Birds of Prey #1 Solicit

#1 Edited by Mercy_ (92673 posts) - - Show Bio

BIRDS OF PREY #1

Written by DUANE SWIERCZYNSKIArt and cover by JESUS SAIZ

One is wanted for a murder she didn’t commit. The other is on the run because she knows too much. They are Dinah Laurel Lance and Ev Crawford – a.k.a. Black Canary and Starling – and together, as Gotham City’s covert ops team, they’re taking down the villains other heroes can’t touch. But now they’ve attracted the attention of a grizzled newspaper reporter who wants to expose them, as well as a creepy, chameleon-like strike team that’s out to kill them.

So, it looks like the Birds will be some sort of Outsiders/Secret Six-like team judging by the solicit. That's kind of what I was expecting as the Birds always did have that secretive aspect to them. I can't say that I'm excited about the roster because frankly the only thing that makes this team the Birds of Prey (other than Black Canary) is it's name.

I'll hold off further judging until September when I can actually read the issue, but as of now, I am underwhelmed.

#2 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

Aside from the the Grifter #1 Solicit I haven't seen an image yet for the cover of any New DC book that didn't suck.You would think if their starting a new they would at least get some good artists on board.Black Canary looks awful and who the hell is that supposed to be in the back..Posion Ivy? 

#3 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I want this book to be good, as the current iteration is, but without Huntress, I won't be jumping in, sad to say.

#4 Posted by Splash (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Black Canary's new look. Maybe they'll retcon her ever dating and marrying the douchebag Green Arrow. She's way too good for him!

#5 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm buying this mainly because I like the writer (something more fans should consider, imo) I'm a huge Poison Ivy fan, and I suppose it'd make sense for her to be in this, in the sense that the other Sirens are in their own titles as well, but...she looks radically different to the Ivy I'm used too. I dig the outfit, but the hair and face are a little odd to me.

Also, I wouldn't count Huntress out just yet. Not being on the cover =/= not in the story.

#6 Posted by roboticjesus (71 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
Aside from the the Grifter #1 Solicit I haven't seen an image yet for the cover of any New DC book that didn't suck.You would think if their starting a new they would at least get some good artists on board.Black Canary looks awful and who the hell is that supposed to be in the back..Posion Ivy? 
Going to have to agree with you on the quality of the covers.  Pretty horrible and disappointing. DC employs a lot of brilliant artists and you would think we would see better cover art.
#7 Posted by Charmix (11958 posts) - - Show Bio

Poison Ivy<3 

#8 Posted by Pokeysteve (8231 posts) - - Show Bio
@Splash said:
...Maybe they'll retcon her ever dating and marrying the douchebag Green Arrow. She's way too good for him!
One of my favorite posts ever.  

I've always liked the idea of Poison Ivy being a good guy. I hope she's a good guy in this anyways. 
#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92673 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve: I'm pretty sure the full info that's been released mentions Ivy being in jail previously.

#10 Edited by Pokeysteve (8231 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Maybe she's reformed. Kind of like Savant =]
#11 Edited by harleyquinn12 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

I might try out the first issue. I mean, no Huntress and Babs hurts this. , they could show up, but at least Hawk and Dove are gone. I don't really think they fit in with the Birds.
#12 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Poison Ivy in the Birds of Prey? My logical self says that Gotham City Sirens proved she is not a team player, but I love her character, as it's such a breath of fresh air. 
Do you happen to know what's happening with Huntress? Poison Ivy and Huntress on the same team would be a very interesting dynamic.
#13 Posted by Mercy_ (92673 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect: I freaking hate Ivy on the Birds of Prey.  

Huntress has a six-part miniseries coming out in September, IIRC. 
#14 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Hah, how so? Any particular reason?
And that's freaking awesome! I'm totally setting aside some funds to get that.
#15 Posted by Mercy_ (92673 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect: She's NOT a good fit at all. Not if they plan on keeping this team anything like the previous incarnations. It just really doesn't feel like the Birds of Prey to me. Other than Black Canary there's no previous connections to any of the old incarnations and to boot, she's the only bird character. I'm just...meh. I like Swierczynski (or at least what I've read of him, which was his Cable series) and I like the Birds of Prey, I just don't know how much I'm going to like this book. 
#16 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: If you think about it, the fact that she's not a good fit is what makes it so exciting. She would probably get incredibly out of hand at times, if it meant protecting nature. Of course, I agree, it is a little odd to see her as a crime-fighting character. She's more of an anti-villain.  

Ah well, each to his/her own views.
#17 Posted by Mercy_ (92673 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect: That's a fair point, it just doesn't sit that well with me. I dunno. I'm definitely giving this book at least three issues, I just can't help but have low expectations for it as a measure of self-preservation. 
#18 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

BoP just wont be the same without Babs, Helena, and Zinda... poor Dinah.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.