a stupid thing to say, dude. Seriously.

Anyway, since when did Poison Ivy become a heroine? Is this another retcon? Does that mean she was never a villain?

#37 Posted by The Poet (8291 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm...I may glance at it, but I doubt I'll get it...already have enough to read...

#38 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joe Venom said:

Maybe they're revamping the revamp? Gotta keep those sales high.

#39 Posted by Omega-Man (761 posts) - - Show Bio

If people don't know who the woman with the tat sleeve is thats Rose Tattoo from WIldstorm comics.

#40 Edited by _transgojobot_ (49 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cryoedge said:

Also how is Batgirl not buckling in that position

Batgirl looks like she's really trying to hold it in, isn't she?

::sigh:: Yet, another unfortunate example of an artist NOT giving a flying fig about anatomy. Sure. Babs looks hot and badass, but that pose is incredibly painful to stand in (re: "Ow! My knee!"). Go on and try it at home, kids. David Finch sure as hell didn't.

#41 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know is that today at least a couple of College age fan girls were asking about Birds of Prey and talking about the title, along with other DC comics. I think this may be one that will do well, because interest seems to be good. Don't know about how they are changing Barbara Gordon but I don't think it will be too much of an issue for some people.

#42 Posted by The Impersonator (5000 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

at first i thought it was steph not barbra lol. it looks like babs took stephs suit and upgraded it a little. idk why they don"t do a batgirl inc like they did with batman so steph and casandra can still be batgirls to along with babs.

#44 Posted by RareCheshire (190 posts) - - Show Bio

This group actually looks somewhat good with Babs in it.

#45 Posted by slick23 (460 posts) - - Show Bio

i want cassandra cain ! :(((

#46 Posted by War Killer (19963 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does Ivy have black randomly covering her body? O_o

#47 Posted by Mercy_ (92503 posts) - - Show Bio

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

#48 Posted by Mercy_ (92503 posts) - - Show Bio
and it’s yet another prime example of how companies like DC and Marvel obviously have no idea what their target demographic is or should be. This is the cover to Birds of Prey, which even in it’s new form since the reboot is a book about friendship and female superheroes kicking ass. But this cover screams ‘pin-up eye candy inside, women need not apply’ and is the same as every other cover aimed at 18 to 10 year old males. I would personally feel uneasy about holding a comic with a cover like this in public no matter how much I wanted to read the book.
More than anything a comic cover is supposed to sell a book, not drive consumers away or make them think twice about spending their money on your product. People I’ve seen defending this cover have said, ‘well it’s not that bad, it could be worse.’ When someone says to me ‘it could be worse’ I imagine someone walking up to me on the street, picking up a dog turd and rubbing it in my face and then when I get angry they yell ‘don’t be mad, it could be worse. I could have rubbed two dog turds in your face!’
Yes, it could be worse. But DC is a business and they’ve been in the business of comics for a very long time, you think they’d be some improvement along the way - especially since they’re trying to push ‘diversity’ post-reboot. The same reaction was received to David Finch’s variant cover of Justice League #1 and now only a month later we have this awful cover. Surely someone could take Finch aside and just say, ‘we love your work but maybe you should think about your female poses. Picture your wife or your daughter in that pose. If it makes you uncomfortable perhaps you should reconsider.’ I mean I love David Finch’s work, I really do. I just think when it comes to the female form he has no idea what to do with it besides propping it up next to some male counterparts just to make them seem cooler as if he’s selling a car.

Could not really agree with this more.

#49 Posted by Samimista (20597 posts) - - Show Bio

At a first glimpse I thought it was Stephanie. I'll be picking up this issue though since Babs is in it. <3

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.